HISTORY OF Southeastern Dakota, Its Settlement and Growth,

Sioux City Iowa: Western Publishing Company, 1881

 

Early (1881) Businesses of Sioux Falls

 

 GENERAL MERCHANDISE.

 

C. K. Howard was the first one to open a stock of goods in Sioux Falls. In 1868 he purchased the business of the post trader and began his business in the old hospital building, then standing near the present location of the Williams House. In 1871 he put up a frame building, corner Phillips Avenue and Tenth street, to which additions were made from time to time until nearly the entire lot was covered. In the spring of 1880 the old frame building was entirely removed and the present Howard & Taylor block—one of the marvels of this great northwest—erected in its place. This block has a frontage on Phillips Avenue of 88 feet and 150 feet on Tenth street. Mr. Howard occupies the south half of the block, his store room being 44 by 130 feet, immediately west of this room and connected with it is his meat market 20 by 44 feet, fronting on tenth street. The entire block is heated with Boynton furnaces and is lighted with plate glass windows. The basement and second story, connected with ground floor by an elevator, being more especially devoted to his wholesale business. His stock is extensive and demonstrates his ability to carry out his advertisement to the letter: "Howard buys anything and sells everything.” 

I. Harthorn and J. H. Moulton opened a stock of general merchandise in 1869, but after a short time gave up the business and turned their attention to other matters.

Col. Allen opened a stock of general merchandise in the fall of 1870, and continued the business until the fall of 1873, when he closed out his entire stock.

Wm. VanEps built a frame store and filled it with general merchandise in the spring of 1871. His business from the first has been steadily increasing both in the wholesale and retail line. It has been his intention from the time of his first establishment here to keep a stock of everything likely to be called for, from a paper of pins to a threshing machine, and unlike many others who have attempted such an extensive business he has not allowed one branch of it to prosper at the expense of another. His location from the first has been corner Phillips Ave. and Eighth St.

Geo. B. Sammons, established in the spring of 1873, continued in business until the summer of 1881, when he removed his stock to Brandon.

C. O. Natesta, opened a stock of general merchandise on Main Street in August, 1873. In 1874 he removed to Phillips Ave. Upon his election to the office of Register of Deeds in 1878 he disposed of his entire stock.

C. N. Bunce, established in June, 1876, continued in business about a year.

Turner Brothers, established September, 1878. In December, 1879, one of the partners reported that he had been "robbed " at Worthington, and the firm was soon closed by creditors.

Mundt & Kunerth, Tenth street, east of Phillips Avenue, established in June, 1878. In January, 1881, F. Kunerth purchased the entire business, which he still continues at the same location.

P. P. Boylan, dry goods, groceries and provisions, corner Main and 8th Sts.   Established October, 1878.

H. Gilbert &Son, east side Phillips Ave., north of Ninth street. Established in October, 1881.

 

DRY GOODS.

 

Wise Bros., opened an extensive and the first exclusive stock of dry goods ever brought to Sioux Falls in, Allen's building corner Phillip's Ave. and 8th street, in Augusi 1876. After a few months the entire stock was taken to Yankton. 

P. W. Wildt, began business in Sioux Falls, in the Cataract block in June, 1878. His stock of dry goods was bought by C. K. Howard in 1880, and his stock of clothing by Williams Bros., in the spring of 1881. 

W. R. Kingsbury, built on the lot adjoining First National Bank on the north, in April, 1878, where he remained until about the 1st of September of the present year, when he removed to Edmion block, corner Ninth St. and Phillips Ave., which he now occupies. 

Hardt & Waters, Cataract block, established September, 1878.  In 1879, Mr. W. C. Waters purchased the entire business which he has since conducted at the same location. 

P. S. West, exclusively dry goods, established May, 1880, continued in the business about six months. 

A. W. Allison, established July, 1880, west side Phillips ave., two doors north of the Howard & Taylor block. 

E. J. Daniels & Co., better known as "Dan and Harry;" west side Phillips ave., south of 8th st, established Sept., 1880.  

F. A. Kennard, Cataract block, established September, 1880. 

C. Comerford, established October, 1880, continued in business till July, 1881.

 

MILLINERY & LADIES FURNISHING.

