Faulk County, South Dakota

Churches

Pastors of the DeVoe Methodist Church

A Short History of the Devoe Methodist Church

History of the Women's Organization of the Devoe Church

St. Joseph Church, Orient, photo

Benedictine Sisters Convent and St. Mary's Church, Zell, photo

M. E. Church, Faulkton, photo

Methodist Episcopal Appointments, 1889

Methodist Church Appointments, 1892

Methodist Episcopal Appointments, 1893

Methodist Episcopal Appointments, 1894-5

Catholic Church, Faulkton, photo

 

 



 

Methodist Church appointments for 1892

SOURCE: Faulk County Record, Thursday, November 5 1891, Page 2

Contributed by Harold Way

South Dakota Methodist Conference

After a most interesting session of five days the Methodist conference of South Dakota has adjourned. The action of the conference is adopting a resolution condemning the republican party for its position on the prohibition question creates quite a stir at Sioux Falls where the conference was held.

The next meeting of the Conference will be held at Madison, at a date to be fixed by the bishop. The appointments are as follows.

ABERDEEN DISTRICT

Presiding Elder F. A. Burdick

Aberdeen city circuit to be supplied

Andover - W. O. Grant

Ashton -  C. R. Warren

Bath -  Edward Vaughn

Bowie and Bango  - A. M. Ward

Britton  - C. E. Matteson

Columbia and Ordway -  W. H. Casey

Campbell county -  S. F. Brown

Coral -  J. D. Allson

DeVoe -  Supplied by J. H. Murray

Doland -  G. W. Hickman

Ellendale -  J. A. Ellis

Frankfort -  to be supplied

Frederick -  T. D. Cotling

Groton -  W. D. Dioble

Hecla -  E. L. Filmore

Ipswich -  to be supplied

Langford -  L. W. Ray

Leola -  Bromaghm

Mellette E. O. Bullock

Newark -  G. F. Bieber

Northville -  A. D. Smith

Warner -  J. B. Williams

 

HURON DISTRICT

Lewis Bradford, presiding elder

Alpena -  T. H. Hendricks

Blunt -  Supplied by Ed McCrea

Cavour -  Supplied by E. E. Dean

DeSmet -  L. B. Wylie

Faulkton -  to be supplied

Gettysburg -  to be supplied

Hand -  to be supplied

Highmore -  to be supplied

Hitchcock -  E. L. Chappell

Huron -  F. D. Newstone

Iroquois -  Thos. Carson

Lake Preston -  to be supplied

Miller -  E. S. Darling

Oneida -  Manuel Ash

Pierre -  W. S. Carpenter

East Pierre -  to be supplied

First Church -  to be supplied

Ft. Pierre -  to be supplied

Redfield -  E. T. Brush

S. Lawrence -  J. Davis

Wessington Springs -  J. E. Norville

Wessington and Wolsey -  A. E. Tarner

Winthrop -  Supplied ty A. P. Jones

Temperance agent -  William Fielder

 

MITCHELL DISTRICT

C. B. Clark, presiding elder

Alexandria -  S. E. Fish

Armour and Delmont -  L. A. Sparks

Artesian -  W. H. Irwin

Bridgewater -  G. J. Corwin

Edgerton -  to be supplied

Ethan  - A. P. Jones

Fulton  - E. W. Sage

Howard and Carthage -  H. Haynes

Kimball and Chamberlain -  A. Colony

Mitchell -  A. B. Bozus

Mitchell circuit -  Supplied by Jesse Smith

Mt. Vernon -  C. E. Ward

Parkston - Supplied by J. W. Taylor

Plankinton -  F. H. Wheeler

Salem -  M. E. Nickerson

Scotland -  Wm. Underwood

Tyndall and Springfield -  J. G. Hull

White Lake -  Supplied by F. Bieber

Woonsocket -  T. H. Youngman

 

