South Dakota

Kingsbury County South Dakota

Newspaper Items


Newspapers Printed in Kingsbury County, 1885

(from "Dakota", Compiled by O. H. Holt, 1885)

Kingsbury County News, Rep. ..De Smet
Times, Rep.................Lake Preston



The Evening Huronite, Huron, South Dakota
Thursday, April 14, 1932


Delmar A. Matthews, service station operator at Arlington, has been spared spending eight months in the state penitentiary for threatening Sheriff W. F. Swartz of Kingsbury county.

A motion to change the charge against him from assault with intent to kill to simple assault has been granted by Circuit Judge Alva E. Taylor. The motion, not resisted by State's Attorney William H. Warren of De Smet, was urged in a petition signed by citizens of Arlington.

Judge Taylor today sentenced Matthews to serve 60 days in the county jail at De Smet and fined him $109 and costs.

The jail term was suspended, however, and Matthews was placed on probation for a period ending December 5, 1932. He will have to report weekly to a representative of the court, abstain from the use of liquor during that time, go to church every Sunday and behave as an upright citizen.

A showing was made that Matthews, a young man in his twenties, had no intention of injuring the sheriff. The eight months penitentiary sentence was eithdrawn when Matthews pleaded guilty to the simple assault charge.

The Sioux Valley (South Dakota) News
Canton, South Dakota
Thursday April 15, 1926
Transcribed and contributed by Pamela J. Hamilton
September 19, 2010

Headline 1st Page:


Was on Way to Worthing After Daughter-Reckless Motorists Fail to Stop

On Saturday evening a fatality caused from reckless driving filled our community with horror, when it was learned that Mr. Joe Rude, one of Canton's businessmen, had been struck down while changing attire two miles west of this city. His assailant is unknown, further than that he as so much of a brute that he failed to stop to inquire as to the extent of the injuries which he had inflicted.

Mr. Rude, after closing up his business Saturday evening, was busy about town until about 11:45, after which he went to his home to inquire as to whether or not he should go to Worthing after his daughter, Opal, who was attending the dance there. It was 11:55 when he left the house, and when two miles west of town he got out of the car to see if he had any flat tires. The left front tire was flat, so Joe jacked up the car, and was flat, so he jacked up the car, and was just about ready to lift off the tire when a car coming from the west, presumably from the dance at Worthing, struck him with such force as to throw him against the back fender of his car, the impact tearing away the fender from the body of the car, breaking and smashing his left ribs, and injuring him internally, beside badly bruising him about the face and body.

The driver of the car failed to stop, but sped on, probably in the hope of clearing himself of a charge of wanton murder, in the public opinion. It was only a short time until several cars had stopped and Mr. Rude was placed into one and brought into town. It was immediately discovered that his injuries were most serious, and an ambulance was called from Sioux Falls to take him to McKennan Hospital. Dr. Turner bund up his side as best he could, and between 5 and 5:30 they reached the hospital. Nothing could be done, only to keep him as quiet as possible until the end came Monday afternoon at 2:30. He was conscious from the time he was picked up until an hour before he died, and he told folks who the accident occurred and where. When told that he had been fatally injured, he stated that he was all right and would be about as ever in a short time.

Joe Rude was born at Volga, S.D. March 22, 1886 and died at Sioux Falls, McKennan Hospital on Monday April 12, 1926 at the age of 40 years and 21 days. He was married to Sarah Austin in Hetland on June 11, 1908. To them were born four children, three of whom survive. They moved to Canton in 1916 Mr. Rude purchasing the pool hall formerly owned by Grover Clark and which he has since operated.

Besides his wife and three children Diona (Dione) (Mrs. Fr. Knowlton, Opal and Dale, he leaves his father, five brothers, EW (Edmund) of Long Beach;- Otis, Norman and Rudolph of Rhinelander Wis., and James of Castlewood, S. D. and one sister (Agnes Osbon) also of Castlewood, S.D. besides may other relatives and friends.

Funeral Services will be held Friday afternoon, short services at the A. R. Anderson Apartments in the Rude apartment house at 1:30, and from the Lutheran church at 2 o'clock Rev. Nervig officiating. Interment will be made in Forest Hill Cemetery.

The Evening Huronite
Saturday, October 18, 1930

Bancroft News

Shirley, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Morris Alderman, died at noon Monday and was buried at Bruce Tuesday. She was born September 20.
Thieves stripped the corn picker belonging to Joe Welsh Friday night, taking every tool.
Mrs. Dell Clement and son Clair arrived Wednesday from Highmore for a few days visit with relatives. They returned Monday.
T. J. Rosser is spending a few days at Shakopee, Minn., taking treatments for rheumatism.
A large number of neighbors met at the Goodyear home Friday and presented their infant daughter with a shower of gifts.
Hazel Falter, youngest daughter of William Falter, is recovering from an appendicitis illness.
Marjorie Jencks, Lois Hoover, Sarabeth Proper, Donald Frye and Percy Peterson were home over the week-end from Brookings. Ruth Mullenburg, Lois and Ardeth VanTassel and Susie Huffman were home from Madison.
Sixteen little girls surprised Leona Tribbetts Saturday afternoon. The ocasion was her tenth birthday.
Mrs. Charles Houghton and baby son came home Monday from a Watertown hospital.
Mr. and Mrs. William Rusche returned Thursday from a three weeks stay in Minneapolis. Mrs. Rusche had been taking treatments and returned much improved in health.
William Falter returned Saturday from the Lutheran conference at Aberdeen.

12 Sep 1911
Aberdeen (SD) Daily News
Submitted by Karen Seeman

Andy Mears of Bancroft has evolved from his farming experience a sub-soil plow which will be drawn by a traction engine and plow to a depth of twenty-seven inches. He intends to plow his entire 600 acre farm in this manner.

The Daily Huronite, Huron SD
April 1, 1887, page 1
contributed by Suzanne Folk

Woman Murderer at DeSmet

De Smet, March 31. -- Special to The Sioux City Journal: The jury brought in a verdict of manslaughter in the second degree against Mrs. Elizabeth Bonchie and Clarence Bonchie. The counsel for defendants moved for a new trial. The motion will be heard this evening.
The circumstances of the case are that in the summer of 1884 a quarrel occurred between Mrs. Bonchie and son Clarence and her stepson Isaac. The result was that Clarence threw a bone which struck Isaac in the face, producing lockjaw, from which he died.