 

Mrs. E. G. Wheeler, established June, 1873, continued only a short time. 

Mrs. C. G. Jewett, established April, 1874, continued about a year. 

Mrs. W. H. Bryan, established December, 1875, on east side Phillips ave.; afterward removed to present location, west side Phillips ave. between 10th and 11th streets. 

Mrs. J. Waldo, established October, 1877, continued only a few months. 

Misses McCall & Blanchard, established October, 1878, continued about a year and a half. 

Mrs. E. O. Rice, established in spring of 1878, in building adjoining Van Eps' store; removed to her present location, west side Phillips ave., near 9th street in August, 1879.

W. Obert. west side Phillips ave., near 10th street, established August, 1879.

Mrs. M. E. Pattee, Tenth street, east of Phillips ave., established June, 1881. 

Mrs. A. Allen, west side Phillips ave., north of 8th street, established September, 1881.

 

CLOTHING, & C.

Williams Bros., southwest corner Phillips ave. and Ninth street, established March, 1876. 

J. B. Cloudas & Co., Cataract block, established September, 1880.  

Schroeder & Peterson, west side Phillips ave., south of 10th st., established March, 1881. 

Louis Frank, established in spring of 1880; continued about four months.

 

MERCHANT TAILORS.

 

L. O. Johanson, established March, 1876. In 1877 sold to A. P. Anderson, and after a short time again started his business on Main street.   Is now with Schroeder & Peterson. 

A. P. Anderson, successor to L. O. Johanson, established spring of 1877; sold his business in 1880. 

Dahl & Skoven,  successors to A. P. Anderson, established February, 1880; sold to Dahl in 1881. 

O. M. Dahl, successor to Dahl & Skoyen, west side Phillips Avenue, near Nineth street; established October, 1881. 

G. H. Rognus, Tenth street, east of Phillips Avenue, established April, 1878. Mr. Rognus' health does not permit him to work at his trade at present. 

J. Becher, east side Phillips Avenue, near Eighth street, Established, September, 1880. 

C. List man, established in 1878,  west side Phillips Avenue, cor. 9th street.

 

DRUGS AND MEDICINES.

 

Win. Van Eps. established in spring of 1871. 

D. H. Henry, established June, 1873, sold to Dunning in 1874.

L. T. Dunning, northwest corner Phillips Avenue and Eighth street, successor to D. H. Henry, established October, 1874. 

Phillips & Brown, established August, 1877; sold to N.E. Phillips September, 1879. 

N. E. Phillips, successor to Phillips & Brown, established September, 1879; sold to Phillips & Nelson, February, 1880. 

N. E. Phillips & Co.—N. E. Phillips and W. H. Nelson—successors to N. E. Phillips, west side Phillips Avenue, near Tenth street;  established February, 1880. 

Geo. Mahoney & Co., established October 1878; removed from the place in 1879. 

U. Hyerdahl, established in spring of 1879; sold to Brush in '80. 

George Brush, established in fall of 1880; sold to Stiltes in 1881. 

A. H. Stiltes, southwest corner Phillips Avenue and Tenth street, established July, 1881. 

Noble Bros., established in summer of 1880; sold to Langbelle in 1881. 

Geo. Langbelle, successors to Noble Bros., west side Phillips Avenue, near Eighth street; established 1881.

 

SCHOOL FURNITURE AND MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS.

 

E. G. Ledyard accepted the agency for Dakota, for the sale of the celebrated Victor School Furniture and several first-class musical instruments in January, 1878. In November, the firm of Ledyard & Farwell was formed. The business of the firm has been very  extensive, extending to nearly every organized county east of the Missouri; in the spring of 1881, Mr. F. W. Farwell purchased the entire business which he still continues. Office and salesroom east side Phillips ave., just south of 10th street.

 

 

SEWING MACHINES.

 

The Singer Manufacturing Co., J. G. Phelps, agent, is the only establishment in the city dealing exclusively in sewing machines. Agency established in December, 1880.

 

WATCHMAKERS & JEWELERS.

