History of South Dakota, Volume 1
by Doane Robinson
B. F. Bowen & Co., Publishers 1904
Transcribed by Vicki Hartman
MEADE COUNTY, SD
Named for Fort Meade, which is located in this county and was named for the famous general of the rebellion. The county was cut off from the eastern portion of Lawrence in 1889. Sturgis, near Fort Meade, is the county seat. Agriculture, lumbering and stock raising are the chieff industries. The first settlements were road houses on the trail from Pierre, via Rapid, to Dead wood, in 1876. Fort Meade, first known as Camp Sturgis, was located August 1, 1878, and the settlement grew up around it and under its protection. The building of Fort Meade was the practical end of Indian troubles in the Hills. An important Catholic academy is located at Sturgis. Black Hawk has extensive saw mills. The railroad reached this locality in 1889. Dr. William G. Smith, of Sturgis, has been railway commissioner since 1899. Area, 3,003 square miles, and population, 1900, 4,907. Troop D, Grigshy's Cowboys, recruited at Sturgis.