SIOUX FALLS DISTRICT

W. H. Jordan, presiding elder

Alcester -  A. H. Cotton

Beresford -  Supplied by J. C. Wilson

Canton -  Duane Refenhark

Centerville -  J. H. Kevan

Dell Rapids - W. F. Minty

Egan -  Supplied by Nathan Farwell

Elk Point and Richland -  A. Jameson

Flandreau -  Joseph Mottershead

Gayview -  Supplied by George R. Oake

Hartford and Montrose -  W. O. Redfield

Hurley -  A. E. Carhart

Lennox -  to be supplied

Lodi -  H. W. Brown

Madison -  C. E. Hage

Parker -  J. W. Hyde

Prospect -  Supplied by L. Huckios

Sioux Falls Circuit -  Supplied by W. J. Wilson

First church -  L. L. Hanscom

East church -  J. P. Jenkins

Vermillion -  C. D. Cicworth

Yankton -  J. S. Akers

 

WATERTOWN DISTRICT

H. H. Dresser, presiding elder

Arlington -  Thomas Wilkinson

Aurora -  R. C. St. Clair

Big Stone City -  to be supplied

Bradley -  to be supplied

Bristol -  W. H. Calvin

Brookings -  L. W. Miller

Clark -  Thomas Simmons

Elkton -  B. C. Silas

Esteline and Castlewood -  T. H. Trevichick

Clear Lake -  F. E. Seaser

Henry - 

Kampeska -  J. D. Diddle

Milbank -  A. D. Drake

Twin Brooks -  Supplied by R. W. Loverling

Watertown -  A. W. Adkinson

Waverly -  Supplied by J. W. Stokebury

Webster -  H. F. Knight

White -  H. M. Springer

Willow Lake -  F.Donohue

Wilmot -  O. A. Philips
 


SOURCE: Faulk County Record, October 25, 1888, Page 6
Contributed by Harold Way

METHODIST ASSIGNMENTS MADE FOR THE COMING YEAR

METHODIST PASTORAL APPOINTMENTS.

Just previous to the adjournment of the South Dakota conference the bishop made the following assignments for the coming year:

ABERDEEN DISTRICT: Wm. Fielden, presiding elder
Aberdeen W. H. Selleck
Andover to be supplied
Ashton O. A. Phillips
Athol W. W. Brown
Bangor S. F. Brown
Bath to be supplied
Britton David Gostellow
Campbell county W. L. Lee
Clairmont [sic] and DeVoe [sic] W. H. Irwin  (note: Claremont and Detroit)
Columbia and Ordway Thos. Simmons
Coral Geo. F. Beebe
Dorland [sic[ and Frankfort A. F. Thompson
Ellendale G. D. Cleworth
Frederick F. Nichols
Groton T. S. Fowler
Ipswich S. C. Leavell
Langford to be supplied
Leola G. W. Hickman
Ludden E. Vaughn
Midland J. S. Ackers
Newark Thos. Trevellick
Northville and Mellette A. E. Burrows
Putney P. S. Smith
Roanoke and DeVoe E. O. Bullerk
Roscoe and Bowdle L. A. Beach
Warner C. B. Warren

HURON DISTRICT: Lewis Bradford, presiding elder
Alpena W. H. Underwood
Blunt J. F. Davis
Burkmere to be supplied
Cavour A. M. Virden
Faulkton W. J. Hyde
Forest City to be supplied
Gettysburg A. E. Turner
Hand circuit E. S. Chappell
Highmore J. G. Palmer
Highmore circuit J. H. Gowdy
Hitchcock R. C. Opie
Huron H. H. Dresser
Iroquois W. H. Matson
Onida J. D. Allison
Pierre J. C. Phifer
Redfield O. H. Sproul
St. Lawrence E. Craven
Waterbury J. Q. Nicholls
Wessington and Miller L. G. Furnier
Wessington Springs Chas. Vessey
Winthrop A. D. Smith
Wolsey A. Matson