 

E. G. Hancock, established in fall of 1872; continued till October, 1877. 

T. Pomeroy, established during summer of 1872.

R. D. Thomas, established Sept, 1877, continued about a year.

R. S. Imili, established November, 1877;  moved to Mitchell August, 1880. 

H. P. Hanson, established in 1878; removed in 1879.

R. B. Struthers, established in 1878; removed in 1879. 

C. F. Sischo, west side Phillips ave., near 8th street, established February, 1880.

Oscar Ericsson, west side Phillips ave., near 10th street, established April, 1880. 

D. J. Turner, corner Phillips ave. and Ninth street, established July, 1880.

 

PHOTOGRAPHERS.

 

Hudson & Munson, established May, 1878; sold to Munson in 1879. 

John M. Munson, successor to Hudson & Munson, east side Phillips ave., near 10th street, established August, 1879. 

E. J. Brown, established Sept., 1878, sold to H. Easton in 1879. 

H. Easton, established in spring of 1879, sold to Dunn & Easton in 1881. 

Dunn & Easton, successors to H. Easton, west side Phillips ave., near 7th street, established June, 1873. 

In addition to these parties a car used occasionally to visit Sioux Falls in an early day, A. Loneous and C. Foss being the operators.

 

SHOEMAKERS AND DEALERS IN BOOTS AND SHOES.

 

J. J. Hancock, established in the old barracks in the summer of 1871; afterward removed to west side Phillips ave., near 9th street, continued the business till July, 1877.

N. Boucher, established in August, 1872, continued about four years. 

D. Tharaldson, east side Phillips ave., near 10th street, established November, 1876. 

J. F. Redfield, established July, 1878, discontinued business July, 1880. 

C. R. Tate, established April, 1878, continued only a few months. 

O. Olson, established August, 1878, continued about a year.

H. Julson, established in 1876, continued but a few months.

W. C. Hopkins, east side Phillips ave., north of 10th street, established in spring of 1878.  

D. S. Glidden, east side Phillips ave., near 9th street, established November, 1878. 

W. Lloyd & Sons, west side Phillips ave., south of 9th street, established April, 1879. 

W. Rabe, east side Phillips ave., north of 9th street, established November, 1879. 

J. M. Entzminger, Cataract block, established, September, 1880.

 

GROCERIES.

 

C. B. Culbertson, established December, 1873, continued about a year. 

John Henjum, west side Phillips Ave., south of 10th st. Established May, 1877. 

Lockwood & Jeffrys, established December. 1873, continued about a year. 

T. T. Cochran, wholesale and retail groceries, corner Phillips Ave. and 8th St.. established September, 1877. 

A. W. Ogden, established April 1878, continued till April 1879. 

I. K. Buck, west side Phillips Ave., south of Ninth street, established November, 1878. 

E. J. Brown, established September, 1878,  continued till spring of 1879. 

J. M. Murray, established in fall of 1878, continued till fall of 1879. 

A. Clendenning, established October, 1878, continued about a year. 

P. F. Thompson, Tenth street, east of Phillips Ave., established December, 1878. 

M. Gerin, west side Phillips Ave, near 9th stv established January, 1879. 

Kamph & Uage, established March, 1880, continued till January 1st, 1831. 

Webb & Matteson. west side Phillips Ave., north of 8th st., established, October, 1881. 

Leavitt Bros., established May, 1878. Sold out in October, 1881. 

W. A. Noble, successor to Leavitt Bros., west side Phillips Ave. near 8th st., established October, 1879.

 

BAKERIES AND RESTAURANTS.

 

Geo. Bordman,  began business in the old barracks in June, 1873; continued with occasional intervals until 1879. 

A. J. Hayes, bakery and restaurant, east side Phillips Ave., near 8th st., established November, 1879. 

P. Hall, City Bakery and Restaurant, west side Phillips Ave. near 8th st.; established April, 1880. 

A. Palm, restaurant, Phillips Ave. north of 8th st.; established, July, 1881. 

C. Weihe, Vienna Bakery, established Feb'y, 1880, continued but a few months.

 

MEAT MARKETS.

