LINCOLNS COUNTY S.D.
Compiled by O. H. Holt
Lincoln county is situated in the southeastern part of the Territory. Its eastern boundary is the Big Sioux river, and its northern the parallel 43 deg. 30 min. north latitude. In extent it is twenty-eight and one-third miles, north and south, and has an average width of about nineteen miles, and contains not far from 350,000 acres. The surface is undulating prairie land, and is generally well drained. The Big Sioux river, with its tributaries, furnishes excellent drainage for the eastern and southern parts of the county, while the numerous branches of the Vermillion river drain the western portions.
The climate is healthful and the air dry. The soil is a deep, sandy loam, with a compact clay subsoil—not hard-pan. It is well adapted to corn, oats, rye, barley and flax. Wheat is not a sure crop, it being on the line between the winter and spring wheat region, although abundant crops of both winter and spring wheat have been grown. The other mentioned cereals and vegetables yield abundantly. Grass is an immense crop, and consequently hay is abundant. Stock raising is a leading industry, and has
thus far proven very profitable.
The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, with its two lines—the one running north and south the whole length of the county, the other extending east and west through the county—and the Chicago & North-Western Railway, which also has several miles of road within its limits, furnish excellent facilities for commerce.
The Sioux river furnishes good water power, and turns the wheels of four flouring mills between the borders of the county. A steam mill is also in operation at Canton. Good clay for brick-making is found, and this branch of business is receiving considerable attention. Chalk rock, used for building purposes, is found in large quantities along the river. Timber is found along the banks of the streams.
This county has been settled for over twenty years, and the roads and bridges are in good condition. Practically, the county is out of debt, its outstanding liabilities being less than $5,000 (five thousand dollars), with sufficient resources to liquidate that. Wild land can be bought at from $5 to $12 per acre, and improved farms at from $18 to $30 per acre, according to location and improvements. School advantages can be had in any part of the county, all portions being organized for school purposes. Good graded schools are found in the towns.
Besides the common schools, a college has been established at Canton, and is at present in operation. This Institution has a sufficient endowment behind it to insure its perpetuity. All religions denominations are fonnd, and nearly all have churches, there being in all thirteen church edifices in the county.
Number of schools, 77; teachers, 137; value of school property, $46,254.88; amount paid for school purposes in 1883, $30,211.45.
Canton, the county seat, is one of the most beautiful cities in the Territory. Population, 9,000. Has just completed a $15,000 school building. Has fine church edifices. Villages In the county are: Lennox, population, 500; Eden, population, 600; Worthing, population, 300; and Fairview, population, 150.
Compiled by O. H. Holt
News, Rep........................ Canton
HISTORY OF Southeastern Dakota, Its Settlement and Growth,
Sioux City Iowa: Western Publishing Company, 1881
From a carefully prepared article printed in the Sioux Valley News, of Canton, in the issue of that paper bearing date of July 19, 1881, many of the following facts are taken. The statements of
the article referred to have been verified by the personal inspection of the editor of this work, who herewith presents in addition, other matters of importance and interest concerning Lincoln
County and the settlements which it contains:
About the year 1861, a band of hardy pioneers and trappers, the vanguard of civilization, crossed the Sioux River and plunged boldly into what was then considered a vast wilderness, devoid of
all that helps to make life attractive. Instead of a desert, however, they found a country teeming with the most luxuriant vegetation their eyes had ever beheld, watered by innumerable clear, sparkling brooks, cool springs and dashing rivers. They found a climate unsurpassed, a soil of superior richness and a country of surpassing beauty. The attractiveness of this entire region soon
brought other settlers, and on April 5th, 1862, this county was set off and its boundaries fixed by the Legislature. Prior to 1866, however, the county was mostly given up to trappers, hunters and
wandering tribes of Indians, the latter being largely in the majority.
The first settlement was made where the flourishing city of Canton now stands, by L. P. Hyde and his son Henry. They broke a few acres of ground, but soon after returned to the East. In the
fall of the same year, A. J. Linderman came into the county and pre-empted and settled upon a valuable tract of timber land near his present location, and has since made his home here, being at the present time a resident of Canton. On the 18th of May, 1867, Benjamin Hill, William Hill and James Sorter and their families moved into the county and settled on Beaver Creek a short distance above its mouth. In the summer and fall of the same year a number of families came from the East and settled near the site now occupied by the city of Canton. Others of these early settlers were: J. T. Fitzgerald, William Craig, W. S. Smith, Thomas Sargent, Daniel McLaren and Josiah Weakley, who came in the autumn of 1867; W. M. Cuppett, John W. Hewitt, Geo. T. Ray, John H. Holsey, S. C. Lashley, A. B. Wheelock and others, who came the following spring.
