Fall River County Biographies

Colgan, Arthur J.

Greene, Frank M.

Joyce, Rex A.

Mattison, James A.

Paine, George T.

Stevens, Herman B.

Stewart, Charles A.

Wilson, S. Eugene

     

 

 

 

ARTHUR J. COLGAN, one of the leading business men of Edgemont, was born in Burlington, Iowa, on the 25th day of July, 1856. When he was a child his parents moved from the above city to Ottumwa and it was at the latter place that he grew to manhood's estate and received his education, remaining there variously employed until his twenty-second year. In 1878 he went to southwestern Nebraska, thence after a brief period to Colorado, where he engaged in railroading, to which kind of work he devoted his attention until the year 1880, when he came to Valentine, Nebraska, the terminus of the railroad at that time. Valentine being an important point and the center of trade for a large area of country, Mr. Colgan at once opened a restaurant and hotel in the town, which were well patronized, and he continued in this line of business until 1886, when he sold out and changed his location to Oelrichs, Fall River county, near which place he took up land and engaged in cattle raising. After spending two years in the live-stock industry, he opened, in 1888, a general store at Oelrichs, which from the beginning proved very profitable, and in due time he commanded the bulk of the mercantile trade in that town. The business continuing to increase with each succeeding year, he was induced, in 1897, to start a branch store in Edgemont, but three years later the two establishments were combined at the latter place, where, as already indicated, Mr. Colgan is now the leading merchant in the various lines of goods which he handles. He has a large and well-appointed store, carries a full and complete stock of general merchandise and commands a lucrative patronage, his establishment being taxed to its utmost capacity to meet the constantly increasing demands of his numerous customers.

Mr. Colgan not only stands high in commercial circles, but enjoys worthy prestige as one of Edgemont's representative citizens. He has justly earned the American title of self-made man, having from his boyhood relied upon his own exertions for a livelihood, and that too in spite of many obstacles calculated to discourage and deter. Mr. Colgan is a zealous supporter of the Democratic party, but has persistently refused to accept office at the hands of his fellow citizens, having little taste for partisan politics and still less for public honors. He enjoys the confidence and respect of his fellow citizens and is well deserving of mention among the representative citizens of his adopted county and state.

On January 22, 1882, in the town of Montrose, Kansas, Mr. Colgan entered the marriage relation with Miss Ellen Stack, of Iowa, the union being blessed with six children, whose names are as follows: Thomas, Nellie, Edward, Charlie, Mary and Leonard.

[History of South Dakota, Vol. 2 by Doane Robinson, B. F. Bowen & Co., Publisher, 1904. Contributed by Jim Dezotell]


GEORGE T. PAINE is of New England birth and inherits many of the sterling characteristics for which the people of that section of the Union have long been distinguished. He was born January 8, 1861, in Providencetown, Massachusetts, but when a child of seven years was taken by his parents to Champaign, Illinois, where he grew to maturity, received his educational discipline and began his life work. His father being an enterprising contractor and builder, young George was early instructed in brick masonry, and after becoming an efficient workman he followed the trade in different parts of Illinois until 1884, the two or three years prior to that date being devoted to contracting upon his own responsibility. In the fall of 1884 he took a government contract to do certain masonry work in Fort Robinson, South Dakota, which being completed, he was similarly engaged the following years on Fort Niobrara. Finishing these contracts, Mr. Paine, in the latter part of 1885, went to Buffalo Gap, preceding the railroad to that point and located a ranch on Chilsin creek, thirteen miles west of Hot Springs, to which the next spring he brought a large number of cattle with the object in view of making the raising of live stock his principal business. He made many improvements on this ranch and devoted his attention exclusively to cattle raising until 1891, when he was attracted to the newly settled town of Edgemont, where he found abundant opportunity for the exercise of his trade, builders of all kinds having been in great demand at that time. He at once took contracts to erect a number of business blocks, private residences and other kinds of work, and in due time had his various edifices under headway, giving employment to a considerable force of men, who under his leadership soon transformed the place from a wild waste into a beautiful and by no means unpretentious city of large expectations.

