Pennington County, South Dakota Biographies
WERNER, Theodore B., a Representative from South Dakota; born in Ossian, Winneshiek County, Iowa, June 2, 1892; attended the public and parochial schools; moved to Rapid City, S.Dak., in 1909; engaged in the newspaper publishing and commercial printing business; editor and publisher of the Gate City Guide since 1912; served as postmaster of Rapid City 1915-1923; commissioner of Rapid City 1927-1930; served as mayor in 1929 and 1930; unsuccessful Democratic candidate for election in 1930 to the Seventy-second Congress; elected as a Democrat to the Seventy-third and Seventy-fourth Congresses (March 4, 1933-January 3, 1937); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1936 to the Seventy-fifth Congress; resumed the newspaper publishing business until 1965; was a resident of Rapid City, S.Dak., until his death there on January 24, 1989.
–Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-Present; transcribed by A. Newell.
History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
Charles Roland is one of the partners in a hardware store at Hill City and is regarded as an energetic business man whose well formulated plans deserve to be crowned with the success with which he is meeting. He was born in Delaware county, Iowa, March 7, 1858, and is a son of Ira and Sarah (Gibson) Roland, natives of Wales and England respectively. They were married, however, after coming to the new world, whither they emigrated in childhood. The father was reared in the state of New York and in the early ‘40s removed westward to Iowa, settling in Delaware county, where he secured a homestead claim and engaged in farming, spending his remaining days there. His was a busy and useful life and his death, which occurred in 1875, was a matter of deep regret to many who knew him. His widow still makes her home in Delaware county.
Charles Roland is the oldest in a family of five children. He spent his youthful days under the parental roof and supplemented his early education, acquired in the district schools of Delaware county, by study in the Manchester high school or academy. He left home at the age of twenty-three years and went to the Black Hills in the spring of 1883, settling near Deadwood, where he was employed in the Uncle Sam mill for about three years. He was afterward employed in a mine at Bald mountain and prospected in what is now known as Ragged Top. He continued in that business until 1889, when he arrived in Hill City. He was then employed in the tin mines and mills for about two years, after which he went to Dawson, Alaska, and was engaged in prospecting in that country for two years, meeting the usual hardships and experiences of life in the far northwest. He then returned to Hill City and was connected with mining interests there for a time. Later, however, he sold out and in 1900 entered the hardware business in partnership with George W. Coats for the conduct of a general hardware store. They carry a large line of both shelf and heavy hardware and machinery and enjoy a liberal trade which has grown rapidly. The partners also operate a stock ranch near Faith, in Perkins county, comprising two hundred and forty acres of land. Upon their ranch they have range horses and this branch of their business is likewise proving profitable. Mr. Roland also owns land in Texas but devotes the greater part of his time to his mercantile interests in Hill City.
In his political views Mr. Roland is a stalwart democrat but has never aspired to office, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his individual interests. He is a member of the Elks lodge at Rapid City and he has many substantial qualities which have won him high regard in a district where character rather than conventionality is the standard by which men are gauged.
Who’s Who in South Dakota, Vol. 2
By O. W. Coursey
Educator School Supply Co., Publisher, 1916
Transcribed and Contributed by Jim Dezotell
CLEOPHAS C. O'HARRA
HAS MADE GOOD
Back in 1908 when Spafford, Erickson, Norby, Burt and Anderson composed the board of regents, they held a meeting at the Royal hotel in Huron. During the session, a motion was made to appropriate $200 to defray the expense of sending Dr. Cleophas C. O'Harra of the State School of Mines at Rapid City, to visit the institutions of the east that had sent expeditions into the Bad Lands in years gone by, and to collect from their libraries all available records of these expeditions, and to unite them into one general report for use in South Dakota. Burt objected; Spafford defended: the motion prevailed ; and today, as a result of the undertaking, there is distributed throughout our state and elsewhere 2,000 copies of Dr. O'Harra's "Geology of the Bad Lands," containing 150 pages of condensed subject matter, plus 50 full-page illustrations. It is a document without which no library in the state would be complete. In addition to the second-hand data used, Dr. O'Harra went away beyond and incorporated into it the results of his own immediate investigations and observations in the Bad Lands.
Prior to this— in 1902— Dr. O'Harra prepared and published his "Mineral Wealth of the Black Hills," a book that attracted wide attention, for it was the first time that a ripe student of minerology had taken time and gone to the expense of collecting sufficient data from which to work out an authentic volume. New discoveries here and there during the past ten years may make its early revision necessary, but in the main, it will always stand — a triumphant achievement of its indomitable author.
PREPARATION AND EXPERIENCE
Dr. O'Harra came into life at the village of Bentley, Illinois, not far from the old Mormon town of Carthage, in Hancock county. His parents were early pioneers in that section of the state.
He got his early education in the schools of Hancock county, and then attended Carthage college, being graduated by that institution as an A. B. in 1891. The board of directors immediately elected him a member of the faculty of his Alma Mater, and assigned him to the professorship of natural and physical sciences. He had made good as a student and they knew he would do so as a professor.
After filling this position for four years, he resigned in 1895, to enter Johns Hopkins university at Baltimore. Here he specialized on geology and minerology; graduated in 1898 and was given his Ph. D. degree.
On the very day that he took his final examination at Johns Hopkins, he was elected professor of geology and minerology in the School of Mines at Rapid City, this state, and he immediately struck west. He filled this position so satisfactorily for thirteen consecutive years, that when President Fulton of the School of Mines resigned in July, 1911, Dr. O'Harra was tendered the presidency of the institution.
The first thing he did was to throw out the business course and the academic preparatory course and bring the institution up to college grade in all lines. The only under course now in vogue is a preparatory scientific course. This, under present conditions, seems to be an indispensable necessity. At present the school has an enrollment of 78. Only 5 are girls. The change in the course of study forced them to take training elsewhere. Good for O'Harra ! He did the manly thing.
When Dr. O'Harra graduated at Carthage, in 1891, he was the only member of his class. Two years later (1893), Miss Mary Marble, of Bowen, Illinois, also graduated at Carthage college; and, strangely enough, she, too, was the only member of her class. The school is a half century old, and the two occasions herein enumerated are the only times in its history when its graduating class consisted of but one person.
O'Harra is a pious fellow as well as a philosopher. He believes in the scriptures and he is a profound student of them. He realizes that God meant it when He inspired Moses to write "It is not good for man to be alone;" so the lone graduate of 1891 married the lone graduate of 1893, immediately after her graduation, and they have been having a happy social duet ever since.
Into their cheerful home have come four children— three boys and a girl. The oldest son is now a sophomore in the School of Mines; the other two are attending public school in Rapid City, while the girl is not as yet of school age.
OTHER RELATIONS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
Dr. O'Harra was elected a member of the Phi Beta Kappa at Johns Hopkins. He is also a Fellow of the Geological Society of America, a Fellow of the American Association for the Advance of Science, a member of the Seismological Society of America; was special assistant for the government in preparing the United States geological survey; published a number of geological pamphlets of his own, and mapped many square miles of Black Hills geology, including Belle Fourche, Devil's Tower, Aladdin and Rapid Quadrangles.
