South Dakota Genealogy Trails
Genealogy Trails History Group - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails lead
Brookings County South Dakota

Obituaries and Death Notices

ANNA BOHLKE  (d. 7Dec1979)

     Funeral services for Anna Karine Bohlke, 91, were held Sunday afternoon at First Lutheran Church with the Rev. Carroll M. Bagaason officiating.  Burial was in the church Cemetery.  Rude’s Funeral Home was in charge of the arrangements.

     Mrs. Bohlke died Friday at Brookview Manor where she had been a resident.

     Anna Bohlke was born Sept. 15, 1888, in Flandreau to Hans and Elizabeth (Paulson) Hanson.  She was educated in Moody County rural schools and was graduated from Flandreau High School, Sioux Falls Business College and La Crosse, Wis., Business University.  She taught at the South Dakota Business College, Watertown.

     For several years she served as clerk, cashier and bookkeeper for Flandreau’s Tempte and Tempte firm and the A.F. Grimm firm at Brookings.  She entered politics and served 25 years alternating terms of treasurer, auditor and deputy.  Granted the first franchise for Culligan’s Soft Water Service, she built, owned and operated the service for 10 years.

     In 1945 she married Henry E. Bohlke.  He died in 1950.

     Mrs. Bohlke served 20 years on the Savings and Loan Association board of directors, was on the zoning board for 20 years, was Brookings County chairman of the Crippled Children’s Society and a member of the board of directors for the Crippled Children’s School and Hospital.  She served on boards of Salvation Army and Y.W.C.A., was a charter member and past president of Brookings Business and Professional Women, was on the First Lutheran Sunday School staff for 35 years, and served as treasurer of First Lutheran Church Women.

     Survivors include a sister, Mrs. Ross D. (Marie) Davies of Brookings, and two nieces, Mrs.  Robert D. DeKraay of Edina, Minn., and Mrs. Duane B. Carson of San Diego, Calif.

[The Brookings Register Dec 10, 1979.  Submitted by Sheana Siegel]

Birth: Sept. 7, 1912 (Flandreau, SD)
Parents: Albert & Lottie (Page) Ringham
Marriage: W. D. Burdick (July 17, 1929, Brookings, SD) 7 children. He d. 1975
Death: March 9, 1993 (Hand County Memorial Hospital, Miller, SD)
Age: 80 yrs 6 mos 2 ds
Funeral: March 12, 1993 (Church of Christ, Highmore, SD)
Burial: Highmore City Cemetery (Highmore, SD)
Education: Volga, SD schools
Occupation: operated laundromat in Highmore
Locations: lived at Volga and Arlington after marriage, to Highmore in 1963; to Highmore Healthcare Center (June, 1989.)
Organizations/Civic: Church of Christ, American Legion Auxiliary
Preceded in death by: husband (March, 1975), son Duane (Dec. 1991), parents, 2 sisters, grandson Adam (March 1990)
[From the memorial leaflet Contributed by Jacque McDonnell; Survivor information omitted for privacy]

Birth: Dec. 27, 1929 (Volga, SD)
Parents: William & Marie (Ringham) Burdick
Marriage: Mavis Kelley (Dec. 15, 1949, Brookings, SD)
Death: Dec. 29, 1991 (Mobridge, SD)
Age: 62
Funeral: Jan. 2, 1992 (Kelsing Chapel, Mobridge, SD,)Burial: Highmore City Cemetery (Highmore, SD)
Education: Volga schools
Occupation: carpenter; Anderson Construction
Locations: relocated from Volga to Highmore (age 16, lived with aunt and uncle)
Organizations/Civic: Moose Club; North Central Genealogical Society
Preceded in death by: father
[From the memorial leaflet & obituary clipping Contributed by Jacque McDonnell; Survivor information omitted for privacy]

George Columbus, age 16, Indian, born in Minnesota, died in December; cause of death was suicide by drowning. [Names Of Persons Who Died In Dakota Territory During The Year Ending June 1, 1870; South Dakota Historical Collections Illustrated, Compiled by the State Department of History.  Vol. 10, 1920; Sub by KS]

E. G. Davis, city engineer at Brookings, died suddenly while at the power house. Heart failure is given as the cause of death. [Aberdeen Daily News (24 Sept. 1903) transcribed by FoFG MZ]