The year of his arrival Mr. Paine opened a feed and grain store in Edgemont which early became the chief source of supplies for the farmers of the surrounding country, and he has maintained an establishment of this kind ever since, the meanwhile building up the extensive business which he still commands. In addition to flour, grain, feed, etc., he handles large quantities of coal, being the heaviest dealer in these lines of merchandise in this part of the country.

In 1901 Mr. Paine organized the Bank of Edgemont, a state institution of which he is president, George Highly, vice-president, and H. H. Thompson, cashier, all three business men of recognized ability and high standing. Mr. Paine's brother-in-law, E. L. Arnold, is interested with him in his various business enterprises, the latter looking after the ranch and giving personal attention to the live stock, while the subject manages the bank and store, besides devoting considerable time to contracting, which he still carries on. From the foregoing brief career it will not be difficult to assign Mr. Paine his proper place in the history of Fall River county and the city of Edgemont. In addition to his connection with the general welfare of Fall River county, in the different spheres of endeavor, Mr. Paine proved of great benefit to Edgemont by his activity in behalf of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad and he still has a large contract to furnish the company with sand to be used on the line through this part of the country, thus giving employment to a large force of men who live in the town and who derive their entire income from this source. By good management the subject has come into possession of an ample fortune and is now accounted one of the wealthiest men in the county of Fall River, owning in addition to his various business interests, a large amount of land in different parts of the country, and valuable city property, being one of the heaviest real-estate holders in this section of Dakota. Fraternally Mr. Payne belongs to the Pythian lodge at Edgemont, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, at Lead, and is an influential member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Woodmen of the World organizations, which meet in the former place. Politically a stanch Democrat, he has repeatedly and persistently declined public office, being first of all a business man to whom the plain title of citizen is much more desirable than any honor within the power of the people to confer. Mr. Paine has a beautiful modern
residence in Edgemont, and is the head of a family which is highly esteemed not only in the best social circles of the city, but by all classes and conditions of people in the community.

[History of South Dakota, Vol. 2 by Doane Robinson, B. F. Bowen & Co., Publisher, 1904. Contributed by Jim Dezotell]


 

History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
 

HERMAN B. STEVENS.

Herman B. Stevens is conducting a photographic studio at Hot Springs and his artistic nature, finding expression in his work, has brought to him growing success. He was born in Fort Edward, New York, April 17, 1871, a son of James A. and Sarah J. (Bentley) Stevens, both of whom were natives of the northern part of the state. In early life the father engaged in farming and later turned his attention to railroad work, in which he continued for a number of years.   He then resumed agricultural pursuits.    While connected with railroad interests he was with the Central Vermont at Rutland and afterward removed to southwestern Nebraska, where he again engaged in farming from 1883 until his life's labors were ended in death in January, 1896. His wife survived him for about ten years, passing away in 1906.

Herman B. Stevens was the second born of four children. He attended school at Rutland, Vermont, and afterward was a pupil in the district schools near his father's home in Nebraska. At the age of eighteen years he engaged in farming in that state on school lands and devoted ten years to tilling the soil. On the expiration of that period he entered the employ of the Beatrice Creamery Company, with which he continued for two years and then again gave his attention to farming for three years, during which time he cared for a widowed sister and her six children. He next took a position with the large wholesale hardware concern of Wright & Wilhelmy as a packer and the recognition of his ability won him promotion to the position of assistant foreman in the house. His spare moments were given to gaining knowledge and experience in photographic work. He continued with that firm for six years and then removed to Hot Springs, where he arrived in May, 1911.

At that time he turned his full attention to photography. For two years he was engaged in view work and kodak finishing and at the end of that period purchased and opened for business the studio in which he is now located and which is equipped according to the most modern methods and is first class in every particular. He still makes a specialty of finishing amateur work and in this is an expert. He also does portrait and commercial work and, in fact, is acquainted with every phase of the photographic business. He is likewise a landowner, having an excellent fruit ranch at Payette, Idaho, his home in Hot Springs and other property in the same city.

