South Dakota

Charles Mix County, South Dakota




Carroll, M. B.

Corey, L. E.

Durfee, Ferrel A.

Morgan, B. F.

Post, Mark Townsend

Welsh, Jay





















L. E. Corey State Tax Official Succumbs Monday

Yankton, S.D. - L. E. Corey, 53, state tax director, died here Monday.  Death followed a cerebral hemorrhage about four hours after Mr. Corey suffered a stroke of paralysis while at the home of an cousin.  Mr. Corey's home is at Wagner, where he edited the Wagner Post.

He had been in Pierre at the head of the division of taxation under the Berry administration.  Mr. Corey is former postmaster at Lake Andes and served two terms as member of the lower house in the state legislature.   Funeral was held Thursday of this week at Wagner.

unknown Geddes, South Dakota newspaper
July 16, 1915
Contributed by Mark Welsh



Mr. Jay Welsh, after Three Months of Patient Suffering Peacefully at Rest in Pleasant Lawn Cemetery.

The universal sympathy and bereavement of all Geddes and community in the demise of the late Jay Welsh was manifested in the exceptionally large concourse of people that attended the funeral services and burial of our late departed townsman and citizen last Sunday.

The services were held in the Congregational church, where Rev. T. H. Ratcliffe preached an impressive sermon.  The attendance of sympathetic friends far exceeded the capacity of the church, and many who desired to give public expression to their sympathy and respects to the departed remained through the entire service on the outside.

Interment was made in Pleasant Lawn cemetery, the remains being followed by a cortege comprising a large number of friends.

In the death of the deceased Geddes and community suffers the loss of a citizen and business man loved and esteemed by all.  Known to all with whom he has come in contact for the highest ideals of noble manhood, honesty and strict integrity, he had won that which is of most value to all - the full confidence and everlasting good will of his fellow man.  He was ever public spirited and alert to all that made for the welfare of the community.  He has served with ability both as member of the city council and school board, being chairman of the latter body at the time of his death.

His residence in our community dated from 1900, at which time he took up his home here at the first establishment of the town of Geddes.  For many years he was engaged as one of the leading business men of the city, disposing of his implement business here last fall for the purpose of establishing a creamery here, which he was forced to abandon on account of his breakdown in health in April last.  Since that time every effort has been made to bring him back to a state of health.  Many sanitariums and physicians of national repute having been visited.  Three weeks prior to his death he went to the sanitarium at Hot Springs, Ark.  There his ailment was diagnosed as cancer of the stomach, and little hope for his ultimate recovery held out.  Physicians there advised his return home, and it was while enroute home that the end came near Pontiac, Ill.  He was accompanied on this trip by his ever patient and faithful wife, also a physician from Hot Springs.

The deceased was a native of Nevada, Ohio, at which place he was born on May 19, 1872.  In 1882 he came with his parents to Plankinton, whence he came to Geddes in 1900.  His father passed away in 1895, his mother still surviving and making her home in this city with her daughter, Mrs. J. L. Welch.

On June 3, 1902, the deceased was united in marriage to Miss Bary B. Schellinger, of Cleghorn, Iowa.  To this union five children have been born, these being Alice, Harold, Winifred, George and Florence, who are left to mourn the loss of a kind and loving father.
In addition to the widow who is deprived of a faithful and devoted life companion, the deceased leaves his aged mother and one sister, Mrs. J. L. Welch.  The loss sustained by all these is shared in a large degree by the entire community, and with the tears of the loved ones are mingled those of true friendship.

From a distance the mourners included G. T. Schellinger and Miss Sadie Schellinger, of Cleghorn, Iowa; Shrman Schellinger and Mr. and Mrs. W. McConnell, of Sioux City.

The remains were tenderly laid to rest by the following pall bearers: M. C. Hartzer, O. p. Wendt, W. W. Haney, J. H. Meyhaus, A. F. Warnick and J. T. Haney.

