This comity lies in the southern part of Dakota, between the James and Missouri rivers, and contains 468 square miles, or 399,580 acres. The principal drainage is toward the south. Into Choteau and other creeks, which eventually discharge into the Missouri river. A small area in the extreme northeast corner of the connty is drained by a branch of the James river. There are no lakes in the county, the entire surface being a fine, undulating prairie. The soil consists of a chocolate-colored loam, with a porous clay subsoil.
Grand View, the county seat, was settled in the fall of 1883, and has now a population of 600. It contains a court house, church, two newspapers, two hotels, a school house, bank, and about ten mercantile houses. Grand View is situated near the geographical centre of the county, and was named in consequence of the splendid view it commands of the surrounding country.
Huston and Maltland are thriving villages, and Harrison, Plainview and Beulah are growing settlements.