Much that might be here written, concerning Yankton, the Capital of Dakota, and the County Seat of Yankton County, has already been consigned to the tender mercies of the infallible compositor, and appears in preceding portions of this work. When Yankton became the Capital, and under what circumstances, are elsewhere shown, as also, necessarily, in the development of the aeries of facts, which have gone to make up the settlement of Southeastern Dakota, many other circumstances attending the early period of Yankton's being and surroundings.
Yankton had its inception in a steamboat landing and a small trading-house, in 1857. The first real settlement began in 1859, as soon as the Indiana were removed. George D. Fiske, Francis Chappel, Enos Stutsman, D. T. Bramble and Gen. Todd were among the first white occupants of the site of Yankton. Mrs. H. C. Ash was the first white woman who came to Yankton to reside. Mr. Ash was proprietor of the first hotel in Yankton.
The city is located in township 93, ranges 55 and 56, and contains in the neighborhood of 5,000 inhabitants. It is in reality— what is often said of less favored localities, merely, perhaps, because it has a pleasant ring—"beautifully situated” on the north bank of the Missouri River, in the midst of a prairie country, on a level plateau above the bottom lands, and out of 8oods, yet surrounded by gently sloping hills. The location surpasses any on the river; its environment is enviable; around it on three sides are fertile upland prairies of the county to which it gives its name, while southward, across the river in Nebraska, stretches the broad valley of the Missouri, heavily timbered, and back of this again, the rolling prairie of Cedar County, which is tributary to Yankton.
About 1,200 acres of land have been platted and recorded. The streets, running east and west, are 80 feet wide, those running north and south are broad avenues of 100 and 130 feet. Third, Capitol and Broadway streets arc devoted largely to business, and two and three story brick buildings predominate.
For eight years Yankton, although the Capital of the Territory, did not thrive rapidly. The frontier was kept in a constant state of excitement in consequence of the Indian wars. Dakota was also suffering from the effects of a severe drouth, which lasted several months and discouraged many of the settlers. But the cloud that had hung over the Northwest for a number of years, at length passed away, and the sunlight of prosperity shone upon Dakota, and her Capital City began to improve.
The town, therefore, may not be said to have actually begun its growth until as late as 1866. It has, within the past fifteen or sixteen years, attained a position of commanding influence in the Northwest, while its relation to the Upper Missouri trade, to present and future railway traffic, the agricultural and chief commercial and material interests of the Territory, give it great prospective importance. Yankton cannot fail to become an important railroad center. Its location and surroundings are. in themselves,
a permanent fortune.
In September, 1862, the Sioux Indian war, entailing the gravest alarm, and retarding the settlement of the entire Southeastern Dakota, Yankton became a place of refuge for the frightened pioneers and their families. The publication of the paper at Yankton was suspended. A stockade was constructed around the printing office, where Broadway now intersects Third Street, and F. M. Ziebach, of the Dakotaian, was made Commander in Chief of all the armies of "Fort Yankton," while G. W. Kingsbury, his partner, served as an humble private in the ranks. Sixty Yanktonians constituted the guard for three or four weeks, and the Indians gave them a wide berth. In course of time the Indians became settled on the reservations, and desisted from meddling with the progress of events. Old troubles were forgotten, and settlers began to take up the rich lands adjoining Yankton. Up to 1875, the settlements were mainly confined to the southeast and northwest corners of the Territory, and probably fifty thousand people came into Dakota. The Black Hills excitement brought thousands and advertised the Territory. About this time the large wheat farms of the Northern Pacific belt began to attract universal attention, and there was a steady flow of immigration to the northeast, southeast and southwest. The valleys of the Red, Big Sioux, Vermillion and James Rivers, were the favorite resorts, together with the pine-clad hills of the mineral regions.
In the meantime, Yankton grew apace. About the month of June, 1871.
THE DAKOTA SOUTHERN RAILROAD COMPANY
was chartered. The first Board of Directors of this Company, which proved to be the entering wedge which was to open up possibility of even grander than were dreamed of at the time, was composed of the following gentlemen: J. M. Stone, W. W. Brookings, J. R. Hanson, N. Edmunds, D. T. Bramble. George Whetmore and W. A. Burleigh. J. M. Stone was the President, J. R. Hanson, Secretary of the Board. In September, 1871, Burleigh, Stone, Brookings and Whetmore visited Chicago for the purpose of conferring with parties representing sufficient capital to carry on the enterprise, and were so successful as to be enabled to enter into a contract with responsible gentlemen for the construction of the road.
At the election in October, 1871, Stone, Brookings, Burleigh, Whetmore, Weston and Bramble were elected Directors; W. W. Brookings was chosen President, Weston, Superintendent, and Hanson, Secretary.