During the winter of 1867-8, the settlers were greatly disturbed by the Indians, who threatened on several occasions to massacre the entire community. Fortunately, however, these threats were
never executed, and the early settlement of Lincoln County was effected without bloodshed.
A petition for the organization of the county was presented to the Legislature in 1867, and the county duly organized by an act of that body, approved December 30th, 1867, and the name of
Lincoln given the new organization in honor of our martyred President, Abraham Lincoln. The boundaries were not satisfactorily established until 1870, when a bill was introduced fixing the
lines as follows: "Beginning at the southeast corner of Turner County; thence north along the east line of said Turner County, to the north line of township 100; thence east along said township line to the center of the main channel of the Big Sioux River; thence southerly along said main channel to the northeast corner of Union County; thence west along the line of Union and Clay Counties to the place of beginning." By the establishment of these boundaries, it fixes the length of Lincoln County at thirty miles, its breadth at twenty-two miles, and its area at 660 square miles. The County Seat was located by the act of 1867, "upon the southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 14, township 98 north, of range 49, west of the fifth principal meridian," and by the unanimous votes of the settlers, the name of Canton was given to the new County Seat. By the same act of the Legislature, the first county officers were appointed.
At the time of the incorporation, there were but sixteen voters in the county. In the spring of 1868, twenty-five Norwegian families moved from Iowa and settled a short distance from the
new town of Canton. About the same time, a number of families from the East settled in the present township of Eden, and these were soon followed by others, who settled in what is now known as Fairview Township. On July 1st of this year, the first postoffice in the county, was established in Canton, and shortly after, another one was opened at Eden, as it is now called. The first school house was built at Canton in 1870.
The first officers of the county were: Commissioners—A. J. Linderman, H. P. Hyde, Benjamin Hill. Sheriff—C. H. Swift. Judge of Probate—J. Q. Fitzgerald. Register of Deeds—William Hill. Justices of the Peace—William Hyde, W. S. Smith. Coroner—Josiah Weakley.
The first general election was held in 1868, and resulted in the selection of the following officers: Commissioners—T. M. Sargent, C. H. Sogn, W. S. Peters. Sheriff—C. H. Swift. Treasurer—S. C. Lashley. Register of Deeds—W. M. Cuppett. Judge of Probate—J.Q.Fitzgerald. Assessor—John Hewitt. Very few of the officers qualified, and others were appointed to fill the vacancies. Early in 1871, immigration began to pour into the county, and
from that time forward, its growth has been rapid and prosperous. A number of postoffices were now established, and several villages laid out; farm buildings commenced to dot the prairies in every direction, numerous artificial groves were planted, and an era of rapid and substantial improvement was fairly inaugurated. In August, 1872, The Sioux Valley News, the first paper published in Lincoln County, was issued.
The development of Lincoln County's resources was necessarily slow, until the Sioux City & Pembina Railroad reached the southern boundary line, in the fall of 1879. No sooner was this road completed, than a perfect flood of immigration commenced. In July, 1879, the main line of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Road crossed the Big Sioux and entered Lincoln County. This gave immigration a new impetus, and Lincoln County has enjoyed a continuous boom ever since. All of its sixteen townships are now settled, and within its boundaries are some of the most important towns in Southeastern Dakota.
Lincoln County ranks among the best agricultural counties in all this fertile Territory. The face of the county is diversified by level prairie and rolling lands, "the numerous clear running streams
with which it abounds forming numerous valleys, the soil of which is the richest to be found in all this section of country, being especially adapted to the cultivation of cereals." The county is
bounded by the Big Sioux on the east, and the Vermillion on the west, while the Missouri is but twenty-five miles south of its southern boundary. Besides these rivers, the county abounds in clear running brooks and bubbling springs which afford an abundance of clear, pure water. The soil is rich and moist, though not wet, and is particularly adapted to agriculture, the yield of all descriptions of grain being large, though flax, rye, oats, barley and corn, are proving a more profitable crop than wheat. For stock raising the county is unsurpassed.
