STANLEY COUNTY, SD
Named for the African explorer. Created by act of 1873. Was part of great Sioux reservation opened in 1890, organized that year by Governor Mellette. County seat and chief town, Fort Pierre. Boundaries enlarged in 1897. Settled at Fort Pierre by Joseph LaFrambois in 1817. Fort Tecumseh, built about 1822. Fort Pierre, 1832. Government buys Fort Pierre for military purposes, 1855. Harney, with one thousand two hundred troops, winters at fort and vicinity, 1855-6. Entrapot to Black Hills, 1876-78. River point for vast stock range. Area, 4,882 square miles. Population, 1900, 1,341.