MITCHELL DISTRICT: C. B. Clark, presiding elder
Alexandria T. H. Youngman
Armour Wm. M. Welch
Bridgewater Wm. Pagenhart
Bijou Hills Arza Jaynes
Chamberlain J. A. Sparks
Delmont T. H. Hendricks
Artesian W. E. Gifford
Carthage O. H. Delagardie
Edgerton Abel Cotton
Ethan and Parkston to be supplied
Fulton E. W. Sage
Howard A. R. Boggs
Mitchell E. H. Wyckloff
Mt. Vernon W. F. Minty
Plankinton S. Washburn
Scotland L. W. Miller
Salem L. B. Wiles
Springfield Chas. Arthur
Tyndall J. G. Corwin
White Lake W. Underwood
Woonsocket I. G. Hall
Mitchell circuit H. T. Curl
President, Dakota Wesleyan University Wm. Brush, D.D.
Vice President, Dakota Wesleyan University A. W. Adkinson

SIOUX FALLS DISTRICT: L. Hartsough, presiding elder
Alcester S. D. McUnder
Beresford O. A. Harpel
Centerville S. A. French
Canton A. Jamison
Dell Rapids J. P. Jenkins
Egan to be supplied
Elk Point D. Rifenbark
Elk Point circuit S. Kister
Flandrau [sic] A. D. Dexter
Gayville L. H. Huckins
Hartford T. Carson
Hurley to be supplied
Lennox M. E. Nickerson
Lodi J. E. Naryell
Montrose W. J. Wilson
Parker T. E. Walker
Prospect W. O. Redfield
Redfield P. O. Wentworth
Richland to be supplied
Sioux Falls F. M Robertson
Sioux Falls circuit C. S. Mooers
Sherman E. S. Fox
Vermillion J. C. Shelland
Yankton F. A. Burdick

WATERTOWN DISTRICT: A. D. Traveller, presiding elder
Arlington W. C. Sage
Big Stone City S. D. Robinson
Bristol S. P. Brokaw
Bradley A. C. Beaver
Brookings James Rowe
Clear Lake C. East
Clark Thomas Hambly
Clark circuit James Trewartha
Gary F. P. Wheeler
]Henry Robt. St. Clair
Madison C. E. Hager
Willow Lakes Joseph Mottorshead
Milbank Wm. H. Jordan
Twinbrooks James M. Kemp
Watertown E. E. Clough
Waverly Donald McLean
Webster Charles B. Gilbert
Wilmot Thomas A. Jones
Kampeska H. M. Springer
Elkton Fred E. Leazer
Estelline A. McClintock
Lake Preston to be supplied
Midland James Dibble


Contributed by Harold Way
The Methodist Episcopal Church held its Annual Conference in Brookings. It was reported that it was “one of the most profitable conferences ever held in the state. The only unpleasant feature was the trial of Mr. Burros, the evangelist, for ‘conduct unbecoming to a minister of the gospel.’ [see article following listing of appointments]

Among the more important items of business was the appointment of ministers throughout the Conference. In the October 26, 1893 issue of the Faulk County Record (page 2) the list of appointments was published:

ABERDEEN DISTRICT
J. S. Akers, Presiding Elder, Aberdeen
Aberdeen C. E. Hager
Andover A. Matson (supp)
Ashton J. B. Dibble
Bath, Columbia and Putney F. C. MacDuffee
Bowdle and Bangor A. D. Smith
Britton C. E. Matteson
Campbell County and Eurika to be supplied
Claremont E. W. Akers
Conde G. F. Bieber
DeVoe J. B. Williams (supp)
Doland G. W. Hickman
Ellendale and Frederick W. O. Gram
Frankfort J. L. Brown (supp)
Groton W. D. Doeble
Hecla F. L. Bromaghim
Ipswich and Leola F. Lines
Langford E. L. Fillmore
Newark to be supplied
Northville and Mellette W. H. Cory
Warner R. L. DeGrolier (supp)
Westport and Orday[sic] A. A. Nichols
J. C. Shetland, Supt. Sisseton Agency, Member Aberdeen Quarterly Conference

Sioux Falls District
W. P. Jordan, Presiding Elder, Sioux Falls
Alcester W. C. Cleworth
Beresford Thos. Moris (supp)
Canton Duane Rifenbark
Centerville C. R. Pattee
Egan G. B. Dodd
Elk Point A. Jamison
Dell Rapids W. J. Hyde
Flandreau to be supplied
Gayville A. E. Tanner
Hartford W. O. Redfield
Hudson A. E. Carhart
Hurley G. F. Hopkins
Lennox E. Honeywell
Lodi S. A. Keister
Madison J. P. Jenkins
Montrose to be supplied
Parker Jos. Mottershead
Prospect Newhall
Richland to be supplied
Rowena N. Farwell
Sioux Falls (First) J. O.. Dobson
Sioux Falls (Jordan) H. W. Brown
Vermillion G. D. Cleworth
Wakonda and Volin John Kaye
Yankton C. H. Smith
Teacher in Flandreau Indian School Hosea Locke