He has procured many choice views and specimens of antedeluvian fossils. From these he gives two choice, scholarly, illustrated lectures — one on the Black Hills and the other on the Bad Lands. The educational value of these two lectures is not discounted by any speeches that are, or have been, delivered throughout the state.
In addition to these two lectures, he has developed a third, entitled "The Age of Precision," which is commanding the respect of the scholars of the state. It is too lengthy to be embodied in its entirety in a work of this kind, yet the following extracts from it will not only prove interesting and valuable, but they will suffice to give the reader the idea of the broad sweep and beautiful literary style of the whole speech:
"This age above all others demands the keenest intellects for the solving of the problems placed before us. It is a period of unrest. In the busy marts of the world, in the quiet lanes of rural labor, among the enlightened nations of the earth and in the far away recesses of savage habitation, the same discontent appears and all are seeking for something better. Too many, discouraged by the perplexities of their environment and sympathetic in reasonable measure for the burdens of their brothers, wonder, under the weight of dissatisfaction, if the world is all wrong. Everybody's in a hurry — in a hurry to go somewhere, in a hurry to get rich, in a hurry to attain position, in a hurry to excel in one way or another.
"Six hundred years ago an old English King took three barley corns, round and dry, and, placing them end to end, called the space one inch, and twelve of these spaces one foot. From this crude beginning Henry VII, in 1490, established the earliest actual yardstick. This stick continued in use 250 years. It was made of nicely shaped brass, but the ends were neither exactly flat nor exactly parallel. Three hundred years afterward the Elizabethan standard was made and in 1824 this was adopted by Parliament. Ten years later this standard was destroyed by fire. Fortunately one-half dozen copies were in existence and from these a new standard was made. This was legalized in 1855. It is today the English standard of the world and a duplicate rests in the United States office of weights and measures at Washington City.
"In the laboratories at the South Dakota State School of Mines we have weighing balances of sufficient refinement to weigh the minute amount of graphite used in making the dot over the letter T in ordinary pencil writing, and we are told that instruments are now obtainable which will record differences of as little as one-thousandth of a milligram or approximately one-twenty-five millionth of an avoirdupois ounce.
"Twelve years ago a new star flamed forth in great brilliancy in the constellation Perseus and later faded to insignificance. We are told that the light was three centuries in reaching us and that the phenomenon causing this brilliant display seemingly occurring in 1901 had in reality taken place in the days of Oliver Cromwell. The links that make up an ordinary chain are common place enough but who can refrain from reverie when he learns that Neptune 2,800,000,000 miles away is held to the solar center by a gravitational influence equivalent to the strength of a rod of steel 500 miles in diameter.
"Some time ago a man found an ant dragging a grasshopper and being impressed by the incident weighed both. The ant weighed 3.2 milligrams and the grasshopper 190 milligrams — sixty times as much. Just as many another might do the observer stated that this was equivalent to a 150-pound man dragging a load of 4 1-2 tons or a 1,200 pound horse a load of 36 tons. Later a keener observer showed a fallacy in this reasoning in that the weight of the animal varies approximately as the cube of its lineal dimensions while its strength varies approximately as the square of the diameter of the muscle. Calculation on this basis
shows the strength of the ant compared with that of man to be much the same rather than many times as great.
"The United States Coast and Geodetic Survey in connection with a similar organization from Canada is marking with extreme precision the boundary line between the two countries. It so happens that the axis of rotation of the earth varies its position in regular order in periods of about fourteen months. This leads to a corresponding variation in latitude along this boundary line so that according to a recent statement by one of the chief officials of this survey any point of the boundary line if precisely fixed on a given day may be as much as 50 or 60 feet distant seven months later.
"The ability to think is a divine gift. The higher the mountain the greater the opportunity for vision. A thousand years ago heaven had a particular physical location. But, as has been well stated, heaven today has a different meaning to men who know that the earth is whirling through space at a rate of 66,000 miles an hour and that the direction of the zenith changes every sixty minutes through an angle equal to 15 degrees multiplied by the cosine of the latitude. Far more faith than unbelief will come from the intelligent acceptance of well founded scientific facts. Science makes for purity, genuineness and truth. Half a century ago we limited the age of the earth to a few thousand years and viewed with righteous horror any who might raise a question. Today we grant ourselves unlimited millions and we love God all the more.
"The same requirement exists whatever be our places. Let us not start out by mourning over a supposed degeneracy of the present. There never has been a day better than today and tomorrow will be a little ahead of this one. Grumblers are seldom efficient. Let us open our door to cheerfulness and surround ourselves with joy. Let us make our hearts storehouses for unselfish thoughts and our hands instruments for ready action. Let us see to it that our work, conceived in faith and wrought in patience, has the element of accuracy, permanency, and helpfulness, so that even better than the Herculanean manuscripts written in carbon ink it may withstand the vicissitudes of the ages."
The Doctor is a man of tremendous tension of intellect, a profound student, a careful observer, a close reasoner and a deep thinker; in fact, he is acknowledged as one of the leading scholars of the state. His habits are of the simplest kind, and his sociability and fellowship are unsurpassed.
History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
GEORGE W. COATS.
George W. Coats, well known in connection with the hardware trade at Hill City, being senior partner in the firm of Coats & Roland, was born in Dixon county, Nebraska, April 2, 1871, a son of Samuel H. and Cynthia C. (Beardshear) Coats, both of whom were natives of Ohio, born in 1841 and 1846, respectively. In early life the father became a surveyor and in early manhood he removed to Nebraska and surveyed a large amount of land in that state. He was elected to the first state legislature of Nebraska and was a prominent and influential figure there in early times. He invested in land in Nebraska, where be lived until 1876, when he came to the Black Hills, settling at Sheridan after spending a short time in Custer. In the winter of 1876-7 he removed to Battle Creek, near Hayward, and there continued until 1879, when he sold his interests in that locality and took his family to Hill City in the fall of 1880. He engaged in ranching on the present site of Hill City and was thus busily engaged until 1884, when he became an invalid, unable to walk. He had served as a soldier in the Civil war, being a member of an Indiana regiment for about two years, and he was always as true and loyal to his duties of citizenship in times of peace as when he followed the old flag upon southern battlefields. He served as assessor for a number of years and was one of the first county commissioners in Pennington county. He also filled the office of justice of the peace in Hill City for many years and made an excellent record in office, being prompt and efficient in the discharge of his duties. He died in 1894, while his wife, surviving for a number of years, passed away in November, 1912.
George W. Coats is the second in a family of four children. He attended school in Nebraska for two terms and also continued his education at Hill City. At the age of about sixteen years he engaged in ranching on his father's place, assuming the responsibility of managing the. business and caring for the family. When seventeen years of age he entered the employ of the Harney-Peak Company and was engaged in mining for four years. He afterward became an employe in the gold mines of the J. R. Company and in the fall of 1895 discovered a mine which he developed but which he later sold. He then engaged in prospecting for a few years and in the spring of 1900 be purchased the hardware store of which he is now the proprietor, being associated in this undertaking with Charles Roland, who is mentioned elsewhere in this work. They are also the owners of an excellent ranch devoted to the raising of horses and they have mining property beside.
