History History of South Dakota, Volume 1 HAMLIN COUNTY, SD HOME
by Doane Robinson
B. F. Bowen & Co., Publishers
Transcribed by Vicki Hartman
Hamlin countY, named for Hannibal Hamlin, created by law in 1873 and organized August 12, 1878, was first settled by Jacob Hanson at lake Poinsett. The county was explored by Gen. John C. Fremont in 1838, who surveyed Lake Poinsett and named it for the then secretary of war. It is a fine agricultural county. The county seat was first located at Spaulding's ranch, near Estelline, but later was removed to Castlewood.
The Northwestern Railway was built up the Sioux valley through Hamlin county in 1882-3, the Milwaukee through the western portion in 1887 and the Great Northern across the north-western corner in 1888. The chief towns are Castlewood and Estelline, on the Northwestern, Bryant, on the Milwaukee, and Hazel, on the Great Northern. Area. 543 square miles. Population, 1900, 5,945.
Hamlin County History
History of South Dakota, Volume 1
HAMLIN COUNTY, SD