Brookings: Elizabeth K. Easton of Brookings died Tuesday morning, Jan. 11, 2011, at Golden Living Center in Arlington, S.D., at the age of 94 years, seven months and 25 days. Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011, at First United Methodist Church in Brookings, with interment at Prospect Hill Cemetery in Wessington Springs, S.D. Visitations will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Eidsness Funeral Home in Brookings. Elizabeth Way Kieser Easton was born May 16, 1916, to H. Ward and Lulu Irene (Way) Kieser in their farm house in Viola Township, Jerauld County, Wessington Springs, S.D. She was the first grandchild of Henry H. and Martha E. Kieser and John Way. She was baptized in the Viola Methodist Episcopal Church. She started school at the age of seven at Way School in Bristol Township in Aurora County. She was a fast learner, and by her third year she was in the fifth grade. She later attended Hillside school in Viola Township. Her mother told her that she started talking at an early age - and never stopped! She graduated from Wessington Springs High School in 1933. In the fall of 1933, she enrolled in the Wessington Springs Junior College to earn her teaching certificate. In the fall of 1934, she began teaching at Spring Valley school just northeast of Wessington Springs and stayed with the nearby Shryock family. She taught there two terms, earning $35 a month, out of which she had to pay room and board ($12) and also for her college education.  Beth also taught two terms near New Underwood, S.D. From 1937 through 1940, she went to summer school at Black Hills Teachers College in Spearfish, S.D., so she could teach in a town school. She then taught in Sturgis from 1941 through 1944.
In 1943, she married Charles Easton, who she met while attending Wessington Springs Junior College. At the time, Charles was in the Navy and stationed in Cuba. They were married in Sioux Falls by the same preacher who had married her parents in 1914. She returned to Sturgis to teach, and he went back to Cuba.
In war time, 1944, she decided to go to school to be a weather observer for the military. She received her training in Minneapolis and Cincinnati, Ohio, and was later stationed on Catawba Island in Lake Erie, near Port Clinton, Ohio. Beth and Chuck were divorced in 1947. She came back to South Dakota to teach in Watertown. In 1950, she enrolled in the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, where she earned her bachelor's degree in home economics. In 1953, she took the position as home economist in Britton, S.D., until 1964, when she resigned and went back to college to earn her master's degree at Iowa State in Ames. In 1965, she accepted the position on the staff of SDSU in Brookings as head Extension clothing specialist. She kept that position until she retired in 1979, after 26 years in extension work. In March 1980, Beth and Chuck were again united in marriage and made their home in Brookings. During their 14 years of marriage, they traveled to Europe, New Zealand, Australia and Hawaii, and were planning their next trip to Alaska when Chuck's health failed. He passed away in July 1994.
Beth continued to travel some, including a trip to Alaska. Besides traveling, Beth loved to garden and especially enjoyed raising beautiful flowers and often furnished flowers for her church, First United Methodist. She served in various positions in the church and remained active until her health failed. She was a member and held local and state offices in the following organizations: BPW, Zonta International, AAUW, NARFE, AHEA, United Methodist Women and the care group of First United Methodist. Because she had no children, Beth took great interest in other people's children by working with youth organizations, especially 4-H. She enjoyed entertaining these students when they attended college at SDSU. In June 2000, she moved into assisted living in Brookings, and in September 2001, she entered Beverly Health Care Center in Arlington, which later became Golden Living Center.
Survivors include her brother, Kenneth (Gladys) Kieser of Wessington Springs, S.D.; two nephews, Randy (Linda) Kieser of Torrington, Wyo., and Jeff (Laura) Kieser of Wessington Springs; one niece, Debra (Dale) Kunkel of Deadwood, S.D.; grandnephews, Paul (Danielle) Kunkel of Laramie, Wyo., and Reid Kunkel of Troutdale, Ore.; two grandnieces, Kayla (Trevor) Madler of Hampton, Minn., and Andrea (Brian) Feist of Jordan, Minn.; one great-grandniece, Irene Madler; two great-grandnephews, Bryce Kunkel and Weston Feist; and many cousins.  She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband; and brother, Ivan Kieser, who was killed in World War II. [Published in Aberdeen News on January 14, 2011; Contributed by her cousin, Harold Way]