On the 26th of December, 1912, Mr. Coats was united in marriage to Miss Mae Oliver, who was born in northern Michigan, a daughter of Nicholas Oliver, who came to the Hills and was engaged in mining in the vicinity of Hill City until his death, which occurred about 1903. His widow survives and makes her home in Hill City. Mr. and Mrs. Coats have become the parents of two children: Roland Oliver, born August 16, 1913; and Marianna, August 11, 1914.
Mr. Coats is a member of the Elks lodge at Rapid City. In politics he is an independent emocrat, nor has he ever sought or desired office. He thoroughly knows the life f the west with the hardships and privations of pioneer times and the opportunities of a later day. Employing the advantages which have come to him, he has steadily worked his way upward in the business world of Hill City and is now regarded as one of the substantial citizens of Pennington county.
“History of Dakota Territory”, George W. Kingsbury, 1915
PATRICK BRYAN MCCARTHY
Patrick Bryan McCarthy, a capitalist of Rapid City, who has won notable success in mining operations and is now the sole, owner of the Tamarack Group in Pennington county, comprising over four hundred acres of land rich with gold-bearing ores, is a native of County Cork, Ireland, and a descendant of one of the most illustrious families of the
Emerald isle, tracing his ancestry in direct line back to Cormac McCarthy, famous in Irish history in connection with his ownership of Blarney Castle and estates. Our subject's father was Cornelius McCarthy and his mother Catherine (Bryan) McCarthy. The former died when his son Patrick was a lad of nine years and a year later the mother with her six children came to the United States, settling at Albion, Orleans county, New York. Patrick Bryan McCarthy, the third in order of birth in the family, received but limited educational privileges. He attended the public schools when opportunity offered and in later years has supplemented the knowledge thus gained by extensive reading and
observation, so that he is today a well informed man. Being one of the older members of the family, it was necessary for him to contribute to the support of his mother and his younger brothers and sisters. At the age of sixteen years he became a brakeman on the Niagara division of the New York Central Railroad, receiving a wage of one dollar and
thirty-seven and a half cents per day. He so continued from 1867 until 1S69 and then made his way westward to Grand Island. Nebraska, where he entered the Union Pacific Railway service as a locomotive fireman. Later he removed to North Platte and in 1S71 he was promoted to engineer, being the youngest engineer in the Union Pacific service and one of the youngest in the entire country. He soon developed into one of the expert engineers of the road and established records of efficiency and operating economy that stood for many years unexcelled. He had a number of narrow escapes from injuries or death and finally concluded that the hazards of the work were out of proportion to the remuneration so that he resigned in 1877.
Early in the same year Mr. McCarthy arrived in the Black Hills and mined for a time at Rockerville. In the latter part of 1878 he became a member of the firm of McGuire & McCarthy, engaged in the grain and hay business at, Rapid City. He had in the meantime become interested in a hotel property and in 1879 assumed the management of the International Hotel there which for many years afterward was one of the landmarks of the city and was. as well, the headquarters of the Northwestern Stage & Transportation Company, operating between Pierre and Black Hills points. It was the principal means of passenger travel in those days. Mr. McCarthy conducted the hotel until 1911, when the old structure was moved and its place taken by the Elks building.
Since first coming to South Dakota he has been largely interested in mining properties and is the sole owner of the Tamarack Group in Pennington county, comprising over four hundred acres of rich gold-bearing ores. His faith in the ultimate future greatness of South Dakota has led him to invest extensively in farm and ranch lands and he is also the owner of much valuable city real estate.
In politics Mr. McCarthy is a democrat and for many years has been a leader in both local and state circles of his party. He served as a member of the city council for several years and a part of the time as acting mayor. He turned the first sod at the beginning of the construction of the Crouch Line Railway and on the completion of the work drove the last spike. He has always been actuated by a public-spirited devotion to the general good and has cooperated in many important public movements, his efforts being at all times resultant. He is a member of the Pioneer Society of 1877 and his religious faith is that of the Catholic church.
On the 12th of October, 1886. Mr. McCarthy was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Horgan, a daughter of Joseph and Alice Horgan, of Custer county. South Dakota. Her father was a civil engineer by profession and before coming to America was a member of the British Royal Engineers. Mrs. McCarthy passed away September 6, 1903, leaving
three children, Grover Cleveland, Mary Alice and Catherine. The son is now in the United States revenue service with headquarters at Aberdeen, South Dakota. Mr. McCarthy has always been fond of outdoor life and is devoted to hunting and fishing. He is an enthusiast on everything that spells development and improvement and his support of any project looking to the advancement of civic, business or educational development of his city and the Black Hills country may always be relied upon. Progress and patriotism might well be termed the keynote of his character and have brought him to his present enviable position.
History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
MERLE A. D’A. McCAIN.
Merle A. D’A. McCain is a member of the McCain & Joyce Mercantile Company. They conduct a general store, including dry goods, hardware, farm implements, boots and shoes and general supplies. In addition Mr. McCain owns land and is engaged in the cattle business. His home is at New Underwood, Pennington county. He was born in Clarion county, Pennsylvania, August 23, 1873, his parents being Adam B. and Lucinda M. (Thompson) McCain, who were also natives of Clarion county, the former born April 22, 1822, and the latter on the 22d of February, 1828. The father always followed the occupation of farming although ho taught school for a number of terms in early life. In the spring of 1882 they left Pennsylvania and made their way to Adams county, Iowa, where they lived for one year. They removed to Pennington county, South Dakota, August 6, 1883, and established their home near the present site of the city of Underwood, although the town had not yet been established at that time. Upon a place seven miles west of the town site they spent their remaining days and the father engaged in ranching and in the live-stock business until death terminated his labors on the 11th of February, 1901. His widow survived and passed away in April, 1903.
Mr. McCain was the youngest of eleven children. He attended school near his home, coming in his boyhood days to South Dakota and was graduated with the class of 1895 from the Spearfish Normal School. Liberal educational training qualified him for life's practical and responsible duties and since starting out on his own account he has made wise use of his time, talents and opportunities. He remained with his parents until he attained his majority and then took charge of the home ranch, on which he continued until the spring of 1902. At that date he began clerking for I. H. Chase in a dry-goods store at Rapid City and worked his way upward in that connection, proving his capability and demonstrating his faithfulness. Eventually he was made manager of the store and continued there until February 1, 1910, when he removed to New Underwood and engaged in general merchandising on his own account, associated with his nephews. At length he and Mr. Joyce consolidated their interests and the business has since been conducted under the name of the McCain & Joyce Mercantile Company. They have a large general store, carrying an attractive line of goods that finds a ready sale upon the market. Their stock includes dry goods, hardware, farm implements, boots and shoes and general supplies. A liberal patronage is accorded them and their trade is growing along substantial lines. They have ever realised that satisfied patrons are the best advertisement and their customers are ever ready to speak a good word for them. Aside from his mercantile interests Mr. McCain is engaged in the cattle business and is the owner of a good tract of land. His interests are well managed, his enterprise is unfaltering and difficulties and obstacles in his path seem to call forth more earnest effort in the attainment of the goal for which he is striving.
On the 21st of June, 1899, Mr. McCain was married to Miss Mary E. Reynolds, who was born near Albia, in Appanoose county, Iowa, a daughter of Joseph and Susan (Gladfelder) Reynolds, both of whom were natives of Iowa. In 1684 they became residents of Bon Homme county, South Dakota and in 1889 went to Pennington, county, settling about eighteen miles northeast of New Underwood, where the father engaged in ranching and in the raising of live stock. For a considerable period he was actively identified with business there but is now living practically retired, he and his wife making their home at Forest Grove, Oregon. Mr. and Mrs. McCain have become parents of three children, Lucile, Kenneth B. and Winfield R., all at home. The parents are members of the Congregational church and Mr. McCain votes with the prohibition party. These two associations indicate the high principles which govern him in his conduct and he is at present serving as a member of the town board and does all in his power to further the legitimate interests of the community. His life commends him to the goodwill and confidence of those with whom he has been brought in contact, as his entire record measures up to high standards. In business affairs he is thoroughly reliable and straightforward and as he values character building more than the attainment of success he will not deviate from a course which he regards as right between himself and his fellowmen.
History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
WILLIAM P. BAKEN.
With scarcely an exception the county officials of Pennington county have been men of ability who have discharged their official duties efficiently and William P. Baken, the present sheriff of the county, is an excellent man for the place, fearless, capable and conscientious. He was born in Rossie, New York, on the 2d of May, 1868, and his parents were William P: and Catherine (McGreery) Baken, also natives of that state. Upon reaching years of maturity the father followed the trade of a carpenter and builder. He held a number of local offices in the Empire state and in 1872 removed to Park City, Utah, whence in 1889 he came to Hill City, Dakota. In the latter place ho engaged in mining until his death, which occurred in 1892 when he was sixty-two years of age. His father, Alanson Baken, was also born in New York, although his father was a native of England, whence he emigrated to America previous to the Revolutionary war. Our subject's maternal grandfather, Hugh McGreery, was a native of Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. William P. Baken, Sr., were the parents of seven children, of whom two survive.
Their son William P. is the third in order of birth. He attended successively the grammar and high schools of Salt Lake City and then worked in mines in Utah on the engineer's staff until 1886, in which year he removed to Idaho, where he was employed as a mining engineer until 1890, when he arrived in the Black Hills. He served as engineer at the tin mines of Hill City until 1893, when he removed to Keystone, where he held the position of engineer of mines for three years. For the next three years he was engaged in the drug business and in 1900 was elected clerk of court of Pennington county for two years. He resumed the drug business on the expiration of his term and was a member of the Baken-Davis Drug Company in Keystone until 1906, when he sold his share in the business. He was subsequently appointed game warden and deputy sheriff and in 1912 his excellent record in this connection was instrumental in winning him the election to the office of sheriff. In 1914 he was reelected to that position and is now serving his second term. He has proved very efficient in controlling the lawless element that is found in every community, and his record has gained him the approval of all good citizens.
On the 8th of January, 1906, Mr. Baken was united in marriage to Miss Nettie Oswald, a daughter of Charles and Augusta (Long) Oswald, of Rapid City. Mr. Baken is a Mason, an Elk and a Knight of Pythias. He enjoys shooting and fishing and spends not a little of his leisure time in that way. He still owns property in Keystone and is well-to-do. He has the respect of his fellow townsmen and his admirable traits of character have won him many warm personal friends.
History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
ORVILLE V. RINEHART.
Orville V. Rinehart, a resident of the Black Hills country since 1905, has important business and professional relations and is actively connected with various organized efforts looking to the further development of the state, its progress and the utilization of its natural resources. Both as an individual and as a public official he has had much to do with the work of general improvement and he is now aiding in directing the public policy of the state as representative from the forty-seventh district. He makes his home in Pennington county, not far from Rapid City. He was born in 1862 and is descended from Holland Dutch and Quaker ancestors, who on coming to America settled on the Hudson and Susquehanna rivers in the seventeenth century.
The boyhood days of Orville V. Rinehart were spent in Wisconsin and his early manhood in the states and territories along the Northern Pacific. He has lived in Montana and in the city of Minneapolis and first came to the Black Hills in 1894, taking up his permanent abode in this section of the country in 1905. His life has been an active one in the pursuits of surveyor, lawyer and rancher and it has been characteristic of Mr. Rinehart that he has carried forward to successful completion whatever he has undertaken, while each forward step in his career has brought him a broader outlook and wider opportunities that he has used for personal advantage along legitimate business lines and as well for the benefit of the state. He is now actively and financially interested in the Western Land Title & Trust Company and in the Van Daren Rinehart Ranches. His business interests and his public spirit have made him a close student of many conditions affecting the welfare of the state and he has labored to produce results which will work for the betterment of South Dakota, especially along the line of agricultural development. In this connection he is now serving as an officer of the South Dakota Irrigation Association and of the Western South Dakota Alfalfa Growers Association as well as of the Western Dakota Fair Association.
Mr. Rinehart has always given his political allegiance to the democratic party and in its local ranks he is an influential factor. Service in local offices has been followed by election to the state legislature, in which he is now representing the forty-seventh district, and with characteristic thoroughness he is giving earnest study to questions of vital importance to the commonwealth.
History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
EDGAR C. OLSON.
In all of his business career, progressive and successful as it has been, his has never been the command of the tyrant to go, but always the call of the leader to come, and thus Edgar C. Olson today occupies a conspicuous and enviable position in the commercial circles, not only of Sioux Falls, but of the northwest, being at the head of a company which owns a chain of clothing stores throughout this part of the country.
He is a native of Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, born April 6, 1874, his parents being Gabriel and Martha (Nelson) Olson. He was the seventh in order of birth in a family of three sons and five daughters, all of whom are yet living with the exception of the eldest son, John G., who died in 1004. The removal of the family in 1875 to Kasson, Minnesota, enabled Edgar C. Olson to there pursue his education in the public schools. He also attended high school at St. Paul, Minnesota, and spent three years as a student in a night school in that city in order to overcome what he regarded as a lack of early educational opportunities. He has ever been a student of life and in the school of experience he has learned many valuable lessons which he has put to good use.
Mr. Olson became a clerk in a clothing store in St. Paul in 1890, and there remained until 1900, when he went to Marshall, Minnesota, and in partnership with a brother, established a clothing store under the firm name of Olson Brothers. This was successfully
conducted for two years. In 1902 the firm of Olson Brothers opened a branch store at Brookings, South Dakota, which is still in operation and Edgar C. Olson continued in charge there until 1912, when he came to Sioux Falls, where the previous year he had been instrumental in organizing the firm of Olson, Delaney & Berdahl. This firm continued until July 15, 1913, at which time the business was taken over by the present E. C. Olson Company. Theirs is one of the leading clothing establishments, not only of the city, but also of this section of the country, and their store presents a most attractive appearance. The fixtures are of late design done in fumed oak. The big suit rack will accommodate twelve hundred men's and boys' suits and overcoats, and the stock includes clothing, hats, haberdashery and men's furnishings.
As the years have passed Edgar C. Olson has established business in various sections until he now has a chain of nine stores. The one at Watertown, South Dakota, established in 1907, which was conducted under the name of Olson-McCosham Company, is now under the name of The Olson-Lee Company. The business at Rapid City was started in 1909 and has always been conducted under the firm style of Olson & Company. M. G. Olson, brother of E. C. Olson, established stores at Montevideo, Minnesota; Wheaton, Minnesota; Sisseton, South Dakota, and Grand Forks, North Dakota. These are all owned by the E. C. Olson Company, together with the stores at Rapid City, at Brookings and at Sioux Falls. The business today is extensive, being one of the important commercial enterprises of the northwest and the capability, progressiveness and laudable ambition of E. C. Olson and his brother have constituted a substantial foundation upon which their success has been built.
On the 8th of January, 1905, at Brookings, South Dakota, Mr. Olson was united in marriage to Miss Callie T. Williams, a daughter of Edward Williams, and they have one son, Lyle Williams, born July 31, 1907. The parents are members of the Baptist church, while Mr. Olson belongs also to the Masonic fraternity, having taken the degrees of the York Rite and the Mystic Shrine. He is likewise connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and with the Commercial Club and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. While he is never neglectful of the duties of citizenship and in fact stands many times as a leader in support of public projects, he has never sought political preferment, giving to his business affairs that close attention which is largely the secret of success. He keeps in touch with the most modern commercial methods and conforms his interests to the highest requirements of commercial ethics.
History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
JOHN RICHARD BRENNAN.
It has been said that the Irish nation are the most successful colonizers among all the races of the world. There is in them an inherent power of leadership that brings them to the front and makes them upbuilders of the various localities in which they locate. These statements find verification in the life record of John Richard Brennan, hotel proprietor of Rapid City and for many years a prominent public official. He was born in Kilkenny, Ireland, May 22, 1848, his parents being Richard and Katherine (Sherman) Brennan, who on leaving Ireland in 1851 made their way to the new world with Wisconsin as their destination. They became pioneer settlers of Iowa and of Badax counties, residing at Highland, Iowa county, and at Reedsburg on the Kickapoo river, in Badax county, in the '50s.
John R. Brennan was but three years of age when brought to the new world by his parents and acquired his education by attendance at the public schools of Wisconsin between the years 1855 and 1863. Later he pursued a commercial course in the Bryant & Stratton Business College at St. Louis in 1867. In the meantime he had left home in 1865, going to Chicago, where be obtained a position in the old Adams House, thus making his initial step in connection with the hotel business, in which he continued to June, 1901. From 1865 until 1869 he held positions of responsibility and trust in the Newhall House of Milwaukee, in the Hyde Park Hotel of Chicago, in the Planters House and the Southern Hotel of St. Louts and in the St. Charles Hotel at Cairo, Illinois. In 1869 he removed to Kansas City, Missouri, having accepted the position of manager of the old Pacific House, where he remained until 1871, when he accepted a proffered position as manager of the American House at Denver, Colorado. Not long after his removal to that city he entered into partnership with E. W. Kibble and leased the American House, which he conducted as proprietor until 1875. In the fall of that year he started for the Black Hills, attracted by he opportunities which he beard existed in that section of the country. He arrived at the foot of Harney Peak in November and was one of the founders of what is now known as Palmer's Gulch. In connection with others he established the town of Rapid City, February 24, 1876, and was elected a member of its first board of village trustees, which position he filled with credit and honor. The town grew rapidly and along substantial lines and following its incorporation he was elected president of its first city council and has been prominent in its business and public affairs from that time to the present. In 1877 he was named the first postmaster of Rapid City and continued to administer the affairs of the office for nine years, during which period he served also as express, stage and Union Pacific agent, his connection with those offices extending over ten years. Another important public service performed by him covered four years as trustee of the Dakota School of Mines of Rapid City, with two years spent as president of its board.
Mr. Brennan's identification with hotel management and ownership in Rapid City began in 1876 and in the little frontier town his hostelry was a log cabin twelve by fourteen feet, containing but one sleeping room. This was the initial step and in 1878 was followed by the building of the American House, which he conducted for eight years. In 1886 he erected Hotel Harney, which he operated until July, 1901. Throughout the entire period he held to high standards of hotel service, equipment and conduct and made the Hotel Harney one of the popular hostelries in the western section of the state. His activity along hotel lines has also extended to the Pacific coast, for he was one of a company that furnished, fitted up and opened the Hotel Seattle at Seattle, Washington, in 1898, acting as assistant manager of the property for two years. In addition to his other interests he was a stockholder in the First National Bank of Rapid City and served as vice president of that institution in the early '90s. He was also a director and continued as a stockholder and official between the years 1884 and 1896, when he disposed of his interests. He is now the owner of a farm of five hundred and forty acres in Rapid Valley, two miles east of Rapid City, and his property holdings include valuable business and residence realty in Rapid City.
His activities have extended to various positions of public trust and the public welfare has been promoted through the prompt, faithful and efficient discharge of his duties. He was the first county superintendent of schools of Pennington county, filling the office in 1877 and 1878. He several times served as alderman of Rapid City in addition to the municipal offices previously mentioned and he was chief of the Rapid City fire department for several terms between 1880 and 1900, while through the same period he was president of the Black Hills Firemen's Association. In December, 1894, he was called to the office of state railway commissioner for South Dakota, his four years' term in that position ending in December, 1898. On the 1st of November, 1900, be became United States Indian agent, superintendent and special disbursing agent for the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, in which position he yet remains, covering a period of more than fourteen years and having seven thousand Ogallala Sioux Indians under his charge.
On the 22d of December, 1880, at Fredericktown, Ohio, Mr. Brennan was united in marriage to Miss Ada Jane Leedy, a daughter of J. M. Leedy, who removed to the Black Hills in 1876 and was among the first to settle at Rapid City. He was a veteran of the Civil war, enlisting from Ohio. Mrs. Brennan followed the profession of teaching in the Buckeye state until 1870, when she came to the Black Hills, making the trip from Yankton to Fort Pierre by boat and across to the Hills by ox train. She is the mother of two children: Paul, who wedded Miss Mary Brasch, of Sioux City, Iowa; and Ruth, who gave her hand in marriage to F. Web Hill, of Rapid City, South Dakota.
Mr. Brennan was reared a Catholic. The military chapter in his life history covers his attempted service as a soldier of Company H, Twenty-eighth Wisconsin Infantry. He enlisted at Highland, Wisconsin, in 1864 and was sent to Madison to be mustered in, but he was rejected because of his youth, as he was yet under eighteen years of age and did not have his parents' consent. His political allegiance is given to the republican party, which finds in him an unswerving and stalwart champion. He is perhaps most widely knows throughout the state, aside from his business connections, through his prominent identification with the Knights of Pythias. He became a charter member of Colorado Lodge, No. 1, K. P., which was instituted in 1872, and for two terms, in 1873 and 1874, he was chancellor of that lodge. While a member thereof he was appointed deputy supreme chancellor for Colorado, which position he filled until he resigned and removed to the Black Hills in November, 1875. Here he again came to prominence in Pythian circles, being appointed deputy supreme chancellor for the territory of Dakota in 1878. He is a past grand chancellor of Colorado and of Dakota and was a supreme representative from South Dakota in the supreme lodge of the world for three terms. He has now completed his forty-second year in the order and he is also a member of Elks Lodge, No. 1187, at Rapid City. His life has been strong in purpose, fruitful and beneficial in its results. His business affairs have gained him prominence and his official connections have marked him as one of the leading citizens of the Black Hills country. Rapid City largely stands as a monument to his enterprise, his energy and his progressive spirit. His record is in keeping with that of an ancestry honorable and distinguished, for the Brennans figured prominently in Irish history from the first settlement of the Emerald isle.
Who’s Who in South Dakota, Vol. 2
By O. W. Coursey
Educator School Supply Co., Publisher, 1916
Transcribed and Contributed by Jim Dezotell
J. B. GOSSAGE
"JOURNAL" MAN AND JOURNEYMAN
The laurels for the longest continuous service on a newspaper in this state, to date, must go to Joseph Brooks Gossage, of the "Rapid City Journal." He started the paper and got out the first issue on January 5, 1878; and at the time of this publication, 1916, he is still at the helm and is putting out one of the very best dailies in the state, thus giving to him over thirty-seven years of continuous service. Hats off! At the time he established the Journal, there were in that part of Dakota Territory which now comprises South Dakota but fifteen other papers. These were as follows as shown by Pettingill's Newspaper Directory:
Bon Homme Dakota Citizen: Thursdays; Independent; A. J. Cogan, publisher; established in 1877.
Canton Advocate: Wednesdays; republican; Carter Bros., publishers; circulation 350.
Canton Sioux Valley News; Saturdays; N. C. Nash, publisher.
Deadwood City Black Hills Miner, daily, except Mondays; democratic; W. D. Knight, publisher; circulation 800.
Deadwood Black Hills Pioneer; daily morning; and weekly, Saturdays; A. W. Herrick, publisher.
Deadwood Times, daily and weekly, Sundays; Porter Warner, proprietor, L. F. Whitbeck, editor.
Elk Point, Union County Courier ; Wednesdays; republican; C. F. Mallahan, publisher.
Sioux Falls Independent; Thursdays; independent; F. E. Everett, publisher.
Sioux Falls Pantagraph; Wednesdays; republican; Geo. M. Smith & Co., publishers; circulation, 580.
Swan Lake Era, Thursdays; independent; H. B. Chaffee, publisher.
Springfield Times; Thursday; republican ; L. D. Poore, publisher.
Vermillion Dakota Republican; Thursdays; Mrs. C. H. True, publisher;
Vermillion Standard; Thursdays; republican; L. W. Chandler, publisher.
Yankton Press and Dakotan; daily; evening and weekly; Thursdays; republican, Bowen & Kingsbury, publishers.
Yankton Dakota Herald; Saturdays, democratic; Taylor Bros., publishers; circulation, 1,056.
Where are these early editorial pioneers today? — these men, who, in the early days, when the buffalo yet roamed the plains and the Indians refused to heed the strong arm of the law, stood unflinchingly at their posts of duty, heralding praises of the west and sounded long and loud the eloquent tocsin of invitation to the east to come west and help to build an empire along the upper Missouri?
Ah ! their work is nearly finished. Most of them have climbed the golden rungs of Jacob's ladder
"From the lowly earth,
To the vaulted skies."
and they are enjoying the fellowship of Angeldom while they await the arrival of their contemporaneous writers. The state owes them a debt it can never pay. Silence their pencils in the long-gone years of our historic past and you would at once reduce Dakota to a semi-arid Indian region, peopled here and there by cattle rustlers and fugitives from justice. They deserve well.
Mr. Gossage, unlike most of our pioneer editors who came from "down east," is really a westerner. He was born at Ottumwa, Ia., May 19, 1852. His grandmother was the first white woman in Wapello county, having moved there before the treaty had been signed by the Indians surrendering it to the Whites.
His father died when Joe was nine years of age; the home was broken up and our lad, together with his mother and brother, went to live with his grandparents. He was a mischievous little rascal and absolutely refused to go to school. Therefore, his grandparents apprenticed him for five years in the "Courier" office at Ottumwa, to learn the printers' trade. The first year, he received the princely salary of $1.00 per week; the second, third and fourth years he got a raise each year of $1.00 per week. The fifth year he was made foreman and was raised twice. The first six months he got $5 per week, and the last six, $8 per week. Nevertheless when his "time was up" he had learned a substantial trade and was prepared for the conflict of life.
At 16 years of age, he went to Chicago, and worked for the large printing establishment of Rounds & James — afterwards Rounds & Kane. He remained with them for a year and then joined the force of the old "Chicago Republican." Here he staid for six months and then became identified with the National Printing Co., of Chicago. He was with them at the time of the big Chicago fire, and was receiving $35 per week. After the fire, he returned to Ottumwa, and once more became identified with the Courier — the old plant in which he had learned his trade.
CONTINUES TO ROVE
After tiring of the old haunts around Ottumwa, he struck out for Pekin, Ill., and went to work on the "Pekin Register." Intermingled with and antedating some of these experiences, he shot across the country to Sioux City, and assisted Caldwell and Stahl in getting out the first issue of the "Sioux City Journal," on April 12, 1870. Digressing momentarily, we beg leave to add that Caldwell, after many years at Sioux Falls, returned to Sioux City where he is and has been for some time, identified with the Journal, while Stahl went to Madison, this state, and established the "Madison Leader," which he still publishes.
Gossage went to Eldora, Ia., in the spring of 1872, and took charge of the "Eldora Herald." Its earning power had been misrepresented to him, so he threw it up in a few months and drifted over to Lincoln, Ill. Shortly thereafter his mother died at Ottumwa, Ia., and he started to attend her funeral, but the train was wrecked and he got there too late to take a "last look" at the dear old face.
After this experience he migrated to Marshalltown, Ia., and took charge of the "Marshalltown Times." At the end of six months he again pulled stakes and landed in Cedar Rapids, where he became identified with the "Cedar Rapids Republican."
Here he remained but a short time. In mid-summer, 1873, he struck west, landed in Omaha, and accepted a position in the "Omaha Republican" job office. However, in December of the same year, his roving spirit took possession of him and he strayed over to Sydney, Neb., and assumed control of the "Sydney Telegraph."
He owned and published the Sydney Telegraph for five years. Although he did not sell the plant until May, 1878, he had, nevertheless, five months before, gone to Rapid City, S. D., and established the "Rapid City Journal." He got out the first issue on January 5, 1878, and every succeeding issue since — a period of thirty-eight years and four months. Thus to him must go the distinction of the longest continuous service on the same newspaper, of any man in the state. Hackett, of Parker, enjoys the distinction of having been in the newspaper business in South Dakota longer than any other man — a period of forty years, but his continuous service on one paper lacks from January 5, 1878, to October 15, 1878, of matching that of Gossage.
At the time of establishing the Rapid City Journal, Gossage had been connected with twelve other newspaper plants. The Journal made his thirteenth. This proved to be his lucky number, and so he settled
The Journal was first a weekly, but on February 2, 1886, it was converted into a daily, in which form it is still maintained. A recent copy of the "Inland Printer" gives two photographic reproductions of the entire face page of the Journal, and it compliments Mr. Gossage very highly on the artistic appearance of the paper.
Too much credit can not be given to Mrs. Gossage for the part she has played in making the Journal what it is today. She was formerly Miss Alice Bower of Vermillion. Her tastes were naturally distinctly western. For twenty-eight years she has done editorial work on the paper and had charge of the business management. She is a keen writer, well balanced, and a lady of unusual business instinct.
In addition to his newspaper work, Mr. Gossage was a member of the old territorial board of trustees of the School of Mines, at Rapid City, having been appointed to the position by Territorial Governor Pierce.
Mr. Gossage's befriending old Sergeant Preacher, and the relationships established between the two, form a unique and pathetic story. Our next "Who's Who" article will, therefore, deal with Preacher.
History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
HON. FRED B. STILES.
Hon. Fred B. Stiles, a member of the state senate and a well known banker of Owanka, had the distinction during the legislative session of 1915 of being the youngest member of the general assembly in either house. He was born in Cherokee, Iowa, March 4, 1887, and was the third of the four children born of the marriage of Charles A. and Frances (Bailey) Stiles. The father is a native of Iowa and of English parentage, while the mother was born in Connecticut. Spending his youthful days under the parental roof at Cherokee, Fred B. Stiles attended the public schools and later spent a year as a student in the University of Iowa and two years in the University of Wisconsin. When his college days were over he entered the employ of a railway and telephone company and in 1909 removed to South Dakota, settling at Owanka, where he became identified with financial interests, a connection which has since been maintained. He is a stockholder in several telephone enterprises and his investments have been judiciously made. He seems to readily recognize the possibilities of any business situation and his sound judgment and energy are important factors in his success.
On the 10th of February, 1910, Mr. Stiles wedded Frances Kenney, of Cherokee, Iowa, and they have one child, Frances. Fraternally Mr. Stiles is connected with the Odd Fellows, the Elks, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Masons and in the last named he has taken the degrees of lodge and chapter and of the Scottish Rite to the thirty-second. He also belongs to the Kappa Sigma, a college fraternity. His political allegiance is stanchly given to the republican party and in 1914 he was elected on its ticket to the office of state senator, becoming the youngest member of either branch of the legislature, in which he took a prominent part, both in debates on the floor and in committee service. He has studied closely the vital questions and issues of the day and his opinions show comprehensive understanding of the questions under discussion. His recreation comes to him through outdoor sports and motoring constitutes a favorite source of pleasure. He is an enthusiastic advocate of the good roads movement and at all times stands for progress and improvement where the general interests of society will be conserved. In business he has prospered, in public life has steadily progressed and in social circles he displays the cordiality and geniality which render him popular.
History of Dakota Territory, George W. Kingsbury, Vol. 4, 1915
EDWARD H. WARREN.
Edward H. Warren, owner and editor of the Queen City Mail, published at Spearfish, was born in Horicon, Dodge county, Wisconsin, February 6, 1859, a son of James H. and Augusta B. (Horton) Warren. The father was born in Eden, Erie county, New York, September 4, 1820, and his wife's birth occurred in western Pennsylvania, March 12, 1831. In early life he went to Ohio and in 1845 removed to Wisconsin, settling near Milwaukee. He taught penmanship and other branches and also followed the trades of a carpenter and mason, but later in that year he returned to Ohio, where he took up the study of medicine. He also made several trips to the Allegheny mountains, gathering blazing star root and other herbs of medical value, which he took to Cincinnati and sold. Returning to Wisconsin, he settled in Dodge county, near Mayville, where he engaged in hunting, and sold deer skins, which were manufactured into mittens and gloves. He also gathered wild honey, for which he found a market, and in fact he resorted to every honorable method to secure a dollar and gain a start in life. In 1852 he entered the employ of the firm of Hamilton & Bishop, proprietors of a linseed oil mill, remaining thu6 employed for a year or more. In 1859 he established his home in Trempealeau county, Wisconsin. He remained for a year at Arcadia and in 1862 went to Eau Claire, where he worked for the Daniel Shaw Lumber Company as a sealer in the summer and as head millwright in the winter months.
There he continued until May, 1866, when he built a flatboat thirty-three feet long, twelve feet wide and three feet deep. With the family aboard the boat floated down to Dubuque, where they sold the boat and by rail proceeded to Iowa Falls and thence by team to Algona, Kossuth county. They took up their abode in an old log cabin south of Algona, where a number of months were spent, and later they became residents of Algona, where the father engaged in carpenter work. In 1866 he purchased a newspaper plant of Mrs. Read and without experience in that line of work began the publication of a paper, the Upper Des Moines. In order to make ends meet he found it necessary to work at his trade of building houses, plastering or laying brick, at all of which he was proficient, and he wrote his copy for the newspaper in the evenings. During the first year or two of his career as a newspaper publisher the only press which he had was one of the Washington type, the first one brought into Iowa. In 1868 he purchased a Ruggles job press at Fort Dodge, the first ever introduced in that county, and it did service until 1880. In 1870 the Upper Des Moines purchased a cylinder press and Mr. Warren went to Milwaukee and bought a Potter cylinder, which did good service until the Upper Des Moines ceased to exist as a separate business in 1902. When he settled in Iowa the nearest railroad was eighty miles distant and the entire country round about was sparsely settled. It was uphill work establishing a profitable newspaper, for at that time paper sold for from eight to twelve dollars per bundle. He served as postmaster at Algona, Iowa, for three years and as deputy United States revenue collector for three years. He was also county supervisor at Estherville, Emmet county, Iowa. At the time of the Civil war he attempted to enlist but because of physical disability was not accepted.
