JOHN A. BARRETT
John A. Barrett, a farmer and stock raiser, was born July 11, 1843, son of Leroy W. and Lucy B. (Knight) Barrett. The father was born in Bedford County March 29, 1818, and has been a merchant and farmer all his life. March 11, 1841, he was united in marriage, and is the father of three children, all dead with the exception of our subject. The mother was born March 20, 1824, and had been a worthy member of the Christian Church for a period of thirty years. She died March 22, 1875. The father, Leroy W. Barrett, is living at the present time in Rome, Ga., and after the dearth of his first wife married Mrs. Mary Dolby, a native of Wheeling Va. He is engaged in the mercantile business. Our subject was born in Bedford County, was given a fair education in the town of Shelbyville, and at the age of eighteen enlisted in the Confederate Army in the Forty-first Tennessee, Infantry, Regiment. He was in the battles of Vicksburg, Port Hudson, Raymond, Jackson, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, and numerous other important battles. After the war he came back to this county, and February 21, 1865, was married to Miss Jane B. Holt, of this county. This union has be quite successful of three children: James L., Eugene A. and Charlie. Mr. Barrett has been quite successful in business, and owns 650 acres of fine land. He is considered one of the leading farmers of the county. [The Goodspeed History of Bedford County TN, 1886]
A. P. (DOCK) BAXTER, a native of Tennessee, was born September 1, 1844, son of James M. and Sarah R. (Grant) Baxter, both natives of Tennessee. Our subject's maternal grandfather was a soldier in the war of 1812, and for services rendered received a pension for a number of years prior to his death. Our subject remained with his parents on the farm until he was twenty-one, and received a limited education on account of the late civil war, which broke into his schooling. He has follower agricultural pursuits in which he has been moderately successful, the principal part of his life. August 26, 1866, he was united in marriage to Lucinda C. Stephenson, of this county, and to this union were born four children: William G., Effie, Mollie and Joseph C. He and family are leading members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Republican in politics. [Goodspeed History of Tennessee, 1886]
EDWIN WHITESIDE BEARDEN
Public official; born Shelbyville, Tenn., March 23, 1875; Scotch-Irish descent; son of Walter S. and Margaret C. (Whiteside) Bearden; father Chancellor of 5th Division Tenn.; paternal grandparents Dr. F.R. and Susan (Blake) Bearden; maternal grandparents Thomas C. and Margaret (Robinson) Whiteside; educated S.W.P. University, Clarksville, Tenn. and Cumberland University Law School, Lebanon, Tenn., graduated from the latter LL.B. June, 1897; married Juliet C. Ryall Jan. 25, 1899; Democrat; Clerk and Master of the Chancery Court of Bedford Co., Tenn. since Jan., 1900; member insurance firm of Bearden & Craigmiles; member Presbyterian church.[Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WALTER S. BEARDEN
Walter S. Bearden, a prominent attorney of Shelbyville, was born in Lincoln County, Tenn., January 10, 1843, being one of two children (twins) born to the marriage of Dr. B. F. Bearden and Susan M. Blake. The father was a native of South Carolina, but lived and died in Lincoln County, Tenn. He was a man of great learning and breadth, and was eminent in the profession of medicine. He died in 1870 and five years afterward the mother died. He received a good early education and at the age of fifteen began teaching as an assistant in an academy. He entered the Emory and Henry College of Virginia and was in that school when the war broke out. He then enlisted in Company E, Forty-first Tennessee as second lieutenant, and remained in the service throughout the war. He was elected second lieutenant of the company upon its second organization, and commanded the company the last year of the war., He received three wounds, on e of which was serious. Returning from the service he began the study of law, and in 1866 began the practice of his profession in Shelbyville, where he has made himself a leading member of the bar. He has never aspired to political honor till this year (1886), when he was announced as candidate for chancellor of his district. He was married, February 17, 1874, to Maggie C. Whiteside, daughter of Col. T. C. Whiteside. He has a family of four children by this marriage. Politically, he was reared a Whig, but is now a Democrat. Himself and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. He is a Knight Templar Mason and at one time was the youngest High Priest in Royal Arch Masonry of the State. As a citizen he is well known and highly respected. [Goodspeed History of Tennessee, 1886]
WALTER S. BEARDEN
Lawyer, Chancellor Fifth Chancery Division; born Petersburg, Lincoln County, Tenn., January 10, 1843; son of Benjamin Franklin and Susan Margaret (Blake) Bearden; father’s occupation physician; paternal grandparents Benj. F. and _____ (Wright) Bearden; maternal grandparents John W. and Mary (Morgan) Blake; Scotch, Irish, French and Huguenot descent; educated Emory and Henry College, Va.; left college to go to war; taught school summer of 1861; made speeches every Saturday to help raise a company of infantry; taught school at 15 and was teacher of a large school at 16; married Margaret Cooper Whiteside February 17, 1874; member F. & A.M., Tannehill Chapter, R.A.M., Murfreesboro Commandery K.T.; Trinity Consistory No. 2, Nashville, Tenn., Scottish Rite, 32nd degree Mason, honorary member Century Club, Columbia, Tenn.; elected Chancellor Fourth Chancery Division in 1886; was Chancellor of that division for sixteen years; became Chancellor of Fifth Chancery Division 1902; served in army of C.S.A.; promoted once and tendered another; finally Captain July, 1864; was wounded in battle at Peachtree Creek; wounded later July, 1864, near Atlanta, and later at battle of Jonesboro; August 31, 1864 was captured at surrender of Fort Donelson; paroled Meridian, Miss. 1865; has served as Chancellor in a large chancery division for twenty-four years continuously, and was again elected in 1910; member of Presbyterian Church. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
LEM F. BELL
