South Dakota

Lincoln County South Dakota

Obituaries & Death Notices


Aberdeen Daily News (13 Dec. 1911) transcribed by FoFG MZ
Mr. and Mrs. Peters of Canton mourn the death of their little five-year-old daughter Esther. She was born at Wapello, Ia., and removed to Canton with her parents three years ago.

Aberdeen Weekly News (28 July 1898) transcribed by FoFG MZ
CANTON, S.D., July 27. - Miss Maud Miller was taken suddenly ill and died Sunday night. She was a niece of Mrs. Thomas Thorson, wife of ex-Secretary of State Thorson, and was a very popular young lady of the city. The remains were taken to Dodge Center, Minn., the home of her parents.

Aberdeen Daily News (11 Sept. 1907) transcribed by FoFG MZ
Canton - F. S. Moulton, a prominent farmer and an old resident of this county, died at his home near this city. He was sitting in his chair talking with his wife when the end came. He was a prominent member of the Congregational church. A widow, two sons and one daughter survive the old pioneer.

Aberdeen American (5 Sept. 1913) transcribed by FoFG MZ
CANTON - Gideon M. Murner died at his home in Canton August 26 after an illness of nearly two years. Mr. Murner was called the father of Hutchinson county, where he was sheriff, register of deeds, besides holding many other positions of trust. He settled at Scotland, S.D., in 1886.

Aberdeen Daily News (29 Apr. 1912) transcribed by FoFG MZ
The Rev. George Spittell Evans, formerly pastor of the Congregational church at Canton, died at Rock Rapids, Ia., last week after an illness of some time. He was stationed at Canton from 1905 to 1909, when his health broke down, and he was compelled to quit active work for a time. Later, partially recovering, he accepted a call to the pulpit at Rock Rapids.

Unnamed, undated newspaper
Handwritten 5-17-82
Contributed by Jacque McDonnell
Transcribed by Pamela J. Hamilton


CANTON, S.D. - Arnold Nagel, 44 of Canton died Monday May 17, 1982 at his home.

Mr. Nagel was born June 19, 1937, in Gettysburg, S.D. He married Shirley Johnson January 16, 1978, in Sioux Falls. After his marriage he moved to Canton.

Survivors include his wife; three sons, Joseph Nagel, Lamont Nagel, and Neil Nagel, all of Canton; two stepsons, Allan Knorr, Canton, and Steven Knorr, Sioux Falls; two daughters, Marlys Nagel and Kateri Nagel, both of Sioux Falls; three stepdaughters, Sheryl McKann, Sindy Knorr and Sandra Knorr, all of Canton; five step-grandchildren; five brothers, Herman Nagel, Leonard Nagel, Eugene Nagel, Larry Nagel and Jim Nagel, all of Gettysburg; a sister, Irma LeFaive of Hermosa, S.D.; and his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Laverne Myers, Milesville, S.D.

Services will be 2 p.m. Thursday May 20, 1982 at St. Dominic Catholic church, Canton, with burial at Forest Hills Cemetery, Canton. Visitation will be 2-9 p.m. today at Anderson Funeral Home, Canton. Prayers will be said at 8p.m. today at Anderson Funeral Home, Canton.

From "The Daily Republic", Mitchell, South Dakota
Friday, August 24, 1956 (Final Edition)
contributed by Jeanne Jessie


Wessington Springs -- Last rites will be held in the Congregational Church Sunday at 2 p.m. for John Van Bockern, 76, who died in the Memorial Hospital here early Friday morning.
The Rev. Calvin Hay will officiate. Burial will be in the local cemetery.
Mr. Van Bockern was taken ill Friday evening and moved to the hospital where he died as the result of a stroke.
He was born on a farm in Grundy County, Ia., Feb. 16, 1880, the son of John and Christine Van Bockern. In 1885 the family moved to a farm near Lennox. Mr. Van Bockern was married at Lennox in 1912 to Minnie Caroline Johnson.
The deceased owned a clothing store at Lennox for a few years, but soon after his marriage he and his wife came to Wessington Springs where he farmed most of the rest of his life.
Survivors are his widow; one son, Harold and four grandchildren. Other survivors are two brothers, Ed and Henry of Lennox and two sisters, Mrs. Helen Roben of Lennox and Mrs. Ida Lanamon of Godfrey, Ill.

Dakota Farmers' Leader (Canton, S. D.), April 21, 1916, page 1
Obituary of Knudt J. Hemmingson.
Knudt J. Hemmingson, for many years a well known resident of Garfield township , Sioux county, died at his home at Canton, S. D. Friday, April 7th, after a long illness from cancer. Funeral services were held at the United Lutheran church at Canton at 2:30 Sunday afternoon, Rev. Rasmussen preaching the funeral sermon. His body was brought to the Norweigan Lutheran church at Highland, in Eagle township, where brief services were conducted by Rev. J. S. Nordgaard at 10:30 Monday morning. Interment was made in the cemetery at Highland.
Knudt J. Hemmingson was the third eldest of a large family of brothers and sisters. He was born Nov. 17, 1857, and was therefore 58 years of age at the time of his death. The place of his birth and the home of the Hemmingson family was in Kendall county, Ill. The children were all born there. Although the parents were born in Norway the children are all native born Americans.
He came to Iowa in 1860 and moved to Sioux county in 1886 and located on a farm in Garfield township until three years ago when his health failed and he moved to Canton. He was united in marriage with Miss Jorgine Lande in 1892. Six children were born to them. Five are still living, Margaret, Johanna, Abner, Bernhard, and Kearney. He leaves to mourn his death, his wife and children, his aged mother, six brothers and two sisters are: Oliver of Canton, S. D.; Joseph J. and Edward J., of Ireton; Henry and Eli Polk county, Iowa; George of Yellow Medicine county, Minn.; Mrs. T. P. Johnson and Mrs. A. O. Johnson of Sioux county, Iowa.
The dread disease which caused his death had its beginning eleven years ago from a slight scratch from barbed wire on the rim of his ear. He thought it a trifling thing and paid no attention to it until its failure to heal caused him to give it some simple treatment. This was followed by more careful painstaking efforts to cure, but it did not entirely heal. Later the knife was resorted to and the ear was entirely removed. The scar healed over nicely and it was thought for a time that a cure had been accomplished, but as is the nature of a cancer, it broke out again from some of the tiny rootlets the knife had failed to remove. Then followed trips to Hot Springs and general treatment to get the poison out of the system, but it gradually grew worse and his late years have been years of great pain and suffering. Hawarden Independent.
Submitted by Robin Line



Copyright © Genealogy Trails with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributors