SAMUEL P. HOWELL
SAMUEL P. HOWELL, of Frederick, Brown county, is a native of the old Buckeye state, having been born on a farm in Licking county, Ohio, on the 23d of December, 1837, and being a son of George P. and Matilda (Preston) Howell, the former of whom was born in New Jersey and the latter in Pennsylvania. Elias Howell, grandfather of the subject, was likewise a native of New Jersey, where the family was early established, and he removed thence to Ohio, in the pioneer epoch in that great commonwealth, becoming a man of prominence and influence in public affairs and having represented his district in congress for two terms. He passed the closing years of life in that state. George P. Howell was reared to manhood in Ohio and was there married. He continued to be identified with agricultural pursuits in Licking county until 1852, when he removed with his family to McLean county, Illinois, where both he and his wife passed the remainder of their lives. They became the parents of six sons and three daughters, the subject of this sketch having been the third in order of birth, while of the number five are living. Captain Howell received his early educational training in the common schools of his native state and later prosecuted his studies in the schools of Illinois. With the outbreak of the war of the Rebellion his patriotism was roused to responsive protest, and on the 25th of August, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company I, Ninety-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, commanded by Colonel W. W. Orm. His command was assigned to duty on the frontier and there remained during a considerable portion of its service. The regiment was in active service in the various operations in Missouri and Arkansas, later took part in the siege of Vicksburg and was present at the capitulation of Mobile and Spanish Fort. The Captain continued with his command until the close of the war, receiving his honorable discharge in August, 1865. Immediately after the organization of his company he was chosen second lieutenant, later was promoted first lieutenant and finally became captain of his company, over which he was in command at the time of the close of the great conflict, while he was discharged with the brevet rank of major.
After having thus proved by faithful service his loyalty to the Union, Captain Howell returned to the old homestead in McLean county, Illinois, where he remained until 1869, when he removed to the eastern part of the county and engaged in farming on an extensive scale, opening up a farm of two thousand acres. He improved a most valuable property and there continued operations until the spring of 1883, when he located in McPherson county. South Dakota, having made an investigating trip through this section the preceding autumn. He became the owner of twenty-four hundred acres, twelve miles north of Leola, and there gave his attention principally to the raising of cattle and horses, while three hundred acres of the property wer placed under effective cultivation. He maintained an average of seven hundred head of cattle on the ranch, which he still owns and operates, the property having been well improved and having greatly appreciated in value during the intervening years, which have witnessed the settling of the country and the rapid development of all resources and industries.
The Captain has retained his residence in the village of Frederick in the winters, living on the McPherson county farm of summers, since 1898, and was one of the owners of the Bank of Frederick, of which he has been president since January, 1894, while he is also part owner of the Frederick flouring mill, which is equipped with the most modern machinery and has a capacity for the output of two hundred barrels daily. He also has other capitalistic interests of importance, owning controlling interests in sixty-seven hundred acres of Brown county farms, and is known as one of the public-spirited men of this section of the state, being at all times ready to lend his aid and influence in the support of enterprises and measures which inure to the general good. In politics he gives an unwavering allegiance to the Republican party, having cast his first vote for Lincoln in i860. Though he has never been ambitious for political preferment he has served in various local offices, having held the office of county commissioner for McPherson county for an entire decade, and having been a member of the first board of commissioners of the county. He has attained to the thirty-second degree in the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry and is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
On the 8th of February, 1872, Captain Howell was united in marriage to Miss Mary Brooke, who was born in Media, Pennsylvania, being a representative of old colonial stock. They have six children, namely: Helen, who is now the widow of Bertine D. Gamble, of Milbank, and George Brooke, Mamie F., William E., Margaret and Jessie, who remain at the parental home, the elder son being the manager of the Frederick flouring mill. [History of South Dakota, Vol. 2 by Doane Robinson; B. F. Bowen & Co., Publisher, 1904 - Contributed by J. Dezotell]
P. D. KRIBS
P. D. KRIBS was born in the city of Elgin, Illinois, on the 5th of July, 1846, being a son of Paul and Sarah A. Kribs, who removed thence to Trempealeau county, Wisconsin, in 1865, his father there engaging in farming, to which he continued to devote his attention until his death. The subject, was thus reared to manhood in the county noted and there received his early educational discipline in the public schools, after which he prosecuted a course of study in the Galesville University, at Galesville, that county, while it is interesting to recall in the connection that among his fellow students was Hon. Charles N. Herreid, the present governor of South Dakota. After leaving school Mr. Kribs was engaged in teaching until March, 1886, when he came to South Dakota and located in the village of Leola, McPherson county, where he engaged in the drug business. He also became the publisher of the Northwest Blade, which he continued in Leola for three years, then removing the plant and business to Eureka, in the same county, where he continued the publication until April, 1894, when he sold out to his partner. In July, 1893, Mr. Kribs came to Columbia, and here established himself in the drug business, which he has since continued.
Mr. Kribs is a stalwart advocate of the principles and policies of the Republican party and has taken an active part in political affairs. In the autumn of 1902 he was elected to represent Brown county in the lower house of the state legislature. He was assigned to the committees on education, public health, libraries and printing. Mr. Kribs has ever been a stanch friend of the cause of popular education and has rendered most effective service along this line since coming to South Dakota. Before a meeting of the board of directors of Brown county he read a timely and able article touching the matter of centralizing the work of rural schools in the interest of effective service, advocating the establishing of central high schools in the various townships and thus bringing the higher school advantages accessible to a greater number and materially improving the system as a whole. This article was published by the state department of education and largely circulated throughout the state. In Leola, McPherson county, this state, on the 8th of November, 1887, Mr. Kribs was united in marriage to Miss Hattie M. Cavanagh, who was born in the province of Ontario, Canada, being a daughter of P. and Mary A. Cavanagh, who came to South Dakota in 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Kribs have three daughters, Edith, Olive and Ruth, who remain at the parental home and who are to be afforded the best of educational advantages. [History of South Dakota, Vol. 2, by Doane Robinson; B. F. Bowen & Co., Publisher, 1904, Contributed by J. Dezotell]