Pennington County is immediately south of Lawrence county, and extends eighty miles east and west, and twenty, north and south. The surface is about equally divided into mountainous and open country, the western portion extending into the heart of the Hills, and the eastern including the main valleys and plains. About one-half of the county is timbered. Sufficient drainage is afforded by the Box Elder, Rapid, Sping and Battle creeks. The surveyed lands include nearly one-half the area of the county, a large share of which is occupied by homesteaders and ranchmen.
NEWSPAPERS PUBLISHED IN PENNINGTON COUNTY, 1885
Black Hills Index, Dem.......Rapid City
Black Hills Journal, Ind..... Rapid City
Republican.................. Rapid City
Rapid City, in the northern part of Pennington county, was founded in 1880, and has since maintained a steady growth. The city is well supplied with schoolsand churches, and contains about thirty mercantile establishments. It has two printing houses, a library association, four hotels, several civic organizations, and various manufacturing industries. The population is estimated at 1,200.