South Dakota

Spink County South Dakota


from "Dakota", 1885, Compiled by O. H. Holt


Spink Connty Herald, Rep........Ashton

Record.................................. Doland

Spink County Spy, Ind.........Frankfort

Advocate........................... Frankfort

Tribune, Rep.........................Mellette

Advance, Ind......................Northville

Dakota Dispatch, Ind............Redfield

Dakota Sun, Rep................. Redfield

Journal, Rep........................ Redfield


The Abilene Reflector (Abilene, KA), September 6, 1883, page 2
A STEAM engine attached to a threshing machine exploded in a grain field, six miles north of Frankfort, D. T., instantly killing W. Bonnell, Clarence Reed, Geo. Strom and an unknown man, and injuring five other, four of whom were in critical condition.
Transcribed by GT Transcription Team

The Redfield Press Thursday, July 28,1927

Baldwin Hospital

Mrs. Nettie Nichols who underwent a serious operation two weeks ago is making a very satisfactory recovery.

Mrs. Quentin Robbins was admitted to the hospital July 25 where she underwent a minor operation she was dismissed the 25th.

Earl Evans of Kansas City who was struck by a passing auto was brought to the hospital the 25th for medical care the accident occurred near Duxbury at eleven o'clock at night and the man was not discovered until the next morning and suffered from exposure.

Mrs. Jay Ames of Rockham was admitted to the hospital for medical care July and returned to her home today.

  Born to Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Leonard twin boys July 24.  The babies weighed 4 1/4 and 4 1/2.  Mother and babies are doing nicely.

  Bert Roberts of Frankford was brought to the hospital suffering with a broken ankle caused by an accident on the John Kutzke farm while making hay.

  Betty Beckman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Beckman was admitted to the hospital Wednesday July 27th for a toncil [sic] operation which proved very successful.

  Mary Maxwell daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Maxwell underwent an operation for the removal of her toncils [sic] Wednesday and was taken to her home today feeling quite releived. [sic]

  James Sickels of Tulare was a patient at the hospital being admitted July 19th and was dismissed the 24th.

  Durward Stubbs the 11 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Stubb [sic] of Frankfort who met with a very painful accident when an explosive which he held went off and mangled three fingers which were later amputated.  The operation was performed at the hospital and the boy is doing nicely.

  Raymand [sic] Sanger of Rockham son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Sanger was brought to the hospital Tuesday suffering from an accident when he was kicked by a horse breaking four teeth and lacerating his lip which necessitated three stitches.  The little boy was thrown through a fence and also had a cut in his left arm that required several stitches.

The Evening Huronite, Huron, S.D.
Thursday, April 20, 1933


Redfield, April 20 -- (Special) -- The following sentences were issued to the trio that were captured this week for transporting intoxicating liquor by Judge Fisher at Miller yesterday afternoon: Dessie Allen, 45 days in county jail and $250 fine; Jacob Weirich, 60 days in county jail and $350 fine and costs; Floyd Vaningan, five months in county jail and $500 and confiscation of his Ford coupe. Time sentences started yesterday in the Spink county jail.

Aberdeen Daily American, Aberdeen, South Dakota
Thursday, November 19, 1914

Attorney H. H. Kerns of Tracy, Minn., a former resident of this county was in the city the latter part of the week renewing old acquaintances and looking after some business matters.
Mrs. J. H. Parrott met with a very serious and painful accident Monday noon, while she was preparing dinner the water front of the range exploded demolishing the stove and throwing the steam and hot water scalding Mrs. Parrott about the body and limbs. She is getting along as well as could be expected and it is hoped that no complications will set in.
Tom Lyons, a member of the Lyons Bros real estate firm of Aberdeen, spent Wednesday and Thursday in the city visiting his brothers Barney and Dan.
Orlie Hendrickson spent Sunday in Aberdeen the guest of his sister Miss Francis, who is a student at the Normal school of that city.
Miss Hilda Neilson left last week for Clark to make an extended visit with her sister who resides there.
Mr. and Mrs. V. A?. Ford moved the latter part of the week into their cottage on west Franklin avenue, which they recently purchased from J. B. Emery.