In December, 1872, C. G. Wicker, J. H. Wicker, J. S. Meckling, W. W. Brookings, J. M. Stone and J. A. Burbank were elected Directors; C. G. Wicker, President; W. W. Brookings, Vice President; J, S. Meckling, Superintendent; J. R. Hanson, Secretary. These last officers continued as such for several years. During 1877 and 1878, W. W. Brookings was Solicitor for the road.
The Sioux City & Pembina Railroad Company was organized in Sioux City, and was consolidated with the Dakota Southern Road in the latter part of 1878, or the first of 1879. under the name of the Sioux City & Dakota Railroad Company. The two roads, thus consolidated, were sold to the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company, in 1881.
Judge W. W. Brookings, of Sioux Falls, is still a member of the Board of Directors, and the only one now left in Dakota, having been a Director of the original Company—the Dakota Southern— from its organization to the consolidation with the Sioux City & Pembina, resulting into the absorption of that Road by the Milwaukee Company—and having served as President, Vice-President, Solicitor and Attorney. The first locomotive that ever entered Dakota was named the "Judge Brookings." It is now the "Brookings No. 827" of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St Paul Railroad Company. It is but due the veracity of history, to state that the conception of the organization and building of the first railroad in Dakota, was Judge W. W. Brookings, and this was the commencement of the Dakota Southern. Judge Brookings also suggested the name of the Road, and to the liberality of Yankton is due the building of the Road, although, in order to get it, J. M. Stone and Judge Brookings had to mortgage all their private property. Inquiries directed to those best in position to know, develop the fact that to Judge W. W. Brookings, more than to any other one man, Dakota owes the beginning of her railroad system, which has already grown to so great proportions, and the continuance of whose growth seems limitless. While paying this deserved tribute to one of Dakota's most active and enterprising citizens, it affords pleasure to the editor of this work—who is equally well pleased to acknowledge the many obligations under which he recta to the distinguished gentleman, for material facts furnished by him in furtherance of the arduous labor attached to a history of this kind—to append the following pertinent remarks concerning Judge Brookings, by a well known journalist, in the Centennial year:
"Judge W. W. Brookings, one of the dozen first white men who ever came to the Territory for settlement. ex-Associate Justice, Speaker of the House and President of the Territorial Senate, half a dozen times a member of both branches of its Legislature, and always a leading and inspiring man in every movement for the advance of the social, intellectual and material interests of Dakota, is a man to be honored and remembered. Of genial social temper, liberal views, clear and quick perceptions, good judgments, generous impulses and great working power, he has been able to do more for the Territory than any man within its borders. Judge Brookings is a man of very generous intellectual culture, parsed his college days atold Bowdoin and has not forgotten his Alma Mater. He never forgets anything. He is alike versatile in knowledge and its uses. He is the railroad genius of the Territory, inspired the building of a road to Yankton several years before it would have come of its own volition, and is now its Vice-President. His fertile brain is full of embryo railroads, and it won't be long till some of them are sprung into realities. I like this man for his social ways, his working powers and public spirit, and shall be glad to know more of him."
The impetus given by railroad enterprise, to the embryo city of Yankton, was destined to last, and its growth, while it has not been of a spasmodic character, has, nevertheless, been in the main entirely satisfactory. Of late, the city has taken unto itself a new and highly gratifying "boom," and it has become more and more apparent that, whatever may befall other localities, the city of Yankton is, in a commercial sense, "founded upon a rock."
The city government consists of a Mayor, and eight Aldermen, one City Marshal and assistants, a City Clerk, City Treasurer, Police Justice and other city officers. The finances of the city are in condition, the city being clear of debt and money in the treasury. The rate of taxation is not burdensome, but the accumulations in the treasury are owing to a judicious and economical administration of municipal affairs.
THE YANKTON AND LEMARS RAILROAD COMPANY.
A later enterprise—one which belongs to the present, and which seems to be in a fair way to fruition—is that of the Yankton and Le Mars Railroad Company, the object of which is the construction of a line of railway to make connection with the C, M., St. P. & O., and the Illinois Central Railroads, at or near Le Mars, Iowa.
The articles of organization, of this Company, were filed October 13th, 1881. The meeting of the Directors for Organization was held October 18th. The books of the Company were opened for subscriptions, and a soliciting committee is busily engaged in disposing of the stock. There appears to be little or no difficulty in connection with the right of way, the inhabitants all along the proposed line manifesting an anxiety to afford all reasonable aid to the project. Yankton and Yankton people have taken hold of the matter with a will, and energetic endeavors are co-operated in, most harmoniously. It is the evident determination, on all sides, to push the enterprise through to a successful termination. The advantages which will accrue from this new route, are too self-evident to require examination in detail. Other railroad plans and probabilities in connection with Yankton, are set forth elsewhere in their proper relations to the communities whose interests they effect. The central office of the Company is at Yankton, and the following are its officers: Directors—S. B. Coulson, President; E. E. Hudson, Vice President; C. J. B. Harris, Secretary; G. R, Scougal. Treasurer; J. L. Pennington, General Superintendent; J. R. Sanborn. J. E. Bruce. M. P. Ohlman, G. E. Hawley, H. V. Jencks A. W. Howard. D. F. Etter, J. W. C. Morrison.
