CHARLES L. CANNON
Charles L. Cannon was born February 14, 1813, in Shelbyville, Bedford Co., Tenn., and is now the oldest living person born in that town. His father, Clement Cannon, was a native of North Carolina, born in the later part of the last century. He was of English descent and immigrated to Tennessee with his parents, locating in Williamson County, where he was reared and became a surveyor of lands. He afterward purchased a large tract of land in Bedford County, and in 1806 he donated 100 acres of this to the county where Shelbyville now stands for a county seat. He married Miss Susan Lock, a native of Virginia and a resident of Rutherford County. To this union were born six children. The father was a soldier in the war of 1812 and died January 19, 1860. Our subject was educated at Shelbyville and upon reaching his majority began the business of farming, which he has always followed. December, 1842, Miss Mary A. Hooser, a native of this county and a daughter of William and Rebecca (Coots) Hooser, became his wife. To this union the following children were born: Susan R. (deceased), Maria L. (deceased), William H., Thomas C. (deceased), Lettie C. (now Mrs. Phillip Wilhoite), John H. (deceased), Mary R. (now Mrs. William H. Tilferd), Charles L. (deceased), Macon B. and Charles B. Our subject owns a farm on 550 acres about five miles east of Shelbyville, where he now resides. He is a Democrat in politics and he and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mr. Cannon is a nephew of Gov. Cannon and also a nephew of Gen. Robert Cannon. [Goodspeeds History of TN]
JOHN T. CANNON
John T. Cannon, the genial clerk of the Circuit court of Bedford County is a grandson of Clement Cannon, St., one of five brothers, who came from North Carolina to Williamson County, Tenn., in the first decade of this century. Clement Cannon, Sr., had five sons, the father of our subject, Henry Cannon, being one of them. Henry Cannon was born in 1812. He lived in this county till 1852, when he moved to Shelby County, Tenn., where he died in 1873, having been a farmer all his life, Of those five brothers, who came to Williamson County, four soon afterward came to Bedford County. Their father's name was Minos Cannon and their mother was a Thompson, of Scotch-Irish descent. The mother of John T. was Sallie C. M. Tillman, a descendant of the Martin family, so numerously represented in the county, and a descendant of the Clay family of Kentucky. She died when John T. was but two weeks old, and he was then reared with Col. Lewis Tillman and other relatives. At fourteen he began his own support and attended school on money earned by himself. He clerked in a store three years and then taught school about four years, having married at twenty-two. He then settled down to farming. In 1861 he enlisted in Company K, Twenty-third Tennessee, as first lieutenant, and served eighteen months. He has been farming very successfully since the war, and now owns nearly 400 acres of good land. He was elected to his office in 1878 and has efficiently served to the satisfaction of his constituents. His birth was December 7, 1835. He was married in 1857 to Narcissa Sutton, a native of Bedford County. Mr. Cannon has a family of four children, viz.: Sallie C. M. (the wife of C. J. Moody), Walter S., Lizzie H. and Narcissa W. All the family ware members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a Royal Arch Mason. His ancestors were old-line Whigs and he is a Democrat. [Goodspeeds History of TN]
JAMES MADISON CARD
One of the vice presidents of the National Hardwood Lumber Association, and a man whose name and ability are recognized with admiration and esteem among lumber circles, not only in the south, but throughout the country, Mr. Card has been identified with his business in east Tennessee and Chattanooga for about twelve years, and he is president of the J. M. Card Lumber Co., one of the largest corporations of its kind in the south. James Madison Card was born November 15,1868, in the old Holland homestead near Scottsboro, Ala., which has been in his mother's family since 1818. His father was Benjamin Card, a native of Bedford county, Tennessee, served through the Confederate army and spent all of his active career from the close of the Civil war in farming and contracting at Scottsboro, Ala. His death occurred at the age of fifty-four, in 1904. His grandfather, Samuel Hughes Card, was born in Cumberland, Md., in 1800, and moved to Bedford county, Tennessee, in 1906. He was married, in 1821, to Peggy Story Neal, daughter of Jos. Neal and Polly Thompson Neal, of South Carolina, who was a great-aunt of General Waddy Thompson. His great-grandfather, William Card, was born in Cumberland, Md., in 1774. He was married to Miss Sally Hughes, daughter of Samuel Hughes of Virginia.
The mother of J. M. Card was Maria Holland, who was born in Alabama and is now living in Hollywood in that state. Newton Holland, her father, was a farmer near Scottsboro, Alabama, and married a daughter of Major Thomas A. Wilson. Thos. A. Wilson was born in Virginia and moved to Alabama when quite a young man and was prominent in the early history of Alabama and was state senator for a number of years. Newton Holland was a son of James Holland. James Hollands father was William Holland, who immigrated from Virginia to Tennessee about 1780, locating near Elizabethton. He served in the War of 1812, and was also a veteran of the Revolution. The Holland family in this branch is descended from one of seven brothers who came from England, about 1710, and made their homes in Virginia. Mr. Card's ancestors on both sides participated in the Revolution and the War of 1812. J. M. Card was the oldest of three brothers and four sisters. His brother Samuel H. Card is in the insurance business in Birmingham, Alabama, and his brother William is in the lumber business at Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
James Madison Card grew up at Scottsboro, received his education in the college and grammar schools, where he was graduated in the class of 1893. He has been engaged in the lumber business since 1894. He has had a very interesting career and at every step of the way has proved his manhood in a fashion that has won him the admiration of all who know him. He started in the cedar lumber business when he was yet a boy, and earned the money which enabled him to pay his expenseswhen he went through school. There is no business man in eastern Tennessee who has made a harder struggle to reach his present position in the business world than the man whom his friends love to call "Jim" Card. A southern gentleman in every sense of the word is Mr. Card; square in all his dealings; warm-hearted, clear-headed and a lover of his kind. "While he is an aggressive business man he has a heart of great gentleness, and -one of the pleasing incidents connected with his career is that after he had got his start in business, his first investment was in the old home place in the neighborhood of Scottsboro, the Holland farm, which he presented as a gift to his mother.
At Scottsboro, Mr. Card established a sawmill with H. M. Cunningham, and the partners for some time had to stop the operation of the little mill every third day in order to allow the crew to stack the lumber which had been sawed. In 1896, Mr. Card bought out his partner, Cunningham, and his own energy and industry were responsible for the subsequent steady growth and enlargement of the business. Finally a buying and wholesale department was added, and a general office established in Scottsboro, and on the retirement of Mr. Cunningham the business became known as J. M. Card & Company
In 1900 owing to the increased prosperity of the business, which now included a considerable share of export trade, Mr. Card made a change of location to Chattanooga. In 1901 his business was reorganized as the J. M. Card Lumber Company, with Mr. Card as president and Fred Arn as secretary-treasurer. This is a close corporation. On transferring the headquarters to Chattanooga, a wholesale yard was established in the city, and since then it has been necessary to add manufacturing operations. The company now owns and operates three mills, one in Chattanooga, one on the Southern Railway between this city and Memphis and one at Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The company to some extent also handles the output of other mills and ships its product all over the world. The mill at Tuscaloosa was organized under the name of the Crabtree Lumber Company, and has been working up both pine and hardwood lumber. The Oak Lumber Company of Paint Rock has specialized in the manufacture of poplar and oak from the mountains in north Alabama. The company has been constantly adding to its facilities for manufacture and has been raising its grade, so that its product has a reputation at home and abroad, resulting in a steady increase of the export trade.