Aberdeen Daily American, Aberdeen, South Dakota
Thursday, November 19, 1914


Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Mariner came up from Redfield Sunday morning and went out to Mrs. Anna Harmond's where they spent the day, returning home in the evening accompanied by Miss Marguerite Clark, who came up from Redfield Saturday morning and spent the week end at the home of her aunt, Mrs. R. B. Peterson.
Mrs. E. C. Rush returned from Brentford Monday morning where she had been for a few days visiting her granddaughter Mrs. Roy Hartranft and husband.
H. P. Scott of Lennox, S.D, visited his daughter Mrs. A. C. Tilgner and family a few days recently.
C. W. Elson was a passenger Monday to St. Joseph, Mo., to visit a daughter living there.
Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Clark were passengers to Aberdeen Wednesday where Mrs. Clark entered the St. Luke's hospital for an operation. She was operated on Wednesday morning and is reported as doing nicely.
Dr. W. R. Bates, the family physician of Mrs. W. R. Clark motored to Aberdeen Wednesday morning and was in attendance at the operation.
Mrs. K. D. Young and father Mr. Sam Bishop drove out to Mrs. Young's daughter's, Mrs. Cal Roth, Tuesday and spent the day.
Mr. and Mrs. George Wilhelm and Dr. and Mrs. J. J. Deertz motored up from Ashton Thursday afternoon and visited friends. Friday Dr. and Mrs. Deertz left for Cody, Wyo., where they will reside for the future on a ranch with their daughter and her husband, Mr. and Mrs. C. B. Ehman.
Messrs. Edd and Charles McComb, their sister Mrs. Sarah Thompson and the little boy living with them, Floyd McComb, left Monday morning for Seneca Castle, N. Y., to spent the winter visiting relatives.
Word came to friends Friday of the sudden death of Frank Shield Friday morning at his home near Athol.
Word came to the relatives Friday of the death of James Curtin at his home at Boulder, Colo. Friday morning. Mr. Curtin was well known here having come here and located in 1882 and shortly after was married to Miss Sarah Martin, only daughter of Rev. and Mrs. Martin, Rev. Martin being the pastor of the Wesleyan church at that time. Mr. Curtin was at one time register of deeds in Spink county and later was in the mercantile business in Northville for several years. About nine years ago he moved to Boulder and has resided there since. He leaves a wife, three daughters, Misses Zella, Elma and Fey, and one son. The family have the sincere sympathy of their old acquaintances here.
Mr. and Mrs. Joe Joint motored in from their home southwest of town Saturday evening to meet their daughter, Miss Alice Joint, who came down from Aberdeen where she is attending the Normal to spend the week end at her home.
Mrs. John Weber and two little girls returned from Aberdeen Sunday evening where they had been visiting Mrs. Weber's mother, Mrs. Anna Kyle since Saturday noon.


Aberdeen Daily American, Aberdeen, South Dakota
Thursday, November 19, 1914


Mrs. Lily Beauchanan went to Redfield Saturday on business. Miss Delphine Kegler attended the post-office during her absence.
Mrs. Harper, a sister of Mrs. Fran Shields came Saturday to attend the funeral services of Frank Shilds [sic], who died Thursday morning about 4 o'clock of heart disease.
Mrs. Jennie McKneff has been having quite a siege of rheumatism.
Earl Price has moved out on his farm and will try farming the coming year. Mrs. Lucy Bowers is living in their house for the winter.
Mrs. Hines and daughter, Jessie, were trading in Redfield Saturday.
A sister of Frank Shields arrived Saturday evening to attend the funeral services of her brother who died Thursday morning very sudden. The funeral services were held Monday at two o'clock and the remains were laid to rest in the Athol cemetery.

Aberdeen Weekly News, Aberdeen, South Dakota
Friday, April 15, 1887, p. 1


Redfield, April 11. [Special] -- Ira Mattice, a farm hand aged about 35 years and single, employed by Capt. A. L. Lott, four miles north of this city, committed suicide this morning by striking himself with a heavy hammer on the head. He has for some time been considered partially insane and a verdict to this effect was rendered by the coroner's jury. He has one sister living at North Williamsburgh, Ont., Miss Charlotte Mattice, and another, Mrs. Ellen Hosking, living in Jamestown, California.

A dispatch from La Crosse, Wis., says that O. G. Sisson, a wealthy retired farmer of Redfield, S.D., who went to La Crosse to attend the funeral of his brother, O. S. Sisson, a leading Grand Army man, was attacked with apoplexy and died yesterday. Mr. Sisson was 65 years of age and up to the time he was stricken had never been ill. He was a veteran of the civil war and a leading citizen of Redfield.