Lem F. Bell moved to Springfield with his parents when he was but four years of age and he was educated in the local schools and in the Webb School at Bellbuckle, Bedford county. His three ambitions were: first, to have a large diamond; second, to be a news butcher; and third, to gain a college education. The latter two ambitions he outgrew, however, as he was married in his junior year at the Webb School, but he realized his first, for his wife presented him with a beautiful diamond and an apology for having been the cause of his blighted ambitions. In 1893 Mr. Bell made his initial step into the grain and feed retail and wholesale business and three years later he associated with C. A. Bell & Company, a general merchandise concern. He was active in that connection until 1904, since which time he has been in the fertilizer and implement business as a successor to C. A. Bell & Company. The business is now conducted under the name of Lem F. Bell & Company. He is likewise associated with the wholesale wire, seed and implement business of Bell, Long & Geistman, who also represent the International Harvester Company. This firm is located at Nashville. Mr. Bell has been president of the Tennessee Retail Hardware Association and he was one of the committee of one hundred of the Chamber of Commerce of the United States. During the World war he served as chairman of innumerable committees and gave generously of his time and money in the furtherance of the government's interests. On the 17th of May, 1893, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Bell to Miss Lizzie Stark, a daughter of John W. and Polly Ann (Powell) Stark, both natives of Tennessee. To their union three children have been born: Dick, who is twenty-eight years of age and was in the United States army during the World war but did not serve overseas; Mattie, who is the wife of R. F. Long, cashier of the Peoples Bank of Springfield, and the mother of one child, Betsey; and Polly, who is the wife of John C. Pope, a successful tobacconist of Springfield. Mr. Bell is a strict adherent of the democratic party and the principles for which it stands. He indulges in politics only as a pastime and has never sought nor desired public preferment. He assisted in the management of Austin Peay's campaign for governor in 1918. He failed of election but is now an active factor in the present campaign of Mr. Peay for the same office. Mr. Bell managed John Thomason's campaign for comptroller of the state, and Mr. Thomason was elected and still fills that office; and he also managed the second campaign of Ham Patterson in this county for governor.
He, together with Ad Payne, likewise managed Albert H. Roberts' campaign for governor. Mr. Bell numbers among his friends some of the most prominent men in the country and he was a schoolmate of Edward Elliott, a brother-in-law of ex-President Woodrow Wilson. Mr. Bell is fitting up a farmers' rest room over his store, where the farmers and their wives may make their headquarters during their visits to town. It will have every convenience and comfort of a fine club and will be one of the valuable assets of Springfield in attracting trade for the home stores. Although never having realized his ambition for a college education and having achieved substantial success without it, Mr. Bell is a stanch supporter of advanced education and he raised most of the money for the building of the Peoples-Tucker Preparatory school, extended mention of which institution is made elsewhere in this work. For many years Mr. Bell has been secretary and treasurer of the school and he is one of its largest donators. He is very proud of this institution and considers it one of the best assets of the county. Mr. Bell is a man of scholarly attainments, and the library in his home is one of the finest and most complete in Springfield. He is now interested in selling his old home and he plans to build one of the most modern residences in this city. According to his plans there will be but one sleeping room, a sleeping porch, a library, kitchen and breakfast room. Mr. and Mrs. Bell do not wish a more spacious home, as their children are all grown up and away from home. The residence will be constructed of stucco on tile, making the house warm in winter and cool in summer. Mr. Bell is conceded to be one of the leading citizens in Springfield and he well merits the confidence and esteem in which he is held by his fellow citizens. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN, 1886]
THOMAS H. BELL
THOMAS H. BELL, farmer, was born February 27, 1820, in Wilson County, and had a limited advantage for schooling though he has supplied the deficiency by private study. At the age of nineteen he was joined in marriage to Martha A. O'Neal, who was born in 1824. This union resulted in the birth of six children. At the end of ten years the mother died and in 1854 our subject wedded Elizabeth J. Bruce, who was born April 27, 1834. This union was blessed by the birth of twelve children. Mr. Bell is a supporter of Democratic principles and he and wife are active members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He has held the office of constable, deputy sheriff and magistrate, respectively. He was a strong Union man and is a solid prohibitionist. He has on of the best farms of 130 acres in the county though he has devoted considerable time to house carpentering, running engines and superintending mills. He is a son of Fielding and Elizabeth (Jenkins) Bell. The father was born in Virginia and came to Tennessee in 1802. The mother was a native of Tennessee and was a daughter of Col. Jenkins of Revolutionary fame. After marriage they moved to Wilson and finally to Bedford County in 1826 where they spent the remainder of their days. In 1854 the father died and in 1879 the mother, too, passed away. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN, 1886]
THOMPSON HILES BERRY
Hardware merchant; born Lynchburg, Tenn., Dec. 18, 1861; Scotch-Irish and German descent; son of William Wade and Adaline (Hiles) Berry; father’s occupation manufacturer and farmer; grandson of Benjamin H. and Ann (Ingle) Berry, and Joseph and Abbie (Anthony) Hiles; educated Lynchburg (Tenn.) Normal School and graduated from same Dec. 20, 1879; began career as salesman for a grocery house in Fort Worth, Texas; entered hardware business and selling implements and buggies in 1881; married Ida Virginia Camp June 3, 1890; member Royal Arcanum, Fraternal Mystic Circle; Democrat; former Mayor and Alderman of Shelbyville, Tenn.; member of Missionary Baptist church.[Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
ROBERT B. BIGHAM
