Day County Biographies

 

Anderson, Frank

Anderson, Frank

Bennett, George A.

Dunton, George C.

Garrick, James C.

Haisch, Alfred D.

Hedman, Andrew

Herington, Birtrum

Hyde, Charles E.

Johnson, Bert E.

Karpen, Anton

Krueger, John W.

Lundeen, A. E.

Miles, John G.

Moxness, Alfred J.

Ochsenreiter, Louis G.

Raynes, Alfred E.

 

Stearns, Eli

Waddell, William G.

Young, L. C.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Alfred D. Haisch

Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Richard Ramos

HAISH Alfred D, Superior. Office Carlton Minn. Real estate and loans. Born Dec 21, 1858 in Alma Wis, son of Frederick and Wilhelmina (Lutz) Haish. Married Sept 1, 1886 to Ida Alley. Educated in common and high schools Reeds Landing Minn. Engaged in farm implement business Webster S D 1883-1900; moved to Minneapolis until 1901; moved to Carlton and engaged in farm lands, real estate and loans to date. Pres Carlton County Abstract Co and Floodwood Minn Bank; Sec Inter-state Farm Land Co Carlton Minn. Member Carlton and Superior Commercial clubs and Masonic fraternity.


Who’s Who in South Dakota, Vol. 2
By O. W. Coursey
Educator School Supply Co., Publisher, 1916
Transcribed and Contributed by Jim Dezotell

FRANK ANDERSON

HIS NAME IS "ANDERSON"

If your name were Anderson, just now, you would be in the lime light of politics. If your name were not Anderson, what would you wish it to be? (Perhaps, right now, Johnson; for Ed. Johnson is just going to the senate, Royal Johnson to congress, and one county reports four Johnsons on their ticket last fall with every single one of them elected). However, the Hon. H. B. Anderson, retiring state auditor, has given the name of Anderson quite an impulse in this state. 

"What's in a name?" asked a wiseacre years ago. Well, there must be something when on a state board of only five members — the regents of education — the governor either found it necessary or wise — perhaps as wise as it was necessary — to appoint two Andersons — The Honorable A. M. (forenoon) Anderson of Sturgis, the fellow who gets up in the "a. m." and does things, and the right Honorable Frank Anderson, of Webster, the party with whom "Who's Who" is today concerned. 

A. M. has been on the board of regents for many years. His official record is enviable. So when the. lamented Marcus P. Beebe, of Ipswich, a member of the regents of education, died last year, Governor Byrne decided he would try another Anderson on the board; and, therefore, without any equivocation, he gave orders that a commission as regent of education should be filled out at once and mailed to Attorney Frank Anderson of Webster. True, this made the board 40 per cent Andersons and 60 per cent lawyers, but it made a good board just the same. 

Frank Anderson, or Regent Anderson — which ever style of salutation you prefer — was born on a farm in Fillmore county, Minnesota, October 18, 1870. He spent his boyhood on the farm at hard labor and attended rural school a few months each winter. Later, he attended Windom institute for two terms and then was enrolled for a couple years in the Anamosa (Iowa) high school. This makes two members of the board (Frank Anderson and Hitchcock), who did their high school work in the little penitentiary city of Anamosa (not as convicts, of course, but as real good boys.)

Like other boys who have had to help themselves, young Anderson's change became short — shorter than his trousers, for he was now a young man; so he entered the teaching profession for three years. From his earnings as a teacher he saved enough to help put himself through Valparaiso university law school, from which he was graduated in May 1899. (Hon. C. H. Lugg, superintendent of public instruction; his deputy, C. T. King; Superintendent W. O. Lamb of Hutchinson county, and a number of other prominent people in this state are alumni of the same institution. It really has helped to shape the history of our state.)

Six weeks after taking his law degree, young Anderson struck west and settled at Webster, S. D., where he promptly entered upon the practice of his chosen profession. His practice was large right from the start; so much so, that in a few months he ventured upon a still greater venture — matrimony. In the fall of 1899, he slipped back to Davis, Ill., a small town near Freeport, and was united in marriage to Miss Sophie Knudson.

The year after his marriage, Mr. Anderson formed a law partnership at Webster with Josephus Alley. This partnership continued for five years. Upon its dissolution, Mr. Anderson formed a new partnership with Attorney W. G. Waddel, which continues to this day.

Frank Anderson, like the Honorable H. B., has been in politics more or less all his life. In 1902 he was elected state's attorney for Day county; in 1908 he was elected again and re-elected in 1910.

Mr. Anderson was appointed Assistant U. S. District Attorney in the spring of 1911, but inasmuch as the position would have necessitated his removal to Sioux Falls, he declined the appointment.

He has a large following in his own county — so much so that Governor Byrne contemplated appointing him circuit judge when Judge McNulty resigned to enter the congressional arena two years ago; but Mr. Anderson gave his own endorsement to Hon. Thomas L. Bouck who was tendered the position. However, we'll predict that he'll be a "judge" some day: he has that "judicial temperament" which Senator Beveridge told us so much about in the campaign of 1912.


 

 

from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

 FRANK ANDERSON.

 

Frank Anderson, actively engaged in the practice of law at Webster, was born in Fillmore county, Minnesota, October 18, 1870, and is a son of Iver and Kari (Erickson) Anderson, both of whom were natives of Norway, born in 1842 and 1839 respectively. His grandfather and grandmother on his mother's side, Mr. and Mrs. Eric Nortomme, came to the United States and spent their remaining days on this side of the water. In his native country the grandfather had followed the shoemaker's trade. Iver Anderson arrived in Fillmore county, Minnesota, in the year 1868, purchased school land there and lived upon his farm for ten years. He afterward removed to Lac qui Parle county, Minnesota, and purchased a relinquishment claim in 1880. He then devoted his energies to the further development and improvement of that property until 1902, when he retired from active business life and now resides in Montevideo, Minnesota. His efforts were attended with success and he is now the possessor of a comfortable competence. While in Fillmore county, Minnesota, he wedded Kari Erickson, who passed away on the 25th of June, 1912. In their family were four children, of whom two are yet living, the younger being Ingeborg, now the wife of N. O. Borten, a farmer living near Montevideo. Mr. Anderson is a member of the Lutheran church. In his political views he is a republican and has held some local offices.