 

A number of persons have opened meat markets in Sioux Falls who, after a time, have closed their markets and either engaged in other businesses or removed from the place. Those that can now be called to mind are Castor & Blades, here in 1873-4; Castor & Chamberlain, 1874-5; W. Hauser, 1875; Otto Anderson, 1875; G. C. Gladwyn, 1876-7; G. W. Bainbridge, 1877; T. C. Allen, 1878; John Zente, 1879.   Those now in business are:

C. K. Howard, 10 st.; established fall of 1873.

J. B. Peterson & Co., 9th st.; established November, 1878.

H. H. Carroll, east side Phillips Ave., north of 9th st., established in June, 1881, as Carroll & Puttee.

Michael & Roberts, west side Phillips Ave., near 7th st., established August, 1881.

 

FLOUR, FEED, ETC.

In the fall of 1877, D. T. Scott opened a flour and feed store on the west side Phillips Avenue, which he continued for about a year when he formed a partnership with W. C. Boyce and moved across the Avenue. In October, 1879. Mr. Scott disposed of his interest to Messrs. Boyce, Fairbanks & Co.; August 1st, 1880, this last mentioned firm sold to W. C. Boyce & Co.—W. C. Boyce and W.

H. Byran—who still continue the business, east side Phillips Avenue, between Ninth and Tenth streets. 

W. W. Johnson, east side Phillips Avenue, north of Eighth street, established May, 1879. Mr Johnson also deals in hides and wool.

 

GUNS, ETC.

 

G. K. Gunderson, east side Phillips Avenue, north of Ninth street, established September, 1880.

 

HARNESS MAKERS, ETC.

 

John McKee, west side Phillips Avenue, north of Ninth street, established in 1871.

N. E. Cisna, established in spring of 1877; continued about two years.

N. L. Anderson, east side Phillips Avenue, near Tenth street; established September 1878.

F. Wesser, east side Phillips Avenue, near Eighth street, established November, 1879.

 

CHINESE LAUNDRY.

 

Sang Lee, on alley between Eighth and Ninth streets; established in spring of 1880.

 

TOBACCO, CIGARS, ETC.

 

A. T. Fleetwood, east side Phillips Avenue, south of Eighth street. Since April, 1879, the firm has been Fleetwood & Lloyd, and located in post office building.

D. J. Fisher, cigar factory; established June, 1879, continued about a year.

F. F. Angel & Son, cigar factory, east side Phillips Avenue, south of Eighth street; established September, 1879.

Henry Pontz, cigar factory, west side Philips Avenue, just south of Nineth street; established August 1880.

 

NEWS, STATIONERY, BOOKS, ETC.

 

E. T. Mallory, established June. 1873, continued about a year.

C. O. Natesta, established November 1873; sold to Mr. Russell in January, 1879, who sold to S. M. Bear & Co., in March, 1879.

S. M. Bear, & Co., west side Phillips Avenue, next door north of Cataract block; established March, 1879.

F. W. Farwell, established April, 1878; continued the business until November, 1878.

Fleetwood & Lloyd, Post office building; established April, 1879.

 

BANKS.

 

J. D. Cameron, established the first bank in Sioux Falls in May, 1874. He continued the banking business for about two years, when he devoted his entire attention to the real estate business.

T. R. Crandall & Co., came to Sioux Falls in June, 1874, prepared to open the Minnehaha County Bank, but sold their material to J. D. Cameron before opening an office.

J. B. Young, established the Sioux Falls Bank in August, 1876. In June, 1877, H. L. Hollister purchased an interest in the business; from that time until the organization of the First National Bank, the bank was known as the Sioux Falls Bank of J. B. Young & Co.

The First National Bank of Sioux Falls, was chartered April 1st, 1880, with J. B. Young, President; R. F. Pettigrew, Vice President and H. L. Hollister, Cashier. The capital stock—$50,000 —being owned as follows: H. L. Hollister, $20,000; J. B. Young, $16,000; R. F. Pettigrew, $3,000; J. Schaetzel, $3,000; C. K. Howard, $2,500; N. E. Phillips, $2,500; C. F. Webber, $2,000; C. G. Walts, $1,000.

R. Nation, established the Citizens Bank in September, 1878; sold to Hills & Beebe in 1881.

Hills & Beebe, Citizens Bank, corner Phillips Avenue and Tenth street; established February, 1881.

Easton & McKinney, established November, 1880; sold to McKinney & Scougal in 1881. 

McKinney & Scougal, successors to Easton & McKinney, corner Phillips Avenue and Eighth street; established in summer of 1881.