The career of Mr. Card has been especially noteworthy outside of his individual accomplishments in building up the J. M. Card Lumber Company for his relations with the lumber organizations of the south and of the entire country. In June, 1912, at the fifteenth annual convention of the National Hardwood Lumber Association in Chicago, Mr. Card was honored with the office of vice-president, a position in which he is now serving. For the past twelve years he has been a member of the rules committee of that association, that being the most important committee of the organization. Mr. Card is a member of the National Export Association, of which his partner is president. He is a member of the National Wholesale Lumber Association and is a delegate from the National Hardwood Association to the American Lumberman's Organization. He belongs to the Tennessee and the Chattanooga Manufacturers Association, the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce and Commercial Club, and has membership in the Mountain City and the Golf and Country Club. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Hoo Hoos, is a Mason and member of the Mystic Shrine, and belongs to the Knights of Pythias. His family are members of the Episcopal church, which he attends.
At Scottsboro, Alabama, February 22, 1904, Mr. Card married Miss Anita Arn, a daughter of Guff Arn of that place. They have one daughter, Anita, aged seven years. The home of Mr. Card and family is at 14 Chamberlain Avenue in Chattanooga, but he spends his summers largely in the hotel on Lookout Mountain. His business requires extensive travel both in this country and abroad. [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
GRANVILLE THOMAS CARTER
City judge of Shelbyville, was born near Greenville, Greene County, on the 16th of July 1876, a son of William Brownlow and Madora (Pope) Carter. His father was born in this state and was a prominent farmer of eastern Tennessee. The mother was a native of S.C. her birth having occurred near Spartanburg. She came to TN with her parents at the age of eight years.
Granville received his early education in the public schools of Greene and Sullivan counties and after putting his textbooks aside accepted a position with the Huntsville Railroad Light and Power Company. He entered the employ of that company in a minor capacity and his close application to the thing at hand and innate ability won for him consistent promotion. He held various positions until he was appointed superintendent in 1902. He was active in that important capacity eight years and then resigned and came to Bedford County. He engaged in Stock Raising and is still active in this connection. In September 1919, he was elected to the office of city judge of Shelbyville and as reelected by the board in August 1921. He is a most popular and efficient public official.
On the 12th of June 1902, was celebrated the marriage of Judge Carter and Virginia Lee Snell and to their union three children have been born; Alice Madors, Elizabeth and Granville Thomas Jr.
The political allegiance of Judge Carter has been given to the democratic party since age conferred upon him the right to franchise. His religious faith is Baptist and to the support of which he is a generous contributor. Fraternally he identified with the Junior Order of the United American Mechanics and the Woodman of the World. During the World War the judge was very active in war work. He was chairman of the War Savings and Thrift Committees for the 12th Dist. of Bedford County. [Source: Tennessee the Volunteer State, Vol 4]
DANIEL E. CATES
a prominent merchant of Webster County, Mo., was born in Bedford County, Tenn., October 2, 1835, and is a son of John S. and Elizabeth (Hime) Cates. The father was a son of Thomas Cates, and was born in Tennessee, on the way from North Carolina to Tennessee, his birth occurring on the 12th of January, 1808, and his death June 1, 1880. His wife was born in Bedford County, Va., December 25, 1809. She is yet hale and hearty, and is living in Bedford County, Tenn. Both parents were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church for many years, and the father was a Mason (joined 1847) and a member of the I.O.O.F. (1846). He was a stone mason and a farmer by occupation, and was very skillful at both callings. The Cates family are of English descent, and the grandfather, Thomas, was born in North Carolina, and died in Bedford County, Tenn., when the subject of this sketch was a young boy. There were eleven children born to the marriage of John S. Cates and Elizabeth Hime, the following of whom are living: Mary E., widow of Pascal Brown; John R.; Martha J., widow of J.M. Rives; Daniel E., Joseph H.; Finetti F., wife of J.M. Thomas; Locadia R., wife of J.B. Dwyer; Justinna E., wife of D.H. Dwyer, and Caldonia C., wife of John F. Dwyer. Those deceased are James P. and Giles P. Daniel E. Cates was in his twenty-fourth year when he married Miss Sarah L. Evans, a daughter of A.H. and Ellen C. (Holt) Evans, who were born in Tennessee April 6, 1818, and August 27, 1814, and died in their native State July 1, 1880, and June 26, 1868, respectively. Mrs. Cates was born in Bedford County, Tenn., November 3, 1840, and is the mother of three children: Zarilda F., born January 23, 1860, the wife of J.H. Whitehurst, a merchant of Republic, Mo.; J.H., who was born March 9, 1868, and is engaged in the mercantile business with his father, and Giles G., who was born January 12, 1876, and resides at home. After his marriage Mr. Cates first turned his attention to farming, which he continued to follow until coming to Misouri, in the fall of 1883, since which time he has been engaged in the mercantile business in Niangua, where he has acquired a large and lucrative trade. He was engaged in merchandising during the war, and although he had his goods taken from him twice, he has accumulated considerable of this world’s property. He is a Republican in politics, and he and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
JOSEPH H. CATES
Joseph H. Cates, son of John S. and Elizabeth (Himes) Cates, was born March 22, 1827. His father was born in 1808, near Knoxville, Tenn., and was given a limited education in the country schools. He chose farming for his occupation. He was also a stone-mason and worked at this trade for a number or years in Bedford County. He was the father of eleven children, viz.: Mary A., John R., Martha J., Daniel E., Joseph H., James P., Giles P., Phenettie F., Sadie R., Jestinie E. and Caldonia C. James and Giles P. are dead. The father, John S. Cates, died June 1, 1880. He was a consistent member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and was highly respected by the community, being a man of high integrity. Our subject grew to manhood on the farm, was education in the country schools and is a farmer and stone-mason. In 1879 he was married to Miss Levina Oakley, and two children blessed the union: John S. and William P., both living. Mr. Cates and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The family are well respected in the county. [The Goodspeed History of Bedford County TN, 1886]
Peter Catner, born in 1819, in Bedford County, Tenn., was reared on a farm, and assisted his father until he was about twenty-four years of age. He, at the time, began relying on his own resources for a livelihood, and has prospered beyond his expectations. Through his own energy and economy he is at present worth about $6,000. He has been twice married - the first time to Sarah Ray in 1848. She died in 1850, leaving him one child - Mary C., wife of Frank Johnson. In 1854 Mr. Catner wedded Susanna Helton. Who has borne him nine children, three of whom are dead. Those living are John, William, Hannah M., Lewis, James and Thomas. Mr. Catner is one of the honest and worthy citizens of the county. His early advantages were very limited, but he is a strong advocate of the promotion of education. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal and his wife to the Cumberland Presbyterian church. Politically he is a democrat. [Goodspeed History of Tennessee]
JOHN HORATIO CLAGETT