Birth: November 17, 1911 (Holabird, SD)
Parents: William B. Jr. and Annie Jane (Gadd) Hamlin
Marriage: Elzora E. Olson (June 25, 1937, Brookings, SD). 8 children.
Death: December 3, 1988 (St. Mary's Hospital, Pierre, SD)
Age: 77 yrs 16 ds
Funeral: Tuesday, December 6, 1988 (Hyde County Memorial Auditorium, Highmore, SD)Burial: Highmore City Cemetery (Highmore, SD)
Education: Holabird schools
Occupation: worked on Minnesota farms as a young man. Ranched south of Holabird after marriage.
Organizations/Civic: Church of Christ; served on school board, Holabird Township Board, ASCS County Committee.
Preceded in death by: parents, 4 brothers, 1 infant sister, 3 grandchildren (Laura Hamlin, Jeffrey & Elly Dvorak)
[From the memorial leaflet Contributed by Jacque McDonnell; Survivor information omitted for privacy]

HAMMOND, HOWARD  (newspaper date 11-7-83; found clipping in old scrapbook at Brookings Public Library. Transcribed by Sheana Siegel)

Funeral services for Howard Jennings Hammond, 81, Brookings, were held at 2 p.m.  Monday, at the First United Presbyterian Church with the Rev. Richard Melin officiating.  Burial was in the Brookings Greenwood Cemetery.

Hammond was born July 30, 1902, at Montrose, to Harry and Bertha Hammond.  He died Friday, Nov. 4, at the Sioux Valley Hospital in Sioux Falls.  He moved to the Bruce area to farm from Centerville in 1915.  He moved to Brookings in 1918.  On Sept. 27, 1926, he married Elsie Christiansen in DeSmet.  He was employed at the agronomy department at South Dakota State University from 1927 to 1943 and at the power plant from 1943 to 1950.  From 1950 to 1970 he was a plumber at SDSU.

He was a member of the First United Presbyterian Church of Brookings.  Survivors include his wife, Elsie, of Estelline; one son, DeVon of Beloit Wis.; one daughter, Darlen Mavis Duff of Corvallis,  Ore.; four grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.  He was preceded in death by his parents, four brothers, and one sister.


Birth: April 6, 1911 (Hyde co., on family farm)
Parents: Wright & Marie (Olsen) Hanson
Marriage: Louise Tompkins (Pierre, SD; Feb. 14, 1943) 7 children
Death: February 4, 1991 (Hand County Memorial Hospital, Miller, SD)
Age: 79 yrs 9 mos 28 ds
Funeral: Thursday, February 7, 1991 (United Methodist Church, Highmore, SD)
Burial: Highmore City Cemetery, Highmore, SD
Education: Brooking School of Agriculture (graduated 1931)
Occupation: farming and ranching
Organizations/Civic: School board, township board, director Federal Land Bank
Other: Methodist baptism
Preceded in death by: parents, infant son
[From the memorial leaflet Contributed by Jacque McDonnell; Survivor information omitted for privacy]

NEVA HARDING(d. 5Jan1978)  “Brookings’ Oldest Resident Dies”

     Mrs. Albert (Neva) Harding, 105, the city's oldest resident, died Thursday morning at the United Retirement Center, where she had resided since 1970.  Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Sunday in St. Paul's Episcopal Church with the Rev. Frank M. Thorburn officiating.  Burial will be in Greenwood Cemetery.  Rude's Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.  Neva Marie Whaley was born June 5, 1872, in Rock Island County, Illinois to Josiah and Susan Whaley.  She came with her parents to De Smet in 1880.  After graduating from De Smet High School in 1889, she taught school in Kingsbury County for several years.  She graduated from South Dakota State College in 189 and married Albert S. Harding July 6, 1897, at De Smet.  They made their home home in Brookings, where he was a professor in the SDSC history department.  He died in 1952.

     Mrs. Harding was one of the founders of the Brookings Women's Club and served as its first president in 1900.  She was an active member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church and Guild and also a lifelong Democrat.  Her great interest in higher education made her one of SDSU's most enthusiastic alumna.  Until this past October, she had been honored for the past several years as SDSU's oldest living alumna in the annual Hobo Day Parade.  After her 80th birthday, Mrs. Harding has painted many pictures and wrote two autobiographies, one in the 1960s and the second, "I recall Pioneer Days in South Dakota," that was published in 1972 by the Brookings Woman's Club.  On her 102nd birthday, she was honored by Gov. Richard Kneip who proclaimed June 5, 1974 as "Neva Harding Day."  She is survived by one son, Robert of Edmunds, Wash.; five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.  [The Brookings Register 1978; submitted by Sheana Siegel]


HENDRICKS, CORA  (Clipping found in old scrapbook at Brookings Public Library.  Transcribed by Sheana Siegel)

Brookings--  Cora Estella Hendricks, 78, Brookings, died Wednesday at her home.  Cora Jones was born Jan. 21, 1909, in rural White.  She received her education in White. On Feb. 25, 1931, she married Julius Hendricks in Brookings.  The couple farmed near White for one year, then began farming in rural Brookings.  They moved to Brookings in 1959.  From then until 1977, they owned and operated Hendricks Apartments, Brookings.



