1885, compiled by O. H. Holt. Transcribed by Karen Seeman)
Hyde county lies toward the
southern part of Dakota, and contains an area of 864 square
miles, or 552.960 acres. The Winnebago Indian Reservation covers
the six southern Jownships, and the Missouri river forms the
southwestern boundary for about five miles. The central portion
of tbe county is drained by branches of the Medicine creek, and
the southern mostly by branches of Crow creek.
The surface is generally a
rolling prairie, rising in the northeast into the so-called
"Bald Mountains" which are simply an elevated platean forming
the dividing ridge between the streams which flow respectively
into the James and Missouri rivers.
The Dakota Central branch of the
Chicago & North-Western Railway extends through the county, from
east to west, near the centre.
The county compares favorably
with any other in central Southern Dakota in soil and
Highmore, the principal town, is
about two years of age, and is located on the railroad. It has a
population of 500. Hughitt and Bramhall are rapidly growing