Yankton does a larger steamboat business than any other city on the Missouri River. A large fleet of boats owned by three different companies winter here, and many of the boats are repaired daring the winter on the steamboat ways which hare been erected in this city for that purpose. Some idea of the amount of business done can be formed when you know that there are about forty steamboats engaged in the river traffic which operate from Yankton, carrying freight and passengers to the military posts, Indian Agencies, the Black Hills and other points up the Missouri River.
STAGE ROUTES PROM YANKTON.
From Yankton, stage lines run out in all directions, carrying the mails and passengers. The principal stage line runs up the Missouri River, through Bon Homme, Springfield, Yankton Agency, Fort Randall and Fort Pierre, thence up the river to Bismarck, also on the Missouri River, the western terminus of the Northern Pacific railroad. This stage runs daily to Springfield with covered four-horse coaches.
The James River route runs a daily stage from Yankton, to Mitchell, through Utica, Lesterville. Odessa, Scotland, Milltown, Martella, Rockport and Rosedale, to Mitchell, 75 miles up the Dakota River. And from Mitchell to Jamestown on the Northern Pacific railroad, a semi-weekly mail passes up the beautiful valley of the Dakota River, a distance of about 300 miles.
Stages run across the country intersecting these lines already mentioned, so that a person can easily reach any desired locality.
The Press and Dakotaian.—The Weekly Dakotaian was first published June 6th, 1861, by the Dakotaian Printing Company— F. M. Ziebach being the Company aforesaid. J. C. Trask bought the Dakotaian of Ziebach in March, 1862, and was made the first Public Printer of Dakota. Trask did the printing for the first Legislative Assembly, and after the session, sold to George W. Kingsbury. Ziebach subsequently became a partner in the business. During the next session of the Legislature, Kingsbury & Ziebach became Public Printers, and held possession of the Dakotaian until May 26tb, 1868, when it passed into the sole possession of Kingsbury.
Beginning with the issue of March 29th, 1864, Albert Gore became the editor of the paper, with Kingsbury as the publisher. Kingsbury withdrew May 31st, 1864.
June 21st, 1864, Kingsbury started the Dakota Union, with Hon. M. K. Armstrong as the editor. The publication of the paper was suspended in the middle of August following. November 19th, 1861, the Union and the Dakotaian were consolidated, with Kingsbury as the publisher and Armstrong as the editor. Armstrong's connection as the editor ceased with the issue of January 7th, 1865, and Kingsbury took sole charge of the paper, which was thus conducted until September 4th, 1869, when Kingsbury sold to James S. Foster and Charles H. McIntyre, who ran it under the firm name of McIntyre & Foster. April 7th, 1870, Arthur Linn became interested in the concern, the firm then becoming McIntyre, Foster & Linn. The next issue, Linn became sole proprietor. Linn conducted the paper until November, 12th, 1873. August 10th, 1870, the Yankton Press was started by the Yankton Press Publishing Company, and edited by Hon. George H. Hand. Mr. Hand retired November 2d, 1870, and J. M. Stone and Kingsbury became the editors and publishers. Stone withdrew July 30th. 1873, and was succeeded by S. V. Clevenger. November 12th, 1873, the Union and Dakotaian and the Yankton Press were consolidated. Linn retiring, and E. M. Brown, Kingsbury and Clevenger assumed control.
The present heading of the weekly edition of the Press and Dakotaian was adopted December 4th, 1873. Kingsbury sold to Clevenger his interest in the paper, which was then run by Clevenger and Brown, up to May 21st, 1874, when W. P. Dewey bought Brown's interest, the firm becoming Dewey & Clevenger. August 27th, 1874, A. W. Barber succeeded Dewey, the firm becoming Clevenger & Barber. December 5th, 1874, W. S. Bowen and Kingsbury took possession, under the firm name of W. S. Bowen & Co., and August 7th, 1875, Kingsbury took a half-interest in the establishment, the firm name being then changed to Bowen & Kingsbury. The first daily edition of the Press and Dakotaian was issued April 26th, 1875. The Press and Dakotaian is Republican in politics, and—both daily and weekly—is a highly creditable publication.
The Dakota Herald.—The Herald was established in February, 1872, by Maris Taylor and T. F. Singiser, the firm name being Taylor & Singiser. Singiser remained in the firm about one year, when Taylor Bros.—Maris Taylor and James Taylor—took possession. In October, 1879, Maris Taylor became sole proprietor, the paper being conducted under his management until September, 1831, when T. J. Sargent purchased a half-interest. The present firm is therefore. Taylor & Sargent. The Herald is Democratic in politics, is published every Saturday, and is a credit to the journalistic guild, as well as to the community.
