Walworth County, South Dakota
History of South Dakota, Volume 1
by Doane Robinson
B. F. Bowen & Co., Publishers
WALWORTH COUNTY, SD
This county was named in honor of Walworth county, Wisconsin. It was created by the legislature of 1873, and organized by Governor Ordway May 5, 1883. The county seat is at Bangor. The county was explored by the Missouri river voyageurs at the beginning of the nineteenth century. Its settlement came in 1882-3, in the
days of the great Dakota boom. The Milwaukee Railway was built to Bowdle in 1884-5 and extended to Evarts, on the Missouri, in 1900. Selby and Evarts date from 1900. It is an agricultural and stock-raising country. The rescue of Shetak captives in 1862, referred to in another chapter, occurred in this county. George H.
Hoffman, lieutenant governor, 1891-3, and J. P. Foster, present state veterinarian, reside in this county. Area, 745 square miles. Population, 1900, 3,839.