Probably no member of the Hickman county bar is better or more favorably known than he whose name introduces this review. His grandfather came from the state of Maryland in 1817 and settled on Lick creek in Hickman county, where he was one of the first white men to enter land. After a residence of a few years there he removed to Bedford county, but some years later returned to Hickman county, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death in 1867. His son, Horatio Clagett, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in District No. 2, Hickman county, January 18, 1819, and was one of a family of seven children. He was educated in the common schools of Hickman and Bedford counties and upon arriving at manhood formed a partnership with his brother and engaged in merchandising under the firm name of W. G. & H. Clagett at Centerville. This association lasted for almost fifty years. In 1847 Horatio Clagett and Elizabeth Montgomery were united in marriage. She was born at Charlotte, Dickson county, Tennessee, in 1827. Of the seven children born to this marriage, five are still living. When the First National Bank was organized at Centerville in 1885, Horatio Clagett was elected the first president of the institution, which he held until the time of his death, December, 1912. About 1890 he disposed of his mercantile interests, and thereafter lived retired until his death. In his early years he was identified with the old Whig party, and after that organization was discontinued he affiliated with the Democratic party. His church relationship was with the Methodist Episcopal denomination. South, of which his wife was also a member until her death in February, 1908, and he was a Mason. John Horatio Clagett, the fifth child of his parents, was born at Centerville, June 4, 1859, and received his elementary education in the schools of his native county. He then attended Vanderbilt University at Nashville, Tennessee, for two years, after which he entered the law department of the University at Lebanon, Tennessee, from which institution he received the degree of LL. B. in 1881. The same year he was admitted to practice at Centerville and formed a partnership with J. A. Bates, which association lasted until 1890, when Mr. Clagett removed to Union City. Three years later he returned to Centerville where he practiced alone for some time and then formed a partnership with W. B. Flowers, now of Nashville, Tennessee. In 1912 the present firm of Knight & Clagett was formed and it occupies a prominent place in the legal affairs of Hickman and adjoining counties. For more than thirty years Mr. Clagett has been engaged in the practice of his chosen profession in his native state. His university training gave him the groundwork for a thorough understanding of the law, and his studies since leaving college have placed him among the well equipped attorneys of Tennessee. Conscientious in looking after the interests of his clients, careful in the preparation of his cases, and energetic in all matters pertaining to his business, he has achieved a measurable success in a practice that has covered practically all branches of the law. Mr. Clagett is a Democrat in his political views, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and belongs to Sam Davis Lodge, No. 158, Knights of Pythias, of Centerville. In political, church and fraternal circles he has made many friends by his courteous demeanor and genial disposition. [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
GORDENTIA WAITE CLARK
Educator; co-principal of Massey & Clark School; born Wartrace, (Bedford Co) Tenn., April 9, 1886; son of G.W. and Lydia (Little) Clark; his father was a farmer; paternal grandparents R.S. and Sarah Patton (Waite) Clark; maternal grandparents William and Lucy Caroline (Clary) Little; educated Wartrace Training School and Vanderbilt University; graduated Vanderbilt B.A. June, 1908; in 1908 began teaching with F.M. Massey in the Massey School, and at the beginning of the third term became co-principal, and the school is now the Massey & Clark School, Pulaski, Tenn.; member Phi Beta Kappa Fraternity, and is Deacon in the Presbyterian Church. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
CLARK, Gordentia Waite
Farmer; born Wartrace, Tenn., Jan. 1, 1855; Irish-Scotch descent; son of Robert Swansey and Sarah Patton (Waite) Clark; father farmer; paternal grandparents Anthony and Sarah (Dunlap) Clark; maternal grandparents Robert and Madeline (Patton) Waite; educated at Wartrace, Winchester and Clarksville, Tenn.; married Lydie Little May 25, 1881; ruling elder Bethsalem Presbyterian church, Wartrace, Tenn. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
J. W. CLARY
J. W. CLARY, M. D., is a North Carolinian by birth, born July 28, 1821. His occupations while in that Sate were school teaching, deputy county sheriff, deputy county clerk and hotel-keeping. In 1848 he became a disciple of AEsculapius, studying under Dr. Scroggs. In the spring of 1849 he entered the Medical College, of Castleton, Vt., from which institution he was graduated as an M.D. the same year. In the spring of 1850 he immigrated to Tennessee, and located at Unionville, where he successfully practiced his profession until 1870, and then took up the mill and merchandise business. The Doctor was married December 15, 1852, to Ann McCord, who died May 31, 1859, leaving two children: Allan and Thomas. Dr. Clary took for his second wife Mattie Ogilvie, and their union has resulted in these children: James D., Charley B., George, Emma and Irvin. Dr. Clary is a Democrat. His parents, Benjamin and Alla D. (Barnard) Clary, were born in 1778 and 1802, and died in 1860 and 1884 respectively.[The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
WM. FRANKLIN CLARY
Dr. William Franklin Clary, a surgeon of Memphis (Shelby County TN) with offices in the Exchange building, was born in Unionville, Bedford county. TN. March 31, 1875, and is a son of Dr. William Franklin Clary. Sr., who also devoted his life to the medical profession. The father was born in North Carolina and was a graduate of the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia. He then returned to the south, practicing at Greensboro, North Carolina, and later at Unionville, Tennessee, while subsequently he removed to Bell Buckle, this state, where his remaining days were passed, his death occuring in 1909. In early manhood he wedded Tennie Little, who survives her husband and is now living in Bellbuckle, at the age of eighty years. In their family were six children, four sons and two daughters. William Franklin Clary of this review, was largely reared in Bellbuckle and prepared for college as a student in the Webb School at that place. He later matriculated in the Vanderbilt University in 1895 and pursued an academic course there for a year. He afterward took up the profession of teaching, which he followed for four years and during three years of that period he was on the staff of the Webb School at Bellbuckle. He then again became a student in the Vanderbilt University in 1899, matriculating for the medical course and winning his professional degree in 1903. For a year thereafter he was an interne in a Nashville hospital, after which he came to Memphis, where he has practiced since, with the exception of the period of his service in the World war. In December, 1917, he was commissioned a captain of the Medical Corps, U. S. A., and spent eighteen months in the service, being a year in France on the surgical staff of Base Hospital, No. 57. He was discharged at Camp Gordon, Atlanta, August 20, 1919. Dr. Clary is a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity. He finds his chief recreation in hunting and he owns a good bird dog, which accompanies him on his hunting trip for duck and quail. His religious faith is that of the Methodist church. He is widely known through his professional connections and has membership in the Southern Medical Association, the Tennessee State Medical Association, the West Tennessee Medical Association and the Shelby County Medical Society, being an expresident of the last two. He has been a frequent contributor to medical journals and his writings have elicited wide attention and call forth deep thought and consideration. [Source: Tennessee the Volunteer State, Vol 3; Transcribed by Christine Walters]
J. C. CLAXTON
J. C. CLAXTON's birth occurred April 12, 1830, in Tennessee. He is a son of James and Temperance (Ratler) Claxton, born in 1802 and 1812, and died about 1866 and 1877, respectively. Our subject was the sixth of thirteen children. He assisted his father until twenty-one years of age, and up to the present time has followed farming. Annie E. Jones, who was born in Bedford County, Tenn., September 16, 1836, became his wife August 16, 1854. Their union has resulted in the birth of nine children: Temperance Mahala, Amanda Tennessee, Philander Priestly, Elizabeth Allen (who died in 1863), James Jonas, Minerva Jane, Melvina Jones, Ophelia Adaline and Alice Cassander. Mr. Claxton is an enterprising farmer, and a man who wields much influence in the community in which he resides. Although his early education was somewhat limited, he has always taken considerable interest in the education of the rising generation. He has given all his children liberal educations, and his eldest son is completing his education in Europe - Leipzig College, Germany. Mr. Claxton is a Republican in politics, and up to the date of the late war was an old-line Whig. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
PHILANDER PRIESTLEY CLAXTON
1818 - 1876
Philander Priestly Claxton was born in Bedford county, on the 28th of September, 1862, a son of Joshua Calvin and Anne Elizabeth (Jones) Claxton. In the acquirement of his early education he attended the public schools of his native county and in due time enrolled in the University of Tennessee. He was graduated from that institution with the A. B. degree in 1882 and in 1887 the A. M. degree was conferred upon him. He was a graduate student at Johns Hopkins University in 1884 and 1885, and he attended schools in Germany in 1885 and 1886, and spent the year 1897 in visiting the schools of Europe. The Litt. D. degree was conferred upon him by Bates College in 1906 and the LL. D. degree by the Western Reserve University in 1912, the University of North Carolina in 1914, and Allegheny College in 1915.