THE YANKTON POSTOFFICE.
The postoffice of Yankton was established in 1857. D. T. Bramble was the first Postmaster. Mr. Bramble held this postoffice four years, when he was succeeded by William Miner, who held the office seven years. M. U. Hoyt became Postmaster in 1867, and in May, 1870, William Pound succeeded him. In October, 1871, C. H. McIntyre was appointed Postmaster. Mr. McIntyre was succeeded in November, 1872, by A. W. Howard, the present Postmaster. Yankton postoffice was made a money order office in
1864, and advanced to an office of the second class in 1676. It has been the distributing office for all of Dakota and Northern Nebraska, is still a depositing office for the Territory, and has always transacted a very large amount of business. Under Mr. Howard's management, the office is conducted in a systematic and highly satisfactory manner.
U. S. LAND OFFICE.
The land office for the counties of Yankton, Turner, Lincoln, Union, Clay, Bon Homme, Hutchinson. Douglas and Charles Mix, is located at Yankton. G. A. Wetter is the Register, Alexander Hughes, the Receiver.
The various Territorial Officers have their offices here, the principal of which are the Governor. Secretary, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, U. S. Marshal, U. S. Attorney. Surveyor General, Register in Bankruptcy, Superintendent of Indian Affairs, Auditor, Treasurer and U. S. Signal Officer. The Legislature of Dakota meets biennially at the Capital.
U. S. ARMY OFFICES.
The United States military offices for Dakota, consisting of U. S. . Quartermaster, Purchasing and Depot Commissary of Subsistence, U. S. Paymaster, and U. S. Signal officer, are located at Yankton. Large quantities of army supplies are annually purchased at Yankton and forwarded by steamers to the military posts on the Missouri River above.
THE COURTS AT YANKTON.
Dakota is divided into four judicial districts. Southeastern Dakota being within the Second District, and holding two general terms of the U. S. Court at Yankton in each year. Sub-districts are formed of one or more counties, where courts are held as occasion requires.
THE ASYLUM FOB THE INSANE.
This institution was established over three years ago through the efforts of the late Governor Howard, and has been in successful operation since that time. It is located on a section of land one mile north of the city and commands a beautiful view of the city, river, and surrounding country. The present buildings are but the nucleus of the Asylum as planned. The last Legislature appropriated $40,000 for the erection of a permanent building, to be about 200 feet long, 3 stories and basement in height, to be built of brick. The contractors are now at work, and it will be finished this year. Having a section of laud donated by the United States, and liberal appropriations from the Legislature, this will be one of the largest State institutions.
THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS.
Gen. W. H. H. Beadle, the Territorial Superintendent of Instruction, resides in Yankton, and is indefatigable in his efforts to advance the cause of education. The Territorial Superintendent is nominated by the Governor and confirmed by the Legislative Council (senate), salary (600 per annum, with $300 for traveling expenses and $100 tor stationery, books, printing and postage. No other Territorial expense permitted.
Each organized county elects every two years a County Superintendent, who receives $3.00 per day for actual time employed, and five cents per mile for distance necessarily traveled on duty. He has general supervision of public schools in his county, examines teachers and grants certificates for not more than one year; visit all schools in his county at least once each year; apportions county general tuition fund to districts on basis of school population; receives reports from districts and reports to Territorial Superintendent yearly, and has other minor allowances and duties.
In the cities of Yankton, Fargo, Deadwood, Bismarck and Vermillion, and the village of Sioux Falls, the schools are managed by boards of education, provided for in the municipal charters.
The school revenues are derived almost exclusively from taxation. There is no vested school fund. The United States has reserved the 16th and 37th sections in every township to be applied to schools in the future State. The law levies a general tax of two mills on the dollar for tuition, which is collected and apportioned by each county separately. Besides each school district may levy taxes for teacher's wagers, school house building, and for incidental expenses, to the maximum in all of three and a quarter per cent, annually.
The law requires three months school in each year, and a late amendment authorizes every parent of a child of school age to require six months school in default of which he may send pupils to any other district at cost of his own district. A late act authorizes every school district to borrow money at 8 per cent, interest upon its bonds, to be used in building and furnishing school house. The amount is limited to $1,500 at most in each district, and the bonds run not less than ten nor more than twenty years.
An act of the Legislative Assembly approved January 6th, 1875, provided for the establishment of a Board of Education for the city of Yankton, and inconsequence, Yankton's present efficient system of education may be said to date from that time. The Board was organized on the second day of February, 1875, the first financial report of the Secretary covering a period of fourteen months from the date of organization to the first day of April, 1876. The following gentlemen were the members of the first Board of Education:
First District—F. M. Ziebach, D. T. Bramble. Second District—J. R. Sanborn, P. J. Dewitt. Third District—Bartlett Tripp, Newton Edmunds. Fourth District—Joseph Ward. E. P. Wilcox, William M. Bristol was the Secretary. Charles E. Bramble, Treasurer. Mr. Bristol was elected Secretary of the Board, February 5th, 1875, and was at once charged, ex-officio, with the duties of Superintendent of the City Public Schools, both of which responsible positions he has continued ever since to most acceptably fill. At the same meeting an accurate census of the children of school age in the city, was directed to be. taken. The number of persons of school age in Yankton for 1875, was ascertained to be 783; for 1876, the number was 867.
The four public schools existing at the time of organization were allowed to complete the work of their winter term, and were closed March 26,1875. April 5-7 a reorganization of the schools was effected. The East and the West Primary and the East and the West Intermediate Schools were opened on the 5th, the Grammar School on the 6th, and the High School on the 7th.
During the spring term, the Board employed five teachers, the Superintendent serving as Principal of the High School, and furnishing his own assistant. During a part of the school year, 1875-6, the Board had eight schools in operation and employed seven teachers besides the Superintendent, who cared for the High school as during the spring term, 1875.
At the opening of the fall term. 1875, the East and the West Intermediate Schools were consolidated and a secondary school opened. The Intermediate and Secondary Schools were located in the center, in the Walnut Street School House, and the East and West Primary Schools in rented buildings, on Capital and Linn Sts., respectively. The Primary Schools became so crowded that the Board resorted, in November, to the plan of devoting their morning sessions to second grade pupils and their afternoon sessions to first grade pupils. Ths Grammar and High Schools remained in the Academy building on Walnut St., which the Board had leased for their accommodation.
At the opening of the winter term, the applicants for admission to the schools were so numerous that a second secondary school was opened on the 12th of January, located on Capital St., and called the East Secondary School, the secondary school on Walnut St taking the name of West Secondary School. At this time, to remove all occasion for dissatisfaction with the Primary Schools, the Board again threw the morning and afternoon sessions, in each of them, open to all the pupils belonging to them.
In February, the last private school existing in the city was closed, and it was found necessary to furnish additional school accommodations by removing the West Secondary School to Dakota Hallon Linn St. and opening another intermediate school in the Walnut St. School House. The new school received the name of First Intermediate School and the original Intermediate School became the Second Intermediate School.
One new two-room brick school house was built during the year, and, at the close of the year, the schools occupied three leased buildings, or in all, five school houses, containing eight school rooms The year '75-8 was marked, in the history of the High School, by the sending forth of its first graduates. At the close of the third anniversary exercises, by direction of President J. R. Sanborn, citing the authority of the Board, appropriate diplomas, certifying to the completion of the courses mentioned opposite their names, were presented, by the Principal, to Horace Ward Sheldon, four years’ Classical course. William Henry Sanborn, four years' Academic course. Helen Eliot Moody, three years’ Classical course. These are believed to be the first, proper alumni of any institution of learning in Dakota Territory.
At an adjourned meeting, on the 22d of June, it was voted to purchase the Academy premises, corner Sixth and Walnut streets, for two thousand six hundred and fifty dollars. Eleven coupon bonds of two hundred and forty dollars each, payable in ten years from the 13th day of June, 1877, and bearing interest at the rate of ten per cent, per annum, payable semi-annually, together with a warrant for ten dollars in cash, were issued in payment for this property, which consisted of three lots, with two-story school building (40x36,) out houses, fences and plank walks.
The school year ending August 31st, 1878, witnessed the completion and occupation of the south wing of the new Franklin School. The foundations of this two-story, brick edifice were laid broad and deep, and the superstructure, with eighteen-inch vaulted walls to the top of the lower story and fourteen-inch above to the cornice, substantially erected thereupon. This wing is 36x44 feet in its exterior dimensions, and, with its two frame vestibules, affords accommodations for two schools, one below and one above, with the necessary hallways, stairways, recitation, cloak and janitor's room.
According to the school census of 1881, the number of persons of school age in Yankton was 1,122; number of school rooms owned by the city and used for school purposes during the year, eight; rooms leased for school purposes, two—total rooms so used, ten.
The public schools of Yankton have justly achieved a most enviable reputation. The standard of education is high, and throughout every department a system is maintained which is thoroughly in keeping with the progressive spirit of the best schools of the East. The present corps of teachers is as follows:
William M. Bristol, Principal.
Viola T. Hayes. Second Webster Primary.
Maggie E. Cooley, Fourth Primary.
May Lynch, First Webster Primary.
Hannah S. Prime, Third Primary.
Henrietta Fellows, Third Grammar.
Anna E. Hoyt. Second Linn St. Primary.
Carrie E. Lawrence, Assistant 2d and 3d Grammar.
Louisa A. McIntyre, First Linn St. Primary.
Duane Rifenbark, High School.
Gertie E. Flanagan. First Grammar.
Mary A. Lawrence, Second Grammar.
Janitors—William H. Werdebaugh, Franklin and Linn St. Schools. Robert Thorgerson, Walnut St. and Webster Schools.
THE UNIVERSITY OF YANKTON.
This institution under the auspices of the Congregational churches of Dakota has been located here. $13,000 have been subscribed by the citizens of Yankton towards erecting suitable buildings, and $50,000 has been promised by wealthy members of this denomination residing in the eastern States. Commodious buildings will soon be erected on a commanding site in the north part of the city.
The Court House is a substantial two story brick structure erected at a cost of about $12,000. Connected with it, and under the control of the sheriff, is the county jail.
THE ACADEMY OP THE SACRED HEART.
The Academy is a large commodious building, built of brick, three stories high, situated on the highest eminence west of the city. It has grounds covering three blocks, and from its cupola the view is unsurpassed. Twenty Sisters of Mercy reside here. They have thirty young lady boarders, beside a large attendance of day scholars and a parochial school on Cedar street. They have recently erected a large brick residence for the chaplain, and the
Bishop of Dakota intends building on the adjoining grounds a large and beautiful residence.
CHURCHES AND SOCIETIES.
The following churches have been built in Yankton and have resident pastors, viz: Congregational, Methodist, Episcopal, Baptist, Universalist, Catholic, German Evangelical, Lutheran. Reformed Lutheran, Scandinavian and Russian. Rev, Joseph Ward is the pastor of the Congregational Society; Rev. Wilmot Whitfield, of the Methodist; Dr. E. Epstein, of the Baptist; Rev. W. L. Willard. of the Catholic, and Rev. Mr. Hielscher, of the German Evangelical Society.
The Women's Christian Temperance Union of Yankton was organized in the winter of 1879-80, with Mrs. Dunlap as President. The present officers are: Mrs. James McVay, President; Mrs. H. H. Smith, Mrs. O. H. Carney, Vice-Presidents: Mrs. A. W. Howard, Treasurer; Mrs. .J. B. Van Velson, Secretary. In February. 1881, rooms were opened, where refreshments could be served and reading matter furnished, and after a temporary suspension on account of the floods, rooms were again opened on the 21st of May. The present rooms are commodious and comfortable, well furnished and conducted in the cosiest possible manner. Coffee and other refreshments are served at all hours, and the rooms are supplied with the choicest and latest periodicals. Socials and other entertainments are occasionally held in these rooms, the proceeds of which go to defray expenses. The rooms are in charge of Mrs. C. N. Thompson. This practical step in the direction of Temperance reform deservedly meets with the encouragement of the
St. John's Lodge No. 1, A. F. and A. M.—Instituted in June, 1883, under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Iowa, its number at that time being 166. In 1875, the Grand Lodge of Dakota was organized, and this Lodge then became No. 1. Charter members and first officers: M. Hoyt. W. M.; D. T. Bramble, S. W.; John Hutchinson, J. W.; G. N. Propper, S. D.; F. M. Ziebach, J. D.; M. K. Armstrong, Secretary; G. W. Kingsbury, Treasurer; B. E. Wood, Tyler; H. C. Ash, Nelson Miner, Justus Townsend, J. M. Allen. Present officers: F. J. Dewitt, M.; I. E. West, S. W.; William Good win. J. W.; W. H. H. Beadle, S.D.; D. McCully, J. D.; W . H. Edmunds. Secretary; J. R. Sanborn, Treasurer; T. L. Pratt, Tyler. The Lodge's membership is about eighty, and its condition prosperous. Meetings are held the first and third Tuesday evenings in each month.
Yankton Chapter No. 1, R. A. M.—Holds its meetings on the second and third Tuesday in each month at Masonic Hall. It was instituted in 1878. William Blatt is H.P., John O. Bates, Secretary. The membership is about forty-five.
Dakota Lodge No. 1, I. O. O. F. instituted May 25th, 1870. First officers: N. J. Catill, N. G.; E. O. Norton, Secretary. Present officers: Peter Royem, N. G.; John O. Bates, Secretary.
Humboldt Lodge No. 5, I. O. O. F. —Instituted March 11th. 1874. First officers: William Blatt. N. G.; M. P. Ohlman, Secretary. Present officers: C. Hameister, N. G.; George Bauman, Secretary.
Yankton Encampment No. 2, I. O. O. F..—Instituted May 4th, 1875. First officers: William Blatt, H. P.; C. S. Deraing, Scribe. Present officers: A. F. Brecht, H. P.; J. Kingsbury, Scribe.
Grand Lodge of Dakota, I. O. O. F. —Instituted October 13th, 1875. First officers: Ezra W. Miller, of Elk Point. G. M.; Ralph K. Briggs, of Vermillion, G. S. Present officers: W. A. Bentley, of Bismarck, G. M.; Ralph R. Briggs, of Sioux Falls, G. S.
Grand Encampment of Dakota, I. O. O. F.—Instituted August 10th, 1881. First officers: Frank S. Emerson, of Sioux Falls, G. P.; A. J. Romne, of Elk Point, G. S. Present officers: D. S. Dodds, of Grand Forks, G. P.; Ralph R. Briggs, of Sioux Falls, G. S.
ARTESIAN WELL AMD MINING COMPANY.
The Yankton Artesian Well and Mining Company was organized in September, 1880. The officers of the Company were as follows: J. C. McVay, President; E. T. White, Secretary; J. M. Fogerty, Treasurer; W. P. Dewey, Attorney; J. C. McVay, E. E. Hudson, F. L. Van Tassel, A. W. Lavender, I. Piles, Directors. There were about thirty-eight members originally. The capital stock was $10,000, with a privilege of increasing to $50,000.
In December, 1880, the contract for boring an artesian well was let to Mars & Miller, of Chicago, and work was begun early in the summer of 1881. Water was "struck" at a depth of about four hundred feet, in July, and about one hundred feet further down, a water supply of from one hundred and eighty to two hundred gallons per minute, was reached. The well is located on the hill west of the city and the Company has purchased ten acres of the land surrounding it. It is the intention to construct a complete system of water works for the city, which are expected to be ready for operation in 1882. The estimated cost of. the entire works is less than $50,000. Everything connected with the enterprise is so favorable, that its success appears to be already assured. The following are the present officers of the Company: I. Piles, President; B. T. White, Secretary; Leighton Wynn, Treasurer; E. E. Hudson, F. Li Van Tassel, A. W. Lavender, G. R. Scougal, I. Piles, Directors.
Yankton is in every respect a beautiful city—both from its advantageous and picturesque location, and from the substantial character of its public, private and business buildings. The amount of business, wholesale and retail, which is transacted in Yankton, would be incredible in any other locality than the Great Northwest, population and the disadvantages peculiar to a new country being taken into consideration. The business men of Yankton, taken as a class, are live, energetic and responsible gentlemen, who
have both the capacity, the means and the will, to make the moat of present opportunities. The reader may confidently rely upon it —if there is aught to be known of the future from the substantial indications of the present—that in the years to come, few cities will command greater attention, achieve greater prosperity, or exert a wider influence upon the commercial world about them, than the Capital of the future Empire of the Northwest.
ADDITIONS TO THE CITY OF YANKTON.
The following are the plats, or additions, which make up the city of Yankton:
1—Yankton. 2—Witherspoon's Yankton. 3—Lower Yankton. 4-Central Yankton. 5—West Yankton. 6—North Yankton. 7—East Yankton. 8—B. C. Fowler's Addition. 9—H. C. Ash's Addition. 10—John Noble's Addition. 11—Glazier's Addition. 12—Presho's Addition. 18—B. C. Ash's Addition. 14—English's Addition. 15—Collamer's Addition. 16—Wetmore & Stewart's Addition. 17—Hoffman's Addition. 18—W. A. Burleigh's Addition. 19—C. & 3. Eiseman's First Addition. 20—C. & S. Eiseman's Second Addition. 21—Thompson & Hanson's Addition. 22—Reinhold's Addition. 23—Julia A. Presho's Addition. 24—W. B. Valentine's Addition. 25—S. C. Fargo's Sub-division.
26—Extension of Lower Yankton by J. R. Hanson & Co., and W. W. Brookings. 27—J. D. Sears' Addition. 28.—Picotte & Hanson's Sub-division of part of Lower Yankton.
Mayor —J. R. Sanborn.
Clerk—E. T. White.
Justice of the Peace—G. W. Roberts.
Police—P. C. Conway.
Surveyor—E. D. Palmer.
Physician—J. M. Miller.
Weighmaster— H. W. Pike.
Aldermen—J. L. Foskett, Chairman; Dr. D. F. Etter, W. M. Powers, C. J. B. Harris, Patrick Brennan, Joseph Bader, Jacob Max, Zina Richey.
Board of Education—First District—William P. Dewey. J. C. McVay. Second District—Josiah R. Sanborn, G. W. Kingsbury. Third Diet rid—Newton Edmunds, Bartlett Tripp. Fourth District—Joseph Ward. H. F. Livingston. Secretary—William M. Bristol. Treasurer— William Blatt.
Judge of District Court—P. C. Shannon.
Clerk of District Court—A. J. Faulk.
Attorneys—C. J. B. Harris, Dewey & French, Tripp & Boyles, S. H. Gruber, Geo. H. Hand, I. E. West, Campbell & Smith, Phil. K. Faulk, Gamble Bros., E. L. Fletcher, Oliver Shannon, N. J. Cramer, F. T. White.
Real Estate—G. W. Roberts, G. P. Hayward & Co., E. L. Fletcher, M. M. Matthieson, C. J. B. Harris.
Physicians—J. M. Miller, D. F. Etter, James Buchanan, James McGregor,
Geo. W. Vanderhule. J. B. Vanvelsor. V. Seblakinrosa.
Banks—First National Bank, McKinney & Scougal, Edmunds & Wynn.
Dentists— W. H. H. Brown, H. D. Dodge.
Druggists—Mills & Purdy, Eugene Webber, E. M. Coates,. G. W. Vanderhule, Geo. Taman, Peter Neff.
Dry Goods—L. D. Palmer, Chas. Eiseman, Jacob Max, N. Anderson, Christian Steinbach.
Clothing— Harry Katz, John O. Bates.
Tailors—Hacker & Grebe, R. G. Grady.
Boots & Shoes—I. Piles. John J. Duffack, Jno. A. Weeks, Jacob Max, Christian Steinbach.
Wholesale Grocers—Bramble, Miner & Co.
Grocers—Jacob Max, A. W. Lavender, Wm. Blatt, H. W. Pike, Christian Steinbach, J. L. Norris, Albert Aimlicka, Walter H. Carr, O. P. Hage, N. Anderson, T. F. Marshall, Dan. McDevitt, Samuel Vance.
Carpenter Shops—Osborn Evenson, Pratt & Goodwin, Fred. Burgi. A. Dillinger, G. Burgi, John Thornton, W. F. Lauman, T. Moore.
Meat Markets—Wyman & Ward, Mike Brennan, Patrick Brennan, Maxwell & Lingo.
Hides and Leather— Peir & Luebke.
Wholesale Liquors—Adler & Ohlman, J. Hirshtein, J. E. Bruel.
Wholesale Cigars and Tobaccos—Adler & Ohlman, F. Hirschtein, Bramble, Miner & Co., J. E. Bruce.
Queensware—Marshall & Odiorne, O. P. Hage.
Newspapers—Press and Dakotaian, Daily and Weekly, Bowen & Kingsbury, Proprietors. Dakota Herald, Taylor & Sargent, Proprietors. Fne Presse, G. A. Wetter, Proprietor.
Book Bindery—Bowen & Kingsbury.
Hardware—Geo. E. Hawley. Wynn &t Buckwalter, E. E. Richey, Shroeder & Bates, J. C. Morman, Orth & Huber.
Furniture—J. R. Sanborn & Son.
Agricultural Implements—Gardner Bros., Wynn & Buckwalter, Wilcox & Williams, J. L Foskett.
Gunsiths—Geo. Wagner, H. B. White.
Livery—Louis H. Eliot, Peter Steffen, Wm. M. Powers.
Millinery—C. A. Lyons & Co., E. J. Coggins, Mrs. E. J. Morrow.
Hair Dresser—Mrs. Pray.
Photographers—S.. J. Morrow; De Long & Son.
Saloons—Geo. Brown, J. F. Evans. John Larton, Albert Zemlicka, Jacob Brauch, Lev. Biermeyer, Fred. Lerch, M. Demendes, J. H. Balmat, Wallbaum & Becker, Frank Schepperheyn.
Harness and Saddlery—J. M. Fogarty, John Novotney, D. B. Cooley.
Confectionery, Etc—H. A. Schoregge & Son, Walter H. Carr, H. W. Pike, Jenkinson Bros.& ft Purdy.
Hotels—Jencks Hotel, Jencks & Son; Merchants Hotel; Smithsonian, H. H. Smith; Germania House, Wallbaum & Baker; Bradley House, J. C. Curtis; Central Hotel. John Jacobs.; Madison House, Fred Kincie; Eagle House. Augustas Kountz; Minnesota Hotel, Joseph Bolder; American House, N. Morgan; Pacific Hotel, George Wagner; Chicago House, Charles Brotherson; Farmers’ Home, Leo Beermeyer; Custer House, Chas. Long; Skandinavisk Hotel, Ole Cook.
Steamboat Lines—Coulson Line, S. B. Coulson, Manager; J. C. McVay, Secretary and Treasurer. Peck Line, A. C. Aiken, Manager.
Wagon Making and Blacksmithing—Tyler & Nissen. Carr & Sanderson.
Painting—Semple & Munroe, William Tobin, John Bramsen.
Architects—John Thornton, A. E. Cobby, W. L. Daw.
Lumber—E. P. Wilcox. St. Croix Lumber Co.; Michigan and Chicago Lumber Co.—J. D. Hoskin, Proprietor.
Foundry—J. J. Campbell. Martin I. Anderson.
Jewelers—H. G. Cark, . P. Redaelli, John Otto, C. Wedell.
Flouring Mill— Excelsior Mill Company, Bramble, Miner & Co., Proprietors.
Mill Furnisher—Samuel Kaucher.
Auctioneer—L. M. Kee.
Butter and Eggs—Smith and Farr.
Music—Mrs. M. M. Sullivan, Mrs. Whitney.
Sewing Machines—F. Hammond, C. A. Lyons & Co., Orth & Huber.
Farriers—Stock well & Buchanan.