Nicholas Hermann of Elkton died at that place last week, aged 49 years.[Aberdeen Daily News (11 Mar. 1912) transcribed by FoFG MZ]

CLARA HOLM  (died 7Mar1978)

 Mrs. Edwin (Clara) Holm, 96, 400 7th St., died Tuesday, in Good Samaritan Hospital, Portland, Ore.

Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Monday in First Lutheran Church with the Rev. Carroll M. Bagaason officiating, and at 2:30 p.m. at Our Savior Lutheran Church, Redfield, with the Rev. Al Goldammer officiating.  Burial will be in Greenlawn Cemetery, Redfield.

Visitations may be made from 2 to 9 p.m. Sunday at Rude’s Funeral Home and Monday at the church preceding services.

Clara Thompson was born Oct. 14, 1881, to Mr. and Mrs. Ole W. Thompson in a sod home at Bruce.  She taught school at Brandt and in Sterling Township, Brookings County.

She was married to Edwin A. Holm Oct. 14, 1920, in Deercreek Church, Bruce.  They lived in Bruce, moving to Tulare in 1933.  Mr. Holm died at Custer in 1949.

Mrs. Holm moved to Redfield in 1951 and came to Brookings in 1959.  She was active in church work, teaching Sunday school at First Lutheran Church until past the age of 80.

Survivors include one son, Eugene of Tulare; one daughter, Mrs. Alvin (Doris) Eisele of Portland, Ore.; 10 grandchildren; one great-grandchild, two brothers, Lee O. Thompson and Martin Thompson, both of Brookings, and two sisters, Eva Thompson of Brookings and Mrs. Olga Norgaard of Minot, N.D.

[The Brookings Register, March, 1978; submitted by Sheana Siegel]

Volga – Alfred T. Howard, a pioneer, is dead, aged 74. He was a resident in Illinois when the Indians still roamed the prairies around Alton, and was one of the early gold seekers who followed the trail, to the Pacific with ox teams, returning east during the early years of the war. He settled on a farm in Sioux county, Iowa, in 1870, but for the last twenty years had lived in this state. [Aberdeen Daily News (9 Sept. 1907) transcribed by FoFG MZ]

Brookings, S.D., March 24. – John H. Hughson, one of the first settlers of Brookings county, died at his home in this city after an illness of but four days, his death being due to pneumonia. He is survived by a wife and two sons. [Aberdeen Daily News (24 Mar. 1908) transcribed by FoFG MZ]

The death of Mrs. John Lundun occurred at her home south of Brookings. Her illness covered a period of ten weeks and death was due to crysipelas. She was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Trygstad, pioneer residents of Brookings county, and was born February 26, 1879. Her marriage to John Lunde took place in 1900. The husband and four children survive. [Aberdeen Daily News (8 Dec. 1911) transcribed by FoFG MZ]

BROOKINGS, S.D., April 24. – Mrs. Matthews, wife of Hon. G. A. Mathews, died of consumption yesterday. The deceased had been a resident of this city since 1882, and was highly esteemed. [Aberdeen Daily News (25 Apr. 1889) transcribed by FoFG MZ]

Birth: Jan. 31, 1941 (Mobridge, SD)
Parents: George T. & Madge Mickelson
Marriage: Linda Jane McCahren (Sioux Falls, Aug 10, 1963)
Death: April 19, 1993 (near Dubuque, IA, plane crash)
Age: 52
Funeral: April 22, 1993 and April 23, 1993 (First United Methodist Church, Brookings, SD)
Burial: Greenwood Cemetery (Eidsness Funeral Home, Brookings)
Education: Sioux Falls Washington High School (1959); USD (Business Administration 1963 and juris doctorate 1965)
Occupation: Special Prosecutor, Office of the Attorney General of SD; private law practice in Brookings; Brookings County States Attorney (1970, two terms); SD House of Representatives (1975 - 1980); speaker pro tempore of the House (1977 and 1978 sessions); speaker of the House (1979 and 1980 sessions); SD governor, 1987.
Military: U. S. Army (Vietnam service); rank of Captain; honorably discharged 1967
[Source: Rapid City Journal, Rapid City, SD Tuesday, April 27, 1993 Contributed by Jacque McDonnell; Survivor information omitted for privacy]