Aberdeen Daily News (Aberdeen, SD) - Friday, January 31, 1908

SOURCE: Faulk County Record, Thursday, August 11, 1892, Page 5
Contributed by Harold Way

After five years of successful academic and college work calls the attention of the young people of the state to her increased facilities for thorough school work at least possible cost. Railroad fare is from $5.00 to $20.00 less than to the other college in the state for students in the northern half. Board in the college building will be at cost not exceeding $2.25 and probably less. Clubs in the city the past year have been run at from $1.50 to $2.00 per week and will continue the ensuing year. The faculty has been increased and with the return of Prof. E. K. Eyerly from a year's work in Germany, it makes one of the strongest in the northwest. Courses comprise classical, scientific and philosophical, college and preparatory studies, also normal and business courses. Exceptional advantages for music students, instrumental and vocal. Tuition $10.00 per term. Music extra. Fall term begins September 21st and closes December 3rd. Winter term begins January 4th. For further information address the secretary, J. E. Robinson, Redfield, S. D.

Weekly State Spirit And Dakota Huronite
Aug. 12, 1909


Mrs. Henry Kuckerham has gone to Minneapolis with their daughter Ruth, who is to be operated on for appendicitis.

SOURCE: Aberdeen Daily News, June 2, 1887
Contributed by Harold Way

What A News Man Saw Down the Line.

Boarding the south bound Northwestern train we reached Northville at 9:11 yesterday morning. This is one of the many good town for which Dakota is noted. It has a fine farming country right at its very door, its business men are a good natured sort of people who sell goods whenever they have a customer, and customers are numerous; just why this place is called Northville we could not discover unless it was because it is north of all the towns south of it. At a distance of twenty-two feed good water is found and there is an abundance of it.

E. F. Clark is kept busy dealing out pure drugs and medicines. John Bushell is the editor of the Advance, a readable paper that is receiving a goodly support.

The Michigan house is presided over by E. C. H. Smith and wife. If the meals we got outside of is any indication of the regular bill of fare the people of Northville are to be congratulated upon having a hotel of which any town might be proud.

J. B. Speers, the well known breeder of fine horses, trotted out some of his stock for our inspection. The animals are all in fine condition and have pedigrees that place them among the best of blooded stock. He will have his stock at the next exhibition of the Brown county Agricultural Association in Aberdeen.

G. C. Britton does a general land office business, W. B. Webb sells hardware, Banker Bissell takes care of the cash. G. L. Harrington disposes of car loads of drygoods, J. M. McPerrin keeps a general store, Lawyer Sterling pleads for his clients and there are other business represented of which mention will be made in our next.

At a trial held in one of the neighboring townships recently on a violation of the local option law the witness swore that he only drank "snake creek water," and no corss-examination could make him call it anything else. Before many days the citizens of Northville will have another visit from Tom.

The Aberdeen American (Aberdeen, South Dakota) 07 Sep 1909


Bounces Man From Redfield Saloon and Man Begins to Shoot

Redfield, Setp. 6 -- Saturday about 9:30 Joseph F. Joyce was shot at by a hobo and narrowly escaped with his life. The tramp came into the Senate saloon there and started to swear and cuss around when he was ordered out but refused to go. Mr. Joyce threw him out and when the man got out of the door he drew a revolver and shot at Joyce, the bullet tearing through his apron, missing his abdomen by the smallest margin, and broke a large hole in the wine case across the room. The fellow was immediately arrested.

Aberdeen American (Aberdeen, South Dakota) 05 May 1914

Redfield News

Social Events:

The Dorcas society of the Norwegian Lutheran church will meet at the home of Mrs. J. H. Mork Thursday afternoon of this week. The ladies will serve a 15-cent lunch from 5 to 6:20 p.m.

Sick List:

Mrs. P. G. Anderson of this city has been a patient at the Smith Hospital for the past week on account of a case of blood poisoning caused by the barb of a Russian thistle that entered her finger which became infected and necessitated the amputation of part of the finger.

Jacob Spencer, the aged father of Mrs. R. J. Hutchins, is seriously ill with an attack of heart trouble at the home of his daughter in this city.

Miss Elsie Laughlin, the seventh grade teacher of the publich school was confined to her home by illness the fore part of the week.

Mrs. Paul Ehrich and Miss Emma Ehrich of Rockham were in the city Friday visiting with their sister, Miss Marth Ehrich who is still a patient at the Smith hospital.


J. F. Hill, proprietor of the Marlow theatre, left on a short business trip to Pierre Wednesday morning.

William Dawson has accepted a position with a gasoline tractor company of Minneapolis, and is now at Salem in the interest of his firm.

Pat Werth, a retired farmer, now living at Frankfort was in the city Tuesday on business.

Joe Joyce returned to his home at Faith, South Dakota the fore part of the week after several days visit with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. M. Jo(y)ce of this city.