Frank Anderson pursued his early education in the public schools of Lac qui Parle county, after which he spent two years as a student in the Windom Institute at  Montevideo and also studied for two years at Anamosa, Iowa. Later he pursued a commercial course in Cedar Rapids and a scientific and classical course in Valparaiso, Indiana, to which he devoted two years. He then spent a similar period in the study of law at Valparaiso and was admitted to the bar in 1899, after which he located for practice in Webster. He remained alone for a time but in 1900 formed a partnership with Josephus Alley, a connection that was maintained for five years.   On the dissolution of that partnership in 1905 Mr. Anderson became associated with W. G. Waddel and they have practiced together since April, 1906, being accorded a liberal clientage. They have been connected with much important litigation and Mr. Anderson carefully prepares his cases so that he is ready to meet any emergency in the courts.

In 1899 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Anderson and Miss Helen Sophie Knudson, of Davis, Illinois. They are well known in Webster and the hospitality of the best homes is cordially extended them. Their religious faith is that of the Lutheran church and Mr. Anderson is connected with the Knights of Pythias. In politics he is a republican and has served as states attorney of Day county for six years. He is now a member of the board of regents of education of the state, to which office he was appointed by Governor Byrne in April, 1914. He belongs to the State Bar Association and has the high regard of his contemporaries and colleagues in practice.


from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

GEORGE A. BENNETT

Business enterprise and progress in Bristol are attributable in no small measure to the efforts of George A. Bennett, a well known merchant and the president of the First National Bank of the town. With him a recognition of opportunity has ever marked the path of advancement. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, January 12, 1864, a son of George and Jane (Tregilius) Bennett. The father, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1821, was married in the state of New York to Miss Jane Tregilius, a native of England, born in 1836. Soon afterward they removed to Ohio and for five years were residents of Cleveland, going thence to Iowa in 1864. There the father purchased land and carried on farming until his death, which occurred in 1896. His widow still survives, being now in the eightieth year of her age. To them were born ten children, six of whom are yet living, namely: J. W., a retired druggist living in Janesville, Iowa; George A., of this review; Mrs. John Carey, whose husband is a farmer living in Waverly, Iowa; Everett S., of  Bristol, who is associated with his brother George in the mercantile business; Mrs. A. C. Clewell, whose husband is engaged in the real-estate business at Watonga, Oklahoma;  and Elmer R., who conducts a transfer company at Pierre, South Dakota. Both Mr. and Mrs. Bennett were earnest Christian people, the former holding membership in the Methodist Episcopal and the latter in the Episcopal church. In politics he was a republican and at all times he met the obligations of public as well as of private life.

George A. Bennett was educated in the common schools of Iowa and started on his business career in connection with the drug trade. Later he turned his attention to general merchandising and has since been active in that field. In 1882 he removed to Dakota territory and since 1885 he has been one of the enterprising merchants of Bristol, having a well appointed store and carrying a large and carefully selected stock. His courteous treatment of his patrons and his honest dealing have also been elements in his growing success. He devotes most of his time to his mercantile business but he is also the president of the First National Bank, which is capitalized for twenty-five thousand dollars, has surplus and undivided profits amounting to seven thousand dollars and average deposits of two hundred thousand dollars. He is also the owner of farm land—and all this in the face of the fact that he came to the west a poor boy dependent entirely upon his own resources.

The first marriage ceremony performed in Bristol was that of George A. Bennett and Emma F. Ross, who were joined in wedlock in 1886. The latter is a native of Mower county, Minnesota, and a daughter of Joseph Ross, an early agriculturist and civil engineer of that state. To our subject and his. wife have been born five children, four of whom survive, as follows: Maude, the first female child born in Bristol; Olive M., the wife of Allen Baker, who is engaged in the restaurant and real-estate business at Manhattan, Montana; and Cora M. and Charles, both at home.

The parents are members of the Episcopal church, in which they take an active and helpful part, Mr. Bennett serving now as warden. He belongs to the Odd Fellows lodge and Woodmen camp and in politics is independent, but is not remiss in the duties of citizenship and has served on the town and school boards. He is ever willing to aid in measures and movements for the public good and has cooperated heartily in many plans  for the upbuilding of Bristol, while at the same time he has carefully conducted his business affairs and through the legitimate lines of trade has gained substantial and well merited success.


from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

GEORGE C. DUNTON.

 George C. Dunton, cashier of the First National Bank at Webster, was born in Naples, New York, February 8, 1865, and is a representative of one of the old families of the Empire state, his ancestors having come from England to the new world. His grandfather. John Dunton, born in New York, was a successful farmer of that state for many years and there occurred the birth of his son, Lemuel M., in the year 1834.   He was reared and educated at the place of his nativity and after attaining his majority wedded Harriett E. Oliver, who was born in New York in 1834, a daughter of George Culver, also a native of that state, who traced his ancestry back to the early Puritans who settled New England. Mr. and Mrs. Lemuel M. Dunton continued their residence in the east until 1870, when  they removed to Missouri and afterward to Kansas, Mr. Dunton devoting his attention to sheep raising in both states. While in New York he had handled both sheep and cattle. He won a very gratifying measure of success and was well-to-do at the time of his demise. He was well educated and well read and in his community exercised considerable influence over public thought and action. He died in the year 1910, having for a decade survived his wife, who passed away in 1900. She was a consistent member of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Dunton held membership with the Masons and belonged to both the blue lodge and chapter.

His political allegiance was given to the republican party. To him and his wife were born two children, George C. and Harry I., the latter a resident of Canandaigua, New York. George C. Dunton completed his education by graduation from the Canandaigua Academy of New York with the class of 1884 and for two years thereafter devoted his attention to merchandising in the Empire state. In 1886 he arrived in South Dakota, where he engaged in clerking for a time, and later established a store of his own at Langford. On disposing of that he lived retired for a short period and afterward purchased a hardware store. During his residence in Marshall county he served as treasurer for four years and was a prominent and influential resident of that community. In 1902 he removed to Webster and organized the First National Bank, which from the beginning has been a substantial and paying institution. It is capitalized for twenty-five thousand dollars, has a surplus of fifteen thousand dollars and its average deposits amount to one hundred and sixty-five thousand dollars. A general banking business is conducted and as its cashier Mr. Dunton has practically managed its affairs and contributed in a very large measure to its success. He also has farming interests in this state and is a representative business man, alert and enterprising.

