Fall River County, South Dakota

County History

History of South Dakota, Volume 1
by Doane Robinson
1904
B. F. Bowen & Co., Publishers
transcribed by Vicki Hartman

FALL RIVER COUNTY, SD
Named for the principal stream and created by law March 6, 1883. The famous hot springs are the chief feature of the county, which is located in the southwest corner of the state in the southern portion of the Black Hills. Hot Springs and Edgmont are the principal towns. Hot Springs is the location of Black Hills College, a
Methodist institution, of the state soldiers' home and of the national sanitarium for sick and disabled soldiers and sailors; the latter, now under construction, is the nation's largest establishment for the purpose. The county was doubtless visited by the early trappers and traders and is doubtless the scene of several of the incidents related by Winsor, in "The Oregon Trail," though the fact cannot be definately determined. The famous Wind Cave is one of the great natural attractions of the county. The Northwestern and Burlington Railways traverse the section and connect at Hot Springs. Area, 1,757 square miles. Population, 1900, 3,541.

 


Back to Main Falls River County Website
Genealogy Trails South Dakota