The land in the eastern townships, bordering on the Sioux River, is more rolling than that of the western townships, but none less adapted to agriculture or stock raising, and the scenery in many
places, particularly along the river banks, is beautiful in the extreme. In the central and western townships the land is less rolling but equally rich and productive. Owing to the care bestowed upon tree culture, the county abounds in large and beautiful groves, which are as useful as they are attractive, while the banks of the rivers are lined with a heavy growth of excellent timber.
Lincoln County is largely settled by Eastern people. Churches and school houses are profusely scattered throughout the county, and the standard of education and morality is as high as it is in
Wisconsin, Ohio, New York, or any other State. In a word, "Dakota society is Eastern society transplanted."
Lincoln County has two of the best railroads in the West, the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, and the Sioux City & Dakota, by either of which it has direct communication with the leading markets of the East, and by which it has a superior outlet for its surplus products. The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul|Road, which crosses the county from east to west, is a direct line to Chicago and Milwaukee. The Sioux City & Dakota, running from Sioux City to Sioux Falls, enters the county at Eden, and crosses Canton, Dayton, Springdale, and the northeast corner of La Valley Townships. Over this road, the traveler or shipper has the advantage of several routes after reaching Sioux City. Thus, it will be seen, the citizens of Lincoln County are in no danger from oppressive freight or passenger tariffs. The distance to Chicago by either route is about 500 miles.
The following are the present County Officers of Lincoln County: Commissioners—O. T. Brandhagen, Nathan Noble, P. C. Parker. Register of Deeds—Elling Opsal. Treasurer—A. C. Deeds. Sheriff —A. P. Dixon. Clerk of Courts—W. M. Cuppett. Superintendent of Schools—John Allibone. Surveyor — Oscar E. Rea. Judge of Probate—R. Z. Bennett. Coronet—H. Southard. The names of the various townships in the county are as follows: Delapre, Springdale, Perry, LaValley, Dayton, Grant, Lynn, Canton, Delaware, Lincoln. Highland, Fairview. Pleasant, Brooklyn, Norway, Eden. There are numerous small villages in the county, all of which are iu a prosperous condition, and some of them bid fair to become important towns. In this connection, the following miscellaneous items will prove of interest:
On the first day of January, 1868, every white inhabitant of Lincoln County, save three, assembled at the house of J. Q. Fitzgerald and partook of a New Year's dinner. There were thirty
The first death to occur in the county was that of an infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Sorter.
The first hotel in the county was "kept" by Benjamin Hill. It was a log house, and was located a few rods south of where the south line of Hill's Addition to Canton now runs.
In the latter part of the summer of 1868, this portion of the country was devastated by grasshoppers.
The first postoffice was established July 1st, 1868, with Benjamin Hill as Postmaster.
In the fall of 1868, Thomas Sargent and W. S. Smith procured a shingle machine, and made the first shingles ever made in Lincoln County.
The first wedding to occur in Lincoln County, took place on the 13th of October, 1868, John Hanson and Siren Louise Bille, being the contracting parties. The lady had but just arrived from Norway.
The first school house in the county was built in Canton in 1870. The first church— Congregational—was built in 1872. District Court was established at Canton, by act of the Legislature, in 1870. The first term of court was held in October, 1871, Judge J. P. Kidder presiding. Court was held in the school house, which building is now occupied by G. A. Nelson, as a boot and shoe store, at Canton.
HISTORY OF Southeastern Dakota, Its Settlement and Growth,
Sioux City Iowa: Western Publishing Company, 1881
Much of the history of the County Seat of Lincoln County, and one of the most important towns in Southeastern Dakota, necessarily appears in the preceding detailed county history. Canton is beautifully situated on the west bank of the Sioux River, in the eastern part of the county. It is surrounded by rich rolling prairie land, thickly dotted over by large and well tilled farms and beautiful natural and artificial groves.
Standing on an elevation, facing the south, directly in front of the visitor, and about an eighth of a mile distant, flows the beautiful river, fringed on either bank with a narrow strip of second growth timber, while further off, and a trifle to the left, the small village of Beloit, Iowa, nestles at the foot of huge bluffs. Off in the distance to the right and in front, a range of bluffs meets the eye.