 

BRICKYARDS.

 

The first kiln of brick manufactured in Sioux Falls was burned by D. H. Talbot, now of Sioux City, in June, 1873, on Frank street, just east of where the Worthington & Sioux Falls Railroad now crosses. In the summer of 1874, D. H. Talbot and John D. Cameron burned several kilns of brick on the east side of the river, near the bluffs. 

Bayse & Kindred, Frank street, east of Eighth Avenue, established September, 1877; sold to Kindred in 1878. 

N. B. Kindred, established July, 1878; yard in the southeast part of the town. 

D. Donahoe, established in summer of 1879; yard near the river, east end of Frank street.

 

BREWERY.

 

Knott & Nelson, established in summer of 1874, sold to Knott & Co. in fall of 1874.

G. A. Knott & Co.—G. A. Knott and C. K. Howard—successors to Knott & Nelson, established in fall of 1874; located on bluffs at north end of Main street.

 

WHOLESALE LIQUORS.

 

H. Gilbert, east side Phillips Avenue, near Ninth street; established June, 1873.

J. Q. Houts, corner Phillips Avenue and Ninth street; established as a branch house of Ohlraan & Co., in April, 1878.

T. T. Cochran, corner Philips Avenue and Eighth street; established September, 1877.

 

FURNITURE.

 

I. C. Dixon, established in spring of 1872; corner Main and Eighth streets: moved to Brown block, west side Phillips Avenue, near Eighth street, in 1880. 

Weston & Petterson, established July 1874; sold to A. Petterson in 1880.

A. Petterson, successor to Weston & Petterson; corner Phillips Avenue and Tenth street; established October, 1878. 

Nichols & Kinney, established November, 1880; continued the business but a few months.

 

HARDWARE.

 

W. S. Bloom, corner Main and 8th streets, established in 1870; had groceries in connection, continued about a year. 

Wm. Van Eps, corner Phillips ave. and 6th street, established in spring of 1871. 

F. J. Cross, established in the fall of 1872 in the old barracks. In the spring of 1873, with N. E. Phillips, under firm name of Phillips & Cross, commenced business on west side Phillips ave., between 9th and 10th streets; sold out in spring of 1874.  

Phillips & Brown, successors to Phillips & Cross, established in spring of 1874. sold to Buck & Bro., in 1878. 

I. K. Buck & Bro., successors to Phillips & Brown, established September, 1878, sold to Graves & Taylor in 1879. 

Graves & Taylor, successors to I. K. Buck & Bro., established March. 1879, sold to Taylor in 1881. 

F. W. Taylor, successor to Graves & Taylor. Howard & Taylor block, corner Phillips ave. and 10th street, established June, 1881. 

W. S. Kimball, established July, 1873, continued about a year.  

T. F. Leavitt & Co., west side Phillips ave., north of 9th street, established December, 1876, had grocery stock when first started; the style of the firm has been changed to Leavitt & Vincent.

E. Larson, west side Phillips ave., south of 9th street, established April, 1877. 

H. A. Cadd, established April, 1876, moved to Dell Rapids in 1877.

G. W. Howard, established June, 1878, moved away in 1880.

O. S. Swenson, west side Phillips ave., between 9th and 10th streets, established in the fall of 1880.

 

BLACKSMITHS, WAGON  MAKERS, AC.

 

Z. P. Herrick, blacksmith, south side 8th street, near the river, established in fall of 1871. 

True Dennis, blacksmith, established in 1871, continued the business until 1878. 

T. H. Pruner, blacksmith, established September, 1877. Shop was first located on 9th street near the river, thence moved to near 10th street bridge, and again to west side Phillips ave., near 7th street, where he is now located. 

W. N. Dillabough, wagon shop, established in 1872; continued until 1878. 

A. Anderson, 8th street, east side of river, established October, 1878. 

E. Jenson. blacksmith, east side of river, established October, 1878; when first established had wagon shop in connection, lost in flood of 1881.

Norton & Murray, brick shop, east side Phillips ave., between 9th and 10th streets, established November, 1878; have a wagon shop in connection.

Stringham & Gillett, corner 10th street and Island ave., established May, 1878; Have a wagon shop in connection.

