(photo courtesy of David Stengel)
Named for U. S. Grant, was part of Deuel from 1862 until created in 1873, then extending North to Sisseton Reservation line near Brown's Valley and down that line to intersect its south boundary extended near Lake Kampeska. It lost its SW corner to Codington in 1879 and its northern part to Roberts in 1883. The first settlers were Moses Mireau and Solomon Robar, near present Big Stone, in 1865. They were joined by Louis Shoreau and Oliver Martell in 1871 and in 1874 Levi Card at Yellowbank and John Blake and Ludwig Relschka settled in Whetstone Valley and James G. Lamoreau near present Marvin in 1877. In 1873, Mireau, Shoreau & Martell were appointed commissioners but failed to act and Feb. 8, 1878 Judge Shannon made William R. Movious, who had been postmaster at Inkpa City (Big Stone) since June 30, 1875, County Clerk. Governor Howard appointed Card, Lamoreau and Robar commissioners and they organized county at Inkpa City June 17, 1878. In election 1881, Milbank was 13 votes shy of two-thirds but soon got part of records by force and failed to get balance by stealth and it was Feb. 21, 1883 before the Court made Milbank county seat. Granville, Geo. W. Bartlett, Postmaster, December 4, 1879, became Milbank, August 19, 1880, when railroad reached there. Other towns are Twin Brooks 1879, Troy 1880, Marvin, Revillo, Stockholm, 1884; Strandburg 1888, Albee 1889, La Bolt 1899. Some splendid vistas are to be seen from high western Coteaus.
from "History of Southeastern Dakota, Its Settlement and
(Contributed by Karen Seeman)
The county of Grant, north of Deuel, was organized January 5, 1878, Solomon Roberts, James G. Lamdreaux and Levi C. Card being its first Commissioners. Lockwood, Osceola, Parnell, Kilborn, Milbank, Twin Brooks, Granville, Yellow Bank. Grant Center, Brown Earth and Troy are its principal settlements.