JUSTIN O. ADAMS
Justin O. Adams, M. D. Since 1895 an active member of the medical profession, Dr. Adams has had a career of varied achievements and experiences, and at his home town of Monterey, where he has been located in practice since 1910, is regarded as one of the foremost citizens and a man secure in the possession of the material goods of life and in the solid esteem of his community.
Justin O. Adams was born in Marshall county, Tennessee, November 21, 1869. His paternal grandparents -were R. A. and- (Darnell) Adams, who were among the early settlers of Bedford county, Tennessee, where the grandfather was a merchant and a very prosperous man for his time. The maternal grandparents of Dr. Adams were Dow and Eveline (Hill) Turner, who became early settlers of Marshall county, Tennessee. Dr. Adams is the only survivor of the three children born to W. H. and Candalara (Turner) Adams, both of whom were natives of this state, the father born in Bedford county in 1853, and the mother in Marshall county in 1849. The mother passed away in 1907. The father went to the district schools of Bedford county, and he and his wife both attended an institution of learning in Marshall county which had a high reputation among the schools of academic classes, which furnished such excellent training to many of the people of the preceding generation. His father began life on a farm, but subsequently turned his attention to merchandising, and has been a merchant for many years and a prosperous one. He and his wife were both members of the Christian church, in which she took considerable interest, and he is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is a Republican in politics. He is now proprietor of a general store at Lewisburg.
It was in the old town of Lewisburg that Dr. Adams was reared and obtained most of his early schooling. He subsequently entered the University of Knoxville, and was graduated in medicine in 1895, returning to Lewisburg and beginning practice. After five years of practice there he moved to the state of Florida, where he continued his professional work for a time, and then had charge of the mining camp at Wilder for eight years. He moved to Monterey in 1910 and has built up a nice practice in this locality. He is local surgeon of the Tennessee Central Railroad, is now health officer of the town, and among his other interests owns a drug store. Dr. Adams is also a present member of the town council.
In 1897 he married Mrs. Frances Sears, nee Glenn of Chicago. Her death occurred in 1904. In 1906 he married Maggie Livingston, a daughter of James T. Livingston of Jamestown, Tennessee. To their marriage has been born one daughter, Justine. The doctor and wife are members of the Methodist church, and fraternally he is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His politics is Republican. At one time he served as chairman of the fourth congressional district for his party. He was also for five years a member of the pension board of Shelbyville, this state. He has membership in the Putnam County, the Tennessee State and the Upper Cumberland Medical Societies, and has served one term as president of the county society. [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
ROBERT L. ADAMS
ROBERT L. ADAMS, clerk and master of the Chancery Court of Marshall county, was born June 15, 1833, in that part of Bedford County now included in Marshall County. He was reared on the farm but on account of physical disability did not engage in hard manual labor. He received a good practical education in the country schools and at the age of nineteen commenced teaching in the schools of this county, where he continued for ten years. In 1862 he was elected county court clerk and held that office for a period of twelve years. In 1876 he was appointed clerk and master of the Chancery Court and is still holding that position. When the Bank of Lewisburg was re-established in 1885, Mr. Adams was elected as its president, besides he is one of the directors of the same institution. Previous to this, in 1860, he wedded Jane E. Bell, and by her became the father of seven children, six of whom are living. Politically Mr. Adams is a firm supporter of Democratic principles. For fifty years he has been a citizen of Marshall County and for twenty-two years of that time he has held positions of trust and honor. This fact alone speaks louder for his ability and popularity than mere words. His parents were Alexander D. and Elizabeth (LaRue) Adams, both natives of Virginia and both members of the Presbyterian Church. The father was a stanch Democrat, although all his brothers were Whigs previous to the war. He died in 1866, and the mother passed away in 1875. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
T. RIGGS ADAMS
T. RIGGS ADAMS is one of ten children of Joseph and Eveline W. (Garrett) Adams, who were born in Bedford and Lincoln Counties, Tenn., respectively. They were married in Bedford County, and there lived until 1853, when they came to Marshall County, and there the father followed farming and stock raising. He was a Whig in former days, but now supports the Democratic party. The mother died in 1885, and the following year Mr. Adams wedded Mrs. Rachel McLean. T. Riggs' ancestors on his father's side were Irish, and on his mother's German. He was born in Bedford County on the 11th of January, 1840, and received the rearing and education of the average farmer's boy. In 1862 he volunteered in Company C, Eleventh Tennessee Cavalry, and during nearly three years' service was never wounded and only once taken prisoner, and then held but a few days. He has given his time and attention to farming, and owns 165 acres of land. He is unmarried, and a Democrat in politics. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
JOHN C. AKIN
J. C. AKIN, proprietor of the Evans Hotel, was born July 2, 1827, in Granville County, N. C. His father, Thomas Akin, moved with his family from North Carolina to Maury County, Tenn., about 1830, and lived there till his death. He was a farmer and raised a large family. The genial subject of this sketch was reared on a farm. He came to Shelbyville in 1854, married and engaged in the mercantile trade for a short time. He then farmed till 1851, having bought a farm near Shelbyville. He then removed to McMinville, Warren Co., Tenn., and engaged in the grocery business there a short time, and then at farming till the war, in the meantime having bought two farms and stocked them. During the war he was in the drug business till early in 1865. He then went to Maury County and raised a crop of cotton; thence he returned to McMinnville, and remained till 1878, when he again moved to Shelbyville, and for six years ran the Barksdale House. Since then be has been running the Evans Hotel, the only first-class hotel in the city. He also runs a fruit evaporator in Shelbyville. He was married, September 18, 1854, to Mrs. America Lane, the widow of Robert Lane, of Marshall County. Her father was Isaac Holman, who was once a member of the Legislature. Mr. Akin and wife have been members of the Missionary Baptist Church for many years, and are among the leading members of the church at Shelbyville. Mr. Akin has been chairman and treasurer of the executive board of the Duck River Baptist Association for many years, and at one time was president of the Baptist Sunday-school Association. and of the Bedford County Sunday-school Association. He is a member of the K. of H. Politically he was formerly an old-line Whig, but is now a conservative Democrat. He is justly regarded as an enterprising and influential citizen of the county, who has always taken special and active interest in all charitable, religious and moral enterprises. The wife was the mother of four children by her former marriage, two of whom are now living. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall Counties of TN 1886]
D. M. ALFORD
D. M. ALFORD, publisher of the Bedford County Times, was born November 30, 1861, and is the son of A. J. and Margaret (Russell) Alford, both of whom are natives of Lincoln County, Tenn., though now living in Shelbyville, Tenn. Our subject is a practical printer, and as such has filled responsible positions on the Fayetteville Express, Shelbyville Gazette, Chattanooga Times and Murfreesboro News. In February, 1886, he engaged with William Russell in the publication of the Bedford County of Times, which paper he is a publisher, and has succeeded in building up a good newspaper. [Goodspeed Biographies, 1886]
JOHN H. ALLEN
JOHN H. ALLEN, superintendent of public instruction of Bedford County, was born November 19, 1848, son of William and Elizabeth (Ray) Allen. The parents were born in 1824 and 1827, respectively. The ancestors of our subject emigrated from Smith County, Tenn., to Illinois, and after remaining there some time move to Bedford County, where our subject was born. William Allen was a tiller of the soil and the father of five children - four of whom were reared to maturity. These are Isaac S., Sarah, James E., and John H. The father was a pious member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and a respected citizen of the county in which he lived. His death, which occurred in 1874, was universally regretted by all who knew him. Since the death of her husband Mrs. Allen has been living with the subject of this sketch. She is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Our subject, at the age of nineteen, left the farm and, having had the advantage of a good English education, chose school-teaching as his profession. He has given the best of satisfaction where he has taught, and is considered quite a success as an educator. In 1885 he was elected superintendent of public schools of Bedford County, and by his energy and untiring zeal has done much to further the advancement of the schools of the county. November 10, 1881, he married Miss Susan E. Hobbs, and two children have bless this union: Lora V. and Ewitt P. Mr. Allen is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, of which he has been a steward for eight or ten years. [Goodspeed's History of Tennessee]
MARSHALL LAFAYETTE ALLISON
Farmer; born Marshall County, Tenn., October 30, 1860; son of Robert and Sarah (Elzie) Allison; father was a farmer; paternal grandparents Thomas and Mildred (Whitfield) Allison; maternal grandparents Abraham and Jane Elzie; Scotch descent; educated Cornersville, Marshall County, Tenn.; married Elizabeth Wilmot September 22, 1892; member Missionary Baptist church; formerly furniture dealer; later traveling salesman, and now land owner and farmer. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WILLIAM WHALLON ARCHIBALD
Lumberman; born Corry, Pa., October 17, 1868; son of Charles Edwin and Mary (Whallon) Archibald; paternal grandparents Varnum and Martha (Allen) Archibald; maternal grandparents Samuel Smith and Maria (Bell) Whallon; Scotch-Dutch descent; father's occupation railroad conductor; educated and graduated at De Veaux College, Niagara Falls, N.Y. June, 1885; married May Gibson September 3, 1890; member Royal Arcanum and of all the Masonic bodies, Watauga Club, Nashville, Mountain City Club, Chattanooga; Mayor of Shelbyville, Tenn.; elected August, 1909 for two years; in the export lumber business and for many years has represented in America the old-established house of William Foerster & Company, Hamburg, Germany; lived in Virginia ten years before coming to Tennessee in 1898; was located at Chattanooga 1900 to 1905; member Protestant Episcopal church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CHARLOTTE MORGAN ARMSTRONG
Teacher; born Shelbyville, (Bedford Co) Tenn., May 16, 1880; Scotch-Irish descent; daughter of Archibald S. and Virginia Belle (Matthews) Armstrong; paternal grandparents Archibald and Isabella (Davison) Armstrong; maternal grandparents Robert and Mary (Blackwell) Matthews; father merchant; educated Nashville public schools, Peabody College, University of Chicago, Teachers' College, Columbia University, New York; graduated at Nashville public schools 1896; began teaching in rural schools of Bedford County and Shelbyville; member Y.W.C.A., Elementary Teachers' Club and Southern Club of Teachers' College, Columbia University, New York; has done State Normal School work in Tennessee, Clarksville, June, 1907; Davidson County, 1908; Louisiana State Normal, 1909; teacher of Primary Methods Tulane University, New Orleans, 1910; Mississippi State Normal Summer School 1909-10; sent by Board of Education, Nashville, Tenn., to give special primary instructions in New Orleans public schools in fall of 1909; is now under a leave of absence from Nashville Board of Education to do special work at Teachers' College, Columbia University, New York; member Presbyterian Church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
HON. WILLIAM B. ANTHONY
Though a resident of Marlow, where his business activities are as a newspaper publisher and real estate man, William B. Anthony has been prominent as an Oklahoman since statehood, and in his present duties as state capitol commissioner to which he was appointed by the legislature, maintains offices in the State National Bank Building at Oklahoma City, and for the past two years has been giving close and faithful supervision to the monumental task of constructing a state capitol, which when completed will be the pride of every Oklahoma citizen.
William B. Anthony was born in Bedford County, Tennessee. January 9, 1871, a son of Jacob L. and Martha (Bruce) Anthony. Both parents were also Tennesseans, and his father was a farmer and mechanic. His early education came from the country schools of Bedford County, with a finishing course in Terrell College at Decherd in the same state. In the office of a Tennessee lawyer he studied law, and though admitted to the bar of Tennessee in 1892, has never practiced the profession, though the knowledge has proved exceedingly valuable to him in many ways. After two years as a school teacher in Tennessee Mr. Anthony in 1893 identified himself with old Indian Territory, locating at Duncan, where for one year he taught school, and in 1894 removing to Marlow. in what is now Stephens County. There he continued his work as a teacher one year, and then engaged in the newspaper business as the publisher of the Marlow Review, and also opened a real estate office. Mr. Anthony has thus been engaged in business in Oklahoma twenty years and his long experience and familiarity with renditions and the people of the state have given him exceptional qualifications for the various public responsibilities entrusted to him. When the Town of Marlow was incorporated in 1899, he was elected its first mayor, serving as men seven years, from 1899 to 1900. In 1907, at the time of statehood, Mr. Anthony was elected a member of the House of Representatives from Stephens County, and by re election to the second and third Legislatures served from 1907 to 1913. He was speaker of the House of Representatives during the extraordinary session of the third Legislature. In the first legislature he was chairman of the committee on taxation and revenue, and during his entire legislative career devoted himself to the subject of taxation and revenue. One of the modern provisions of the Oklahoma constitution is that which wisely entrusts to the Legislature, with only general restrictions, such modifications of the taxing scheme which may be conformed with the constantly changing requirement of the state and its subdivisions. Thus the taxation problem is one that is continually before the Legislature, and during the first five years of Oklahoma statehood it is conceded that no one man performed a greater service as a taxation expert and legislator than William B. Anthony. During the first three Legislatures he was author of every revenue law placed on the statute books.
From December, 1908, to January, 1911, Mr. Anthony was private secretary to Governor Haskell. July 31, 1910. when the state capitol was removed from Guthrie to Oklahoma City, with its attendant excitement, Mr. Anthony carried the great seal of the state. In 1913 he was chosen by the Fourth Legislature as one of the state capitol commissioners and in that capacity has been vigilant, progressive and exceedingly capable in forwarding the great enterprise now in course of construction at Oklahoma City. Outside of these official honors Mr. Anthony has never been a candidate for any political office.
Fraternally he is prominent in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, being past grand of Marlow lodge and grand representative to the Grand Lodge. He was grand marshal of the Grand Lodge of old Indian Territory, and for two years grand marshal of the Grand Lodge of Oklahoma. He is also a Mason and is a past chancellor of Marlow lodge, Knights of Pythias, and a representative to the Grand Lodge. His church is the Methodist Episcopal, South.
In 1893 Mr. Anthony married Miss Sarah Shaw, daughter of Thomas J. Shaw, of Lynchburg, Tennessee, one of the pioneer preachers in the Christian Church in Middle Tennessee. To their marriage have boon born five children: Shaw Anthony, who is a graduate of the Tonkawa Preparatory School and is a member of the class of 1918 in the University of Oklahoma; Curtis Anthony, a member of the class of 1913 in the Claremore Preparatory School; Gladys. Bruce and Marian Anthony still at home and attending the local schools of Marlow. [A Standard History of Oklahoma: An Authentic Narrative of Its ..., Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn 1916]
JAMES N. APPLEBY
This gentleman is the son of David and Catherine (Bell) Appleby, and was born December 6, 1819, in Bedford county, Tennessee. In October, 1832 his parents left Tennessee, and came to Wayne county, Missouri, where they lived about ten months. Then, in 1833, they moved to Greene county, and settled in the southern part of Franklin township. James moved to Platte county, Missouri, in 1841, and returned to his old home in Greene county in 1843, and has always followed farming. He was elected, upon the Republican ticket in 1880, justice of the peace, and re-elected in 1882. Squire Appleby was married in March, 1841, to Susan Thornburg, of Platte county, Missouri. That marriage was blest with three sons and one daughter. His first wife died in 1852, and in 1853 he was married again, to Mary McCurdy, of this county. By this union they have four sons and three daughters. During the war Mr. Appleby was in the enrolled militia, and was at Springfield when it was attacked by Gen. Marmaduke January 8, 1868. He was a strong Union man in 1860, voting for Bell and Everett, Bell being a cousin of his mother. His father was a native of Pennsylvania, who removed to Georgia, then to Tennessee and then to Missouri, where he died in 1867. His mother was a native of North Carolina, and died in 1866. They were married in Tennessee. They had a family of three sons and four daughters. [Source: History of Greene County MO; edited by Return Ira Holcombe; 1883]
CLINTON A. ARMSTRONG
CLINTON A. ARMSTRONG, junior member of the firm of Smithson & Armstrong, is a son of George and Margaret (Orr) Armstrong, natives, respectively, of Virginia and Tennessee. After marriage they settled in that part of this county, formerly included in Bedford County. Their family consisted of ten children, nine of whom are living. The father followed the occupation of a tiller of the soil and was also engaged in stock trading. He did not aspire to public places, but rather chose to perform the duties of a quiet citizen. the mother was a member of the Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church, and is still living on the old homestead at the ripe old age of seventy-six. Our subject was born in Marshall County, was reared on the farm and educated in the common schools. He subsequently attended Lewisburg Academy. In 1868 he commenced reading law with Col. W. N. Cowden, and the following year was admitted to the bar. In 1869 he led to alter Maggie Kercheval, by whom he had two children, one of whom is living. For seven years he was partner of Col. Cowden, but afterward went into partnership with Smithson, which continues to the present. Mrs. Armstrong was a member of the Presbyterian Church; she died April 20, 1886. Mr. Armstrong is a Democrat, and has been practicing his profession for seventeen years in Lewisburg, and has received his share of the business of the county. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
JAMES HAMILTON ARMSTRONG
Farmer; born Rutherford Co., Tenn., May 8, 1853; Irish descent; son of William Abel and Adeline (Wright) Armstrong; married twice, first Araminda Lee, Oct. 1, 1874, second Kate Thweatt, Dec. 27, 1900; Democrat, Independent; besides large farming interests is Director and Stockholder in Bellbuckle Bank, Director and Stockholder in Inter-Southern Life Insurance Co.; started life without any property as a farmer boy; member of Missionary Baptist church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
ANDREW ERVIN ATKINSON
A. E. ATKINSON was born in Marshall County, Tenn, January 23, 1817. His father, John Atkinson, was born in Virginia about 1774, and first married a Miss Dunn, who bore him seven children. His second wife was Nancy McClaren, and our subject is the fourth of their eight children. John Atkinson came to Tennessee about 1800, and was one of the first pioneers of the country, and was elected magistrate soon after his arrival. There being no other magistrate in the county, he was obliged to swear himself into office and held the position until his death in 1829, with the exception of one year, when he was a member of the State Legislature. He also served as chairman of the county court several terms. Our subject has been a school-teacher for thirty-five or thirty-six years, teaching twelve months in the year a portion of the time. He also farmed, and June 5, 1838, he wedded Elizabeth C. Stem, and the following children are the result of their union: F. M., Mary A., (Mrs. A. S. Turrentine), Christina C. (Mrs. W. H. Clark), W. E. and J. R. Mrs. Atkinson died November 2, 1867, a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Atkinson married his second wife, Jane Edwards, April 6, 1870. Mr. Atkinson has a fair education, which he has obtained manly through his own exertions. Up to the date of the late war he was an old-line Whig. Since that time he has been a Democrat. [The Goodspeed History of Bedford County TN 1886]
BACK -- HOME