Both at the church and at the cemetery large numbers of floral tokens bore evidence to the public sympathy.



Obit #2


Jay L. Welsh was born in the state of Ohio on May 19, 1872, and with his parents moved to Plankinton, this state in 1882.  When Geddes became a town he came here and engaged in the hardware and machinery business and later disposed of his hardware business to engage exclusively in the implement business.  He built a fine brick building on north Main street and some months ago sol his machinery business to build and run a creamery which would now be in operation had his health not given away.  He was taken to Rochester, Minnesota, for treatment and later went with his devoted wife to Hot Springs, Arkansas in the hope that relief might be had for him but this was not to be.  He passed away on the train while enroute home, the remains arriving here Friday evening.

The funeral took place from the Congregational church Sunday morning at 10:30, Rev. Ratcliffe preaching a masterful sermon, his text being taken from the book of Job.  The remains were laid at rest in Pleasant Lawn cemetery.  The pall bearers were W. W. and James Haney, O. P. Wendt, J. H. Meyhaus, M. C. Hartzer and A. F. Warnick.  The casket was almost hidden in a bower of flowers, tokens of kindly remembrance and sympathy by relatives and friends.  There were many more present at the funeral than could even find standing room in the church and when the opportunity was given to view the remains more than three hundred passed by the bier.

In 1902 deceased was united in marriage with Miss Mary B. Schellenger, of Cleghorn, Iowa, and to this union five children were born.

Those present at the funeral from abroad were, William McConnell and wife and a brother of Mrs. Welsh from Sioux City, Iowa.  Her father and sister, of Cleghorn, Iowa, have been here for some time, as also, has been the mother of the deceased.

The deceased was a pioneer of Geddes, coming here when the town was in its infancy and engaged in business and was always loyal to its best interests, as well as loyal to the host of friends he gathered about him during the past dozen years.  He was alderman when the town was new and in this office he proved his faithful friendship for what was best in civic life.  The people had faith in his honesty and integrity and he had faith in the people, and well they might have faith in his honesty and uprightness for he squared for he squared his action by the golden rule, and always standing for the right as he saw the night.  The writer had many business deals with him which were always pleasant and dorial and so knowing him so well and admiring him so much, our tears are mingled with those most near and dear to him and who must carry the heavy load of sorrow, but through mist of tears and beyond the purpling twilight of the sunset day may we not have revealed us the morning of a glorious day of him who is at rest and at home with a loving Father.

"Oh, may it not be richer in the sum of human life

That fondest ties are sundered than that they had never been?

O, will there not be sweeter blending of the souls of earth

Into the unknown because love cannot die?

And O what riches is the heritage of those

Who living on till God's good time shall come,

Shall be at last with them,

His fruitage in the garnered wealth of heaven.

Oh brother, naught else in the world thy highest aim sufficed

Except that first thy home should be an earthly paradise,

As husband, father, faithful friend in all that makes life dear

Thy soul in its profoundest depths was pure and true, sincere.

O brother, idol of us all, who knew thee most and best,

Thy fight for life was victory till came the glorious rest,

And victory then most sweet of all because to thee 'twas given

To teach us how the soul can greet the dawning light of heaven."

Obit #3


Jay Welsh Passes Away Enroute Home


All Geddes and surrounding territory, where our deceased townsman is widely known, mourns the death of Jay Welsh.  The news of this sad event was contained in a telegram received Wednesday afternoon from Pontiac, Ill.  It was at this place that the end came while, accompanied by Mrs. Welsh, the deceased was on the homeward journey from Hot Springs, Ark.

The remains will arrive here on the 7:20 train tonight (Friday).  Until then no definite announcement of funeral artangements [sic] can be made.  It is probable, however, that this will be held Sunday afternoon, although conditions may be such that burial will be made on Saturday.