ROBERT B. BIGHAM, farmer and trader, was born in Rutherford County, Tenn., July 4, 1828, son of Elihu H. and Mary (Lisenby) Bigham, and of Irish descent. The father of our subject was born in North Carolina in 1799, and his mother in Anson County, N. C., in 1805. They were married in Rutherford County, Tenn., about 1823, and became the parents of five children, of whom our subject is the third. The Bigham family were among the early settlers of Tennessee, having come tot he State when the father of our subject was a small boy and settled in Rutherford County, Tenn. Elihu H. Bigham died on the old homestead in 1873, and the mother, who is eighty-one years old is still living and enjoying good health and an unusual amount of activity for a person of her age. Our subject received a fair education in the common schools and remained with his parents until he reached his majority. Since then he has followed the business of farming. During the civil ware he enlisted in the Confederate Army and was assigned a position in the commissary department under Maj.-Gen. James P. Cummings, where he served throughout the war. Our subject has been married twice, the first time, January 21, 1851, to Miss Mary J. Hoover, who was born October 6, 1833, and who is the daughter of William Hoover. To this union were born five children: William L., Granville H., Samuel B., Robert L. and Sallie A. Mr. Bigham was married the last time, February 13, 1883, to Miss Sue F. Burks, of Bedford County, Tenn., born April 13, 1853. To this union was born one son, Roy B. Mr. Bigham is a Democrat, a Mason, and he and his wife are members of the Christian Church. The grandfather of our subject, Samuel Bigham, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. He participated in the battle of Camden, under command of Gen. Gates, where the American forces were totally defeated. There is a $2 bill of the old Continental issue still in possession of the family and in a good state of preservation, which he received from the government in payment for services in that war. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN, 1886]
GRANVILLE CROCKETT BINGHAM
Farmer; born Fosterville, (Rutherford Co) Tenn., April 22, 1864; Irish descent; son of John D. and Nancy (Pearson) Bingham; father’s occupation farmer; educated at Fosterville, Tenn., (Academic); entered farming in early youth, has devoted his life to that vocation; married Olive Gilmore Dec 23, 1890; member of K.P. and W.O.W.; Democrat (Regular); school commissioner, Bedford Co., Tenn.; member Christian church. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WILLIAM BLACKBURN, a well-to-do citizen of this county, was born in Tennessee May 30, 1831. His parents, Robert and Lucy (Ferguson) Blackburn, were born in the Old Dominion February 5, 1796, and June 25, 1799, and died December 28, 1874, and September 6, 1865, respectively. They were married in 1818, and to their union were born five daughters and two sons. Three of the children are yet living. Our subject has spent the greater part of his life on a farm and has followed farming from early boyhood. In 1859 his marriage to May M. Sutton was celebrated. She was born in Tennessee December 1, 1840, and is the daughter of John and Jane (Marr) Sutton. Mr. and Mrs. Blackburn have four children born to their union, as follows: Lucy J., born March 4, 1860; Elizabeth, born December 20, 1861; John born June 13, 1864, died May 5, 1883; and Martha, born November 28, 1866. Our subject's farm consists of 270 acres of good land. He deals quite extensively in tobacco, and although he began life a poor boy, he has accumulated considerable property. He has been a member of the Baptist Church for twenty years and his wife for over thirty years. In politics Mr. Blackburn is neutral. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
Banker; born Wartrace, Tenn., March 7, 1876; English descent; son of Samuel G. and Amanda J. (Lawrence) Blackman; educated at Wartrace (Tenn.) High School; early occupation in railroad telegraph office, two years, then entered the mercantile business as member of the firm of Dean & Blackman, of Wartrace, Tenn. two years, then he became operator and asst. train dispatcher in office of the Superintendent of N.C. & St. L. Ry., which position he held two years, he entered his present position as cashier of Bedford County Bank of Wartrace, Tenn.; married twice, first Annie Mai McKinley Jan. 25, 1899, second Mabel Justice Sept. 8, 1908; Democrat; mayor of Wartrace, Tenn. 1904-08; member of Baptist church, and deacon in same at Wartrace, Tenn. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JOHN N. BLACKWELL
John N. Blackwell is a son of James Blackwell, and both are native Tennesseeans. The Former was born October 5, 1828. The mother's maiden name was Delilia Darnall; she was a native of Illinois. John N. has farmed for himself since attaining his twenty-first year. He is a self-made man, and has accumulated a comfortable competency by his unaided efforts. In 1853 he was united in marriage to Miss Martha Wood, a native of Bedford County, and daughter of W. M. and E. Wood. This union resulted in eleven children. The following are those who are living: William N., John A., Thomas J., Samantha A. (Mrs. C. A. Shaw), Samuel J. and Charity D. Mr. Blackwell is an honest and respected citizen. He was a soldier in the late war, enlisting in Company G, Thirty-second Regiment Tennessee Infantry, in 1862. He was captured at Tullahoma in 1864 and took the oath of allegiance and gave bond for his appearance. He is, politically, a Democrat. [History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Goodspeed Publishing Co.; 1886]
Eugene Blakemore, the genial postmaster of Shelbyville, was born July 28, 1852, at Lewisburg, Tenn., being a son of George W. Blakemore, a native of Lincoln County, Tenn. The father read medicine in his native county, and commenced the practice of this profession at Flat Creek, Bedford County. He afterward practiced in Shelbyville for a time, and then removed to Lewisburg. He then again returned to Shelbyville, where he died in 1874. The mother of Eugene was Cassie E. Winston, a native of Marshall County. The father was married three times; his last wife is now living in Tullahoma, Tenn. Eugene was reared in Shelbyville, and had the advantages of the schools here. He married at the age of twenty, and engaged in farming near Shelbyville for four years. He then removed to Shelbyville, and for two years ran a dray line; he then farmed another year, and then bought and ran a grist-mill at Shelbyville for six months. After this he engaged in the livery and mule-trading business for three years, doing the leading livery business of the place. He sold out that business in 1884, and has since been farming and trading. He was appointed postmaster March 29, 1886, and has filled the office with efficiency. He was married, in 1872, (24 December) to Miss Ludie P. Newton, a daughter of James S. Newton, deceased, a farmer of this county. Two children have been born to this union, viz; Frank N. and Eugene W. Mr. Blakemore and wife are members of the enterprising and respected citizens of the county. [History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Goodspeed Publishing Co.; 1886]
BENJAMIN W. BLANTON
Benjamin W. Blanton, a leading merchant of Wartrace, was born November 22, 1835, in Rutherford County, Tenn. He is the fifth of ten children born to Benjamin and Martha (Farmer) Blanton, natives, respectively, of Virginia and Tennessee, and both of English descent. In 1818 the father of our subject immigrated to Rutherford County, Tenn., and partly on his farm was fought the battle of Murfreesboro. During the battle his dwelling-house and other buildings were used as a hospital for the Federal Army, and the farm was completely devastated. In 1865 he sold this farm and moved to Unionville, Bedford County, where he lived until his death, which occurred in 1885. The mother of our subject died in 1869. Our subject was educated at Asbury Academy, near Murfreesboro, and at the high school in the latter place. He remained with his parents until reaching his majority, and then followed railroad bridge building until 1873, when he went into the mercantile business at Wartrace, where he still remains. He carries a large stock of goods and does a very successful business. In 1871 he married Miss F. E. Bray, of Lincoln County, Tenn., and the fruits of this union were three children: Lula, Annie and Robert Lee. Mr. Blanton is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows’ fraternities, and , with the exception of three years prior to the present year, he held the office of mayor of Wartrace ever since 1873. He is now president of the Wartrace Male and Female Institute, also of the Wartrace Hollywood Cemetery, and a member of the board of education, of Wartrace. He is secretary of the Democratic Executive Committee, of Bedford County, and he an family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
GEORGE W. BOUNDS
George W. Bounds was born in Scott County, Va., September 25, 1818. His parents and grandparents were natives of the same State, and his maternal grandfather was a Revolutionary soldier. Our subject learned the saddler's trade, serving an apprenticeship from thirteen to twenty years of age. He then worked at his trade in Estillville a short time, and came to Tennessee in order to vote for Gen. Harrison, as the right of suffrage was extended only to those who were householders or freeholders in their native State. He worked at his trade about six years, and then joined Col. Haskell’s regiment, and served in the Mexican war as orderly sergeant and then as second lieutenant, participating in many of its bloodiest battles. He was mustered out of service but at the call for more troops he again joined and was elected lieutenant-colonel of the Fifth Tennessee Regiment, which was independent, George B. McClellan being colonel. During a shore time while the latter was sick our subject acted as colonel in his place. He was discharged at Memphis in July, 1848. At the breaking out of the civil war he was not in sympathy with the Southern cause, and although he was forced to join a company of militia, he was honorably discharged at the reorganization of the army. He then held aloof from the army as far as it was in his power to do, it being wholly against his will or desire to take up arms against the Government. Since the war he has voted the Republican ticket exclusively. He was married, November 18, 1853, to Mary A. Pope. Their union has resulted in six children: James C., born September 23, 1854, and died March 23, 1876; Bettie, born April 30, 1856, wife of Thomas Joyce; John, born November 14, 1857; Fannie, born June 21, 1859; Ann, born July 3, 1860, and died April 23, 1878, and June, born July 6, 1863, and died July 13, 1863. Our subject has been a successful man throughout life, and was considered a brave and faithful officer and soldier in the Mexican war. He is a substantial citizen of Bedford County and a man of influence. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
F. M. BOWLING, son of Joseph and Elizabeth Bowling, was born eight miles east of Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tenn., September 23, 1847. He resided with his parents near Bradyville, in the same county, till ten years old, then removed with them near Murfreesboro, where they are (1886) living. The first twenty years of our subject's life were spent upon the farm, devoting his leisure time to study, and caring for his disabled father and four brothers and one sister. In January, 1868, he entered Union University at Murfreesboro, Tenn., and remained there until June 12, 1873, receiving the degree of A.M. Previous to this he had chosen teaching as his profession, and in August, 1873, he took charge of a large school at Leeville, Tenn., and after successfully conduction it to its close he accepted a position with Prof. J. E. Nowlin in the Masonic Institute, Hartsville, Tenn., and afterward became a partner with him in the school. While in this school, August 26, 1874, he wedded Miss Susan E. Sanders, daughter of Jesse B. and Mary A. Sanders, who resided near Murfreesboro. To them were born three children: Herbert Manly, born July 9, 1875; Edna Frank, born June 29, 1877, and Mary Myrtle, born May 23, 1882. Mr. Bowling and Prof. Nowlin dissolved partnership by mutual consent, and in January, 1876, he took charge of Unionville High School, where he is now (1886) living. He has been principal of the school ever since, with the exception of the spring term of 1881, when he was associated with Prof. B. F Hooker, as joint-principal of Milan college, Milan, Tenn. He has devoted himself earnestly and faithful to the cause of education and has taken part in many educational enterprises in the hope of elevating his chosen profession, and has been called upon to fill prominent positions in different education institutions in the county. He follows no text-book in particular, but selects the best methods from different books. He joined the Missionary Baptist Church in the fall of 1866, and takes a deep interest in Sunday-school work, and is now superintendent of the Unionville Sunday-school, which has an average attendance of ninety-five. He is also a strong supporter of temperance. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
JOHN FRANKLIN BOYD
Milling and electric light and power business; born Logan County, Ky., October 18, 1852; son of W.L. and Martha (Burchett) Boyd; father was a miller; common school education; worked in flour mill in early youth; married Amy Dove Forman March 28, 1888; member of the Church of Christ; interested in flour mills at Olmstead and Irvington, Ky., and flour, milling and electric light and power business at Shelbyville, Tenn.[Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
ROBERT S. BROWN
Lawyer; born near Shelbyville, (Bedford Co) Tenn., Oct. 27, 1844; Scotch-Irish descent; son of Solomon and Evaline (Kimmons) Brown; father a farmer; educated public schools, and spent two years in Unionville Academy; began his career as a merchant; married Alice M. Booker Feb. 24, 1864; Republican; active in politics; was elected Justice of the Peace when he was 31; served twelve years as Postmaster at Murfreesboro, Tenn.; studied law and admitted to Bar in 1891; elected County Attorney and served as same until 1898; he is now actively engaged in practice of law; Director of Murfreesboro Bank & Trust Co., stockholder in Peoples Bank of Eagleville, Tenn., and owner of farm lands; member of Church of Christ.[Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JOHN A. BRAMBLETT
John A. Bramblett was born August 13, 1813, in Georgia. His father, John Bramblett, was a native of South Carolina, and of Irish descent. He immigrated to Georgia when young, and there married Miss Jennie Couch, a native of Georgia. To this union were born twelve children, our subject being the ninth. About 1832 John Bramblett moved form Georgia to this State, locating in in this county, near Wartrace. He was a farmer by occupation, and died in 1861. The mother died in the same year. Our subject was educated in the country schools of Bedford County and on reaching his majority was married to Miss L. C. Culley, a native of this county. To them were born these children: William E. (deceased), Mary J., Elizabeth F., James M., Newton A., George D. (deceased), Ada B. (deceased)., Walter T. and Idella. Mr. Bramblett is a farmer by occupation , and has 255 acres in District No. 2. In 1863 he was conscripted by the Confederate Government and held as a soldier six months against his will. He then left them and returned home inside the Federal lines. He was a strong Union man during the war and fully believed and still believes that the best friends of the South were those who adhered to the union of the States. He is a Republican in politics, and he and wife are members of the Primitive Baptist Church. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
ALFRED J. BRANDON
A man of broad culture and high mental attainments, Professor Alfred J. Brandon, of Shelbyville, head master of the Brandon Training School, has achieved honor and distinction in his profession, being widely and favorably known not only as a most capable and efficient educator, but for his connection in an official capacity with various county and state organizations composed of teachers. A native of Tennessee, he was born in Rutherford county, a son of Rev. Andrew J. Brandon, and grandson of Joseph Brandon, one of the earlier settlers of Cannon county, this state. His great-grandfather, Armstrong Brandon, was born in England during the latter part of the eighteenth century. In boyhood, while playing on the beach with his brother, he unfortunately cut him with a blade of grass, making a deep gash on his neck. Although the cutting was purely accidental, the two boys having been at play, Armstrong, fearing the wrath of his father, who was a very stern parent, ran away from home, emigrating to America, and never again hearing from any of his people. He settled in North Carolina, where he married, and reared his family, living there until his death.
Born and reared in North Carolina, Joseph Brandon migrated to Tennessee in pioneer days, making the overland trip with teams, and being long on the way, often having to blaze his own trail Taking up land in Cannon county, he cleared and improved a farm, on which he resided the remainder of his years. He married Sally Tenpenny, who was of German ancestry.
Andrew J. Brandon was born, in 1829, on the home farm, near Woodbury, Cannon county, where he received his rudimentary education. Joining the Missionary Baptist church at the age of eighteen years, he studied for the ministry, and later held pastorates in the Missionary Baptist churches of Cannon, Smith, Wilson, Bedford, and Franklin counties, being active in his ministerial labors for nearly half a century. He spent his last days retired, in Christiana, Rutherford county, passing away in the eighty-first year of his age. He married Melissa Lowe, who was born in Rutherford county, a daughter of Alfred Price and Melissa (Jetton) Lowe, and is now living in Christiana.
The only child of his parents, Alfred J. Brandon received his early mental training in the public schools of his native county, after which he continued his studies at Union University, and at the Winchester Normal College, where he was graduated, in 1884, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Immediately beginning his active career as a teacher, Professor Brandon taught for seven years in the Hermitage Institute, and the following two years was president of Woodbury College. Accepting then a position in Union University, he was an instructor there for a year and a half, after which he was for a year connected with the Bethel Training School at Guthrie, Kentucky. Retiring then to his farm in Christiana, the professor spent a year there, resting and recuperating. Professor Brandon then established the Brandon Training School at Wartrace, where he conducted it successfully for eleven years, when he transferred it to Tullahoma, where he remained for three years. In need then of rest and recreation, the professor gave up teaching for a year, and went to Colorado to recuperate. After spending a year in the invigorating air of the mountains of that state, he returned to Tennessee to accept his present position as head master of the Brandon Training School in Shelbyville. This institution has flourished under his able management, and in 1912 opened its sessions in one of the best planned and best equipped school buildings in the country. In this, its first year, over six hundred pupils are enrolled, representing five states of the Union, and many of the counties of Tennessee.
Prominent and popular in educational circles, Professor Brandon has served as president of the Public School Officers’ Association; as president of the Private School section of the State Teachers’ Association; and as chairman of the Teachers’ Conference of Cumberland University; and of the High School section of the Middle Tennessee Teachers’ Association. He is an active member of the American Geographical Society, and in 1891 edited the Cannon Courier, at Woodbury. Fraternally Professor Brandon belongs to the Wartrace Lodge, No. 536, Ancient Free and Accepted Order of Masons; and is also a member of Pythagoras Chapter, No. 150, Royal Arch Masons; and of the Knights Templar, Commandery No. 10. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist church at Christiana, where he has served many years as deacon, and while in Murfreesboro he was superintendent of the Sunday School. He was moderator of Concord Baptist Association for seven years.
Professor Brandon married January 2, 1889, Addie Lyon, daughter of Reverend P. A. and Mary (Lowe) Lyon, and they are parents of four children, namely: Lyon W., Hazel P., James Dean, and Alfred J. Jr. [Source: Tennessee the Volunteer State Vol 4]
ALFRED JOSEPH BRANDON
Alfred Joseph Brandon, teacher; born Murfreesboro, Tenn., Nov. 19, 1866; English-German descent; son of Andrew J. and Melissa P. (Lowe) Brandon; father’s occupation minister of the gospel (Baptist); paternal grandparents Joseph A. and Sallie (Tenpenny) Brandon; maternal grandparents Alfred P. and Mary (Kirk) Lowe; educated Union University, Murfreesboro, Tenn., graduated from Winchester Normal College and finished A.B. course in 1884; entered educational work in early life, and became principal of Hermitage Institute, later president of Woodbury (Tenn.) College, headmaster of Bethel Training School; founder and headmaster of Brandon Training School, Wartrace, Tenn., which position he now holds; married Addie Lyon Jan. 2, 1889; Royal Arch Mason; president of Public School Officers’ Association of Tennessee, vice-president of State Teachers Association and president High School Department M.T.E. Association; member and deacon in Baptist church. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
1893 - ??
Sheriff of Bedford County Tennessee. Mr. Brown was elected to the State Senate in 1927 from the 18th District. While in the Senate he was appointed to the most important committees of the Senate and served his district with honor and distinction. He has held the office of Sheriff for four years and is now serving another two year term as sheriff. He has made an efficient sheriff and has saved his county thousands of dollars. He also served two years as County Highway Commissioner being elected by an overwhelming vote of the people.
His parents were W.H. & Fannie (Curlin) Brown; his paternal grandparents, H.L. and Mary Tilford Brown, of Virginia;his maternal grandparents were Amos & Bettie (Hill) Curlin. He was educated in the public schools of Bedford County. He was born in that county on Sept. 11, 1893, of Scotch-Irish descent. He married Minnie Lee Neeley on Nov. 29, 1915 and later was married to Blanche Lamb on May 31, 1936. He is the father of two children, Martha Louise, 19, a student; Mary Ann, 11, Member of the Baptist Church; Mason; Scottish-Rite; American Legion. He served in the World War, 30th Div. in France for eleven months, being engaged in some important battles in the supply department. [Prominent Tennesseans, 1940]
JAMES B. BROWN
James B. Brown is a son of Henry Brown, a native of Wake County, N. C. The father received a limited education, and came to Tennessee in 1833, locating in Bedford County where he engaged in farming. He was married in 1830 to Miss Sarah K. Alston, whose ancestors were from North Carolina. To Mr. and Mrs. Brown were born the following family of children: Aley A., Comer N., S.L., L.S., J.J., A.S., J.B., Lucy F. and G.A. and one who died in infancy. Mr. Brown died at this residence near Shelbyville in 1875. He was a member of the order of Sons of Temperance, and he and his wife, who died in 1873, were members of the Missionary Baptist Church. James B., our subject, was born May 1, 1848, and spent his boyhood days on a farm. He entered the United States Military Academy at West Point when but eighteen years of age, and remained there about one year. He finished his education at the Union University at Murfreesboro, Tenn., after which he served an apprenticeship at photography, and followed that occupation three years. He then turned his attention to farming and horticulture, and his farm is known as the "Home Nursery Farm". He was married December 15, 1875, to Sarah J. Hix, daughter of John C. and Emily Hix, and by her is the father of five children: Cora E., Abbie P., Maud M., Alice E. and Lula S., who is deceased. Mr. Brown is a member of the Masonic and K. of H. Fraternities, and of the Missionary Baptist Church. [Unknown original source, added by C. Walters]
JAMES P. BROWN
James P. Brown is one of the family of children who were born to the marriage of William Brown and Jane G. Goodrum. The father was born in North Carolina in 1803, and about 1824 came to Shelbyville where he lived and died. He was a trader in live-stock, lands, etc., and became a well-to-do and prominent citizen of the county. He died in 1880. The mother was born in South Carolina in 1809, and died in 1882. The subject of his sketch was born July 30, 1838 in Bedford County. He was educated in Shelbyville, and remained with his parents until the war. He then enlisted in Company B, Forty-first Tennessee, and was in the service throughout the war. Returning from the war he engaged in the pursuit of farming, in which he continued very successfully till 1875. From 1868 to 1871 he lived in Texas, returning from there to Bedford County. In 1874 he went to Columbus, Miss., and engaged there in the brick-making and contracting business, and he yet continues that business here. In October, 18813, he opened his clothing trade, and carries a stock of about $8,000. He was married, in 1881, to Miss Kate Goodrum, a native of Forsyth, Ga. Two children have been born to this union, viz.: Paul M. and Annie L. Mr. Brown and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. Politically he is a firm Democrat. He has never aspired to office, but is a worthy respected citizen of the county. [Unknown original source, added by C. Walters]
JOE DAVID BROWN
1908 - ??
County Superintendent of Schools of Bedford County, Tennessee. Mr. Brown was educated in he schools of Bedford County; Cumberland University; University of Alabama; Teachers College, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, B.S. degree. He is a member of the Methodist Church; a Democrat. He was born in Wartrace, Tn on May 25, 1903. His ancestry is Scotch Irish. His parents were John Abernathy and Nellie Isom Brown; his paternal grandparent was David Brown; maternal grandparents, Joe & Mollie Graham Isom. He married Mary Ruth Davidson July 15, 1933. Mr. Brown taught schoolfor 14 years in the elementary and high schools of Bedford County and was elected County Superintendent in September 1935 for a four year term. He was elected by an unprecedented majority over a field of three candidates. He has filled this place with honor, being one of the most efficient superintendents Bedford County has ever had. He is the father of one child, Marie Gaynelle Brown, aged 2. His hobbies are fishing, bird hunting and football. [Prominent Tennesseans, 1940]
MARY A. BROWN
Mrs. Mary A. (Clary) Brown was born September 14, 1816, in North Carolina, daughter of William and Nancy (Wright) Clary, both natives of North Carolina. Our subject is the elder of two children born to her parents. May 23, 1834, she married J. R. Brown, a native of East Tennessee, born May 10, 1811. He was a tailor by trade, and worked at this profession about twelve years. He was married in Madison County, Ala., and while in that State was engaged in these different occupations: Tailoring, merchandising and farming. In 1850 he immigrated to Tennessee, and engaged in the merchandise business at Unionville, and continued there several years. He then engaged in the saw-mill business, but at the same time continuing his farming interests, and was engaged in the latter business at the time of his death, which occurred January 22, 1875. He was an exemplary member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. To our subject and husband were born thirteen children, seven of whom are dead. These living are Nancy J., William C., Lucinda C., James P., Thomas D., and Joseph E. Our subject is a woman of considerable influence in this section. Her son, Thomas D., is living with her, superintending the farm. He is a local minister for the Methodist Episcopal Church. [unknown original source, added by C. Walters]
ROBERT S. BROWN
Lawyer; born near Shelbyville, (Bedford Co) Tenn., Oct. 27, 1844; Scotch-Irish descent; son of Solomon and Evaline (Kimmons) Brown; father a farmer; educated public schools, and spent two years in Unionville Academy; began his career as a merchant; married Alice M. Booker Feb. 24, 1864; Republican; active in politics; was elected Justice of the Peace when he was 31; served twelve years as Postmaster at Murfreesboro, Tenn.; studied law and admitted to Bar in 1891; elected County Attorney and served as same until 1898; he is now actively engaged in practice of law; Director of Murfreesboro Bank & Trust Co., stockholder in Peoples Bank of Eagleville, Tenn., and owner of farm lands; member of Church of Christ. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
GEORGE DEFOREST BRUSH
Artist; born Shelbyville, (Bedford co) Tenn., Sept. 28, 1855; son of Alfred Clark and Nancy (Douglass) Brush; educated Ecole des Beaux Arts, Paris, under Gerome, and upon his return to United States opened up a studio in New York City; awarded first Hallgarten prize in 1888, medal, World’s Columbia Exposition, Chicago, 1893, and the Temple Gold Medal at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in 1897; awarded gold medal, Paris Exposition 1900, where he exhibited “The Artist” and “Mother and Child;” gold medal Buffalo Exposition 1901, St. Louis 1904; married Mittie Taylor Whelpie Jan. 13, 1887; member of Artists’ Fund Society. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
T. G. BUCHANAN, senior member of the firm of Buchanan & Woods, was born March 25, 1852, in Lincoln County, Tenn. His father was T. W. Buchanan, who moved to this county before the war and to Shelbyville about the close of the war. He was an extensive merchant of Shelbyville. In 1878 he was joined by the subject of this sketch, and the firm was then known as T.W. Buchanan & Son. He died November 4, 1884, leaving a family of five children and their mother, Sarah (Davis) Buchanan. T.W. Buchanan was a very prominent citizen of this county. He was a director of the National Bank, a director of the Sylvan Mills, and was prominently connected with the school interests of Bedford County. He was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and a liberal supporter of all charitable and benign institutions. The immediate subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, and received a good early education. He clerked in his father's store five years previous to entering the firm (1878). Since then he has been very successfully engaged in merchandising. The firm now do a yearly business of about $50,000 and carry about $25,000 stock of dry goods, clothing, hats, caps, boots and shoes, gents furnishing goods, etc. Mr. Buchanan is a director in the Sylvan Mills, and owns about 1,000 acres of land. He married, in 1878, C. S. White, born in this county. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Buchanan is an enterprising and influential businessman of Shelbyville. J. A. Woods, junior member and buyer in the firm of Buchanan & Woods, was born November 8, 1861, near Wartrace, Bedford County, being a son of George B. Woods, who was a merchant of Shelbyville. The father was born in Coffee County, and in his childhood moved to Bedford County, near Wartrace, where he lived till 1863 when he came to Shelbyville. He was president of the Bedford County Temperance Association; he was also identified with the school interests of the county. He married Miss Margaret Clark, who became the mother of three children, J. A. being the eldest. The father died August 12, 1880, and the mother is now living. J. A. was reared in Shelbyville, and clerked in his father's store. After his father's death he engaged with T. W. Buchanan & Son as salesman and buyer, continuing in that capacity till January 1, 1884, when he entered the firm of Buchanan & Woods. He is a member of the Y.M.C.A., and takes an active interest in Sunday-school work; he is now assistant superintendent of the Presbyterian Sunday-school here. [Goodspeeds History of Tennessee]
JOHN S. BUTLER
JOHN S. BUTLER, clerk and master of the chancery court of Bedford County, was born in Rutherford County, Tenn., March 13, 1832, being one of nine children raised by William S. and Nancy E. (Campbell) Butler. The father was a native of North Carolina and came to Shelbyville in 1816, and till 1830 pursued the carpenter's trade. In 1819 he removed to Rutherford County, where he married the mother, and followed farming after 1830. He died in 1873; the mother is still living. The subject of this sketch engaged at the age of eighteen on the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad, occupying various positions, among which were, conductor, telegraph operator, ticket and express agent, remaining in that employ for eleven years. He enlisted in Maney’s First Tennessee Regiment, Confederate States Army, and was captain on the first and second organization of Company F. He was appointed military superintendent of telegraph lines in 1863, of Bragg’s division, and served in that capacity throughout the remainder of the war. After the war he lived one year in Nashville as agent of the Nashville & Northwestern Railroad. In 1866 he came to Shelbyville and engaged at farming and saw-milling and still continues farming. He was elected magistrate of the Twenty-first District about 1876, and September 5, 1883 was appointed to his present office. Politically he is a Democrat. In 1866 he was married to Mary A. Sims, a native of this county. Four children have been born to this union, viz.: Nancy J., Laura, Mary and John S. [Source: Goodspeeds History of Tennessee]
ISHAM P. BYROM
Isham P. Byrom is one of the young men of this city who has had a career of more or less prominence from the time when he concluded his college course up to the present hour. His varied public service culminated in 1912 in his election to the state legislature, and thus far his service has been one that has reflected honor and credit upon his manhood and citizenship. Born on Thompsons Creek, in Bedford county, Tennessee, on May 7,1887, Mr. Byrom is the son of B. J. Byrom and his wife, Dora Price Byrom The father was a Baptist minister, born in Bedford county, this state, in 1846, and the mother was likewise born in that county, in 1858. They were married in 1883, and their one child is Isham P., of this review.
B. J. Byrom, father of the subject, was the son of John Byrom, who came from Virginia and located in Bedford county, Tennessee, in his young manhood. He married a Miss Short and they reared a large family. The father was a Baptist preacher and during the Civil war served in the Confederate army as a chaplain. A number of his sons also gave service in the Rebellion, among them being Joe Byrom, a lieutenant with Lee in Virginia; George Byrom served through the. war as a captain, and James Byrom was a private in a Tennessee regiment. B. J. Byrom was too young for service at that time, else he would have shared in the fortunes of war with his father and brothers. He was educated in the common schools, and when he reached man's estate he continued in farm work, his advent into the ministry not taking place until he was about forty years old. He preached for years in Bedford county, in the vicinity of Thompsons Creek, and was one of the best known preachers of his time in that district.
Isham P. Byrom as a boy in the home at Thompsons Creek, where he was born, attended the school at that place, and later was permitted to attend Brandon Training School at Tallahoma, and "Winchester Normal College at "Winchester, that institution being known today as Winchester School. He finished his education at the University of Chattanooga, and in 1911 was admitted to the bar. He began practice in Winchester, forming a partnership with Judge Prank Lynch, and continued there in practice until higher duties called him. It should be mentioned here, however, that Mr. Byrom at the age of sixteen taught in the public schools of Franklin county, and during the years when he was taking his college training, his studies were interspersed with periods of teaching, one year being devoted to educational work in Jasper county, Georgia. He was deputy register of Franklin county under J. A. Anderson, and was elected a member of the executive committee representing the Seventh district. He was elected assistant sergeant at arms in the House of Representatives in 1907, and in 1909 was defeated when he went up for clerk of the Senate. In that year he came to Winchester and edited the Winchester Herald, and he is now owner of the Herald Printing Company.
In 1912 Mr. Byrom became a candidate for Representative on the Democratic ticket, being opposed by two former Representatives - J. P. P. Carroll and W. T. Sublett. He received the nomination at the primaries on April 27, receiving a heavy majority over his two opponents. Soon after his nomination he announced that he would not support Patterson for the United States Senate, and Patterson came to Winchester, where he expressed himself most strongly against Mr. Byrom's campaign. Mr. A. J. Skidmore opposed him in a bitter and hard fought contest, and in November Mr. Byrom defeated his opponent by a majority of 1,537, or more than four to one. He became a candidate for the office of speaker of the state House of Representatives soon after, but was defeated. At the present time Mr. Byrom is serving on the Committee on Ways and Means, the Judiciary Committee, the Committee on Charitable Institutions; he is secretary of the Committee on Public Grounds and Public Buildings, chairman of the Committee on Railroads, and a member of the committee to draft revenues, assessment laws and bills. He was recently appointed head of the Pension Department in the comptroller's office, and in all these connections has been found capable, honorable and efficient
On December 22, 1907, Mr. Byrom was married to Allie Dance, the daughter of W. S. Dance, of Franklin county, who is one of the prominent and prosperous farmers of the county. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Byrom - Florella Ruth Byrom.
Mr. Byrom is a member of the Baptist church and his wife owns allegiance to the Methodist Episcopal church, South. His fraternal relations are with the Woodmen of the Word, Winchester camp, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Loyal Order of the Red Cross, of Winchester. He is also a Mason, with membership, in Cumberland Lodge No. 188, A. F. & A. M.
Though still young in years, only twenty-six, Mr. Byrom has made an unusual success in business and politics. He is the owner of two fine farms, and is the proprietor of the Herald Printing Company, as well as owning a drug business in his home city, and is vice president of the Tennessee River Railroad Company. Few young men have the record of success that Mr. Byrom might boast, and he is everywhere accorded the sincere good wishes and approval of his fellows, who have not been slow to recognize his many excellent qualities of heart and mind. [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
BACK -- HOME