On the 21st of August, 1907, Mr. Stevens was married to Miss Evangel Livingston, who was born at Missouri Valley, Iowa, a daughter of Abner and Augusta (Titus) Livingston,
both of whom were natives of New York, whence they removed westward to Iowa. The father engaged in railroading but is now practically retired, making his home at Hot  Springs, South Dakota.   He served as a soldier in the Civil war in a New York regiment. In polities Mr. Stevens is a republican, but he has never sought nor desired office, preferring always to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs, and the care and management with which he has controlled his interests and directed his activities have won for him a substantial place among the business men of the Hills country.

 


 

History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915 
 

FRANK M. GREENE.

Frank M. Greene, conducting a tailoring establishment and also engaging in the sale of men's furnishings of all kinds, is one of the enterprising merchants of Hot Springs, where he has built up a business of gratifying proportions. He was born in New York city, March 24, 1885,  a son of Robert and Jane E. (Woods) Greene, both natives of Ireland, the former born in Cork and the latter in Belfast. In early life they came to the new world and formed an acquaintance when on shipboard. They were married in Canada and in that country Mr. Greene engaged in the hardware business for a number of years. Later he began buying horses in New York city, but afterward returned to Canada and subsequently went to Alaska, where he probably passed away.   Mrs. Greene is now a resident of Ilion, New York.

Frank M. Greene was the sixth in order of birth in a family of eleven children. He Attended school in Canada, and when fourteen years of age or earlier began learning the tailor's trade in Toronto, serving an apprenticeship of three years. He then went to Alberta, Canada, where he followed that business for about four years, after which he removed to Great Falls. Montana, where he continued in the same line for eighteen months. He then worked as a journeyman at different places and in different states until the 27th of September, 1909, when he established his present business at Hot Springs. He is there conducting a tailoring establishment, in addition to which he carries a large line of ready-made clothing, shoes and, in fact, everything in men's furnishings, and does a dry cleaning business. Success has attended the venture from the beginning and in the intervening period of six years he has built up a large trade and now enjoys a liberal patronage.

On the 2d of April, 1913, Mr. Greene was united in marriage to Miss Madeline Murray, who was born at Greeley Center, Nebraska, a daughter of Patrick J. and Lydia (Gaffney) Murray, both of whom were natives of Cork, Ireland, where they were reared and married. The father there engaged in the meat business for a number of years and afterward became proprietor of a meat market at Greeley Center, Nebraska, where he still  continues in business. To Mr. and Mrs. Greene has been born a daughter, Jane Elizabeth,  whose birth occurred September 16, 1914.

Mr. Greene holds membership in the Roman Catholic church and belongs to the Knights of Columbus. He is also affiliated with the Elks at Rapid City and gives his political allegiance to the democratic party. Undoubtedly, one of the elements of his growing success is the fact that he has never dissipated his energies over a broad field of business but has concentrated his efforts upon the line in which he embarked as a young tradesman, thus gaining skill and efficiency with experience. He conducts a first class establishment at Hot Springs and his business is growing year by year.

 


 

History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
 

 REX A. JOYCE.

Rex A. Joyce, who is engaged in the undertaking and embalming business at Hot Springs, was born in St. Louis, Missouri, November 21, 1889, a son of James W. and Mary E. (Adams) Joyce. The father's birth occurred at Brownley, Kent county, England, and the mother was born in New York state at Dexter, near Watertown. When about fourteen years of age James W. Joyce came to the United States. He first settled in New York, but soon afterward went to St. Louis, Missouri, and in 1890 removed to Hot Springs,  establishing what is now the Joyce Undertaking Parlors. He continued in the business until his death, which occurred July 1, 1911. After locating in Hot Springs, however, he conducted a furniture business in connection with the undertaking establishment for a number of years. He filled the office of county coroner for a number of terms and was a well known and highly respected citizen of his community. His widow still makes her home in Hot Springs.  In the family were two children, but the elder died in infancy.