Turning from the beautiful picture which nature spreads before him, to an inspection of the town itself, the observer sees a well built and thrifty community, with large and attractive business establishments, comfortable residences, activity on all sides, and everything that goes to make up a prosperous and growing town of more than 1,000 inhabitants. Again turning from the business
portion of the town—which it is not the province of a purely historical work to describe in that detailed manner which smacks of the advertisement—the writer takes up the pleasant task of describing the
CHURCHES, SCHOOLS AND SOCIETIES.
The Congregational Society was organized October 16th, 1870, by Rev. J. Ward, of Yankton. Meetings were at first held in a sod house that stood on the Court House Square; afterwards in the old school House; and continued to be held in school houses until the erection of the church building in 1872. The cost of the building was about $1,000. A parsonage has been recently erected at a cost of $800. The membership is forty-six. J. W. Martin and John Crain were the first Deacons of the Society. Rev. Lucius Kingsbury is the present pastor. The present officers of the Society are: Trustees—N. C. Nash, I. N. Martin, J. Q. Fitzgerald. Deacons—Hiram Benedict, I. N. Martin. Clerk—John Zellar. Sabbath School Superintendent—Hiram Benedict. The attendance at Sunday School is about fifty pupils. This Society was for some time the only Congregational Society in the Sioux Valley. The pastors in order have been: Rev. J. A. Palmer, Rev. M. V. B. Morrison, Rev. D. Thomas, Rev. L. Kingsbury.
The Episcopal Society was organized jn 1876, under the administration of the Rev. W. W. Fowler, and is in a flourishing condition. Their church building is now nearing completion, and will cost $1,500. Rev. J. M. McBride, of Eden, has been the clergyman in charge for the past two years. Rev. W. W. Fowler, the first pastor, was succeeded by the Rev. Mr. Huntington, after whom came Mr. McBride. There are twenty-seven communicants. The officers of the Society are: O. S. Gifford, Warden; John O. Taylor, M. D.,J. W. Taylor.
The Presbyterian Society was organized about the year, 1870,
continued in existence about one year, and then, by vote, resolved
to unite with the Congregationalists.
The " Evangelien Lutran " Society of Canton was organized by Rev. Mr. Christionson in 1868. and met first at the houses of different members. They afterwards held services in the Court House, where their meetings continue to be held. The Society contemplates building a suitable edifice immediately—to be 34 by 50 feet in dimensions, and to cost in the neighborhood of $1,500. Rev E. Olson, the present pastor, succeeded Rev. Mr. Christionson. There are from one hundred and fifty to two hundred members of the society, Canton and Land's Church constituting the circuit. The officers are: Trustees—Englebred Torkelson, Amon Peterson. Secretary—Mathias Hanson. Treasurer—M. L. Syverud.
The Methodist Episcopal Society was organized in 1869, by Elder Mitchell. Services were first held in W. D. Parke's building, afterwards in the building used as a school house in Canton. In 1877, they began to hold meetings in the Congregational Church, which they continued to do every alternate Sabbath for a year. In the spring of 1880, the Society erected a church building at a cost of $1,000. The pastors in order were: Revs. Almon Gore, Thomas Cuthbert, Ira Wakefield, A. J. Benjamin, O. Bryan, ----- Newell, B. Webster. Rev. Mr. Grace is the present pastor. There are about sixteen members. The first officers were: Trustees—W. D. Parke, J. Q. Fitzgerald, I. N. Martin. Stewart—Ed. Carpenter. Present officers: Trustees—Mathew Keller, E. Wendt, H. H. DeLong, Frank Dunham, George Tillotson, Mrs. M. E. Wells. The church was dedicated in the autumn of 1880, Rev. Wilmot Whitfield preaching the dedicatory sermon.
The Norwegian Lutheran Bethlehem Society of Lincoln County includes one church in Norway Township and one in Canton. They have no church building in Canton, but have selected a site on which they propose building, the present autumn (1881), they have a church building in Norway Township, which was erected in 1879, at a cost of about $800. The Society was organized in 1872 by the Norwegian people of the county. The first pastor was Rev. O. E. Hofstad, the present incumbent. There are about six hundred members, and the Society is in a prosperous condition. The contemplated building in Canton will be 30 by 60 feet in dimensions, and will cost about $2,000. The officers of the Society are: Trustees—M. Monrad, Andrew Johnson, S. Wendblom, E. Shulson, M. Moe, J. Matthison. Treasurer—M. Monrad. Secretary—M. Aas.
Silver Star Lodge No. 4, A. F. & A. M. Under the Iowa dispensation, this Lodge was No. 845. It was organized June 3d, 1875. Charter members: W. H. Miller, Sr., M. W. Bailey, S. H. Stafford. Jr, and others. Their charter was renewed at the session of the Grand Lodge of Dakota in Yankton, in June, 1876. First officers: W. H. Miller, Sr., W. M.; M. W. Bailey, S. W.; S. H. Stafford, J. W.; W. M. Cuppett, Secr3tary; George Keller, Treasurer; D. H. Hawn. S. D.; G. M. Holmes, J. D.; J. W. Steele, S. S.; G. W. Naylor, J. S.; J. W. Hewitt, Tyler. Present officers:
O. S. Gifford, W. M.; D. H. Hawn, S. W.; Elling Opsal, J. W.; O. E. Rea, Secretary; C. Christopher, Treasurer; A. B. Wheelock, S. D.; G. A. Nelson. J. D.; Robert Lanning, Tyler. Meetings are held in the hall over Gale & Ward's bank. The membership is about fifty. The Lodge is a prosperous one.
Centennial Lodge No. 10, I. O. O. F., was instituted July 23d, 1876. Charter members: M. W. Bailey, W. M. Robinson, Robert Lanning, Gottlieb Gerber, J. C. Jewell. First officers: M. W. Bailey, N. G.; Robert Lanning, Treasurer. Present officers: G. W. Harlan. N. O. A. Rudolph, V. G.; N.C. Nash, Secretary; Joseph Horn, Treasurer. The membership is about thirty-five. Meetings are held in Dahl's Hall. The Lodge is in a prosperous condition, and expects to build a suitable hall very soon,.
Canton Lodge No. 2, I. O. G. T. —formerly Rescue Lodge No. 2 —was organized under the latter name August 25th, 1876. The change of name occurred in March of the present year, Charter members: N. C. Nash, W. S. Benedict, J. K. Fitzgerald, Rev. L. Kingsbury, Mrs. Kingsbury, Mrs. Fitzgerald, Ada Fitzgerald, J. B. Pattee, Miss Lillian Coloney, Miss Carrie Taylor, and others. There are about fifty members. Meetings are held in Dahl’s Hall. Present officers: C. E. Judd, W. C; Mrs. Lillian Coloney, V. C; Miss Opsal, Secretary; Mrs. J. W. Taylor, Treasurer; Mrs. Wells. F. S.; Rev. L. Kingsbury, Chaplain; Oscar Rea, P. W. C; Nina Nash, M.; H. Keeler, I. G.
Security Lodge No. 1, A. O. U. W., was instituted in November, 1880. Charter members: F. R. Aikens, J. W. Taylor, G. A. Byers, F. J. Martin, J. N. Menor, G. W. Martin, E. Wendt, F. Klopper, G. H. Wiggins, A. F. Tate, E. M. Miles, C. A. Bedford, N. C. Nash, G. W. Harlan, M. M. Clark. Membership about twenty-five. Present officers: J. W. Taylor, M. W.; G. W. Harlan, F. E. Wendt, Receiver; E. N.
Miles, Recorder; C. A. Bedford, Financier; G. W. Martin, G.; T. J. Myers, I. G.; G. Byers, O. G. Meetings are held in Dahl’s Hall.
The Canton Brass Band was organized in the spring of 1876, and continued until the autumn of 1880, when it disbanded.
THE NEWSPAPERS OF CANTON.
The Sioux Valley News was established in 1872, under the management of R. H. Miller, to whom Arthur Linn succeeded. January 1st, 1877, N. C. Nash bought a one-half interest, and shortly afterwards became sole proprietor. Mr. Nash has continued as editor and proprietor ever since. The paper is Republican in politics, is an eight-column folio, has a circulation of seven hundred copies, and is the official paper of the city and county.
The Canton Advocate was established in 1876, its first issue being dated April 26th. of that year. Skinner & Tallman were the proprietors, under which management it was conducted but a short time, there being several changes of proprietorship during the first year. June 10th, 1877, Carter Bros., purchased the Advocate of South & Martin, and it has continued under their management. It
is a seven-column paper, and is Republican in politics. Both papers are quite creditable publications.
Mayor—C. S. Gifford.