In December, 1898, occurred the marriage of Mr. Dunton and Miss Clara M. Deerson, a native of Illinois and a daughter of John Deerson, who was born in Germany but in early life came to the new world, settling in Illinois, where he followed the cabinetmaking trade. His daughter, Mrs. Dunton, is a member of the Episcopal church and occupies an enviable position in social circles of the city.

Mr. Dunton is a prominent Mason, having taken the degrees of the Scottish Rite and of the Mystic Shrine. A republican in his political views, he has been active in the work of the party yet never sought office as a reward for party fealty. He has a strong attachment for the west, which has given him his opportunity, and he possesses the enterprising spirit which has ever characterized the development of this section of the country.


from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

JAMES C. GARRICK.

James C. Garrick, of Webster, filling the office of sheriff of Day county, was born in Delhi, New York, December 20, 1872, a son of Alex and Elizabeth (Cowan) Garrick, who ere natives of Delaware county, New York, born in 1845 and 1843 respectively. The father is still living but the mother passed away in 1909.   They were married in the Empire state and in 1880 removed to Iowa, where the father secured a farm and in 1883 they became residents of Faulk county, South Dakota, where he took up land from the government. After cultivating that tract for a time he removed to the vicinity of Faulkton  and at the present time is living retired, making his home with his children.  His business affairs were carefully and wisely conducted, bringing him success.   His family numbered  five children, of whom four are living:   Isabella, the wife of William Plants, a merchant  and farmer living near Faulkton; W. R., who is sheriff of Faulk county; A. A., manager for the Day County Garage Company; and James C.   The father is a member of the Congregational church and an active representative of the Independent Order of Odd   Fellows.   In politics he is a republican and for several years served as county commissioner of Faulk county. His father, Alex Garrick, Sr., was born in Scotland and at the age of seventeen years came to the United States.   He followed the occupation of  farming and died in the state of New York.   The maternal grandfather of James C.  Garrick was Andrew Cowan, who was born in Scotland, and also engaged in agricultural pursuits to the time of his demise, which occurred in New York.

James C. Garrick after acquiring a common-school education turned his attention to farming and to the grain business and since starting out independently has made steady progress. He has an interest in the firm of Potter, Garrick & Potter, which controls a line of nine elevators at various points in this state and they handle an extensive amount of grain, their business furnishing an excellent market for the grain raisers, while at the same time it is a source of profitable income to the partners.   Believing in South Dakota and its future, Mr. Garrick has invested to a large extent in land in this state and is also the owner of land in North Dakota.

In 1902 occurred the marriage of Mr. Garrick and Miss Evelyn Potter, a daughter of S. L. Potter, of Webster, South Dakota, and they have one child, Carlyle, born in 1906. The parents occupy an enviable social position and are regarded as devout members of the Congregational church.

In Masonry Mr. Garrick has taken the degrees of the Scottish Rite and of the Mystic Shrine.   His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he has served as alderman of Webster, while in 1912 he was elected to the office of sheriff of Day county, in which he is making a most creditable record by the prompt, fearless and faithful discharge of his duties. He represents one of the old pioneer families of his section of the  state and has for about a third of a century been identified with the progress and development of this part of South Dakota.


from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

ANDREW HEDMAN.

 Andrew Hedman was called to the position of county auditor by the vote of his fellow citizens in the fall of 1914 and is now capably serving in that capacity.   He was born in Lac qui Parle county, Minnesota, October 25, 1887, a son of Peter and Margaret (Anderson) Hedman, both natives of Norway, the former born in 1861 and the latter in 1864. The paternal grandfather, Ola Hedman, a farmer by occupation, came to the United States and spent his last days in Minnesota.   In his native country Peter Hedman was reared and married and in 1887 brought his wife to the United States, establishing their home in Minnesota.   He has always made farming his life work and in 1896 he came to  South Dakota, where he homesteaded.   He has since sold the homestead property but has purchased other land and is still actively engaged in farming.  In the community where he lives he has taken a helpful part in public affairs and has filled a number of township offices and has also served on the school board.   His political allegiance is given to the republican party. Of the Lutheran church he is an active and earnest member and for  several years served as one of the deacons.   To him and his wife have been born eight children, Andrew, Olaf, Palma, Agnes, Julia, Ray, Maudy and Oscar, all at home with the exception of Andrew who is the eldest of the family.

In the schools of Waubay Mr. Hedman pursued his education, passing through consecutive grades until graduated from the high school with the class of 1905. He  afterward attended the normal school at Grand Island, Nebraska, and then entered upon  the study of law. He made his initial step in business as cashier of the State Bank of Waubay, in which connection he continued for five years, after which he handled real estate until elected to his present position, that of auditor of Day county, in the fall of 1914. He has always been a republican In his political views and it was on the ticket of that party that he was elected to office.

In his religious faith Mr. Hedman is a Lutheran and fraternally he is connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In the former organization he has served as keeper of the records and seal. He has some real-estate interests and is the owner of farm lands, his investments having been judiciously made, so that he derives therefrom a gratifying annual income. He is yet a young man but has already attained a success in business that many an older man might well envy. His fellow citizens  recognize his enterprising spirit and his devotion to the public welfare and thus it is that  he has been called to the responsible position which he is now filling, making a most creditable record by the prompt and faithful manner in which he is discharging his duties.


 

 

from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

BIRTRUM F. HERINGTON

 Birtrum F. Herington, engaged in the banking business at Waubay, was born in Jackson, Michigan, December 7, 1859, a son of Pulaski N. and Elizabeth (Brewer) Herington. The paternal grandfather, Irwin Herington, was a native of New York, devoted his entire life to farming and passed away in Michigan. The maternal grandfather, Samuel Brewer, was born in England, came to the United States in 1847 and settled in Jackson county, Michigan, where he carried on general agricultural pursuits, living on the old homestead to the time of his death, which occurred when he had reached the venerable age of ninety-two years. The father was born in the state of New York in 1834 and his life record covered the intervening years to 1904. His wife, who was born in England in 1839, passed away in the year 1902. They were married in Jackson, Michigan, where Mr. Herington had located when twenty years of age, accompanying his parents to that place.  He had acquired a district school education and he turned his attention to farming, purchasing land which he occupied and cultivated until 1858. He then purchased other  land, on which his remaining days were spent. He was a self-made man, enterprise and industry constituting his salient characteristics. In politics he was active as a supporter of the democratic party but never held nor desired office. He belonged to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and to the Methodist Episcopal church. In the family of Mr. and  Mrs. P. N. Herington were six children, of whom four are living, namely: D. P., a hardware merchant residing in Waubay, this state; S. 0., a retired agriculturist who makes his home in Moscow, Idaho; Birtrum F., of this review; and William, a farmer residing in Jackson, Michigan.

In the public schools of his native city B. F. Herington acquired his preliminary education and afterward pursued a business course. He started out in life as a salesman for a grain company in South Dakota, to which state he came in 1883, and subsequently engaged in the grain business on his own account at Waubay, where he located in 1889. For fifteen years he was active in the grain trade, meeting with substantial success, after which he turned his attention to banking, purchasing the controlling interest in the First National Bank of Waubay in 1904, in which year he became president. It is capitalized for twenty-
five thousand dollars, has surplus and undivided profits of fifteen thousand and average deposits of two hundred and twenty-five thousand. The bank has enjoyed a healthful growth and is in excellent condition, a general banking business being conducted, while a liberal patronage is accorded the institution. Mr. Herington's high standing in banking circles is indicated by the fact that in 1914 he was elected president of group five of the National Bankers of the State of South Dakota. In addition to his activities as a banker he handles real estate and farm loans and is himself the owner of one thousand acres of fine land. The proud American title of a self-made man is his by right of his industry, determination and perseverance, for those qualities have advanced him from a humble financial position to a place of prominence in the business circles of his adopted county.

Mr. Herington has been married twice. In 1892 he wedded Miss Mary Fitzpatrick, by whom he had three children, as follows: Guy, who is employed in his father's bank;   Hazel, who has completed her education; and Harold, who is attending school. The wife and mother died in 1902, passing away in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which she wan a devoted member. In 1905 Mr. Herington was again married, his second union being with Miss Dina Arntz, a native of Cochrane, Wisconsin, by whom he has two children, Alberta and Donald.

Mr. and Mrs. Herington attend the Methodist Episcopal church and he is a prominent Mason, belonging to the lodge, chapter, consistory and Mystic Shrine. He also has membership with the Odd Fellows, the Woodmen and the Workmen and believes in the principle of fraternity which underlies these organizations. In politics he is a democrat and has the distinction of being the only democrat ever elected from his county to the state legislature, to which he was sent as a representative in 1897. He has served on the town board and for eight years filled the office of mayor, carefully directing municipal affairs with the same thoroughness and capability that have marked his business career. That he is interested in the cause of education has been shown by his effective work as a member of the school board. Progress has ever been his watchword and he seeks for the public good with the same eagerness and enthusiasm that he displays in advancing his individual interests.


from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

 

CHARLES E. HYDE

Charles E. Hyde is connected with industrial interests of Webster as a miller, being now president and manager of the Webster Mill Company. He was born in Grinnell, Iowa, March 27, 1858, and is a son of Lewis L. and Lydia (Hubbard) Hyde. The father was born in Indiana in 1828 and was a son of Andrew Hyde. When a young man he removed to Illinois and in that state married Miss Lydia Hubbard, who was born in Springfield, Illinois, in 1836. Lewis L. Hyde was a wagon maker by trade but after removing to Wisconsin engaged in business as a millwright. Subsequently he became a resident of  Lanesboro, Minnesota, where he established a wagon shop, continuing in that business  until his death, which occurred in 1898, when he had reached the age of seventy years. His wife died in 1914, at the age of seventy-eight. They were members of the Methodist Episcopal church and in his political views Mr. Hyde was a republican. Their family  numbered six children, of whom five are living: George F., who is engaged in the milling business at Owatonna, Minnesota; Charles E.; Sarah, who is the widow of E. D. Udell and lives in Wells, Minnesota; F. L.; and Mrs. Mary E. Barnard, a widow, living at Henderlin, North Dakota.

Charles E. Hyde pursued his education in the schools of Horicon, Wisconsin, to the age of fifteen years and afterward studied during one winter in Minnesota. In 1874 he entered a mill at Lanesboro, Minnesota, and was there employed for three years, after which he removed to Winnebago City, that state. His identification with the milling business covers altogether forty-one years, during which he has operated in various places. He came to South Dakota in 1883 and in 1899 he removed to Webster, where he engaged in the milling business. Today he is president and manager of the Webster Mill Company, which owns a plant having a capacity of one hundred and seventy-five barrels daily. The excellence of the output assures for the business a liberal patronage and long experience has made Mr. Hyde familiar with every phase of the work, thus enabling him to wisely direct the operation of the mill.

On the 1st of September, 1881, Mr. Hyde wedded Miss Maude H. Williams, a daughter of James H. Williams, one of the early settlers of Houston county, Minnesota, and now a resident of Webster, at the age of eighty-three years. Five children have been born to this union, four of whom are living: Allan A., who follows farming in North Dakota; Albert who is filling the offices of county surveyor and city engineer; Charles P., at home; and Helen R., who is in school. Roy J. is deceased. The mother is a member of the Congregational church.

Mr. Hyde votes with the republican party and is now serving for the eighth year as alderman of Webster, having ever exercised his official prerogatives in support of plans and measures for the general good, the efficiency of his service being indicated in his frequent reelections.   He belongs to that class of men who have won the proud American title of self-made. He was practically without financial resources when he came to Webster but has gradually worked his way upward, his industry and his capable business management being the salient features in his growing prosperity.


from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

 

BERT E. JOHNSON

 One of the well known officials of Day county is Bert E. Johnson, of Webster, who is serving as clerk of the court. He was born in Dodge county, Minnesota, July 28, 1878, and is a representative of one of the old families of that state, his grandfather, Johannes Johnson, having settled there in pioneer times, after which he was closely associated with agricultural pursuits. He had three sons who served as soldiers in the Civil war, Louis, Andrew and Halvor. Another son, Gunder H. Johnson, who became the father of Bert E. Johnson, was born in Norway in 1844 and in his childhood was brought to the United States. He shared with the family in the hardships and privations of frontier life,  following the establishment of the family home in Dodge county, Minnesota. He afterward engaged in clerking in a store in Kansas for a number of years and is now living in Webster, having retired from active business life. He married Ida Haugen, who was born in Norway in 1853 and crossed the Atlantic in her girlhood. They have become the parents of five children: Minnie, at home; Bert E.; Martin C, who is traveling for a commission firm of Minneapolis; Anna, the wife of George McLaughlin, of Eau Claire, Wisconsin; and Irene C., at home. The parents are members of the Lutheran church and Mr. Johnson votes with the republican party.

Bert E. Johnson is indebted to the public schools of Webster for his early educational privileges and he also pursued his studies for a time in Olympia, Washington.    He was reared to farm life, early becoming familiar with the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist and when he started out on his own account he followed farming. Later he worked at different occupations. He filled the position of clerk in a store, was connected with the machinery business and also bought grain. In 1908 his fellow citizens indorsed him for public office by electing him to the position of clerk of the court and he has three times been reelected, making a most creditable record in office by the prompt and faithful manner in which he discharges his duties. He was the candidate of the republican party and he has always been a loyal supporter of its principles. Fraternally he is connected with the Knights of Pythias and he belongs to the Lutheran church. His life has been guided by high and honorable principles and is the exemplification of a noble, upright purpose. He turns to hunting and fishing for recreation but allows no outside interests to interfere with the faithful performance of his duties and that he has been a most efficient officer is manifest in the fact that he has been four times chosen to the  position which he now fills.


 

from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

ANTON KARPEN.

 Anton Karpen is secretary and manager of the Farmers Lumber Company of Webster and his progressive spirit and devotion to the general good is further indicated in the fact that he is president of the Commercial Club of the town. Minnesota claims him as a native son, his birth having occurred in Nicollet county, that state, on the 9th of October, 1877, his parents being Valentine and Magdalena (Dorn) Karpen, both of whom were natives of Germany. The former was born April 30, 1846, and was a son of Peter Karpen, who passed away in Nicollet county at the age of eighty-six years. The mother of Anton Karpen was also born in 1846 and was a daughter of Mathias Dorn, who also passed away in Nicollet county when he had reached the venerable age of eighty-six. Both Valentine Karpen and Magdalena Dorn had come to the United States in childhood with their respective parents, who settled in Wisconsin. They were both educated in that state and there remained until after their marriage, removing to Minnesota in the early '70s. Mr. Karpen purchased a farm in Nicollet county and there engaged in general agricultural pursuits until his death. He was active in community affairs, was a stalwart supporter of the democratic party and held various township and school offices. His religious faith was that of the Catholic church. He was a self-made and self-educated man, became widely known throughout his county and was highly respected by all He died in 1908, while his wife passed away in 1879. They were the parents of six children: Mathias, a well-to-do citizen now living at New Ulm, Minnesota; Mary, the wife of William Miller, a retired farmer, now proprietor of a restaurant and pool hall at Webster, South Dakota;  Hubert, living on the old homestead in Minnesota; Anna Lucy, the wife of L. Giefer, a Minnesota farmer; Anton; and Peter, who is a general merchant and postmaster at  Medina, North Dakota.

 Anton Karpen was educated in the common schools of his county and the high school of Glencoe, Minnesota, and was graduated with the class of 1898. He followed teaching for three years after which he entered the lumber business, accepting a position with the  Lampert Lumber Company as manager of their Cleveland, Minnesota, yard. On the 8th of January, 1906, he arrived in South Dakota, where he assumed the management of the business of the Lam pert Lumber Company, in which connection he continued for three years, when he resigned and entered into partnership with Mr. Mohs in the conduct of a  furniture business. Some time later, however, he sold his interest in that connection and bought out the lumber company in October, 1911, now conducting his interests under the name of the Farmers Lumber Company, of which he is the secretary and treasurer. He also owns another yard at Eden, South Dakota, and is enjoying a liberal patronage, his business having now reached extensive and gratifying proportions. He is always reliable in his dealings and progressive In his methods and his unfailing enterprise has brought him growing success.

In 1898 Mr. Karpen was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Albers, who was born at Shakopee, Minnesota, and was educated in the schools of Glencoe, that state, to which place her parents removed when she was but a year old. Mr. and Mrs. Karpen have a family of five children: Esther, attending the high school; Genevieve Anna, Antonio and Helen Marie, all in school; and Alice.

Mr. and Mrs. Karpen are members of the Catholic church and he holds membership in the Knights of Columbus and the Catholic Order of Foresters. He belongs also to the German Society of Minnesota. In politics he is a democrat and when a candidate for the office of county clerk in Nicollet county, Minnesota, he received every vote in his township save two but was defeated by a majority of forty-eight although the republicans usually polled a majority of about eight hundred. The vote which he received was certainly very flattering and indicated his personal popularity and the confidence reposed in him. Mr. Karpen is greatly interested in the good roads movement and is the executive member for the state of the Yellowstone Trail, giving generously of his time and money to the project of building this road, which is a connecting highway between the Falls of St. Anthony and the Falls of the Yellowstone and which is now being extended from coast to coast. His interest in the welfare of his home city is indicated in the fact that he is president of the Commercial Club. He is a capable business man and above all a public-spirited citizen and is making his work and his influence count for good.

 


 

from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

JOHN W. KRUEGER.

John W. Krueger, residing in Erwin, Kingsbury county, is proving a popular and able official as cashier of the Bank of Erwin. His birth occurred in Wisconsin on the 15th of December, 1876, his parents being Carl and Genevieve Krueger, who came to South Dakota in 1884, the father purchasing land in Day county. Both Mr. and Mrs. Carl Krueger have passed away.

John W. Krueger attended the public schools in the acquirement of an education and also pursued a business course at Charles City, Iowa. Subsequently he was employed in a store at Andover, South Dakota, for eleven months and afterward was connected with a produce concern at Fargo, North Dakota, for a short time. He next became bookkeeper in the State Bank at Andover and was later promoted to the position of cashier, in which  capacity he served for nine years. On the expiration of that period he entered the service of the Day County Land Company, a real-estate concern, and subsequently embarked in the real-estate business on his own account at Blunt, Hughes county, being thus engaged for a year and a half. In 1912 he embarked in the hardware business but later sold out and entered the Bank of Erwin as cashier, in which capacity he has ably served to the present time, contributing to the continued growth and success of the institution in an appreciable degree.

On the 7th of January, 1908, Mr. Krueger was united in marriage to Miss Eva Hitchcock, a daughter of Gideon Hitchcock. He exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the republican party and in religious faith is a Congregationalist. Fraternally he is identified with the Masons, belonging to the lodge, chapter, commandery and the Mystic Shrine. He is fond of motoring and all outdoor sports and has won the high esteem and friendship of those with whom he has come in contact in both business and social relations.


from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

A. E. LUNDEEN.

 One of the leading business interests of Bristol is the implement house of A. E. Lundeen, an enterprising merchant who belongs to that class of representative citizens that Sweden has furnished to this state—a class that has done much toward the upbuilding and material development of South Dakota. He was born in Sweden, July 8, 1880, his parents being Magnus P. and Benta Lundeen, also natives of Sweden, born in 1841 and 1843 respectively. Coming to the United States in 1880, they settled in Day county, Dakota territory, where the father secured a homestead claim which he owned and occupied throughout his remaining days, winning success as the reward of the industry and determination which be displayed in the conduct of his business interests. He died in 1887, while his wife survived until 1911. They were members of the Lutheran church and in his political views Mr. Lundeen was a republican. To them were born four children, three of whom survive, namely: Peter, an agriculturist residing in Bristol; A. E., of this review; and Emma, who gave her hand in marriage to Albert Ziegenhagen, a farmer living in North Dakota.

It was during his infancy that A. E. Lundeen was brought to Dakota territory and in the schools of Day county he pursued his education, supplemented by a commercial course at  Valparaiso, Indiana. His early experiences were those of the farm and he continued to engage in agricultural pursuits until 1905, when be removed to Bristol, turning his attention to the implement business, in which connection he has built up a good trade. He handles farm machinery of standard makes and his reliability in trade transactions, combined with his energy and experience have brought to him a gratifying patronage. He also owns two farms in Day county and his property is the evidence of a life of well directed energy and thrift.

In 1907 Mr. Lundeen was united in marriage to Miss Emma Vehe, a native of Day county, South Dakota, and a daughter of John L. Vehe, who is a retired agriculturist residing in Bristol. Our subject and his wife have two children: Roumelle, who is attending school; and Lloyd.

The religious faith of Mr. and Mrs. Lundeen is that of the Lutheran church, while his fraternal connections are with the Odd Fellows lodge of Bristol, in which he has passed all of the chairs. He exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the republican party and for three years served as mayor of Bristol, carefully directing its interests and seeking at all times to uphold and promote those movements and projects which are a matter of civic virtue and civic pride.


 

 

from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

JOHN G. MILES.

John G. Miles, a cigar manufacturer of Brookings, was born in Howard county,. Iowa, January 8, 1859, a son of John O. and Louise (Taft) Miles, the former a native of Maine and the latter of Wisconsin. The father went to Iowa about 1854, settling in one of the pioneer districts of the state, where he purchased government land at a dollar and a quarter per acre. With resolute energy he began converting the claim into a cultivable and valuable farm and thereon made his home until his death. His widow afterward took up her abode in Cresco, Iowa, where her remaining days were passed.

John G. Miles had good home training, with the benefits to be derived from public school education in Cresco, where he supplemented the work of the lower grades by a high school course. He came to South Dakota in 1881 and took up a preemption in Day county, which he proved up on. In the spring of 1883 he arrived in Brookings, where he entered the employ of B. J. Kelsey, a general merchant. In the fall of 1885 he established himself in the furniture and hardware business in Brookings, but sold out after five years and for some time thereafter gave his attention to the management of his landed properties. His fellow townsmen, appreciative of his worth and ability, however, called him from private life to public office, electing him sheriff of Brookings county in 1906. He made such an excellent record during his first term that he was reelected and thus served for two terms. When he retired from office he purchased his present cigar manufacturing business, which he has since conducted, his trade being largely confined to the eastern part of the state. He is also the owner of the speedy pacing horse Dad Mix, with which he has been winning many of the best purses at the various fairs throughout the middle west, the horse never receiving a lower mark than 2:12 1/2. He is very speedy and will undoubtedly later show among the fast representatives of the track. The landed possessions of Mr. Miles aggregate more than a thousand acres of farming property in Brookings county and in Minnesota.

In 1890 Mr. Miles was married to Miss Katie M. Hall, a daughter of A. M. Hall, a large landowner of Brookings county, who served for four years as county treasurer and otherwise was known as a valued citizen but is now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Miles became the parents of a son. Hall J. In his political views Mr. Miles has always been a stalwart republican since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. He has served as justice of the peace and as town clerk. He belongs to Brookings Lodge, No. 24, A. F. & A. M.; Brookings Chapter, No. 18, R. A. M.; Brookings Commandery, K. T.; the Ancient Order of United Workmen at Elkton; and the Brookings Commercial Club. He advances steadily along the line which he has chosen as a life work, his close application and his judicious investments being salient features in his prosperous career.


 

from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

ALFRED J. MOXNESS.

Alfred J. Moxness,  cashier of the State Bank of Andover, was born in Elizabeth, Minnesota, December 4, 1882, and is the eldest In a family of nine children, eight of whom are living. The parents are Nick and Marine Moxness, natives of Norway, born in 1860 and 1861 respectively. They were married in that country and soon afterward crossed the Atlantic, settling in Elizabeth, Minnesota, where the father worked as a laborer. During the pioneer epoch in the history of Day county. South Dakota, they made their way to Bristol and the came year. 1885, the father homesteaded land, after which he bent his energies to the development and improvement of the farm which he occupied and successfully operated until 1909. Since that year he has been engaged in buying grain in Bristol and success in gratifying measure has attended his efforts. He and his wife are consistent Christian people, holding membership in the Lutheran church. His political views accord with republican principles and he has served as county commissioner and otherwise taken part in political activity. 

In his youthful days Alfred J. Moxness divided his time between attendance at the district schools and work upon the home farm, giving his father the benefit of his services until be attained bin majority. He then turned from agricultural life to become bookkeeper in a bank, where he was employed from 1904 until 1911. In the latter year he removed to Andover, accepting the position as cashier of the State Bank of Andover. which is a growing and reliable institution capitalized for ten thousand dollars, with surplus and undivided profits of forty-five hundred dollars and average deposits of seventy-five thousand dollars.

In 1907 Mr. Moxness was united in marriage to Miss Serena Aadland. a native of Day county and a daughter of Hans Aadland, who was an early settler of Day county, this state.  Our subject and his wife have two children, Harley and Alfred, Jr. Reared in the faith of the Lutheran church. Mr. Moxness has always adhered to its teachings and is one of the faithful members of that denomination in Bristol. He belongs to the Masons, the  Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of the Maccabees and to the Elks lodge  of Aberdeen. In politics a republican, he is now serving as town clerk and was also deputy treasurer of Day county in 1907 but at the end of a year resigned his position and resumed active connection with the banking business, in which he has made a creditable record. He has carefully studied every phase of the business and contributes in large measure to the success of the institution with which he is now connected and which finds in him a most popular and obliging official.


 

from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

LOUIS G. OCHSENREITER.

 Louis G. Ochsenreiter, proprietor of a garage at Webster and owner of a large farm, was born in Harrison county, Indiana, February 17, 1857, a son of Gephard and Pauline Ochsenreiter, both of whom were natives of Germany, in which country they were reared and married. The father, born in 1813, died in 1867. In 1848 he came to the new world, settling in Indiana, and throughout his entire life engaged in business as a tin and coppersmith. He and his wife were members of the Catholic church and in that faith they reared their family of twelve children.

Louis G. Ochsenreiter, the only one now living, was educated in the schools of Minnesota, to which state the family removed just prior to the close of the Civil war. He had very few advantages in his youth. His mother hired him out for a year to work for his board and four dollars per month. Out of his wage for the year he gave his mother forty dollars. He was afterward employed in a hardware store in St. Paul for a year and still later began Belling farm machinery at Jordan, Minnesota. In 1880 he arrived in Day county, South Dakota, and filed on a homestead and a tree claim. In the spring of 1881 he established a hardware business at Webster although there were but few inhabitants in that part of the county. He had the first store on the town site, conducting it in partnership with Andrew Smail, the firm continuing actively and successfully in business for about twenty years under the style of Ochsenreiter & Smail. In 1900 the senior partner turned his attention to the implement business, which he successfully conducted until 1915. He is now proprietor of a garage and sells the Reo, Cadillac and Saxon cars. Already he has established a gratifying business and the growing popularity of the automobile, together with his enterprise and honorable business methods, contribute to his success.

In 1887 Mr. Ochsenreiter married Miss Nellie R. Murphy, a native of Arena, Wisconsin, and in Webster and throughout the county they are well known. They hold membership in the Catholic church and Mr. Ochsenreiter belongs to the Knights of Columbus. A  stanch republican in politics, he was elected the first county treasurer of Day county. He served as president of the village board before Webster was incorporated as a city and several times he has been a member of the school board. He was also a member of the state commission at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago and helped to raise twenty-five thousand dollars for the commission, securing the money throughout the state. Later, however, the legislature appropriated fifty thousand dollars, reimbursing the donors of the previous twenty-five thousand dollars. Mr. Ochsenreiter held the federal position of examiner in the department of justice and in all of the offices that he has filled has proven able, capable and faithful. He still owns his old homestead and tree claim, three miles south of Webster, and since locating thereon he has contributed in large measure to the development and upbuilding of Day county, which he helped to organize and in which he was one of the first settlers.


 

from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

ALFRED E. RAYNES.

Alfred E. Raynes is the editor and proprietor of the Gazette, published at Andover, and is one of the well known and popular newspaper men of Day county. He was born in Greenwich, England, January 28, 1856, and his parents, John G. and Sarah (Newman) Raynes, were also natives of that country. They brought their family to America when their son Alfred was two years of age, the family home being established near Fond du  Lac, Wisconsin, whence a removal was afterward made to Danville, Dodge county. It was there that Alfred E. Raynes learned the printer's trade in the office of the Columbus Republican and still later he was employed on various dailies in Chicago. He became identified with newspaper publication in the Dakota territory when in 1884 he purchased the Andover Gazette, which he has since conducted with growing and gratifying success. He has kept in touch with the trend of progress along journalistic lines, publishes a neat and attractive sheet and in the dissemination of local and general news meets the wishes of his readers and has thereby gained a liberal patronage. He is also the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of land near Andover.

Aside from his activity in business he has done much to further public progress, He was the first president of the board of trustees following the incorporation of the town of Andover and he has likewise filled the position of postmaster. A stalwart republican, he has been chairman of the county republican central committee and for a long time was its secretary. During President Harrison's administration he was a member of the republican state central committee and was by him appointed postmaster. No movement relating to the welfare of the community fails to elicit his interest and when his judgment sanctions a plan he gives to it hearty cooperation.

In June, 1885, Mr. Raynes was united in marriage to Miss Bessie S. Swan, a native of Canada and a daughter of William and Tressa Swan. To them have been born five children, two sons and three daughters, as follows: Marjorie, the wife of Glenn Hoffman, who operates a fruit ranch in the state of Washington; Rex, who is a student in a dental college of Denver, Colorado; Harry, a registered pharmacist residing in Aberdeen; Marie, a high school graduate who is now engaged in teaching; and Kathleen, who is attending school.

Mr. Raynes belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen and to the Masonic fraternity and the Eastern Star and erected the first story of the Masonic Hall, which was finished by the Masons. His is a well-rounded development, manifest in active interest in all those things which have to do with the life of a community, and in personal connections as well as in editorial avenues he has contributed much to public progress. 


 

from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

ELI STEARNS.

 

Among the efficient officers of Day county is numbered Eli Stearns, who is filling the position of register of deeds. His life record began in Wisconsin on the 27th of July, 1857, and he is a representative of an old New England family founded on American soil during colonial times. His paternal grandfather, David Stearns, was born in  Massachusetts and died in New Jersey after devoting his active business life to the operation of cotton and flour mills. His son, Caleb Stearns, was born in New Jersey in January, 1820, and in the year 1845 removed westward to Wisconsin, where he entered a claim, becoming one of the earliest settlers in his part of the state. For a number of years he lived upon and developed his farm, after which he sold the original tract and purchased other land. He continued his residence in Wisconsin until 1883, when he removed to Day county, South Dakota, and took up a homestead, upon which his remaining days were passed. He there lived for a quarter of a century and converted his place from a tract of wild prairie into richly developed fields, winning a considerable measure of success in his farm work. He was a well educated man and exercised considerable influence in community affairs. Fraternally he was connected with the  Masons, while his political belief was that of the republican party. After removing to Wisconsin he married Catherine Grosshans, who was born in Germany in 1829 and was a daughter of John Grosshans. Her father was also a native of Germany and after coming to the new world engaged in farming in Wisconsin, his death eventually occurring in Milwaukee. His daughter was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and died in that faith in 1907, while Mr. Stearns passed away in 1908.

Eli Stearns was the sixth in order of birth in a family of eleven children, eight of whom are yet living. He attended the common schools of Wisconsin and started out in life as a farmer, following that occupation for a time in South Dakota, to which he came in the spring of 1883. He later began business as a stonemason and plasterer near Pierpont, Day county, continuing in active connection with industrial interests until elected to the office of register of deeds in 1906.   He served for two years and then retired.   In 1912,  however, he was reelected and again in 1914, so that he is now serving for a third term in that office. He has also been township clerk and is recognized as one of the leaders of the republican party in Day county.

In 1883 Mr. Stearns was married to Miss Permelia C. Smith, a native of Wisconsin and a daughter of Andrew Smith, one of the early settlers of that state. Her father was a stanch abolitionist and was with John Brown in Kansas, where he lived for several years. He at length met death at the hands of the Indians. Mr. and Mrs. Stearns have become the parents of three children: Nina, who is engaged in teaching in the state of Washington; Clara, the wife of Fred Galbraith, a bookkeeper living in Nebraska; and Lydia, who is acting as deputy register of deeds. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and guide their lives according to its teachings.

Mr. Stearns is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. His influence is always on the side of right and improvement, progress and reform. He devotes the major part of his attention to the duties of his office, which are discharged in a systematic, capable manner, his work giving entire satisfaction, as is indicated by the fact that he has been three times chosen to the position.


 

 

 

 

from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

WILLIAM G. WADDEL.

 

 William G. Waddel, a well known member of the Day county bar and now filling the office of states attorney at Webster, was born in Grant county, Wisconsin, June 29, 1870, and is descended from Scotch ancestry that was early established on American soil. His ancestors went into Kentucky with Daniel Boone and aided in colonizing the "dark and bloody ground." William Waddel, the grandfather of William G. Waddel, was born in Ohio and at an early day removed to Wisconsin, where he followed the occupation of farming and spent the remainder of his life. His son, W. W. Waddel, was born in Wisconsin in 1842, was reared to farm work and also learned and followed the carpenter's trade for a time. He also worked in the lead mines of Wisconsin prior to the Civil war. He married Elizabeth Garner, who was born in the Badger state in 1849, a daughter of Daywald Garner, a native of Pennsylvania, who removed to Wisconsin in 1851 and there resided until called to his final rest. Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Waddel continued to make their home in that state until 1874, when they removed to Iowa. They became the parents of eight children, seven of whom survive: William G.; Thomas Warren, now living upon a farm in Iowa; Arthur, a resident farmer of Day county; Reuben, who follows farming in the same county; Nellie, the wife of Myron Kanago, who lives upon a farm in Day county; and Fred and Edward, both of whom are farming in Day county. The father was a successful man, carefully directing his business affairs and improving his opportunities until he was the possessor of a handsome competence, being financially well off at the time of his death, which occurred in November, 1912. His widow survives. He attended the Methodist Episcopal church and in his political belief was a republican.

William G. Waddel was but four years of age when his parents left Wisconsin for Iowa and in the public schools of the latter state he pursued his preliminary education. He was afterward graduated from the College of Law of the State University of South Dakota with the class of 1904 and entered upon the active practice of his chosen profession at Webster, this state, in connection with E. L. Sheldon, who was the first law student enrolled in the State University, while Mr. Waddel was the second. Their partnership was continued for two years and at the present time Mr. Waddel is a partner of Frank Anderson, their legal business being conducted under the firm style of Anderson & Waddel. He has secured a liberal clientage and his practice has been of an important character. He has proven himself able to cope with involved legal problems and to find for them a correct solution and it is well known that he is most careful and painstaking in the preparation of his cases.

In 1900 Mr. Waddel was united in marriage to Miss Eliza M. Otis, who was born in Union county, South Dakota, a daughter of John J. Otis, who was a miller and millwright and built some of the first mills in South Dakota, having removed to this state, then a territory, in 1877. To Mr. and Mrs. Waddel have been born four children: Sterling, twelve years of age, the first son born to any law graduate of the State University; Garner, aged ten; Kenneth, seven; and Harold, five years of age.

The family attend the Methodist Episcopal church and Mr. Waddel belongs to the Knights of Pythias fraternity. His political indorsement is given to the republican party and upon that ticket he was elected to the office of states attorney in 1912 and again in 1914. His entire attention is given to the duties of his position and to his private law practice. He also has farming interests in Day county, owning a good tract of land. His has been an active life crowned with a gratifying measure of success that is the fitting reward of his intelligently applied effort and his close adherence to the high ideals of the profession.


 

from History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

 

L. C. YOUNG.

L. C. Young was born in Floyd county, Iowa, March 16, 1890, a son of Adam and Anna (Fenzloff) Young, both of whom were natives of Germany. The father was born in 1863 and was a son of John Young, who was a nurseryman and died in Charles City, Iowa, in  1908. The family came to the United States during the boyhood days of Adam Young, who in early manhood took up the trades of painting and decorating, which he followed throughout his remaining days. He was married in Charles City, Iowa, to Miss Anna Fenzloff, who was born in 1867, a daughter of Carl Fenzloff, who is a stonemason by trade and now makes his home in Guthrie, Oklahoma. It was during her girlhood days that Mrs. Young was brought to the new world. She still survives but in 1908 she was called upon to mourn the loss of her husband, who was a consistent and faithful member of the German Lutheran church and was also a valued member of the Modern Woodmen of America. His political allegiance was given to the republican party. In his family were four children: Irving, who is a job printer of Rapid City, South Dakota; L. C; Nettie, the wife of Roy Binkie, a mechanic of Charles City, Iowa; and Hazel.

Reared in Charles City, L. C. Young completed his education by graduation from the high school with the class of 1908. He afterward learned the printer's trade there and later went to Spokane, Washington, where he was employed in a printing office. On the 1st of February, 1914, he arrived in Waubay and purchased a controlling interest in the Waubay Advocate, conducting that newspaper until August 1915, when he disposed of his interest therein to Rome Walker, of Nebraska, who will continue to publish the paper. It has a circulation of seven hundred and is liberally patronized in its job printing department. Mr. Young is a republican in his political views, while his fraternal affiliation is with the Knights of Pythias. He is a young man who in marking out his path in life has chosen wisely and well those things which make for upright manhood and for honorable success.

 



HOME

©Genealogy Trails