Watertown District
H. H. Dresser, Presiding Elder, Watertown
Arlington O. A. Phillips
Aurora and Elkton T. H. Trevithick
Big Stone City D. E. Wilson (supp)
Bristol Frank Bayer
Brookings William Fielder
Bradley H. M. Springer (supp)
Clear Lake and Goodwin H. T. Knight
Gary and Revillo C. O. Walker
Henry W. F. Minty
Kampeska Thos. Wilkinson
Lake Preston A. J. Northup
Twin Brooks to be supplied
Watertown W. H. Vance
Webster Jos. Morrison
White S. A. French
Willow Lake B. C. Sills
Wilmot A. D. Dexter

Huron District
Thos Simmons, Presiding Elder, Huron
Alpena J. D. Allison
Blunt John Lewiss
Burdett F. D. Bieber (supp)
Cavour H. S. Coon (supp)
DeSmet George H. Burge
East Pierre and Ft. Pierr W. B. Hawkinson (supp)
Faulkton Wm. B. Stewart
Gettysburg Wm J. Brient
Highmore E. S. Darling
Hitchcock J. W. Stokesberry
Huron C. B. Clark, D. D.
Iroquois W. S. Carpenter
Miller E. S. Darling
Onida M. Ash (supp)
Pierre J. W. Pyle
Redfield A. C. Stevens
St. Lawrence J. F. Davis
Wessington E. E. Dean
Wessington Springs J. E. Norvell
Winthrop O. H. Sproni
Wolsey E. E. Dean

Mitchell District
A. R. Bogg, Presiding Elder, Mitchell
Alexandria C. B. Warren
Armour I. A. Sparks
Artesian G. D. Brown
Bridgewater Wm. Underwood
Castalia T. H. Hendricks
Edgerton L. Hiersman (supp)
Ethan and Bard E. W. Sage
Fulton J. W. Taylor
Howard M. E. Nickerson
Kimball Jesse Smith
Mitchell Louis Bradford
Mitchell Circuit R. M. Staveley (supp)
Mt. Vernon D. Barker (supp)
Parkston and Tripp G. J. Corwin
Plankinton O. Williamson
Scotland C. E. Wood
Tyndall J. G. Hall
White Lake E. P. James
Woonsocket T. H. Youngman
Salem W. H. Erwin
Chamberlain to be supplied
F. A. Burdick, agent Dakota University

Approximately three weeks prior to the publication of the list of ministerial appointments a related article appeared in the Faulk County Record pertaining to the above mentioned “unpleasant feature.” That article follows:

It is said that Evangelist Burrows who has been holding revival meetings in Gettysburg left that town ahead of schedule time on account of undue familiarity with some of his would be converts. The indignant citizens gave him 15 mitutes to get out of town in and he “got” in 10, so says our informant.


SOURCE: The Republican-Record, Thursday, October 18, 1894, Page 8
Contributed by Harold Way

THE M. E. CONFERENCE.

Ministerial Appointments Made at the Watertown Meeting.

Bishop Fowler addressed an audience of 1,000 in the Methodist Church at Watertown. Appointments for next year were as follows:

ABERDEEN DISTRICT
J. S. Akers, presiding elder, Aberdeen
Aberdeen E. W. Nazatene
Bath, Columbia and Ordway supplied
Bowdle and Bangor supplied
Britton and Newark W. F. Manty
Campbell and Eureka A. J. Jolly
Claremont and Putney A. D. Smith
Conde and Garden Prairie F. C. McDuffiee
Devoe J. B. Williams
Doland Geo. W. Hickman
Frederick and Westport supplied
Groton and Andover W. D. Debbie
Hecla F. J. Bromaghim
Leola supplied
Langford W. Gram
Northville W. H. Cory
Scatterwood H. L. Degoiler
Warner and Randall A. Matson

