Roberts County History
1885 Historical Article
Compiled by O. H. Holt, transcribed by Karen Seeman
This county lies on the eastern border of the Territory, in the first tier of counties west of the Minnesota State line, and contains an area of about 1,350 square miles. It was formed, principally, from the Sisseton and Wahpeton Indian reservation. About three-fourths of the area is drained by the Minnesota river, and the remainder by Lake Traverse and the Red river. The county boundary on the east runs through the centre of Lakes Traverse and Big Stone for a distance of fifty miles, the former being practically the head of Red river, and the latter of Minnesota river.
Three lines of railroad extend through portions of the county, viz.: two branches of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, and the Fargo & Southern Railway.
The lands are well adapted for agricultural and grazing purposes. The Reservation, which, as above stated, includes most of the area of the county, contains about 1,806 Indians, who are rapidly becoming civilized. The Indians have nearly 5,000 acres of land under cultivation. There is a Government manual labor boarding-school on the reservation, in which about seventy-five Indian children are taught; there are also two other schools, besides six churches, the latter being presided over by native preachers.
Travare, Wilmot and White Rock are the principal towns, the first-named being the county seat. It is situated near the Minnesota State line, and is about two miles distant from the railroad. Wilmot, near the south line of the county, is the largest town, and is well situated for trade.