Dr. Claxton was superintendent of schools in Kinston, North Carolina, 1883-4; Wilson, 1886-8; Asheville, 1888-93; and he was professor of German and pedagogy, 1893-6; professor of pedagogy and director of the Practice and Observation School of the North Carolina State Normal and Teachers School, 1896-1902; professor of education, 1902-1911; professor of secondary education and inspector of high schools, 1906-11, University of Tennessee; and on the 1st of July, 1911, he was appointed United States commissioner of education. He was editor of the North Carolina Journal of Education, 1897-1901; the Atlanta Educational Journal, 1901-3; a member of the Southern Educational Board, chief bureau of investigation and information, 1902-3; and superintendent of the Summer School of the South, 1902-11. He is a member of the Rockefeller Sanitary Commission, a director of the Moral Educational Board; a member of the council of the National Education Association and Southern Educational Association; a director of the Playground Association of America; chairman of the executive committee of the National Story Tellers' League; and is associated with various peace societies. He is the author of several works, among them "Effective English," which has had a wide circulation. [Source: Tennessee the Volunteer State Vol 3; Transcribed by Christine Walters]
PHILANDER PRIESTLEY CLAXTON
Born in Bedford Co., Tenn., Sept. 28, 1862; son of Joshua Calvin and Ann Elizabeth (Jones) Claxton; graduate of University of Tennessee, A.B. 1882, A.M. 1887, Litt. D. Bates College 1906; student in Johns Hopkins University 1884-85; student of education and schools of Germany 1885-1886; visited schools in principal countries of Western Europe 1887; married twice, first, Varina Staunton Moore Dec., 1885; second, Anne Elizabeth Porter Sept. 1894; taught in graded schools of Goldsboro, N.C., 1882-83; Supt. of schools of Kingston, N.C. 1883-84; superintendent of schools of Wilson, N.C., 1886-87; superintendent of schools of Asheville, N.C., 1887-93; professor of pedagogy and German, North Carolina State Normal and Industrial College, Greensboro, N.C., 1893-96; professor of pedagogy and director of the practice and observation school of the same 1896-1902; professor of education, University of Tennessee since 1902; professor of secondary education and supervisor of high schools in the state since 1906; editor of North Carolina Journal of Education 1897-1901; editor of Atlantic Educational Journal 1901-1903; chief of the Bureau of Investigation and Information of the Southern Education board 1902-03; secretary Southern Educational Association 1899-1903; president of the same 1908; member of Council of National Educational Association and president Council of Southern Educational Association; chairman executive committee of National Story Tellers League; director of American School Peace League; director of Moral Education Board; member of National Society for the Scientific Study of Education, American Association of the Advancement of Science, National Geographic Society, Rockefeller Sanitary Commission for the extirpation of the hook-worm, Southern Education Board; Chairman campaign committee of Southern Education Board 1908-10; executive secretary of the Conference for Education in the South since 1910; member of Methodist church; Democrat; Author of "From the Land of Stories" and other books for primary schools, and of many addresses and published articles on education. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
THOMAS EAKIN CLAY
Educator; born in Shelbyville (Bedford Co) Tenn., May 21, 1855; Scotch-Irish descent; son of Silas Webb and Ellen (Nevins) Clay; received common school education Athens, Ala., and graduated in academic course from Edgefield Male Academy June 15, 1879; in early life engaged in farming, later became a school teacher; in 1885 elected principal of Robertson Academy, Davidson Co., then the oldest school in Tenn.; has been engaged in educational work for thirty-one years; is at present Superintendent of Public Schools for the City of Franklin, Tenn.; has real estate interests in Nashville; married Lula Riggan Feb. 5, 1891; member of I.O.O.F.; Democrat (Independent); member M.E. church, South. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
B.F. CLEVELAND was born August 11, 1848 , in Georgia. His father, Robert M. Cleveland, was a native of North Carolina, and married Miss Fannie L. Wright, a native of Rhode Island. To this union were born the following children: William C., Jeremiah, Vannoy, Caroline, Harriet D., B. F. (our subject), Georgia A. and Robert M., Jr. The father of these children was a manufacturer and capitalist, and moved to this State in 1866, locating at Wartrace, where he died in 1876. The mother is now in Marietta, Ga. Our subject was educated in the high school of Greenville, S. C. In 1854 he enlisted in the Second South Carolina Calvary, and served with the command until the close of the war. He then returned home to this county and engaged in the business of farming which he followed until 1882. He then opened a private bank in Wartrace, which he still continues to manage in a very successful way. In 1872 he married Miss Lizzie Pepper, a native of this county. The result of this union is a family of for children: Mattie W., William P., Jesse F., and Eliza P. Mr. Cleveland is a member of the K. of H., a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
THOMAS S. CLEVELAND
THOMAS S. CLEVELAND was born April 25, 1840, in Bedford County, Tenn. His father Jeremiah Cleveland was a native of Greenville, S. C., born March, 1806, and of English and German descent. About 1833 he immigrated to Bedford County, Tenn., and located on the farm where our subject is now living. He married Miss Sallie E. Stone, and native of Maury County, born about 1815, and of English descent. To this union were born six children. Jeremiah Cleveland was a merchant before his coming to this State and a farmer afterward. He owned about 1,500 acres of land on Duck River, on this county, besides a large tract of 3,000 acres on the Mississippi River. He had about $50,000 of stock in the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad, and was one of the first board of directors to locate the road. He died in 1878. The mother of our subject died in 1840. Thomas Cleveland was educated at the Cumberland University at Lebanon, and lived with his father until May, 1861, when he enlisted in company G, Seventeenth Tennessee Infantry, and was elected as third Lieutenant of his company, and as such served twelve months. He then joined the artillery of Gen. John H. Morgan’s command, and was captured in Ohio in July, 1863, and retained until 1863. He then returned to Wartrace, Bedford County, where he has ever since remained engaged in farming. In 1867 he married Miss Annie E. Wright, a native of Floyd County, Ga., and a daughter of Moses R. Wright, and a niece of Judge Wright. Who was a member of the United Stated congress. To our subject and wife were born five children: Sallie S., Lizzie H., Hattie D., Annie L:. and Carrie C. Mr. Cleveland is a member of the Masonic fraternity, also of the R. A. He and wife are members of the Baptist Church, and live on the old homestead, consisting of 600 acres of land. Mr. Cleveland is a grandson of Capt. Robert Cleveland, and a grandnephew of Col. Benjamin Cleveland, both of whom served with distinction in the Revolutionary War. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
JOHN D. COBLE
Farmer and stock raiser; born near Wartrace, Tenn., June 25, 1828; son of Neely and Martha (Robertson) Coble; Dutch and Irish descent; father’s occupation farmer; educated common schools of country; married Mary R. Miller February, 1868; early business occupation farming and carpentry; served during the Civil War as private in Forty-fourth Tennessee, C.S.A.; worked at bridge building on N.C. & St. L. R.R. for several years. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
THOMAS JACOB COBLE
Physician; born Shelbyville, Tenn., Jan. 7, 1871; Holland-Dutch and Scotch-Irish descent; son of Neely B. and Emma James (Gilliland) Coble; father physician; paternal grandparents Jacob and Mary (Kimbro) Coble; maternal grandparents Samuel and Violet B. (Logan) Gilliland; educated Dixon Academy and graduated from Vanderbilt University medical department with degree M.D. March, 1898; in early life was a farmer and druggist; member of Trinity Consistory, A.A.S.R., Nashville, Tenn., Shelbyville (Tenn.) Benevolent No. 122, Tannehill Chapter No. 40, R.A.M., K. of P., I.O.O.F. and M.W.A.; Democrat; County Health Officer Bedford Co., Tenn. 1900-1907; president Bedford Co. Medical Society 1907 and vice-president State Medical Society 1909; president Shelbyville (Tenn.) Auditorium, and director Farmers’ Bank, Shelbyville, Tenn. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
General Ernest Coldwell was born at Shelbyville, November 12, 1858. He was educated at Shelbyville and at Carbondale, Ill. After reading law two years in his father's office he was licensed, by Judge Robert Cantrell and Peter Turney, to practice. In September, 1882, he was appointed special revenue collector, under A. M. Hughes, Jr. While a law student he was secretary of the Middle Tennessee and Bedford County Sunday-school Associations. He is a director in the Bedford County Agricultural Society, a director and secretary of the Bedford County Stock Breeders' Society and Register and a director and secretary of the Eakin Library Society. He was appointed, May 21, 1881, on Gov. Alvin Hawkins' staff, with the rank of brigadier-general. In 1884 he was elected Representative from Bedford County to the Forty-fourth General Assembly of Tennessee, overcoming a Democratic majority of 600 by 226 majority, he being a firm and outspoken Republican. His mother, nee Mary Henderson, was a lady of versatile accomplishments and of marked firmness of character. She was born in New York, was raised in Ohio and died in Tennessee in 1874, fifty-three years of age. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
THOMAS H. COLDWELL
THOMAS H. COLDWELL was born in Shelbyville August 29, 1822. His father, John Campbell Coldwell, was born January 8, 1791, in Hawkins County, Tenn., and removed with his father, Ballard Coldwell, and family to Bedford County, January 1, 1807. John Campbell Coldwell served two campaigns under Gen. Jackson, one against the Creek Indians, in which he participated in the battle at Horse Shoe, and the other against the British, in which he was a participant at New Orleans, January 8, 1815.
After this campaign he settled at Shelbyville, and was a merchant from 1818 to 1843, at which time he retired to his farm, where he died July 17, 1867. Thomas H. Coldwell's mother was June Northcott, born in Fleming County, Ky., the daughter of Rev. Benjamin Northcott. Thomas was the eldest of two boys and two girls in this family. He was educated at Dixon Academy, Shelbyville, and studied law with Irwin J. Frierson, Esq. He was licensed to practice in January, 1844, and has ever since been in his profession at Shelbyville, and is one of the leading members of that bar.
He first married Mary J. Hodge, at Murfreesboro, November 24, 1844. After her death he married Sarah E. Goling, in Cincinnati, May 6, 1851. After her death he married Mrs. Mary H. Bosworth, in Shelbyville, September 20, 1854, and after her death he married Carrie Hopkins, in Cincinnati, November 11, 1875. The last wife died December 4, 1884. For many years Judge Coldwell was an active worker in the Sons of Temperance, and was elected Grand Worthy Patriarch for the State of Tennessee in 1851. He was an unflinching Union man throughout the war. In 1864 he was commissioned by Gov. Andrew Johnson chancellor of the Fourth Chancery Division of Tennessee, but resigned in a shore time.
In October, 1865, he was commissioned attorney-general of the State and reporter of the supreme court, and in May, 1867, was elected by the people to that office without opposition. While serving in this capacity he reported seven volumes of the decisions of the Supreme Court of Tennessee, and considers this the most pleasant part of his professional career. While attorney-general he entered a nolle prosequi in all cases that came to the supreme court, when persons were indicted for treason against the State -- a class of indictments which grew out of the late civil war, the disposal of which in this manner won for him the earnest gratitude of his fellow citizens.
In 1868 he was the Grant and Colfax elector for the Fifth Congressional District of Tennessee. From 1865 to 1871 he served as one of the directors of the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad. He was a lay member of the General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church at its session, held at Brooklyn, in 1872, and while there was the author of the resolution sending fraternal delegates from the Methodist Episcopal Church to the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He has always been a zealous worker in the church, giving most liberally to all of its enterprises, and has always been an active Sunday-school worker. During 1871-72 he was president of the Bedford County Agricultural Society.
He was instrumental, in 1869, in securing the building of the Bedford County Court House, and was chairman of the building committee. He has been one of the directors of the Shelbyville Savings Bank ever since its organization, and was president of that bank three years. He has been a member of the board of directors of the Central Tennessee College, in Nashville, ever since its organization, and for thirteen years has been president of the board. He is a fearless advocate of the education and Christianizing of the negro. For fifteen years he has been president of the board of school directors of the Seventh District, and at his last election he received every vote cast. In 1871 he was appointed by President Grant, at the recommendation of Gov. DeWitt C. Senter, as commissioner for the State of Tennessee to the Centennial Exposition, at Philadelphia, in 1871. He served till 1877. He was on many of the important committees and was elected first vice-president of the commission, being one of the most active participants in those measures that made the exhibition so great a success. Judge Coldwell has two children; Gen. Ernest Coldwell, the child of the third wife, who is his partner in law, and Carrie ("Sunshine") Coldwell, the child of his last wife. Judge Coldwell is an outspoken Republican. He is a friend to the poor and oppressed, a liberal supporter and patron of education and religion, and a leading and enthusiastic member of his party. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
WILLIAM COLLIER is a son of Lockey Collier, who was born in Virginia about 1770 and died about 1840. The father came to Tennessee about 1789. Our subject was his only child and resided with his father until twenty-one years of age, and afterward followed the occupation of farming. He is a self-made man and is worth between $8,000 and $10,000, which he has made by his own exertions. He was married, in 1820, to Mary B. Garrett, who bore him twelve children, six of whom are dead. Those living are Martha (Mrs. W. W. Pennington), Nancy J. (Mrs. L. Madison), Don, Eliza f., Mary A. (widow of Morgan Drydaw) and Richard R. Our subject's son, Don, was born August 21, 1832, and was married March 28, 1854, to Martha Billington, who bore him one child that died in infancy. In 1854 he moved to Arkansas, where he lived until 1881, when he returned to the old homestead to provide for his father until his death. Both father and son are influential citizens and Republicans. Don and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN, 1886]
EDWARD E. COLLINS
Physician; born in Bedford Co., Tenn., Oct. 24, 1860; Irish and English descent; (Direct descendant of David Williams of the Revolution); son of W. Jefferson and Ida (Williams) Collins; father’s occupation merchant; paternal grandparents William and Hester (Perry) Collins; maternal grandparents David and Sarah (Harris) Williams; educated Unionville High School and Vanderbilt University; graduated from Medical department Vanderbilt University with degree M.D., in 1889; in early life was a farmer and Civil Engineer; married Lenna Taylor in 1891; member F. & A.M., R.A., R. Select, Century Club, Columbia, Tenn.; Democrat; member of the Methodist church; Independent Scout, Frontier in 1886; interested in land company, southwest Texas; examining surgeon of sixteen life insurance companies. [Source: Whos Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JOHN J. COLLINS
MRS. IDA J. COLLINS was born October 6, 1837, daughter of David and Sarah (Harris) Williams, who were born in Tennessee in 1814 and 1818, respectively. Mrs. Collins' paternal ancestry were originally from the State of Virginia, and her mother's people were North Carolinians. Our subject was united in marriage, April 29, 1858, to W. J. Collins, who was born October 25, 1835. He was a merchant at Unionville up to the date of the late war. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at the time of his death, which occurred July 21, 1866. His union with our subject resulted in the birth of six children: Spencer D., born March 19, 1859; Edward E. and John B. were twins, born October 25, 1860; Lycurgus F., born January 11, 1863; Emmet C., born December 15, 1864; Ellen J., born December 29, 1866. Mrs. Collins is an earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a woman who has won the respect and esteem of all. She has managed her farm successfully and is a credit to the county in which she lives. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN, 1886]
JOHN JACKSON COMER
Samuel Comer was a native of England and came to the United States with his wife (formerly a Miss Randolph), a short time before the Revolutionary War and settled in Virginia. He served in the war against the mother country, and was subsequently killed by the Tories. Reuben D. Comer, son of Samuel comer, was raised by a man named Abner Lea, of Johnson County, N. C. He married a daughter of Thomas Wright, who came from England to South Carolina. Her parents died when she was an infant, and she was raised by Col. Elliott Lee. After her marriage with Mr. Comer they came to Wilson County, Tenn., and became the parents of five sons and two daughters.