MITCHELL DISTRICT
A. R. Boggs, presiding elder, Mitchell
Alexander A. P. Lanes
Armour M. R. Hackman
Artesian John Thomas
Bridgewater William Underwood
Castalia and Edgerton R. M. Starley
Fulton D. W. Taylor
Ethan and Bard supplied
Howard and Carthage M. E. Nickerson
Kimball and White Wave Gesse Smith
Letcher E. W. Sage
Mitchell L. Bradford
Mt. Vernon B. Barker
Parkston and Tripp A. M. Ward
Plankinton C. Williams
Scotland C. E. Wood
Salem W. H. Irwin
Tyndall and Springfield J. G. Hall
Woonsocket Herbert Haines

HURON DISTRICT
T. Simmons, presiding elder
Elk Point A. E. Carhart
Flandreau G. S. Watson
Gayville F. S. Nichols
Hartford W. O. Redfield
Hudson G. J. Corwine
Hurley John Kaye
Lennox John Lewias
Lodi H. B. Clearwater
Madison J. P. Jenkins
Marion Junction G. B. Dodd
Montrose and Prospect L. Huckins
Parker C. E. Matteson
Richmond G. M. Newhall
Sioux Falls, First Church J. O. Dobson
Jordan W. H. Brown
East Sioux Falls Nathan Fawall
Volin, Morris and Vermillion C. E. Hager
Yankton C. H. Smith
Hosea Locke, principal teacher in Flandreau Indian School

WATERTOWN DISTRICT
H. H. Dresser, presiding elder, Watertown
Arlington O. A. Phillips
Aurora and Elkton T. H. Trevithie
Big Stone City T. J. Northrup
Bristol supplied
Brookings T. H. Youngman
Bradley L. S. Starkness
Clark H. M. Springer
Clear Lake H. F. Knight
Gary C. R. Walker
Henry Thos. Sanderson
Kampeska A. W. Starkes
Lake Preston supplied
Milbank supplied
Watertown W. H. Vance
Webster J. R. Dibble
Willow Lake B. C. Sills
Wilmot D. L. Dexter
White S. A. French

 


History of the Women’s Organization of the Devoe Church
By Audrey Emma (Miller) Way

The earliest record began in 1897 when the Ladies Aid Society was reorganized and officers elected. In those horse-and-buggy days the women often went to their meetings in the morning and spent the whole day. Devotions were held and sewing was done for the hostess or some needy family in the neighborhood. A sample dinner menu contained three kinds of meat and several desserts. Carpet rags were often sewn and at one time they sewed for rugs for the parsonage. Many quilts were pieced and comforters were tied. Dues were twenty-five cents per year.

The Devoe store sold calico for six cents per yard and carried only a few patterns. Aprons were made from material purchased there and sold at their bazaars. Ice cream was sold for ten cents a dish by the ladies. Sun bonnet s were made and sold for twenty-five cents each. A popular way to raise money was to sell Larkin products. An investment of $10.00 would bring in $20.00 when sold. They also organized basket socials, chicken pie suppers, and five cents or ten cents socials. A Thanksgiving dinner was planned for the community and it cost thirty cents for adults and ten cents for children.

The ladies attended to the upkeep of the parsonage and the church. A cistern was dug, a porch built and they purchased lumber for horse sheds and a coal shed. That these women had shrewd business sense is evidenced in their purchase of an organ. They compared prices and bought from an agent who allowed $15.00 for the old organ, paid the freight on the new one and threw in an organ stool besides.

They paid $100.00 toward the minister’s salary and up to $25.00 for the janitor. There was a concern for the young people and they planned parties and entertainment for them. Women for miles around were invited to join the society. At the time of the fiftieth anniversary of the church there were 108 names on the ladies membership list.

Speaking of outreach, the record book states that they read a petition to be presented to the Czar of Russia. An 1886 record shows that many of these same women also belonged to the WCTU.

