Edwin Stockton Johnson 1857 - 1935
Senate Years of Service: 1915-1921 - Democrat
A Senator from South Dakota; born near Spencer, Owen County, Ind.,
February 26, 1857; moved with his parents to Osceola, Iowa, in 1857;
attended the public schools; engaged in the mercantile business;
moved to Wheeler County, Nebr., in 1880; homesteaded and engaged in
agricultural pursuits; returned to Osceola, Iowa, in 1881 and was
employed as a bank cashier; moved to South Dakota and established
the Citizens' Bank of Grand View, S.Dak., in 1884; also engaged in
agricultural pursuits; later established a number of banks in South
Dakota, Minnesota, and Iowa; studied law; admitted to the bar in
1888 and practiced; prosecuting attorney of Douglas County
1892-1893; member, State senate 1894-1895; retired from the banking
business in 1902 and engaged in the real estate and loan business at
Platte, S.Dak.; member of the Democratic National Committee
1904-1916; unsuccessful Democratic candidate for Governor in 1912;
elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate in 1914 and served
from March 4, 1915, to March 3, 1921; declined to be a candidate for
renomination in 1920; chairman, Committee on Revolutionary Claims
(Sixty-fourth and Sixty-fifth Congresses); resumed his activities in
the real estate and loan business; died in Platte, S.Dak., July 19,
1933, interment in Pleasant Ridge Cemetery, Armour, S.Dak.
Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present; contributed by A. Newell.
History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
MARTIN L. PARISH.
Martin L. Parish, a young attorney of Fairfax with a growing practice, was born in New York, December 6, 1881, a son of Hart and Mary A. (Ikler) Parish. The father devoted his life to the occupation of farming and in 1883 brought the family to Dakota territory, settling in Charles Mix county, at Chandler, where he homesteaded. For a quarter of a century he there engaged in farming and he and his wife now reside upon a farm at Dixon. His efforts have been a valuable factor in advancing agricultural progress.
Brought to this state when in his second year, Martin L. Parish attended the public schools and afterward entered Yankton College. He was graduated from the academy and later followed the profession of teaching for six years. In the meantime, in 1904, he homesteaded a tract of land in Gregory county. In 1906 he was elected to the office of clerk of the courts and subsequently entered the office of Edwin M. Starcher at Fairfax, who was engaged in the practice of law and in the abstract business, later succeeding to the business.
Devoting his leisure time to the study of law, he was admitted to the bar on the 26th of October, 1912, and although one of the younger attorneys of the county, has won a fair share of the public practice and it is well known that he is most devoted to the interests of his clients, doing everything in his power to win success along the lines of legitimate practice. He also continues president of the Starcher Abstract Company and is doing a good business in that connection.
On the 19th of August, 1912, Mr. Parish was united in marriage to Miss Lydia Morach, a native of Nebraska and a daughter of the Rev. Jacob Morach, a Congregational minister. They now have two children, Elizabeth G. and Mary Doris. Mr. and Mrs. Parish hold membership in the Congregational church and are accorded cordial welcome in the best homes of the city, occupying an enviable social position. Mr. Parish exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the republican party and for six years was clerk of the courts. He belongs to the Masonic lodge of Bonesteel and to the Commercial Club of Fairfax, and he is fond of motoring and enjoys outdoor life, thus gaining his recreation. His entire life has conformed to high standards, making him a respected citizen of Gregory county, while his unfeigned cordiality and goodwill toward all have won for him well deserved popularity.