Burial Announcement:

Geddes Pioneer Buried

Geddes, S.D., July 15 -- Special:  The funeral of Jay Welsh, a pioneer resident and business man of Geddes, was attended by many people of this city and vicinity.  His death occurred on board a train at Pontiac, Ill.  Mr. Welsh came to Geddes in 1900, and had resided here continuously since.  The deceased leaves a widow, in frail health, and five small children; an aged mother, and one sister, Mrs. J. L. Welsh, of this city.  Among the relatives who were present at the funeral were G. T. Shellinger and Miss Sadie Shellinger, of Cleghorn, Ia.; Sherman Shellinger, of Sioux City, and Mr. and Mrs. M. McConnell, of Sioux City.


Dr. J. H. Meyhaus has now been appointed administrator of the estate of the late Jay Welsh.  The estate is quite au [sic] extensive one and will involve considerable responsibility in its settlement, hence it is fortunate that its winding up is to be in so capable hands.  It is the hoe of the administrator to so arrange matters as to assure the completion of the creamery project now well under way.


From the local newspaper:


The funeral of Jay Welsh, a pioneer resident of Geddes, was largely attended.  He had lived there sixteen years, and leaves a widow and five small children.


Mark T. Post

Mark Townsend Post was born at Cincinnatti, Ohio, March 8,1847 and died at his home in Monowi, Nebr. March 2nd 1931 Aged 83 years, 11 months and 24 days. When a small boy he moved with his father and family to St Louis Mo, where his Father was engaged in the slave trade, he attended school there for a few years and in about 1859 the family returned to Cincinnatti. Soon after that the Civil War broke out and for the reason that his mother was very much opposed to slavery he became fired with enthusiasm for the northern cause and at the age of 15 he ran away and joined the union army in Indiana, Enlisting in Co. E 84th Infantry, Indiana Volentiers this being in the spring of 1862. He served 3 years, was wounded twice and was in active service except,the time spent in Hospital, was in many important battles Stone Mountain, Chickamaga, Kenasaw Mountain, and many other engagements. He went through the war in Sheridans command and received his last wound about the time peace was declared and was in the hospital 8 months after the war closed. He never saw his mother again as she had died during the war, but he returned home and made an effort to get more education by studdying part of the time and teaching part time. Soon after this he joined the famous 7th Cavalry under Gen. Custer and spent 5 years in active service on the frontier mostly in quelling Indian disturbances, was at the massacre of the famous Chief Black Kettle and his tribe, also helped guard the building of the Union Pacific R.R. where the Cavalry killed Bufalo and other wild game to supply the grading camps and. kept the indians in servilance while the Rail road was being constructed. He was mustered out of service about 1872 after which he organized an outfit of his own to hunt buffalo for the meat and hides shipping most to Armour Packing Co. at Kansas City. Soon after this gold was discovered in the Black Hills and he was one of the first to get on the ground, he filed a placer claim in Deadwood, when their was only one log cabin their. Was well acquainted with all of the historical characters of that time including Wild Bill (Hickok) Calamity Jane and others. After that he drifted to Yankton S.D. where he worked at the mason trade and studied law at the same time, and was finely admitted to the bar. He then drifted up the river to Ft Randal, where he worked for the quarter Master for some time and in about 1876 he filed on what is known as Hot Springs island near Platte where he was married in 1876 to Emma M Sherman, they lived by cutting and selling wood to steamboats until forced to leave the island by the flood of 1881. From there he moved to Wheeler where he was active in organizing Charles Mix County, Wheeler being the County seat. He practiced law also printed the Wheeler Courier and held the offices of Co Judge, Treasurer and Clerk of Court, Then moved to and organized the town of Bloomington where he printed a paper and also had charge of a bank owned by the First National Bank of Chamberland. He also acted as U.S.Land Commissioner and was said to be personaly acquainted with every man in that County. In May 1891 he moved to Boyd County Nebr.,where he farmed for several years on the Niobrara River, when the town of Monowi was established he moved their where he practiced law until about four years ago when he was forced to retire on account of failing sight. During his life he was an active member of the Odd Fellow and Masonic lodges being a charter member of the Odd Fellows lodge at Yankton, He was 32nd degree Mason and member of the Shrine at the Tangier Temple at Omaha. When a boy he joined the Christian church at Cincinnatti Ohio. He was a Christian believer and had great respect for church but his idea of religion was to carry it but in his every day life and in fact his practice in life was to live for others, their was never any sacrifice to great that he could not give his family, his friends and his country.

