Spink county lies in the centre of the James River Valley, midway between the Minnesota State line and the Missouri river, and contains about 1,512 square miles, or 967,680 acres.
The principal streams are the James and Turtle rivers and Snake creek. Several small lakes are scattered about the surface.
The land is generally level, with a soil of rich loam and a clay subsoil. The county is settled principally by people from the Western States. Spink is one of the largest counties in Dakota ; excellent railroad facilities are furnished by two branches of the Chicago & North-western and a branch of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul. With a population of nearly 10,000, with sixteen churches, eighty-five school houses, twelve newspapers, and all of these evidences of civilization and development taking place within five years, it is not surprising that Spink county is regarded as having experienced a truly phenomenal growth.
Redfield is located on high prairie land on the east bank of Turtle creek, near its confluence with the James river. The three railroads, already mentioned, intersect at this point The city has flourishing schools, churches and manufactories, three newspapers, extensive lumber interests, two banks, and many prosperous business houses.
Frankfort, Athol, Ashton and Crandon are important towns, all upon lines of railroad, and are surrounded by rich agricultural lands.
HISTORY OF Southeastern Dakota, Its Settlement and Growth,
Sioux City Iowa: Western Publishing Company, 1881
transcribed by Karen Seeman
This county, which lies west of Clark, is destined in the progress of events to take rank as one of the most prosperous of the counties described in this work. It is one of the richest portions of the famous "Jim" River Valley, and is attracting immigration at a rate which would greatly astonish the staid inhabitants of the East. The county was named in honor of the late Hon. S. L. Spink, of Yankton. Spink County was organized July 22d, 1879, its first Commissioners being George M. Bowman, Charles Foster and James B. Churchill.