Rex A. Joyce attended the public schools of Hot Springs and the Boyles Business College at Omaha, Nebraska. After studying embalming at the Williams Institute at Kansas City he assisted his father in the business until the latter's death and then took charge of the business, which he. has since successfully conducted. He is accorded a liberal patronage and he devotes his entire time thereto. The business is conducted in buildings which were erected by the father and the equipment is complete and modern. He carries a large line of caskets and undertakers' supplies and in all of his dealings is thoroughly reliable. He is also a landowner in the county and state and owns city property in Hot Springs.

On the 8th of June, 1912, Mr. Joyce was married to Miss Merial M. Chappell, who was born in South Dakota near Pierre, a daughter of Rev. E. S. Chappell, a Methodist Episcopal minister now located in Bellingham, Washington, being manager for the Bellingham district of the Washington Children's Home.   His wife is a native of England.

Mr. Joyce gives his political allegiance to the democratic party but has never sought nor desired public office. He is well known in fraternal circles, belonging to the Masonic lodge at Hot Springs, of which he is the secretary, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Yeomen. He is likewise a member of the South Dakota Undertakers' Association and thus keeps in touch with everything that is of  interest or value to his line of business. He is likewise a member of the Commercial Club of Hot Springs and gives a helpful cooperation to plans and measures for the general good. His fellow townsmen recognize in him an enterprising young business man and his social qualities have made him popular with many friends.

 


 

History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
 

COLONEL JAMES A. MATTISON, M. D.

Dr. James A. Mattison, governor and chief surgeon of the Battle Mountain Sanitarium of Hot Springs, a national sanitarium for disabled volunteer soldiers, has proved a most
capable executive and is also a surgeon of much more than ordinary skill. He was born in Nashville, Tennessee, February 3, 1670, a son of John and Anna (Acker) Mattison, both of whom were natives of South Carolina.

The Doctor was born and reared on a farm and at the age of eighteen years was thrown
upon his own resources, starting out at that time to work his own way through college. After completing his preparatory education he entered the University of Nashville and was graduated therefrom in the class of 1815, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts. During the following year he was principal of the city schools of Lewisburg, Tennessee. In 1896 he entered the medical department of the University of Michigan, from which he was graduated in 1900. He then took a competitive examination for an appointment as interne in the university hospital and won the highest honors, serving his internship during the following year. In 1901 he was made instructor in physiology in the Toledo Medical College and the following year was appointed surgeon of the National Military Home at Marion, Indiana, remaining there for a period of nine years. In the meantime, in 1905, he went to Europe, where he spent some time doing post-graduate work in the University of Berlin, Germany, in Berne, Switzerland, and in London. In 1911 Dr. Mattison was appointed governor and chief surgeon of Battle Mountain Sanitarium, a government sanitarium located at Hot Springs, South Dakota, and has since filled that position to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. Through his surgical ability he has been able to restore the sight of many of the veterans and has prolonged the lives of many others. His reputation among his professional brethren is high and he is a valued member of the Black Hills Medical Society, the South Dakota State Medical Society, the American Medical Association, and the association of Military Surgeons of the United States. He never allows himself to fall behind the march of medical and surgical science,  but on the contrary, through continual study keeps informed as to the achievements of investigators and of surgeons throughout the world. The large measure of success that he has gained is due entirely to his devotion to his profession and his well known rectitude and probity.

 


History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
 

CHARLES A. STEWART.