His wife and three of his children have already preceded him to the beyond and he leaves to mourn his departure seven children as follows. Mrs. Rachel Hamilton, Mrs. Edith Thayer, Mrs. Cornelia G. Roe, Frank Post, Mrs, Ethel L. Clute, Mrs. Hazel M. Coulter of Monowi and Mrs. Irene Selle of Omaha. Also one brother James Post of Monowi and one nephew Charles Post also of Monowi, Besides 22 Grand Children, 6 Great Grand children and a host of friends. Thus endeth a successful and active life spent in the various avenues where most good could be done.


[Submitted by Gary Stoltenberg Sr]

Aberdeen Daily News (4 May 1914) transcribed by FoFG MZ

M. B. Carroll, a pioneer of Charles Mix county, died recently at Marengo, Ill., aged 73.

Aberdeen American (3 Feb. 1922) transcribed by FoFG MZ

Wagner – Ex senator B. F. Morgan died in a hospital here following an illness of three months’ duration. He was a resident of Charles Mix county for about 15 years coming here from Shullsburg, Wis. He bought a large acreage of choice farm land south of Wagner, where he resided. He represented Charles Mix county in the state senate for two consecutive terms and was a delegate to the national democratic convention in St. Louis in 1916. A wife, five sons and three daughters survive.

Unknown newspaper

Submitted by Jacque McDonnell


Funeral services will be held Saturday, March 18, 2006 at the United Methodist Church in Highmore for Ferrel A. Durfee of Miller. Reverands Jenene Earl and David Andrews will officiate and burial will be in the Highmore City Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4:00 until 7:00 p.m. Friday, March 17, at Luze Funeral Home in Highmore with a prayer service at 7:00 p.m.

Ferrel Alverna Beauchamp was born to Edward and Elsie (Florey) Beauchamp November 5, 1918, at home near Geddes in Charles Mix County of South Dakota and died March 12,2006, at Prairie Good Samaritan Center in Miller at the age of 87 years, four months and seven days.

She was united in marriage to Emmet Durfee on November 12, 1938 in Colome. They made their first home in rural Hyde County near Stephan. Ferrel and Emmet lived and worked at the Stephan Mission until 1945. In 1946, they moved to their farm in southern Hyde County, where they lived and raised their family. After Emmet's death on March 24, 1967, Ferrel bought a home in Highmore and resided there for several years. Since December 1999, the Courtyard Villa Assisted Living Center in Miller was her home until two weeks before her death. At that time, she was a resident of Prairie Good Samaritan Center in Miller.

She was a member of the American Sunday School Union and later became a member of the United Methodist Church of Highmore. Her family was her source of happiness as she devoted her entire life to being a wife, mother and grandmother.

Survivors include: one son, Carl (Margaret) Durfee of Navarre, Florida; one daughter, Judy (Lloyd) Schwartz of St. Lawrence; one daughter-in-law, Chere (Jerry) Gavin of Pierre; 11 grandchildren; 23 great grandchildren; three sisters, Goldie Hysell of Lake Andes, Bernita (Harry) Odenbach of Bonesteel, and Pearl Schwarder of Kennewick, WA; one brother, Don Beauchamp of Yankton; one sister, Lorene Sangster, and three brothers, Ralph, Wayne, and infant Lyle.



Copyright © to Genealogy Trails' South Dakota's Host & all Contributors
All rights reserved