Gregory County, South Dakota County History History of South Dakota, Volume 1 GREGORY COUNTY, SD
by Doane Robinson
B. F. Bowen & Co., Publishers
transcribed by Vicki Hartman
Gregory county was created by the first legislature of 1862 and was named for J. Shaw Gregory, a member of that body, who resided at Fort Randall and was a trader in the employ of Captain Todd. Its present boundaries were defined by the legislature of 1897 and it was organized in 1893. A trading station was located at Handy's Point at a verv early date. Bonesteel and Fairfax are the chief towns. It is a good agricultural and stock country. The Northwestern Railway built into the section in 1902. Its area is 1,004 square miles and its population at the last census was 2,211.
Gregory County, South Dakota
History of South Dakota, Volume 1
GREGORY COUNTY, SD