Aberdeen (SD) Daily News, Tuesday, Aug 18, 1914

Dick Fausel, a corpulent citizen of Redfield, who owns to 288 pounds in weight, had an encounter with his automobile the other day, when the thing shoved him clear through a barbed wire fence and he was scratched and bruised and shaken up in a manner most annoying. But it might have been worse. A week before the accident Fausel is said to have weighed 310 pounds. Then he started to "reduce" and had got down to 288 pounds when he met with the accident.

Aberdeen (SD) Weekly News, Thursday, April 27, 1916

A Milwaukee freight train two miles from Ashton struck a soft spot in the track and seven freight cars left the track.

Aberdeen (SD) Weekly News, Thursday, April 27, 1916

Dr. J. Deertz, for many years a physician at Ashton, has purchased a drug store at Brentford, and will remove to that town, where he will practice his profession and operate the drug store.

Aberdeen Daily American, Friday, April 30, 1915


Miss Elsie Dreblow returned to her home at Lebanon Thursday morning after spending the past six weeks here and at Aberdeen visiting relatives and friends.  She was accompanied by her grandmother, Mrs. Wm. H. Sutton, who will make an extended visit there and at Brookings before returning home.

F. G. Perry is suffering with the erysipelas on his face this week.

The epidemic of measles which has flourished in Mansfield and vicinity for some time past, has indications of letting up as nearly every one that had not had them before had them at this time and about all are able to return to school.

C. D. Wilson was a passenger to Aberdeen Sunday and brought his wife and little son home.  The one was operated upon at St. Luke's hospital about three weeks ago.

Michael Ryman suffered a severe stroke of paralysis Saturday night.  Dr. Pickering was called and he is resting as easy as could be expected.  He is at the home of his son Casper Ryman.

Mrs. J. C. Ryman came down from Aberdeen Monday evening, called by the serious illness of her brother-in-law, Mr. Michael Ryman.

(from Orient News)

Rev. Ernest Holgate died Thursday night, April 22, at his home in Redfield, where he was pastor of the M. E. church the past two years.  He had been in poor health for some time but no one thought the end was so near.  Mr. Holgate was formerly pastor of the Faulkton-Orient charge and made many warm friends where here who greatly regret his early demise and whose hearts go out in sympathy to Mrs. Holgate and little sons in their great bereavement.


Ralph Watkins has been sick the past week with stomach trouble.

Born, to Mr. And Mrs. Fred Spelker, a nine and a half pound boy, Tuesday, April 20.

George Bowker returned from Minneapolis Monday morning where Mrs. Bowker recently upderwent an operation.  He reports her rapidly regaining her strength and expects her home soon.

Misses Edithe Hurst, Willie Small, Geneva Versteeg and Eulaine Breene attended teachers meeting at Redfield Saturday.


Mrs. M. J. Twiss and little son Woodrow had been spending a few days with her parents, John Groffs.

Mrs. Dan Kelley is entertaining her sister Miss Mary Watson, of St. Paul.

Mrs. Roy Hollenbeck went to Rockham Friday morning to visit her mother who is very sick.

Harry Hess came to Athol Saturday evening to visit at his sister's, Mrs. H. Bennett's, over Sunday.

A nurse came down from Aberdeen Saturday evening and went out to Graff's.  Mr. Graff is very sick.

08 Jul 1909 Aberdeen American

Mansfield News

Mrs. Frank Dickinson and children of Ordway were down last Wednesday visiting Mrs. Dickinson's mother, Mrs. Lyman.

Mrs. J. T. Arnott and daughter Eva went to Mellette Saturday evening to attend a wedding of their niece, Miss Clara Shepard and Ray Spink Monday at the home of the bride's mother, one mile south of Mellette.

Miss Jessie Stockwell is back at her old place attending telephone and helping Mrs. F. L. Freeman in general.

Last Saturday Bert Neigler's team ran away while they were left in the lumber yard.  In trying to stop the team Bert was thrown under a horse and run over by the horse and wagon, bruising his limb and cutting his face quite badly.

Miss Matie Stephens and Joe Hampton were married Wednesday evening at the home of the bride.  Only the immediate relatives were present.  Miss Matie has grown from childhood here and is a general favorite with all.  The past year she has been holding a claim near Rapid City where she made the acquaintance of Mr. Hampton who is a fit companion for the bride.  Their many friends extend heartiest congratulations and best wishes for their future.

Albert Luzshow died at his home one mile east of Duxbury last Thursday.  He had been in poor health for seven years and his death was not unexpected.  The funeral was held at the home Sunday and the interment was made at the Mellette cemetery.  He leaves a father, four brothers and three sisters to mourn his loss.

Flore Stephens left Thursday morning for White Water, Wis., to attend summer school.  She came home to attend the wedding of her sister, Matie.