John Jackson Comer, the subject of this sketch, was the fourth of their children and was reared on a farm and had charge of his father's mill and cotton gin. His early education was limited, never having attended school after attaining his fifteenth year. About this time he professed religion. A short time after he began learning the blacksmith business of the Rev. D. B. Moore, with whom he lived three years. His father at this time moved to Warren County, Tenn., and there our subject worked at his trade. He was happily married to Miss Martha P. Parker. In 1845 he was licensed to preach, and in 1853 was received in to the Tennessee Annual Conference, and he has followed his calling in Hickory Creek, Bedford, Smith Fork, Mill Creek, Harpeth, Wesley and Carthage. He was appointed presiding elder of the following districts: Carthage, McMinnville, Savannah and Centerville. At the last conference he was appointed to the Unionville Circuit. In 1880 Mrs. Corner died, and after living a lonely life two years, Rev. Corner married Miss Ella Lacre. His first marriage resulted in four children: Sophronia A. (Mrs. J. P. Walton), Nannie J. (Mrs. Prof. S. V. Wall), John B., Moltie P. (died in 1880, wife of J. S. Keton). Rev. Comer is now past sixty years of age, but hopes to continue his good work many years. He is much loved and respected by all who know him and is an influential man where he resides. [Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
REV. G. W. COOK was born near Shelbyville, Tenn., November 14, 1833, son of William and Nancy (Lentz) Cook, who were born in 1802 and 1810, in North Carolina and Tennessee, respectively. The father died of cholera in Jun, 1854. Our subject is the third of eight children. At the age of twenty years he became overseer for Thomas Shearren and then began farming for himself. He joined the Methodist Episcopal Church when a boy, and when about twenty-six years old was licensed to preach. In 1870 he was ordained deacon at Pulaski, Tenn., and in 1874 he was ordained elder. He has had regular work since 1870, and has conscientiously fulfilled the duties of his calling. He was married December 20, 1855 to Mary E. Pickle, daughter of Major and Catherine Pickle. Rev. and Mrs. Cook became the parents of eleven children , four of whom are dead: William T. S., a minister of the gospel; Mary E. (Mrs. C. M. Spruce), Emily M. (Mrs. William Darnell), Rosanna (Mrs. E. Stalling), Henry C., Eliza and Nora A. Our subject acquired the most of his education by dint of hard study after acquiring his growth. He is a Democrat, but up to the date of the late war was an old-line Whig. [Goodspeeds History of Tennessee]
1821 - 1911
Edmund Cooper, brother of Henry Cooper, a Representative from Tennessee; born in Franklin, Williamson County, Tenn., September 11, 1821; was graduated from Jackson (Tenn.) College in 1839; studied law at Harvard University; was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Shelbyville, Bedford County, Tenn., in 1841; member of the State house of representatives in 1849; presidential elector on the Constitutional Union ticket in 1860; Union delegate to the State constitutional convention of 1861; again elected to the State house of representatives but in 1865 resigned; upon the re-admission of the State of Tennessee to representation was elected as a Unionist to the Thirty-ninth Congress and served from July 24, 1866, to March 3, 1867; unsuccessful candidate for re-election to the Fortieth Congress; appointed by President Johnson Assistant Secretary of the Treasury November 20, 1867, and served until March 20, 1869; resumed the practice of law at Shelbyville and died there July 21, 1911; interment in Willow Mount Cemetery [unknown source, submitted by C. Walters]
JOHN S. COOPER
Lawyer; born Bedford Co., Tenn.; son of John L. and Frances (Lindsey) Cooper; Scotch and English descent; father’s occupation farmer; paternal grandparents Robert and Rebecca (McInturf) Cooper; maternal grandparents Caleb and Temperance (House) Lindsey; educated in the country schools of Murfreesboro and Lebanon, Tenn.; worked on farm and taught school in early life; married twice; Democrat; in 1883 served one term in State Senate, and from Sept. 1, 1894 to Sept. 1, 1910 was Chancellor of what is now the 9th Chancery Division of Tennessee; engaged in the active practice of law at Trenton, Tenn. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Alexander Cortner is a native Tennesseean, born December 20, 1827, and of Swedish lineage. He has always resided on a farm and by his energy has accumulated 145 acres of land on which is erected a neat residence, and also has two other tracts of land, containing seventy-five acres. November 16, 1852, he was united in marriage to Mary E. Landers, who was born December 22, 1836, daughter of Robert and Susan (Carter) Landers. To Mr. and Mrs. Cartner were born the following children: Susan M., born March 23, 1854, and died April 4, 1878; Henry, born November 15, 1855, and died August 21, 1857; George R., born March 23, 1858; Letitia C., born January 24, 1860; Alexander F., born June 3, 1863; William L. born March 11, 1866; Victor H., born October 27, 1867; Roy E., born October 21, 1871; Albert E., born July 1, 1876, and Sarah E., born March 24, 1879, and died July 13, 1879. Mrs. Cortner died May 11, 1879. In 1862 Mr. Cortner enlisted in the Confederate service under Gen. Forrest’s escort and was in many hotly contested battles. He is a Democrat, and his parents, George and Delilah (Troxler) Cortner, were born in North Carolina November 15, 1801, and October 6, 1807, respectively. They were married in 1823 and became the parents of four sons and seven daughters. The father died October 7, 1884, and the mother in 1871. ["History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties..."]
J. P. COTHRAN, a successful farmer, was born in Person County, N. C., July 8, 1828, son of Samuel and Polly (Burton) Cothran, who immigrated to Tennessee in 1844, and settled in Williamson County. Our subject was the fourth child born to his parents. His educational advantages were limited, but notwithstanding this fact he has always manifested a willingness and a desire to aid in any enterprise pertaining to the advancement of education. December 18, 1851, he was united in marriage to Mary R. Cothran, of Williamson County. The fruits of this union were eleven children, seven of whom are still living. Mr. Cothran is a self-made man, having accumulated his property by his own exertions. Politically he is a Republican, but up to the late war was a Democrat. [Goodspeeds "History of Tennessee"]
REUBEN C. COUCH
Hon. Reuben C. Couch, farmer, was born in Bedford County, Tenn., January 13, 1830, son of Joseph and Catherine (Patton) Couch, and of Scotch Irish descent. The father was born in South Carolina October 9, 1787, and the mother in Buncombe County, N.C., July 10, 1796. They were married in 1813, and to them were born twelve children. The father was a soldier in the war of 1812 under Gen. Jackson. He was a farmer by occupation, and died March 19, 1861. The mother followed March 10, 1886. Our subject's maternal grandmother was a daughter of Rhoda Cunningham, who came from Ireland. She is living in Bedford County, Tenn., and is in her ninety-third year. She has at this time 306 living descendants, children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, even to the fourth generation. What is most consoling to the declining years of this most venerable matron, is that our of this long line of descendants none have yet done ought to detract form the character of an honest family.
Our subject received his education in the common schools, and followed farming up to the time of the war. He enlisted with the boys in blue in the Fifth Tennessee Cavalry. He was commissioned as a lieutenant, and afterward promoted to captain, in which capacity he served through the war. He participated in the battle of Stone River, and various skirmishes. After the war he was elected clerk of the county court, and served several years in the revenue department. He was a member of the lower house of the Thirty-eighth General Assembly. November 23, 1865, he wedded Miss Mary J. Dyer, daughter of William H. Dyer, and to them were born three children: Reuben C., Lester and Emily G. James Patton, our subject's maternal grandfather, was one of the pioneers of Tennessee. He reared a family of twelve children - eleven daughters and one son. All lived to be married. Among the daughters there were seven living at one time, all widows, and the youngest over seventy years of age. The mother of our subject, just before her death, had descendants to the number of 266, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren. Mr. Couch is a Republican, a Mason, and he and wife and daughters are members of the Baptist Church. He has a fine farm of 275 acres in a fine state of cultivation. ["History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN" Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1886]
ROBERT W. COUCH
Dr. Robert W. Couch was born March 13, 1834, in Bedford County, Tenn., and is the son of Joseph and Catherine Patton Couch. Our subject received a practical education in the Duck River Academy at Fairfield, in this county, and his medical education at the University of Nashville, from which institution he graduated in 1855. He then began the practice of his profession, and was surgeon of the Tennessee Iron Works in Wayne County until the beginning of the late war. He then joined the Ninth Tennessee Confederate Cavalry as a lieutenant, and was afterward appointed surgeon of the regiment. He was captured at Fort Donelson and held as a prisoner until May, 1862, when he made his escape from Mound City, Ill., and walked to Corinth, Miss., and from there to his relatives in the county. Since that time he has been engaged in agricultural pursuits. May, 1860, he married Miss Lucy Tucker, a native of Rutherford County, and daughter of Maj. Lewis and Harriet Tucker. To our subject and wife were born the following children: Robert, John R., Kittie, William, Lizzie and Mary, all living but John R. Mr. Couch owns a farm of 315 cares in District No. 2, all well cultivated and in a flourishing condition. He is an Independent Democrat in politics, a Mason, and he an wife are members of the Christian Church. [History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1886]
GEORGE L. COWAN
Farmer and insurance agent; born Derry Co., Ireland, Oct. 15, 1842; son of Robert W. and Hannah (Limerick) Cowan; educated in the local schools of Shelbyville, Bedford Co., Tenn.; after leaving school enlisted in the Confederate army under Gen. N.B. Forrest, with rank of Lieut., commanding his escort last year of war; entered a wholesale house in Nashville, Tenn., as clerk, later proprietor until 1888; at present engaged in farming and insurance business at Franklin, Tenn.; married Hattie McGavok Jan. 3, 1884; member Masons, Royal Arch and Knights Templar, Knights of Pythias; Democrat; former chairman of Co. Executive Committee; member of Presbyterian church and Elder in same. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
HENRY BRYSON COWAN
Fire underwriter; born Shelbyville, Tenn., July 4, 1870; Scotch-Irish descent; son of Oliver and Sallie (Bryson) Cowan; father’s occupation hardware merchant for number of years, and now in office with son; educated at Shelbyville, Tenn.; began career as a hardware merchant and has been in the fire insurance business sixteen years; married Mary Frierson Oct. 10, 1894; member Masons, Scottish Rite Mason; Democrat; member of Presbyterian church for 18 years. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WILLIAM GUY COWAN
Hardware merchant; born Shelbyville, Tenn., Feb. 16, 1872; son of Oliver and Sallie (Bryson) Cowan; father’s occupation hardware merchant, retired; educated at Dickson Academy, Shelbyville, Tenn.; married Myra McGuire Nov. 20, 1901; member Knights of Pythias; Democrat; formerly served in State Militia for two years; quit school and worked in store at the age of fifteen; became a traveling salesman, hardware, in 1894; traveled for a Nashville firm until 1897, when he associated himself with Simmons Hardware Co., of St. Louis; in 1908 resigned from the employ of Simmons Hardware Co. to become president and take charge of the retail business of Cohen, Hobbs & Sloan Co., Incorporated, Fayetteville, Tenn.; is director in 1st Nat. Bank, Fayetteville, Tenn.; is also director in Elks’ Cotton Mill of Fayetteville, also interested in other local enterprises; Elder in Southern Presbyterian church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
NICHOLAS NICHOLS COX
A Representative from Tennessee; born in Bedford County, Tenn., January 6, 1837; went to Seguin, Tex., in early childhood; attended the common schools; served on the Mexican frontier; was graduated from Lebanon (Tenn.) Law School in 1858; was admitted to the bar the same year and commenced practice at Linden, Tenn.; was a colonel in the Tenth Tennessee Cavalry of the Confederate Army during the Civil War, serving principally with General Forrest; settled in Franklin, Williamson County, Tenn., in 1866; engaged in agricultural pursuits; presidential elector on the Democratic ticket of Breckinridge and Lane in 1860; elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-second and to the four succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1891-March 3, 1901); declined to be a candidate for renomination in 1900; resumed the practice of law and engaged in banking in Franklin, Tenn., where he died May 2, 1912; interment in Mount Hope Cemetery. ["Tennessee Biographical Dictionary" By Jan Onofrio]
NICHOLAS NICHOLS COX
Ex-Congressman; born in Bedford Co., Tenn., Jan. 6, 1837; educated in the common schools of Sequin, Texas; graduated from Lebanon Law School, LL.B., 1858; removed to Texas in boyhood and was reared at Sequin, Texas; admitted to bar in 1858; in practice at Franklin, Tenn., since 1865; married May Slayden, Jan. 6, 1859; Presidential Elector 1860, 1872; member of 52nd to 56th Congresses 1891-1901, from 7th Tenn. District; served as Col. in C.S.A. during Civil War; Democrat. [Source: "Who's Who in Tennessee", Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Farmer and surveyor; born Santa Fee, Mo., Dec. 3, 1856; German descent; son of John W. and Elizabeth (Morton) Crigler; father’s occupation farmer and merchant; paternal grandparents Lewis and Julia (Oots) Crigler; maternal grandfather Benjamin Morton; educated at University of Mo. and Winchester, Tenn.; began his career as a teacher, and after teaching school in Mo. a number of years moved to Winchester, Tenn., and attended school under J.W. Terrill; afterwards moved to Bedford Co., Tenn. and engaged in farming; married Elizabeth A. Dean June 8, 1884; member A.F. & A.M., Shelbyville, Tenn.; Democrat; former County Surveyor of Bedford Co., Tenn. two terms; was a candidate for seat in Legislature of Tennessee in 1907, but was defeated; member of Christian church. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JOSEPH M. CROWEL
J. M. Crowel was born November 5, 1847, in Bedford County, Tenn., and is the son of Benjamin and Margaret (Anderson) Crowel. The father was born in the year 1815, (12 October 1812) in Bedford County, and died in the year 1865 (19 December 1863). The mother was born in North Carolina about 1817 (8 August 1813), and died September, 1885. Our subject was the youngest child and only son of his parents. He passed his youthful days on the farm, and after reaching the years of manhood began farming for himself. November 16, 1873, he wedded Susan A. Molder, of this county, who was born in 1857. The fruits of this union were three children: Thomas L., Jennie L., and Edwin Harper. Mr. Crowel is a self-made man , and is now worth about $5,000, which he has made in the last twelve years. He was never sued or had a lawsuit in his life. He is upright, honest and law abiding. His educational advantages were rather limited, but sufficient for all practical purposes. In politics he is a Democrat. [History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present... The Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1886]
ERNEST WENDELL CROWELL
One of the leading members of the Giles county bar is Ernest W. Crowell, of Pulaski, a native of Bedford county, who was born March 21, 1884, and a son of Hiram B. and Margaret Emily (Cook) Crowell. His paternal grandfather was John M. Crowell of North Carolina, who was of Dutch descent and married Lavina Pressgroves, a direct descendant of Pocahontas. The father entered the Methodist ministry at an early age and served as presiding elder of the North Methodist church for sixteen years. He died in 1921. His wife was of English descent and both the Crowell and Cook families were pioneers of Bedford county, Tennessee. Ernest W. Crowell was educated in the public school of Bedford county and later entered Cumberland University, being graduated from the law department and receiving his LL. B. degree in 1906. He was reared upon a farm but after receiving his degree entered upon his profession in Pulaski, Tennessee, now occupying the offices where the original Ku Klux Klan was organized. He is one of the leading lawyers of Giles county, enjoying an extensive and representative clientage, and he handles much important litigation before the court.