Aldermen—J. W. Hewitt, A. R. Brown, S. C. Madole, J. Horn, W. M. Cuppett.
Clerk—J. Falde, Jr.
Treasurer—T. J. Fosdick.
Marshal—G. W. Harlan.
Police Justice—E. H. Wilson.
Attorney— C. S. Gifford, Taylor & Russell, M. Randolph, Kennedy Bros., B. Wilson, Oscar Rea, J. C. Kline, J. W. Carter.
Architects and Builders—. J. B. Pattee, Hewitt and Alexander, ---- Thornton.
Banks—Gale & Ward, Lincoln County Bank, Brown Brothers Bank. Blacksmithing—J. Horn & Co., Ole Isacson.
Boots and Shoes—G. A. Nelson.
Clothing—T. J. Fosdick, A. F. Rudolph.
Druggists—T. W. Hood, Lewis & House, J. Keller.
Dry Goods—Madole & Hinkley.
Doctors—M. M. Clark, Dr. Southard, K. T. Brown, J. I. Taylor, Dr. Smith.
Furniture—H. Woere, L. Simmons.
Grain Dealers— Bassett & Huntting, H. C. Harsh & Co.
General Merchandise—E. Wendt, Linad Christenson, Charles Christopher, William Miller.
Hotels—Harlan House, Naylor House, Thompson House, Merchants House
Harness—J. W. Hewitt.
Hardware—T. P. Thompson & Co., O. P. Rudolph, ----- Mallory.
Insurance—Taylor & Russell, Thomas Thorsen & Co.
Jewelers—E. M. Miles & Co., M. L. Syverud.
Livery—Charles Slack, A. G. Brooman.
Millinery—Mrs. E. M. Wells, Mrs. L. Loken, Mrs. Haroldson.
News Depot—J. I. Taylor.
Newspapers—Sioux Valley News, N.C. Nash, Editor and Proprietor; Canton
Advocate, Carter Bros., Editors.
Saloons—W. S. Corson, A. J. Linderman, A. Hoffman.
Wagon Making—D. H. Hawn, A. M. Rosa, J. Kramer.
HISTORY OF Southeastern Dakota, Its Settlement and Growth,
Sioux City Iowa: Western Publishing Company, 1881
Among the earliest settlers of Lennox were: A. Boynton, who came in July, 1879; F. H. Treat, Dr. G. W. Moody, H. C. Conklin, J. V. Conklin, S. F. Hitchcock, J. M. Macomber, W. B. Wait, B. Gillmore, D. T. Debelts, N. Smith and brother, and others.
Lennox was platted by the C, M. & St. P. Railroad Co., in 1879. The village is situated in the township of Perry, whose first officers were: Supervisors—D. S Waldo, Chairman; William Bedford, A. Boynton. Clerk—E. C. Jacobs. Treasurer —F. H. Treat. Assessor—A. J. Flemming. Justices of the Peace—G. W. Palmer, David Little. Officers in 1880: Supervisors—J. V. Conklin, Chairman; O. P. Ashley, Martin Holter. Clerk—P. F. Haas. Treasurer —\V. B. Wait. Assessor—John Isackson. Justices of the Peace —G. W. Palmer, David Little.
Lennox was named for the Private Secretary of S. S. Merrill. The population, according to the census of 1880, was but 90, which has since been increased to at least 150, and continues to be increased by valuable accessions.
The first store was built by A. Boynton; the second by Mr. Conklin. F. H. Treat was the first Postmaster. The Dakota Loan Company have established the first bank.
There was a contest over the location of the townsite, which retarded the growth of the town somewhat. The land was held as a timber claim by Mr. J. Sheldon, who with Gen. John Lawler, of Prairie du Chein, became the town proprietors. . Dr. Moody made a contest by filing a pre-emption on the townsite. It was settled
amicably by dividing the townsite, e*ach sharing his proportion thereof. The town has been heretofore one of the best shipping points for grain on this line of the road in Dakota.
The first newspaper published at Lennox was the Dakota Democrat, which was established October 6th, 1880, under the supervision of W. H. Clark. On the 1st of December of that year, it was bought by P. F. Haas, who in April of the present year, named it the Lincoln County Independent October 28,1881, J. E. Hazlitt
purchased a half-interest with Mr. Haas. This firm intend also to print a German paper, which will be a seven-column folio, and the second German paper in the Territory.