Elva Wilson and John Larson were married at Aberdeen Tuesday.  Miss Elva is well known in this vicinity and is a very popular young lady.  John Larson is a prosperous young farmer and their many friends extend their heartiest congratulations and best wishes for their future.

08 Jul 1909 Aberdeen American

William McNames and granddaughter, Blanche McNames drove down from Aberdeen last Thursday.  Blanche will spend a few weeks visiting relatives and friends before returning to her home.

G. T. .Wescott and granddaughter, Ethel Holmes, left Sunday evening for Aberdeen to take in the circus.  Ethel returned Monday evening but Mr. Wescott will visit in Aberdeen for a  few days.

Mrs. L. R. McGarry and son Donald returned home Saturday evening.  Mrs. McGarry has visited relatives at Brookings, Volga, Gettysburg, and Lebanon during her absence.  Clifford Shanbarker of Lebanon, a nephew, came home with Mrs. McGarry to spend the summer.

Ed Shanbarker and wife came up from Gettysburg Monday to attend the circus and visit relatives at Mansfield.  Mrs. Shanbarker is a daughter of Mrs. William Sutton.  They returned home Tuesday evening.


Miss Dora Siebrasse came home Friday night from Aberdeen to go to Armadale the Fourth.  She had the misfortune to cut her hands quite severely Saturday morning while opening a can which will compel her to remain at home some time.  She has been assisting Mrs. J. L. Buxton at Aberdeen with her household work.

29 May 1914 Aberdeen American

Harold, the 3-year-old son of Mr. And Mrs. Frank Chichester of Redfield, died as the result of injuries received when a motorcycle toppled over.  While playing, he climbed upon the machine, causing it to fall upon him.  Death resulted from internal injuries.

14 Apr 1915 Aberdeen American

Northville News

Misses Lois and Clia Thompson returned to their school duties Monday after spending a part of their vacation at their home here.

Mrs. John Weber and children returned from Aberdeen Monday evening, where they had been spending a week with her mother, Mrs. J. H. Kyle.

Mrs. Will Francis and children came up from Ashton Tuesday to attend the funeral of her father-in-law, Rush Francis, which occurred on Thursday.

A little daughter came to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Z. P. Muster on Tuesday, April 6.

Mrs. Bates came in from Wecota Monday evening to visit her son and his wife, Dr. and Mrs. W. A. Bates, for a few days.

News reached here the first of the first of the week of the death of Rush Francis of Portal, N. D., which had been expected daily for several weeks.  His son W. H. Francis of Ashton and daughter, Mrs. A. M. Taylor, had been at Portal helping to care for him for some weeks.  Mr. Francis came to South Dakota in 1883, and was a resident of Northville township for several years, moving to Portal, N. D., in 1902, and residing there until his death, April 4  The remains were brought to Northville Wednesday and funeral services were held Thursday afternoon at the home of his daughter, Mrs. A. M. Taylor, Rev. L. F. Brown officiating, after which he was laid to rest in the Northville cemetery by the side of his eldest son, Herman, who died some years ago.  He leaves to mourn his loss a wife, one son, W. H. Francis, of Ashton, and two daughters, Mrs. E. P. Overby of Brentford, and Mrs. A. M. Taylor of Northville, besides a host of friends.

Mrs. E. P. Overby and little daughter, Amber, came over from their home near Brentford Tuesday and remained until after the funeral of her father, Rush Francis, which occurred on Thursday.  Mr. Overby came over on Thursday and also Mr. John Overby and sons.

06 April 1922 Aberdeen Daily News

Among out of town visitors attending the Shriners Ceremonials, which are being held in the city today are three brothers, and all doctors.  They are: Dr. C. A. Seemann, of Tulare, Dr. H. J. Seemann, of Rockham, and Dr. F. A. Seemann of Sioux City, Iowa.  They were accompanied by their wives. 

A fourth brother, also a doctor, living in Iowa was unable to reach the city for the Shrine doings, on account of his business duties.

The Aberdeen Weekly News Friday, March 25, 1910

Northville News

R. A. Hatten, George Stevens and Jack Halpenny left last Monday night for Montana.

Mrs. George Fink of Victoria is visiting her daughter, Mrs. S. E. Boettcher.

Mrs. W. R. Clarke and daughter left Wednesday evening for Augusta, Wis., to visit her parents.

Miss Edna Hoag left for Minneapolis on the M. & St. L. Monday evening, where she will enter the hospital to take up the nurses' course.

Mrs. Bernice Hatten left for Lemmon Monday, where she has accepted a position as a stenographer in a land office.

Ray Brown and LeRoy Perry left for Montana Monday.


Copyright © Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor