Welcome to South Dakota Genealogy Trails


Douglas County, South Dakota Biographies


 

The Biographical Directory of the Railway Officials of America
T. Addison Busbey, 1906

Le Cocq, Frank, Jr., Chairman South Dakota Railroad Commission. Office Sioux Falls, S. D. Residence Harrison, S. D. Born June 19, 1858, at Pella, Marion County, Ia. Educated in the common schools of Pella and Orange City, Ia. Moved to Sioux City in Oct. 1872 and in 1882 founded the Holland colony in Douglas County, South Dakota. Elected county commissioner of Douglas County in the fall of 1882 and served until 1889, when he resigned to take his seat in the lower branch of the South Dakota Legislature, to which office he had been elected at the state election. Was again elected county commissioner ot Douglas County in 1891, which office he held until he was elected railroad commissioner. He resides at Harrison, S. D., and is engaged in farming, real estate business, etc.


History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915

STEWART SHARPE.

Stewart Sharpe, who is filling the position of county judge, was for a number of years successfully engaged in the practice of law in Delmont and since his elevation to the bench has proved himself a capable and impartial jurist. He was born in Pennsylvania on the 27th of August, 1882. His parents, Moore I. and Catherine (Johnson) Sharpe, are still living and the father is a blacksmith by trade.

Stewart Sharpe attended the public and high schools and was later a student in the State Normal School at Cedar Falls, Iowa. Subsequently he taught for four years, being principal of the schools in Freeman, South Dakota. At the end of that time he abandoned that profession and entered the University of South Dakota, where he pursued a law course, as he had determined upon the legal profession as his life work. He was graduated with his professional degree in 1913 and immediately located in Delmont, Douglas county. He soon gained recognition as an able and conscientious practitioner and won a representative practice. In November, 1914, he was elected county judge on the progressive republican ticket and has since devoted his time to the discharge of his duties in that connection. He not only has the requisite knowledge of statute law and precedent but he also has the ability to rise above his personal predilections and decide a question solely upon its merits.

Judge Sharpe married Miss Elma Eva Bundy, a daughter of C. W. Bundy, of Delmont, the wedding being solemnized on the 10th of June, 1914. Judge Sharpe is a Methodist and not only contributes to the support of the church, but also takes part in its work. He is a member of the Delta Phi Delta, a legal fraternity, and is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He has already accomplished much for one of his years and his many friends predict for him continued success in his chosen profession.

 








BACK
©Genealogy Trails