Zola Osborn dies Suddenly Sunday - Well Known Local Girl Teaching at Ree Heights Called by Death
The many friends of Miss Zola May Osborn, 22 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Osborn, 115 Ninth avenue southeast will be grieved to hear of her sudden death Sunday morning at Ree Heights. Death came at 6:25 o'clock Sunday morning after an illness of seven days duration. Her father Edward Osborn, her aunt Miss May Osborn and W. H. Harrison of Aberdeen were at the bedside at the time of her death. She was teaching in the High School at Ree Heights when taken with the illness which resulted in her death. In October Miss Osborn submitted to an operation for appendicitis and was absent from her school work for some time. She had been at her home here for the holidays and was taken sick just one day after her school started its second half of the year.
Miss Osborn was born February 20, 1904 in Harrison County, Missouri and moved with her father to Aberdeen when she was 10 years of age. Her mother died one month after her birth leaving the child to the care of the father and aunt Miss May Osborn. She attended the public schools of this city and graduated from the high school with the class of 1922. Then she attended State college at Brookings, where she graduated with the class of 1926.   Her position as teacher of Latin and English was secured this fall. Throughout her school days Miss Osborn was very prominent in various activities of school life and many honors were accorded her by the schools she attended.  Hers was a pleasing personality and she was well liked by all who came in contact with her. At Brookings she was elected the most popular girl for two successive years. She was a member of the Baptist church and was of a sweet christian character. All of her many friends will be shocked to hear of her untimely demise and will all feel the loss of a dear friend.
Her aunt Miss May Osborn has been a real mother to her, having lived with her in her father's home since her mother's death and until the remarriage of Mr. Osborn to Miss Laura Harrison. Then, after graduation from the Aberdeen high school, her aunt established a home for her at Brookings where she was going to college. Miss Osborn died in the home established for her by her aunt at Ree Heights. A private funeral will be held this afternoon at 4:30 o'clock at Riverside cemetery, with Rev. Claypoole of the local Baptist church officiating. A memorial service will be held at a date to be announced later. [Source: Aberdeen Daily News, Aberdeen S.D., Jan. 10, 1927, contributed by MB]

Mr. and Mrs. Ed Fenner, accompanied by Milton Howell drove to Brookings Tuesday, to attend the funeral of J. Otteson, the father of Mrs. Kenneth Lent, of this city.  Mr. Otteson, who was 68 years of age, died at his home in that city Sunday morning.  Mr. and Mrs. Lent, who were at Brookings, returned to their home here with them. [The Wilmot Enterprise (Wilmot, SD), Thursday, June 1, 1933; contributed by JD]

Sudden Death Of Mrs. H.G. Rude -- A Mother Called To Answer Final Summons --Extremely Sad Death.
Mrs. H.G. Rude died at the family home in Arlington at three o'clock this morning. The sad news of the sudden death of this good woman was told about the city during the forenoon and was shocking to all. Death came from heart failure. Mrs. Rude took sick Wednesday with stomach trouble but was up yesterday and apparently recovering her usual health. Mr. Rude called to his wife in the night and got no response where upon he found her dead. The husband and children are left to mourn her death and have the sympathy of all. Mrs. Rude was active in a social way in this city and will be greatly missed there as well as in the home. Mrs. H.G. Rude who died at the family home in Arlington Friday, July 10, 1914 was 52 years of age, being born in Minnesota. The funeral at 1:30 o'clock Monday at the Baptist church (this is questionable) was conducted by Rev. Hindracker, pastor of the Lutheran church assisted by Rev. Tarleton. Preaching in the Scandinavian and English languages. Beautiful flowers in abundance were given by the Lutheran Aid and the Lutheran Sunday School, the W.C.T.U. and a host of friends. There was singing by a quartet composed of Mesdames C.C. Maxwell and B.E. Lloyd and Messrs. Shaw and Stead: "Safe in the Arms of Jesus". A duet was sung by Misses Lettie Sabo and Gertrude Angle: "Tell Mother I'll be There".  Burial was at the Nordland Cemetery four miles southwest of town. Deceased leaves a husband and seven children. The Children are J.G., Rudolph, Otis, Joe and Norman Rude residing in Arlington, Mrs. Agnes Osbon, Hayti; Edward of Harlowton, Montana. The following relatives and friends came here to attend the funeral: From Volga: Mrs. Snyder and daughter, Mr. & Mrs. Dr. Scanlan, Mr. & Mrs. Alfred Mortenson, Mr. & Mrs. Julius Mortenson, Mrs. Lars Magstad, Mrs. Stockstad, Mrs. Bergenthal, Mrs. Ed Lee, Mrs. Blum, Mrs. Anderson, Mr. & Mrs. Larson, Mr. & Mrs.. C.T. Knutson and family. Mr. & Mrs. K. Lewis of Lake Preston, Mr. & Mrs. John Borsvold, Mrs. N. Borsvold of Lake Sinai. Mr. A. Rude and Mr. Sandvick of Canton. Mr. & Mrs. Edward Rude Harlowton, Montana, Mr.& Mrs. Don Osbon Hayti. An obituary and account of the life of the deceased will be published next week. [Transcribed and contributed by Pamela Hamilton from the Arlington (South Dakota) Sun, July 10, 1914]