 

LUMBER.

 

Wm. Van Eps was one of the first to start a lumberyard in Sioux Falls, which he continued until the spring of 1874.

Edwin Sharpe & Co., began business in Sioux Falls in the summer of 1872, at the corner of M lin and Eighth Streets. Upon the advent of the railroad the yard was moved to the east side near the St. Paul depot, where they still continue business. 

Roderick & Brown, established in May, 1873; corner Phillips Avenue and Tenth streets; sold out in spring of 1874. 

B. F. Roderick, successor to Roderick & Brown, established in spring of 1874. In 1878 removed to the east side of the river, at the crossing of Eighth street and Pembina railroad. His entire stock was swept over the falls in the flood of April 1881. The stock recovered was sold to other parties and Mr. Roderick now devotes his entire attention to the grain business. 

Bates & Son, near Tenth street bridge, established in January, 1877; stock bought by Sharpe & Co. in 1879. 

I. N. Waples, Philli pa Avenue, near Seventh street; established in spring of 1878, continued about a year. 

W. R. Bourne (N. C. Foster & Co..) east side; established October 1878; stock bought by Sharpe & Co., in 1880. 

"Badger" lumber yard, east Eighth street, near river; established in 1880; stock lost in flood of 1881. 

J. W. Parker & Son, corner Main and Seventh streets; established October, 1879. 

A. A. Grout, Minneapolis Lumber yard; established August, 1878; north side east Eighth street, after the flood of April, 1881, moved to  higher ground on south side of Eighth street, east side, where he still continues business. 

H. W. Ross, Oshkosh yard; Eighth street, east side, near St. Paul elevator, established September, 1880.

 

COAL, WOOD, LIME, ETC.

 

D. A. Brown opened a coal vard and lime home near St. Paul elevator, in September 1878. lie afterwards sold to R. G. Parmley &Co.

R. G. Parmley & Co., coal, wood and lime, near St. Paul elevator; established November, 1878. 

W. C. Boyce, wood and coal, also dealer in carriages, established in summer of 1878. In November, 1878, associated with D. F. Scott, under firm name of Scott & Boyce, and included flour and feed. October 1st, 1879, firm changed to Boyce, Fairbanks & Co. August 1st, 1880, firm changed to W. C. Boyce & Co.—W. C. Boyce and W. H. Bryan—east side Phillips Avenue, between 9th and 10th streets. 

C. E. Place & Co., wood and coal in connection with draying; established in spring of 1880; west side Phillips Avenue, corner 11th street in spring of 1881, yards removed to 7th street, near railroad track. 

Smead & Alguire, wood and coal; east side Phillips Avenue, just south of 10th street; established in the spring of 1880.  

A. A. Grout, wood, coal and lime in connection with lumber business; established in fall of 1878. 

E. Sharpe & Co., wood and coal in connection with lumber yard; established in 1872. 

B. F. Roderick, wood and coal in connection with lumber yard;  established in fall of 1878.

 

AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENTS.

 

C. K. Howard, established this part of his business in 1870.

Wm. VanEps, established in 1871.

G. C. Lawton, established May, 1875. continued about a year.

Skinner & Austin, established May, 1873. A. J. Skinner succeeded the firm in 1874, and continued about three years.

O. & K. Thompson, east side Phillips Ave., between 9th and 10th streets; established June, 1875. K. Thompson succeeded the firm in June, 1878. und continues the business. 

Gilman & Dick, established in spring of 1877, continued about a year.

C. M. Bunce, established in spring of 1879; continued about a year.

Stringham & Gilett, agricultural implements and manufacturers of  wagons, corner Tenth st. and Island Avenue; established May, 1878.

Norton & Murray, agricultural implements and manufacturers of wagons, east side Phillips Ave., near 10th st., established November, 1878.

 

LIVERY STABLES.

 

Cullender Bros., east side Phillips Ave., near 8th st., established in spring of 1873, sold to W. E. Willey in 1880.

W. E. Willey, successor to Callender Bros., east side Phillips Ave., near 8th st., established in spring of 1880.

P. P. Peck, established April 1874, east side Phillips Avenue, north of Ninth street.   In 1877 moved south about a block on same street, and in 1879 moved to corner Main and 9th streets, where he is permanently located.