The Lennox Weekly Star was established with George L. Conklin as editor, during the present year. Mr. Conklin formerly published a paper at Watertown, Dakota. Conklin & Hayley are proprietors. The paper is a five-column quarto.
The first car-load of grain ever shipped over the C, M. & St. P. Road from Dakota, was shipped from Lennox. The car itself was beautifully embellished by the Company. Lennox is the second station west of Canton, in the western part of the County.
The first school house was bail! in November, 1879—not for use as a school building, but was rented by the District for that purpose. It was situated in the south part of the town, and was afterwards purchased by Mr. Treat, who moved the building to his hotel, of which he made it a part. Miss Nona Miller was the first teacher. The present school building was erected in the autumn of 1S80, at
an expense of about 82,000. It has three departments, but as yet only one teacher is employed, viz: Mr. P. Ashley. The members of the first Board of Education were: J. E. Davis, H. B. Sheldon. Clerk; Josiah Sheldon, Treasurer. The present Board consists of the following gentlemen: J. N. Macomber, W. H. Wait, Clerk; Josiah Sheldon, Treasurer.
The first railroad train arrived in Lennox July 22.1879. A survey for a road to Yankton has been made by the Company, but as yet the project has not assumed definite proportions.
The Methodist Episcopal Society was organized in the autumn of 1879, by Rev. Mr. Bachelder, of Yankton. Services were first held in the old school house. A church was erected in the fall of 1880, costing $1,000. Other denominations have been freely permitted to use this building, which was the first church edifice erected in Lennox. Rev. Mr. Bachelder was succeeded by Rev. Mr. Kent, he by Rev. Mr. Miller, who is the present pastor. The membership is about fifteen. The first officers of the Society were: David Little, George Hart, W. B. Wait, B. Gillmore, E. Davis.
The Baptist Society have no regular organization, but merely what is known as a " preaching station," with V. B. Conlin as a Missionary of the Home Missionary Society. They have an organization at Lincoln Center, a portion of the members of which reside in Lennox, where they intend to shortly organize a church and
erect a suitable edifice.
St- Augustine's Church was organized in May, 1877, by Rev. C. J. Knauf, of Minnesota. Meetings were first held at the residence of M. M. Crowley, where they continue to be held, until the completion of their church building now in course of erection, at a coat of about $600. The membership represents about forty families. The officers are: T. B. Quigley. T. F. Crowley, P. H. Harley. M. M. Crowley, Treasurer. Rev. W. M. Maher is the pastor.
Silver Star Lodge No. 7, I. O. G. T., was instituted in September, 1881. The charter was granted on the 6th of that month. Charter members: W. B. Wait, E. Gillmore, O. P. Ashley, E. Davis, J. F. Ferguson, George Thickett, H. Little, Ed. Rodgers, Mrs. Davis. Mrs. Treat. Mrs. Wait, Miss Little, Mrs. Brooks, Mrs. Geo. Hart, and others. There are thirty members, and the membership is increasing. The first officers were: O. P. Ashley, W. U.; Mr. Hazlitt, Sec.; K. Gillmore, F. Sec; Mrs. E. Davis, Treasurer; Mrs. Treat, V. C; J. F. Ferguson, O. G.
Chairman—J. V. Conklin.
Supervisors—O. P. Ashley, Martin Holter.
Clerk—P. F. Haas.
Treasurer— W. B. Wait.
Justices—O. W. Palmer, David Little.
Attorney—P. F. Haas.
Agricultural Implements—A. A. Freeman.
Banks—Dakota Loan and Trust Company.
Blacksmiths—R. J. Little, D. T. Debelts.
Carpenters—I. M. Macomber, Louis Butzer.
Coal Dealer—W. B. Wait.
Druggist—I. M. Macomber.
Flour and Feed—W. B. Wait.
General Merchants—Frank H. Treat, N. Smith & Brother, Conklin & Carpenter.
Grain Dealers—A. A. Greenman, S. M. Durand.
Hardware—D. S. Guinter, A. Boynton.
Harness—O. P. Ashley.
Insurance—J. V. Conklin.
Livery—J. N. Munsil.
Lumber Dealers—J. F. Fenruson & Co.
Meat Market—Thomas B. Quigley.
Newspapers—Lincoln County Independent, Lennox Weekly Star.
Physicians—William H. Rouse.
Saloons—M. A. Filion.