Mrs. H.G. Rude died Friday morning July 10th at her home in Arlington of heart trouble. The death came as a great shock to both relatives and friends as Mrs. Rude had always enjoyed the best of health, particularly during the year. The funeral was held Monday July 13, from the Norwegian Lutheran Church with Rev. Hinderaker and Rev. Taleton officiating. The church was beautifully decorated with house plants and cut flowers and the sermons delivered were very impressive. A large number of sorrowing relatives and friends present were very touching evidence of the high esteem in which Mrs. Rude was held. Interment was in the Nordland cemetery west of Arlington. Anna Marie Hatlestad was born in Filmore County, Minnesota, January 10, 1862. In March 1879 she was united in marriage to H.G. Rude and very soon after that the young couple came to Volga where Mr. Rude filed on a claim. During the hard struggle for existence in the early days, Mrs. Rude stood side by side with her husband making light of every hardship, helping those around her with words of cheer and comfort. In 1892 they sold the farm at Volga and purchased a farm near Arlington which has been their home until three years ago when they moved to Arlington to enjoy the fruits of their many years of toil--well earned rest and comfort for years to come. Like a tired child she closed her eyes and went to meet her maker, serene in the confidence of life well spent--a rest well earned. Besides her husband, seven children are left to mourn the loss of mother: James, Edmund, Joe, Agnes, Rudolph, Otis and Norman. Two other children have preceded her in death, a son Norman and a daughter Esther. She also leaves a father, four brothers and a sister. Mrs. Rude was a member of the W.C.T.U. and active in its good work. She was also a member of the Norwegian Lutheran church and a teacher in the Sunday school. She was a Christian in the true sense of the word. Active in suppressing vice and helping others leading a good moral Christian life. Death must come to all. It is the climax of every life. And we know of no other method of departing from this world then quietly stepping from time into eternity as Mrs. Rude did. God in his infinite mercy had called her Home and the sorrowing relatives we can but say that Mrs. Rude is home in Heaven patiently waiting for her Christian teachings to bear fruit and unite her with her many friends and loved ones in one large family.
Card of Thanks:  We desire to express our heartfelt gratitude to the many kind friends and neighbors for their help and sympathy during our recent bereavement.

Funeral services for the late Hans G. Rude, who died Saturday night at the home of his son, James Rude will be held Tuesday at 1:30 pm at the Carlson Chapel. The Rev. Olaf L. Olsen will conduct the service. Mr. Rude was born at Hurdal, Norway, March 20, 1853 and migrated to Filmore county, Minn in 1876. Three years later he took a homestead near Volga, S. D. and continued farming on a large scale in the state for many years. He came to Rhinelander in 1919. He married Miss Anna Hatlestad in the year 1879. They were parents to 9 children of whom the following survive: Mrs Don Osborn of Canton, S.D.; Edmond Rude of Long Beach, Calif; James, Rudolph, Otis, and Norman Rude of Rhinelander. He also leaves 21 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. He was a member of the Trinity Lutheran Church of this city. Interment will take place Thursday in Arlington, S.D. [Transcribed and Contributed by Pamela Hamilton, from The Rhinelander, 08 April 1935]
H.G. Rude Buried From Lutheran Church Today
The body of H. G. Rude, former resident here, reached Arlington from Rhinlander, Wisconsin last evening for attention at the Maxwell Funeral Home. Mr. Rude having passed away at the home of his son at that place Saturday night. Burial is taking place this afternoon in the Nordland cemetery, west of town. Mr. Rude lived here previous to about 15 years ago, first on a farm southwest of town, and later in the city. His wife died here quite suddenly, and being buried in the Nordland cemetery, the husband is now being placed by her side. A son also is buried in the cemetery. Following the loss of his wife, Mr. Rude lived with his son.  [From the "Arlington (S.D.) Sun" Newspaper of April 6, 1935]

Struck While Changing Tire West Of Town - Was on Way to Worthing After Daughter-Reckless Motorists Fail to Stop
On Saturday evening a fatality caused from reckless driving filled our community with horror, when it was learned that Mr. Joe Rude, one of Canton’s businessmen, had been struck down while changing attire two miles west of this city. His assailant is unknown, further than that he as so much of a brute that he failed to stop to inquire as to the extent of the injuries which he had inflicted. Mr. Rude, after closing up his business Saturday evening, was busy about town until about 11:45, after which he went to his home to inquire as to whether or not he should go to Worthing after his daughter, Opal, who was attending the dance there. It was 11:55 when he left the house, and when two miles west of town he got out of the car to see if he had any flat tires. The left front tire was flat, so Joe jacked up the car, and was flat, so he jacked up the car, and was just about ready to lift off the tire when a car coming from the west, presumably from the dance at Worthing, struck him with such force as to throw him against the back fender of his car, the impact tearing away the fender from the body of the car, breaking and smashing his left ribs, and injuring him internally, beside badly bruising him about the face and body. The driver of the car failed to stop, but sped on, probably in the hope of clearing himself of a charge of wanton murder, in the public opinion. It was only a short time until several cars had stopped and Mr. Rude was placed into one and brought into town. It was immediately discovered that his injuries were most serious, and an ambulance was called from Sioux Falls to take him to McKennan Hospital. Dr. Turner bund up his side as best he could, and between 5 and 5:30 they reached the hospital. Nothing could be done, only to keep him as quiet as possible until the end came Monday afternoon at 2:30. He was conscious from the time he was picked up until an hour before he died, and he told folks who the accident occurred and where. When told that he had been fatally injured, he stated that he was all right and would be about as ever in a short time.
Joe Rude was born at Volga, S.D. March 22, 1886 and died at Sioux Falls, McKennan Hospital on Monday April 12, 1926 at the age of 40 years and 21 days. He was married to Sarah Austin in Hetland on June 11, 1908. To them were born four children, three of whom survive. They moved to Canton in 1916 Mr. Rude purchasing the pool hall formerly owned by Grover Clark and which he has since operated. Besides his wife and three children Diona (Dione) (Mrs. Fr. Knowlton, Opal and Dale, he leaves his father, five brothers, EW (Edmund) of Long Beach;- Otis, Norman and Rudolph of Rhinelander Wis., and James of Castlewood, S. D. and one sister (Agnes Osbon) also of Castlewood, S.D. besides may other relatives and friends. Funeral Services will be held Friday afternoon, short services at the A. R. Anderson Apartments in the Rude apartment house at 1:30, and from the Lutheran church at 2 o’clock Rev. Nervig officiating. Interment will be made in Forest Hill Cemetery. [pg. 1 - The Sioux Valley News (Canton, SD) Thursday April 15, 1926; Transcribed by Pamela J. Hamilton]

Passes Away Saturday Evening After a Long Illness Aged 68
Feb. 8th 1913 - A long and honored career both as a soldier and citizen After suffering for some time with arteriosclerosis, Morris Shea breathed his last at six o'clock Saturday evening. The funeral was held at the home on Monday afternoon. Rev. H.W. Tilden, pastor of the Baptist church and chaplain of the G.A.R. Post, officiating. The three patriotic orders, the G.A.R. the W.R.C. and the Sons of Veterans, were represented and contributed several of the more beautiful floral emblems, which, with the flag of his country, covered the coffined for, The home was filled with friends, neighbors and comrades. Interment was made in Greenwood cemetery. Mr. Shea was born at Waukegan, Lake County, Illinois on July 12, 1845. His opportunities for acquiring an education were limited, owing to the outbreak of the Civil War when he was about sixteen years of age, but he attended country school from the age of nine years until, one day early in 1862, he enlisted in Company F. 37th Illinois Volunteers. which was recruited near his home. He was therefore one of the youngest soldiers in the army. A patriotic family, his father and brother later entered the service, but no two of them were in the same regiment. Mr. Shea re-enlisted at the end of his firth three year term in the same company and regiment and was mustered out at Houston, Texas, May 1866.
Comrade Shea received his baptism of fire at Brownsville, Mo. in a scrimmage brought on by a southern editor and a union soldier. Later he participated in some of the greatest battles of the war. Mission Ridge, Vicksburg, Gettysburg, Pea Ridge and others. At the siege of Vicksburg with General Grant his witnessed the surrender of three thousand five hundred Confederate soldiers as prisoners of war. That his service was noted for courage, faithfulness and attention to duty is attested to the fact that he made corporal and then sergeant in his company. Soon after being mustered out Mr. Shea returned to his farm home in Brookings South Dakota. [Unknown newspaper, c. Feb. 8th 1913; Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]