Dodge & Carson, established September, 1878; sold to P. P. Peck in 1879.

Bersie Bros., established in summer 1879; continued until 1881.

J. P. Tufts, main street near 6th, established in spring of 1880.

Queen City Livery stables, corner Main and 10th streets, established August, 1881, by Jac Schaetzel, Jr., is a model livery for the West. The building is 40 by 72 feet, two stories high.—The first story contains stalls for thirty horses, well, mixing troughs for feed, &c. On the second floor is the carriage room, office, sleeping room for the hostler, closets for robes, &c. The third floor is for hay and feed and furnishes ample room for storing 1,000 bushels of oats, four or five tons of bran and seventy tons of hay, besides room for machine for cutting the feed.

 

LIFE AND FIRE INSURANCE.

 

Briggs & Robinson, established a general insurance agency in Sioux Falls in February, 1879. They represent fourteen different companies and devote their entire attention to the business of insurance.   Office over Post Office. 

Geo. W. Lewis, office over first National Bank, established in 1879.   Does a general insurance and loaning business.  

The various professions have been fully represented in Sioux Falls from the time of its first settlement. We give the names and dates of the establishment of the different parties in chronological order so far as possible. Unless otherwise specified, they are still in business in the city:

 

PHYSICIANS.

 

J. L. Phillips, summer of 1869; Joseph Roberts, fall of 1872; removed to his farm in 1874, died in 1881. J. C. Morgan, May, 1873; S. Olney, Aug, 1877. Dr. Olney formed a partnership with L. O. Tanner, in spring of 1879, which last but a few months, Dr. Tanner removing from the city. E. P. Allen, April, 1878; removed in 1880. E. Watson, Sept. 1878; A. L. Marcy, April, 1879; H. J. Cate, January, 1880, moved in October,1880. J. B. LeBlond, May, 1880; Harry Stites, July, 1881.

 

RESIDENT DENTISTS.

 

Peter Bush, spring of 1878; E. Bedford, July, 1881.

 

LAND AGENTS.

 

A. Gale, fall of 1871.

T. H. Brown, July, 1872.

E. A. Sherman, July, 1873.

J. D. Cameron, June, 1874.

Jac Schaetzel, Jr., January, 1876.

F. S. Emerson, January, 1878.
E. E. Sage, December, 1878.
L. D Henry, October, 1880.

In this connection we would remark that all the attorneys give more or less of their attention to real estate business.

 

ATTORNEYS.

 

R. F. Pettigrew, September, 1869.
John Bippus, May, 1870.

W. R. McLaury, October, 1870; removed June, 1876.

M. Grigsby, July. 1872. now Grigsby & Wilkes.

E. G. Wheeler, May, 1873; removed in ‘74.

C. H. Winsor, June, 1873.

C. J. Hadley, December, 1873; removed in '74.

T. R. Kershaw, June, 1877; now Kershaw & Flagg.

C. W. McDonald, June, 1877.

A. M. FIagg, Sept. 1877; now Sherman & Flagg.

W. W. Brookings, fall of 1877.

E. Parliman, fall of 1877; now Parliman & Frizzell.
L. M. Estabrook, spring of 1878.

F. L. Boyce, spring of 1878.

G. P. Cross, April, 1878.

J. A. Wilson. June, 1878; removed in 1879.
A. Frizzell, June, 1878, now Parliman & Frizzell.
L. C. Hitchcock, June, 1878, removed in 1880.
R. J. Wells, August. 1878.

Wall & Disney, October, 1878, removed April, 1879;

W. A. Wilkes. November, 1878, now Grigsby & Wilkes.

L. S. Swezey. fall of 1879.

E. G. Wright, October. 1880.

T. J. Wolf, fall of 1880.

Bottum & Dawes, fall of 1880.

Coughran & McMartin, fall of 1880.

Free& Polk, full of 1880.

Clark & Fairfax, spring of 1881.

C. H. Wynn, June, 1881.

 

In addition to the business here enumerated, Sioux Falls has full quota of carpenters, masons and workmen in all the trades.


HOME

©2008 Genealogy Trails

 

Background courtesy of http://www.christiangraphics.org/