Aberdeen American (13 June 1918) transcribed by FoFG MZ
Gregory - Miss Johanna Flynn and George Dion, of Burke, were married at the catholic church by Rev. F. J. Guessen. They will make their home at Burke.
Unknown newspaper Jan. 1952
contributed by Jeanne Jessie
EARLY PIONEER COUPLE OF GREGORY COUNTY NOTES 50TH WEDDING DATE
Gregory - Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Alloway, pioneer settlers
of Gergory countym, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary at
their home in Gergory, Jan. 15.
Ern Alloway and Emma Gingery came to Gregory county with their parents in 1894, soon after the Fort Randall Military reserve was opened for settlement, even before the survey was made. Both families came from Charles Mix county.
The young couple were married at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. J. Gingery by Rev. Mills, Jan. 15, 1902. They resided near Bonesteel until the opening of the western part of Gregory county, August, 1904.
After the lucky ones at the Rosebud land lottery had been given a chance to file on a homestead, and after the vacancy land was opened to squatters and general filing, Mr. Alloway took possession of a quarter section of land northeast of Gregory. Early in January, 1905, he moved a small house from Bonesteel onto his claim.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Alloway took an active interest in the development of the community in which they lived, and for 27 years Mr. Alloway was a member of the school board in his district.
While they still farm their land, a few years ago they purchased a home in Gregory. They spend their winters in town, and in the summer spend most of their time on the farm.
They are the parents of three children, Mrs. Percy Haggard of Santa Rose, Calif.; Orville of Compton, Calif. and Raymond of Ord. Neb.
A neighborhood coffee club served the anniversary dinner and open house was held in the afternoon, and again in the evening. Neighbor ladies assisted in serving refreshments.
Icy roads prevented many of their old time friends and neighbors from attending the anniversary party, but five of their old time neighbors from Bonesteel were able to make the trip, Mrs. Jennie King, Mrs. Myrtle Bush, Mrs. Minnie Whit and Mr. and Mrs. Mulford. Mrs. King and Mrs. Bush were present at the Alloway wedding 50 years ago.
The Daily Republic, Mitchell, South Dakota
Contributed by Jeanne Jessie
GREGORY COUNTY HOMESTEADERS OBSERVE GOLDEN WEDDING DATE
Mr. and Mrs. George Krieger, early homesteaders in
Gregory county, quietly celebrated their golden wedding anniversary
at their home in Gregory on Sunday, Dec. 30.
A dinner was served for the immediate family. Those present were Mr. and Mrs. Adam Krieger and family of Burke; Mr. and Mrs. Joe Krieger and family of Burton, Neb.; Mr. and Mrs. John Wolf and family, Mr. and Mrs. LaVern Swanson and Donald, of Hastings, Neb.; Mr. and Mrs. Herman Krieger and family of Monroe; Mr. and Mrs. Harry Krieger and Jacqueline, Mr. and Mrs. Lyle Krieger and family of Gregory.
A short program was given in the afternoon. Mrs. Glenn Weslander played accordian selections; Rev. Weslander gave a scripture reading and a short talk and the family reviewed the 45 years spent on the homestead.
Elizabeth Spady and George Krieger were married in Hastings, Neb., on Dec. 29, 1901. At that time Mr. Krieger was a boiler maker at the round house in Scottsbluff, Neb. They continued to live in Scotsbluff until the opening of the Rosebud territory in 1904 and they made the trip from Scottsbluff to their homestead, located 10 miles south and a half mile west of Gregory.
They soon turned their 160 acres of raw prairie into a productive well improved farm. Mr. and Mrs. Krieger are among the few original homesteaders who still own theri homestead.
For their past five years they have made their home in Gregory.