Charles A. Stewart, cashier of the Stockmans Bank, is a respected resident of Hot Springs and is proving a worthy son of his father, Dr. Alexander S. Stewart, who did much for the early development of the city. His birth occurred at Tecumseh, Nebraska, on the 7th of November, 1873, and the father waa born in Switzerland county, Indiana, August 2, 1839, but as a boy removed with his parents to Winterset, Iowa, and acquired his preparatory education at the Iowa Wesleyan Academy. His preparation for his profession  was made in a medical college at Cincinnati, which conferred upon him the degree of M. D. in 1864. He served for eighteen months as a lieutenant in Company E, Second Nebraska Cavalry, in the Civil war and had the good fortune to escape sickness and wounds. He began practice in Pawnee county, Nebraska, and soon after settling there became prominently identified with public affairs, being one of the leaders in the republican party. He was a member of the last territorial council and the first state senate  of Nebraska, and in 1870 was a state representative. The following year he was a member of the constitutional convention and in 1877 was appointed register of the land office at Deadwood, Dakota, by President Hayes. Accepting that position be removed to Deadwood and discharged the duties devolving upon him for four and a half years. In 1882 he settled in Hot Springs, which remained his home until his death, and in connection with four other men he organized a company which platted the town of Hot Springs. He was elected to the last territorial legislature and introduced the bill to locate the State Old Soldiers Home at Hot Springs. Although there was considerable opposition, his generalship was such that the bill was passed and a good appropriation secured.  During the long years of his residence in Hot Springs he was intimately connected with many movements that resulted in the progress and advancement of the city and served as mayor of that municipality. He continued active in the real-estate business for many years and his activities were a benefit to the public as well as to himself, as he planned his  operations with a view to the larger development of the city. He was state commander of the Grand Army of the Republic and belonged to a number of fraternal orders. While still a resident of Nebraska he was superintendent of the State Insane Hospital there and proved an able executive. His religious faith was that of the Christian church. He passed away in Hot Springs in January, 1911, and his widow, who bore the maiden  name of Mary A. Woods and was born in Jefferson county, Indiana, in 1851, still resides in that city.  They were the parents of four children: One who died in childhood; Blanche, the wife of William H. Stanley, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this work; Charles A., of this review; and Harry, who passed away in Hot Springs at the age of  twenty-five years.

Charles A. Stewart entered the Black Hills College of Hot Springs after completing a course in the common schools and in securing an excellent education laid the foundation for his later success in life. Upon leaving school he was employed in the postoffice and continued there for ten years, at the end of which time he entered the Stockman's Bank of Hot Springs as assistant cashier. After serving for three years in that capacity he was elected cashier of that institution, which office he has since held.   All that he does is characterized by energy, efficiency and sound judgment and his management of the affairs of the Stockman's Bank has resulted in its prosperity and growth. His advice is often sought and followed in financial matters and he is justly accounted one of the leaders in banking circles in his section of the state. He is half owner of the Evans Plunge, which is the leading bath and plunge of Hot Springs and also owns considerable land in this state.

Mr. Stewart was married October 4, 1904, Miss Isabel Dunn, a native of Deadwood and a daughter of William and Estella (Jinks) Dunn, becoming his wife. Her father was born in Minnesota and her mother in Nebraska, but both removed to the Black Hills district in early life. For many years Mr. Dunn was chief of the Deadwood police force and died in the service about 1892. His widow survives and is still living in Deadwood. Mr. and Mrs. Stewart are the parents of two children: Duncan A., born January 11, 1907; and Mary Belle, whose birth occurred on the 24th of September, 1913.

Mr. Stewart is a loyal republican and is at present city treasurer of Hot Springs, serving his fourth term. Fraternally be is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Although he is always ready to cooperate in movements for the good of the public, his time is largely given to his duties as cashier of the Stockman's Bank, as be feels that in so doing be is not only serving his individual interests but those of the community as well, since the prosperity and solidity of the  banks of a city have much to do with its welfare.

 


History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
 

S. EUGENE WILSON.

S. Eugene Wilson, of Hot Springs, is well known both as a lawyer and lawmaker. In the courts he is a forceful advocate and he has also left the impress of his individuality upon the laws of the state through his service as a member of the legislature. He was born in Princeton, Bureau county, Illinois, a son of Stephen B. and Eliza A. (Jones) Wilson, both of whom were natives of the state of Virginia. On leaving the Old Dominion they went to Ohio and thence removed to Illinois in the year 1851. Subsequently they took up their abode on a farm in Bureau county and later lived in Putnam county upon a farm. From that locality they drove by team to Fremont county, Iowa, where the father secured a raw tract of land of one hundred and sixty acres, which his son Eugene broke the following year. The father and mother there spent their remaining days.   Their family numbered five children.

Eugene, the youngest of the family, attended a country school of Putnam county through the winter months until he reached the age of seventeen years, when he successfully passed the required examination and obtained a teacher's certificate. He taught school in Iowa and then entered Simpson College at Indianola, Iowa, where he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science, and later with the Master of Science degree. He first took up the profession of teaching when seventeen years of age and he worked his way through the advanced schools which he attended. He served as deputy county auditor of Warren county, working nights and Saturdays and in vacation periods for two years while in college. While principal of schools at Essex, Iowa, he was elected to the office of county superintendent of schools of Page county, Iowa, in which position he served for six years. During that period the hours usually termed leisure were devoted to the study of law, and following his admission to the bar he went direct to Hot Springs in 1886. There he tried the first case in a court of record in Fall River county, and has continued in practice there continuously since July, 1886

Mr. Wilson served as states attorney of Fall River county for ten years. While acting as prosecuting attorney he was the last to hold that office under territorial rule and the first under the state government. He prosecuted the first case in Fall River county before a jury for selling liquor and convicted the first man ever convicted in the Black Hills by a  jury for the illegal sale of liquor. The certificate under the seal of the circuit court of Fall River county September 6, 1895, shows "that eighty cases of indictable offences were tried in Fall River county between the years 18S7 and 1897, thirty-eight of which cases were tried during 1889, 1890, 1891 and 1892, covering the time of Mr. Wilson's first two terms as states attorney, and that among the thirty-eight cases tried thirty-two convictions were obtained, and six found not guilty." Still higher official honors were conferred upon him in his election to the state senate.   He served as president pro tern of the senate, and also on no less than eight important committees. He was chairman of the committee on state affairs, was a member of the appropriations, judiciary, public health, irrigation and education committee, the latter committee being presided over by George Kingsbury, of Yankton. He has served on the board of education at Hot Springs for more than twenty years and is still acting in that capacity. He has recognized fully the obligations and responsibilities incident to the public offices which he has filled, and his record as an official is above reproach. He is serving on the board of irrigation commissioners for the United States, being one of its two members from South Dakota. He was a member of the Trans-Mississippi Congress in St. Louis, and also of the Trans-Mississippi Congress held in Omaha in 1897. He also represented South Dakota in the Reclamation Congress which met in Denver in 1913. The foregoing shows how broad has been his study along lines affecting the material development of the country, the use of its natural resources and the conservation of its interests. He is a landowner in South Dakota, having valuable ranch property, and has one of the best modern residences in Hot Springs

On the 13th of September, 1882, Mr. Wilson was married to Miss Lucy E. Allen, of Chariton, Iowa. They have a son and a daughter. The son, Clifford Allen, is now associated with his father in the practice of law. He graduated from the law department of the University of Colorado in 1911 with the highest honors of his class. He was admitted to the bars of both Colorado and South Dakota, and has since been associated with his father in the practice of his profession. Edith Eugenia, who is a graduate of the high school of Hot Springs, attended Morningside College at Sioux City, Iowa, and afterward completed a course in the Lincoln Business College, of which the son. Clifford A., is also a graduate. Mr. Wilson and his family hold membership with the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics he is a republican, and for many years was chairman of the Fall River delegations to the state conventions. He is well known in fraternal circles, and is chairman of the board of directors of the Yeomen, a fraternal insurance order having over two hundred thousand members, covering thirty-five states of the Union and parts of Canada, with headquarters at Des Moines, Iowa. In the Odd Fellows society he is a past grand master and is the present grand representative to the Sovereign Grand Lodge of the World. He is a charter member of Hot Springs Lodge and was its first representative to the Grand Lodge of South Dakota. For eighteen years he has. been a member of the board of trustees of the Odd Fellows' Home. He is also connected with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He is likewise a member of the board of managers of the Commercial Club of Hot Springs. Mr. Wilson is indeed a man whose life has been a moving factor in many phases of modern life, and whether as an attorney, legislator, representative of his state on important committees, or fraternal officer, his course has been such as to relied credit upon his ability and integrity, as he has displayed marked qualities of initiative and courage, directed by sound judgment, and his rectitude and probity have at all times been above question. It is to such men as he that the growth and development of the middle west have been due, and it is to such as he that the state of South Dakota looks to secure her further advancement.

 

 


Back to Main Falls River County Website
Genealogy Trails South Dakota