In the summer of 1888 he made his way to the Black Hills and in January, 1889, established the Queen City mail at Spearfish, conducting it as a daily paper for five years. The daily, known as the Daily Bulletin, was discontinued in August, 1894, but the weekly edition was published. Mr. Warren remained at Spearfish until the July prior to his death and was active in the management of the paper. He passed away August 31, 1895, and his wife died on the 8th of November, 1904. They were the parents of three children. Eliza L., who was born February 2, 1848, was married November 9, 1870, at Algona, Iowa, to Hugh Waterhouse and died in 1908. Robert B., born December 1, 1850, is engaged in the printing business in Spokane, Washington.
Edwin H. Warren, the youngest of the family, attended the public schools at Algona, Iowa, and when eighteen years of age, having previously learned the printer's trade under his father, was employed as foreman in the office of the Vindicator at Estherville, Iowa. He remained in that position for eighteen months and then returned to Algona, where he continued from January, 1880, until January, 1884. He was next at St. Paul on the Pioneer Press for several years, after which he again went to Iowa and established a paper at West Bend, Palo Alto county, where he continued for a year and a half. In July, 1888, he went to Rapid City, South Dakota, where he was connected with the Daily Republican until with his father he established the Queen City Mail at Spearfish. He has been continuously engaged in the publication of this paper since that time except for a period of three years following the sale of his plant, and he was also out of the business while in the county auditor's office. He repurchased the plant and is now actively engaged in the publication of this paper, which he publishes in a substantial building that he owns. He now devotes his entire time to the Mail and has made it a very readable and attractive journal.
On the 15th of July, 1881, Mr. Warren was united in marriage to Miss Flora C. Bates, who was born July 1, 1860, in the southeastern part of Iowa, a daughter of O. C. and Mary (Sweeting) Bates, the former a native of western Pennsylvania and the latter of Michigan. The father was a newspaper man and went to Iowa long prior to the Civil war. Until 1885 he was continuously enaged in newspaper work at various points in Iowa. He removed from that state to Atkinson, Nebraska, where he resided until about 1900 and then came to South Dakota. He is now living retired and spends most of his time in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Warren. His wife passed away in Aberdeen, South Dakota in 1912. He was at one time a postmaster in Iowa. To Mr. and Mrs. Warren have been bom three children. James R., born June 19, 1882, and now serving as deputy postmaster at Spearfish, married May 9, 1903, Olive May Packard, of Sturgis, who was born in 1882. They have one child, Russell Edward, born February 22, 1904. Nellie G., born January 2, 1886, is a graduate of the Normal School at Spearfish and is now superintendent of schools for Lawrence county, South Dakota. Hazel, born January 3, 1890, was graduated on the completion of a special course in domestic science from the Spearfish State Normal School.
Mr. Warren belongs to the Masonic fraternity, holding membership in the lodge and chapter. He has served through all of the chairs in the former and for two terms was master of the blue lodge. He was also junior deacon pro tem of the grand lodge in Pierre, and at Huron was appointed junior warden. In 1897 he was appointed senior warden at the grand lodge in Mitchell. He took his first degree of the chapter in 1901, was exalted in January, 1902, was elected scribe in 1906 and served for two years, afterward filled the office of king for one year, then high priest for one year, and in 1912 received the degree of high priesthood at the grand lodge in Deadwood. There is no duty too arduous for him to undertake to advance the cause of Masonry and he exemplifies in his life the beneficent spirit of the craft. He is also connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Owls. Politically a stalwart republican, he served for two terms in the state legislature during the sessions of 1899 and 1901. He was also county auditor of Lawrence county for two years and was a member of the board of education of Spearfish for two years. His interest in public affairs is deep and sincere and he cooperates heartily in all measures and movements which he deems of benefit and value to the community and to the commonwealth. His life has been a busy and useful one fraught with activity in business and in behalf of public interests and his labors have been productive of good results.
History of South Dakota, Vol. 2
by Doane Robinson
B. F. Bowen & Co., Publisher
Contributed by Jim Dezotell
HUGH L. BROWN, of near Vesta, is a native of Fulton county, Illinois, born on January 23, 1840, and while he was yet a child the family moved to Bond county, the same state, where he received his early education. Later another move was made to the vicinity of Rockford, and soon afterward another to Monroe, Wisconsin, where the father engaged in farming. Here the son completed his education and on leaving school worked with his father on the farm. In January, 1862, when the Civil war was drenching our country with blood, he enlisted in the Thirty-first Wisconsin Infantry, and in that regiment he served to the close of the war. He then returned to Wisconsin and again engaged in farming near Monroe, continuing his operations there until 1872, when he settled in Sac county, Iowa, where he was occupied in farming until the spring of 1885. At that time he came to South Dakota and located at Pierre, then a fort or military post. There during the summer he conducted a feed store, handling hay and grain, In the fall he moved to Rapid City, and the next spring took up a pre-emption claim on Box Elder creek. While improving his land and making it habitable he continued to live at Rapid City, conducting a hotel there. Early in 1888 he settled on his land on the creek, thirty-five miles from Rapid City, and began pushing its development with vigor, subsequently increasing his acreage by taking up a timber and a homestead claim, the three properties adjoining. Since then he has continued to live on this land, and has devoted his energies to its cultivation and the rearing of stock. In both he has been very successful, winning a competence by the systematic application of intelligence and enterprise, and he has also risen to prominence and influence among his fellow men by his breadth of view and ardent devotion to the welfare and advancement of his community. In political faith he is an earnest supporter of the Republican party, but he is not an office seeker, nor does he subordinate the general weal to any personal or factional interest.
On March 30, 1867, Mr. Brown was united in marriage with Miss Eliza Michael, a native of New York, who moved with her parents to the neighborhood of Baraboo, Wisconsin, when she was but five years old. In that region she was reared and educated, and at Baraboo was married. They have two children, Carrie P., now the wife of Joseph Waterson, and Dora E., who is married to Jeremiah Crowley.
BERRY, Ellis Yarnal
Ellis Yarnal Berry, a Representative from South Dakota; born in Larchwood, Lyon County, Iowa, October 6, 1902; attended Philip (S.Dak.) High School; student in Morningside College, Sioux City, Iowa, 1920-1922; was graduated from the law school of the University of South Dakota at Vermillion in 1927; was admitted to the bar the same year and commenced the practice of law in Kennebec, Lyman County, S.Dak., and at McLaughlin, Corson County, in 1929; served as State’s attorney, mayor of McLaughlin, and judge of Probate Court, Corson County, 1931-1939; publisher of the McLaughlin Messenger since 1938, McIntosh News and Morristown World since 1952; delegate to State Republican Conventions in 1934, 1936, and 1938; editor of the State Bar Association Journal 1938-1950; member of the State senate in 1939 and 1941 legislative sessions, and legislative assistant to the Governor during the 1943 session; member of the Missouri River States Committee, 1940-1943; member of the State Board of Regents of Education, 1946-1950; elected as a Republican to the Eighty-second and to the nine succeeding Congresses (January 3, 1951-January 3, 1971); was not a candidate for reelection in 1970 to the Ninety-second Congress; was a resident of Rapid City, S.Dak., until his death there on April 1, 1999.
Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present; contributed by A. Newell.
©2008 Genealogy Trails