History of South Dakota, Volume 1
by Doane Robinson
B. F. Bowen & Co., Publishers 1904
Contributed by Vicki Hartman
MARSHALL COUNTY, SD
Marshall county, created from north half of Day county in 1885, named for Governor Marshall, of Minnesota. First settlement, Fort Wads worth, afterward Sisseton, 1864. Chief town and county seat, Britton. Agriculture and stock raising. D. T. Hindman, lieutenant governor, 1897-99. Area, 880 square miles. Population, 1900,5,942. The agricultural settlement of the county began in 1881. In 1892 the portion of the county embraced within the Sisseton reservation was opened to settlement, adding largely to population and importance of county. Fort Sisseton was abandoned in 1888. The coteau lakes and streams of this county have always been a resort for the Indians, and potteries, where the primitive earthenware of the Ree Indians was made, were discovered by Captain Comfort, of the regular army, at Kettle Lake.