A French war orphan was adopted for a two-year period following World War I. They held an annual bazaar and continued the Thanksgiving dinners for the community. They also had carnivals and fairs. During the years of the depression the men held rabbit hunts and the women gave dinners to help raise money for their various projects. One of the unusual methods of raising money was to have a chicken and egg shower. Those in charge would announce the date and then go from farm to farm collecting the donations which were sold to swell the treasury.

The old “Aid” ceased to exist in 1940 and the W.S.C.S. (Women’s Society of Christian Service) replaced it. On June 1st of 1960 the Devoe W.S.C.S. became a “circle” of the Cresbard’s Women’s Society when the two churches merged. At that time the Devoe women continued to raise money by serving public dinners two or three times each winter. They gave showers for brides, shared in upkeep of the property, and contributed their share toward the church’s budget and care of the parsonage.

So, now under the name of United Methodist Women the Christian service goes on and on with a generous amount of friendship and fellowship thrown in for god measure.

The original Aid had 1897 had 21 members. The roll-call listed 58 names during 1912 through 1919. By 1930 there were 34 members. Two of the names appearing on the 1912 to 1919 list were Mrs. James Miller and Catherine Hanson (now Hermann).

[Note: this organization history was written around 1960 – Harold Way]


Pastors of the DeVoe Methodist Church

Contributed by Harold Way (hway(at)everestkc.net)

Source:
“The United Methodist Church; Cresbard, South Dakota; Ninetieth Anniversary of the Establishment of the Devoe Methodist Church; November 4, 1973”
“Pastors of the DeVoe Methodist Church”
P. E. Knox 1883-1885
Thomas Simmons 1885-1887
S. S. Smith 1887-1888
E. D. Bullock 1888-1889
T. D. Collins 1889-1890
J. E. Herrinton 1890-1891
E. T. Maring 1891-1892
J. B. Williams 1892-1895
R. L. DeGolier 1895-1898
E. E. Dean 1898-1900
P. H. Weston 1900-1902
Frank L. Bromaghim 1902-1915
(He served Cresbard 1907-1910)
George H. Book 1915-1919
C. A. Ask 1919-1920
J. E. Wilkinson 1920-1923
(Beginning with Rev. Wilkinson the pastors lived in Cresbard)
C. C. Boslaugh 1923-1925
George B. Haskell 1925-1926
John Whalley 1926-1927
N. A. Luke 1927-1928
Arthur L. Rinearson 1928-1935
Leroy W. Darling 1935-1938
P. Irving Ellis 1938-1939
Ernest E. Vernon 1939-1942
Henry H. Hottman 1942-1946
(Supply pastor from Huron, S.D.)
Fernando Laxamana 1946-1948
Glen Phipps 1948-1949
John Hollister 1949-1957
Charles Finney 1957-1960
(During Rev. Finney’s pastorate the DeVoe Church became part of the Cresbard Church.)
(On March 13, 1960 the Quarterly Conference asked the Conference to consider the uniting of the DeVoe and Cresbard Churches.)


“A Short History of the Devoe Methodist Church”

Contributed by Harold Way (hway(at)everestkc.net)

Source:
“The United Methodist Church; Cresbard, South Dakota; Ninetieth Anniversary of the Establishment of the Devoe Methodist Church; November 4, 1973”

The town site of Devoe, named for an early settler was established in the early 1880’s in Faulk County township 119, range 67, along the road between sections 26 & 27. The first Sunday School was organized there in the winter of 1882-83 by four young men who were squatting on claims I the neighborhood. They were Robert Young, Mr. Foote, Mr. Jessup & Chauncy Cooper. Rev. P. E. Knox & family came to Dakota in April of 1883 & he organized the church that summer. There had been a saloon in Devoe, but the proprietor grew weary of looking for customers who never came & he moved away leaving an empty building in which church services were held for awhile. During the summer of ’83 the hotel, The Abbot House, was built & then both church and Sunday School were held there.

In the fall of 1885 the church building was started. On election day Mary Young & Elizabeth Knox took subscriptions at the hotel where the election was being held & almost all of the money was raised to build the church. The first time that the church was occupied was on Christmas Eve of the year. A temperance play entitled, “Three Glasses A Day” was given by local people. Following the play a dinner was held at the hotel. After that date all services were in the church, fully paid for, it was dedicated in August 1886.

J. B. Williams, one of the early ministers. He made his home with the Alex Miller family & he built the first pulpit for the church from wood of a couple of old organs.

Fourteen years after the first religious organization at Devoe & after most of the business places had been abandoned, it was decided to build a parsonage so that a minister & his family could reside there. Rev. DeGolier was appointed to this charge in 1896 & he did much of masonry & carpenter work of erecting a parsonage as well as serving the church at Devoe & preaching at the out-points of Roanoke, Grabinski, & Etondale where church services were held in school house. His salary was $400 a year or its cash value.

Rev. Bromaghim preached at Devoe for the greatest number of years, 1902-15, during which time he & his family lived in the parsonage. He held services at several out-posts & established a church in the new town of Cresbard, preaching there & Devoe. Rev. J. E. Wilkinson was the first minister to live in Cresbard & serve Devoe. The parsonage was used as a Community Hall.

Rev. C. C. Boslaugh was minister from 1923-25 when the board voted to sell the parsonage. It was purchased by the Augustines & moved to their farm. The church building was raised & turned around. A basement was constructed for use by the Sunday School.

In 1933 the 50th anniversary of the church was observed & about 200 people attended. In an evening program the play, “Glimpses of 50 years Ago,” was presented by the Ladies Aid with Mina Brown directing. Rev. Bromaghim returned & gave the sermon. Rev. Rinearson was the minister.

In February 1946 the congregation purchased the Myron church building & moved it onto a new foundation near the old church. In 1947 the old church was torn down, the good lumber salvaged & use toward an Annex. Rev. Laxamana held the last service in the old church and the first one in the new church. People of the community were generous with their time & money & the new place of worship was dedicated on June 25, 1950. Dr. B. A. Davis, Dist. Supt. gave the morning sermon. Rev. Hollister was the minister.

The population in Devoe had dwindled by the late 1950’s & it was decided to merge with the Cresbard Methodist Church beginning June 1960. The 75th anniversary was held at the Devoe church May 22, 1960. Rev. Finney was the minister & Dr. Hottman, Dist. Supt. & former pastor gave the sermon. About 135 people attended.

The name Devoe can still be found on Faulk County maps as that is the name of the township from which this story evolves. In mute memory of the past the church & cemetery also retain the name Devoe. For 90 years the church stood as a symbol of spiritual guidance & religious instruction in the community. In 1973 the building is still maintained & used occasionally for social gatherings.

ORGANIZATIONS THROUGH THE YEARS AT DEVOE

The WCTU was organized early in the life of Devoe church, although the first records are dated June 1886, apparently they held meetings prior to this date. The Epworth League held weekly meetings, on Sundays when there was a preaching service they met in the evening & on alternate weeks they met following Sunday School in the morning. There were no young people in the early population, only the men & women who were the early settlers & their small children, so with the few exceptions as in the case of the young school teachers, these couples formed the membership of the early Epworth League.

In later years the MYF was organized for the young people in the church, regular meetings were held in the homes.

The Ladies Aid started when this was still Dakota Territory & a woman’s organization was very active at the time the church closed, then it was known as W. S. C. S. The Devoe ladies continued to work together as the Rebecca Circle of the Cresbard Church in their traditional function of supporting the work of the church with fellowship, worship & study.

A Sunday School was the first branch of the church to be organized & it continued to serve as an educational & inspirational undergirding for the maintenance of the church. In the first church building each age groups was assigned to a portion of the one-room structure where they met with their teacher. When the basement was built some of the classes were held in curtained off spaces down there. Later the annex served for extra classes.

The final organization of the Devoe church was The Methodist Men which developed the plan of God’s Acres, to supplement the budget by planting and harvesting a crop. Although this meant extra work for the farmers they enjoyed the fellowship of working together. They also held regular meetings through the years that they were organized. Rev. Hottman was serving as a supply pastor at the time The Methodist Men Club was established.

Let us not forget that the Devoe Church under the leadership of Rev. Bromaghim was the mother church of the Cresbard Church.

 

 

HOME

©Genealogy Trails