Aurora--  Richard L. Sloan, 70, rural Aurora, died Friday in Brookings Hospital.  Mr. Sloan was born Feb. 3, 1916, in Brookings.  As a small boy he moved with his parents to Bowbells, N.D., where he received his education in rural schools.

In 1934, Mr. Sloan returned to South Dakota and was employed with Farmer’s Co-op as a mechanic.  He married Ida Bullis Oct. 8, 1935, in Sioux Falls.  In 1941, Mr. Sloan began farming and later rented the farm and operated repair shop in his home.  He was a member of First United Methodist Church and Brookings Farm Bureau.

Survivors include his wife; two sons: R. Douglas, Lufkin, Texas; and William, New Prague, Minn.: three daughters: Crystal Lundgren, Minneapolis; Mrs. Willis (Jeannine) Peterson, Bloomington, Minn.; and Mrs. Roger (Diane) Gadway, White Salmon, Wash.; 12 grandchildren; two brothers: Robert, Annandale, Minn.; and Benjamin, Rochester, Minn.; and two sisters: Doris Magadanz, Corvallis, Ore.; and Mrs. Andrew (Gladys) Christiansen, Bowbells.

Services will begin at 2p.m. Monday in First United Methodist Church, Brookings.  Burial will be in Greenwood Cemetery, Brookings.  Visiting will be from 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday in Rude’s Funeral Home, Brookings, and before services Monday in the church.

died August 1986  (Clipping found in old scrap book in Brookings Public Library and transcribed by Sheana Siegel)

Birth: May 26, 1912 (Moody Co., SD)
Parents: George & Maude (Loucks) Ellis
Marriage: Francis "Butch" Thill (April 4, 1934; Dell Rapids, SD)
Death: Friday, Nov. 24, 1989 (Brookings, SD at the hospital)
Age: 77 yrs
Funeral: Tuesday, Nov. 28, 1989 (St. Thomas More Catholic Church, Brookings, SD)
Burial: St. Thomas More Catholic Cemetery
Education: Moody county rural schools.
Locations: Dell Rapids (until 1940), Sioux Falls, then Brookings (in 1946)
Organizations/Civic: St. Thomas More Catholic Church; Church Guild; Cahtolic Daughters of America; Senior Citizens.
Preceded in death by: Parents, brother Harold, sister Helen. [From the memorial leaflet Contributed by Jacque McDonnell; Survivor information omitted for privacy]

Everett Ray Volz was born March 12, 1922, in Hyde County. South Dakota, to Clifford P. and Ruby M. (Byerly) Volz and died May 16, 1987, at Covington Heights Nursing Home in Sioux Falls at the age of 65 years, two months and four days. He received his education in Highmore schools. He entered the U.S. Army in 1942 and was discharged in 1946. He worked construction in South Dakota until 1960 when he moved to Wisconsin to work as a steel worker. He retired and moved to Brookings. South Dakota, in 1984. He has been a resident of the Covington Heights Nursing Home since March, 1987. He was baptized in the Methodist faith. Survivors include: one sister, Mrs. Don (Dorothy) Murphy, White; eight nieces and nephews; Duane Elyea, Sioux Falls; Robert Elyea, Aurora; Sylvia Hoffman, Redfield; Lois DalPorto, Kansas City, Kans.; Joyce Sween and Sharon Clayton, both of Medina, NY; Randy Volz. Federal Way, Wash.; and Kim Volz, Montana. He was preceded in death by his parents and one brother, Ernest. [Unknown, undated newspaper; Contributed by Jacque McDonnell]

Winona, age 18 years, Indian, born in Dakota, died in November, from cholera morbus. [Names Of Persons Who Died In Dakota Territory During The Year Ending June 1, 1870; South Dakota Historical Collections Illustrated, Compiled by the State Department of History.  Vol. 10, 1920; Sub by KS]


Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails