East of Hamlin is Deuel County, some account of whose organization is to be found elsewhere in these pages. This growing County was organized April 26, 1878. Its first Commissioners were: Capt N. H. Herrick, B. J. Cochran, Andrew J. Torgenson W. H. Stanley was the first Treasurer; G. W. Baillet, Judge of Probate; H. H. Herrick, Surveyor; M. G. Cobb, Assessor; its present officers are: County Commissioners - Chairman, Jacob Fraker; H. H. Herrick, Erick E. Distad. Register of Deeds - Fred J. Bowman County Treasurer - W. H. Stanley. Sheriff - H. H. Whetstone. Judge of Probate, - G. W. Baillet. Surveyor - W. L. Brown. Superintendent of Schools - C. B. Westcott.
Gary, the County Seat, is a prosperous town of some four hundred inhabitants, with churches, schools and all the concomitants of a growing civilization, and with hotel and other business accommodations of all desirable kinds. Capt. Herrick, the proprietor of the Herrick House, came to Deuel County August 4th, 1871, entered the first land in the county, made the first final proof, and to his "better-half," was born the first child in Deuel County. The county of Deuel is attracting large numbers of the best classes of immigration, and may be set down as one of the permanently prosperous counties of Southeastern Dakota.
Deuel county lies in the wheat belt. It is sufficiently rolling and well supplied with natural pasturage and meadow lands to make it a desirable section for stock raising.
The soil la a dark, vegetable loam, from ten inch on to three feet in depth, underlaid with clay. Good water can be had at a depth of from ten to forty feet. Wheat, oats, corn, barley and all vegetables grow to perfection.
Gary, the county seat of Deuel county, is situated on the Winona & St Peter Railway, just west of the Minnesota State line. It is picturesquely located and is a thriving town, all kinds of business being well represented. The Inter-State is the local newspaper. It has several church organizations and an excellent school. The people are mostly Americans from Minnesota, Wisconsin and New York. A large quarry of limestone, a mill power and abundance of brick clay are advantages worthy of note. Altamont, fourteen miles west of Gary, has a store and lumber yard and presents a good opening for business.
Goodwin, on the western border of the county, is a village of about 800 Inhabitants. It has a flouring mill, and the mercantile interests are well represented. Churches and schools are receiving attention. The railroad lands in this county are being rapidly taken by an excellent class of people, many of whom bring capital as well as energy to aid in developing this new country.