On the 18th of December, 1912, Mr. Crowell was united in marriage to Miss Mary Lee Meadows, a daughter of Dr. J. A. Meadows of Bethel, Tennessee. She was born in 1889 and died in May, 1913. Politically Mr. Crowell is a stanch republican and is actively interested in party affairs. He was republican elector in 1912 on the Hughes ticket for the state of Tennessee, and for some time he has been a member of the election commission of Giles county. He has also served as chairman of the republican committee of Giles county. Fraternally he is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Junior Order of United American Mechanics, Modern Woodmen of the World and the Masonic order. His religious faith is that of the Methodist church. No man stands higher in Pulaski for integrity and sterling worth and he well merits the success he has achieved. ["Tennessee The Volunteer State", Vol. 2]
ERNEST WENDELL CROWELL
Lawyer; born Bedford Co., Tenn., March 21, 1884; of German-Irish descent; son of Hiram B. and Margaret E. (Cook) Crowell; father Methodist minister; paternal grandparents Charles M. and Lavina (Foster) Crowell; maternal grandparents V.P. and Elizabeth (Lentz) Cook; educated Bedford Co. Institute and Cumberland Univ., Lebanon, Tenn., graduating from latter June, 1905, with degree of LL.D.; began his career as a farmer, later teaching; he is self-educated, having worked his way through school, four years, and was president of his class; left school without any money and established himself in his profession; is member J.O.U.A.M. and I.O.O.F.; Republican; member M.E. church, North. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WILLIAM HENRY CROWELL
The legal profession of Bedford county numbers among its representative members William Henry Crowell, who is engaged in active practice in Shelbyville. He was born in Cannon county on the 1st of March, 1876,(** SEE NOTE BELOW) a son of Hiram Brittain and Margaret Emily (Cook) Crowell. On the paternal side he is of Dutch and Indian descent. His grandmother, Levina Pressgroves, was a direct descendant of Pocahontas. Hiram B. Crowell was for forty years a minister in the Methodist Episcopal church. He was active in that connection at the time of his demise. On the maternal side William Henry Crowell is of English descent. His mother was born in Tennessee, a daughter of Emily Cook, who was born in England. He came to this country at an early date and served in the Continental army in the Revolutionary war. His death occurred at the battle of New Orleans. Both the Crowell and Cook families were among the pioncer settlers of Bedford county. In the acquirement of his early education William Henry Crowell attended the public schools of Bedford county and subsequently enrolled in the University of Tennessee. He studied law at that institution and was graduated in 1896, with the LL. B. degree. After graduation he entered the active practice of law in Shelbyville and in a profession where advancement depends upon individual merit, he has won substantial success. Gradually he extended his legal operations to several adjoining states and he served as special judge for a short time.
In 1910 he was appointed United States commissioner under Judge Sanford and he is still holding that office. On the 23d of January, 1922, he was admitted to practice before the United States supreme court at Washington, D. C. He was a highly endorsed candidate for appointment as United States district attorney, for the middle district of Tennessee, being endorsed by the courts and the bar of the state. He has always been a stanch republican and active in party affairs. He was elector for the fifth congressional district and was a delegate to the national republican convention when McKinley was nominated for president. Mr. Crowell has achieved success in legal and political circles because he is a great fighter, a man of great courage, constant study and of real devotion to duty. On the 6th of May, 1902, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Crowell and Miss Mamye Lou Cunningham of Wartrace. To their union two children have been born: James B., nineteen years of age; and Margaret, thirteen. Fraternally Mr. Crowell is identified with Lodge No. 1021, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and he is an active member of the Lions Club. His religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church and he was a delegate to the seventh international Sunday school convention at Zurich, Switzerland. He had the honor of a private audience with Pope Leo in 1913. During the World war Mr. Crowell gave generously of his time and money in the furtherance of the government's interests, and was actively connected with the draft. [From "Tennessee the Volunteer State" Volume 3]
NOTE: ** Family research has determined the date of birth to be 1 March 1874 from the book "Turrentine Family". Joyce Hodges has also found his WW I Draft registration that supports the 1874 birth year.
WILLIAM HENRY CROWELL
Lawyer; born Hollow Springs, Tenn., March 1, 1874; German and English descent; son of _____ Crowell and Margarette (Cook) Crowell; fatherâ€™s occupation minister of the gospel; graduated from University of Tenn. LL.B. degree 1895; in early life was merchant and farmer; married Mayme Lou Cunningham May 2, 1902; member B.P.O.E. Lodge No. 1029, Murfreesboro, Tenn.; former postmaster, Elector for 5th Congressional District and delegate to Republican National Convention at Philadelphia, Pa. 1900; member of United Brethren church and elected lay delegate to general conference of that church at Dayton, Ohio 1910; actively engaged in the practice of law, Shelbyville, Tenn. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JOHN B. CUMMINGS
John B. Cummings, A. B. Since 1900 superintendent of schools in Gibson county, John B. Cummings has been serving well the state which has been the home of his family through three generations. Marshall county, Tennessee, is the old home of the family, where Superintendent Cummings was born. November 26, 1851. He is a son of Captain Thomas E. Cummings, born in the same county, in 1828, and a grandson of John B. Cummings, a native of North Carolina, who came from that state and was one of the pioneers of Marshall county. Grandfather Cummings bought a tract of land about three and a half miles southeast of the present site of Belfast, and used his following of slaves to clear off the ground and put it in cultivation. That continued to be his home until his death at the age of seventy-five years. His second wife was the grandmother of the Gibson county superintendent, and her maiden name was Eunice Hunter. Her father, Robert Hunter, was a native of North Carolina, was a pioneer in Bedford county, Tennessee, and bought land in that portion of Bedford which has since been made a part of Marshall county. The grandmother survived her husband a few years.
Thomas E. Cummings, the father, was a boy when brought to Tennessee, was reared on a farm, and inherited a tract of land which had been part of his grandfather's estate, and on that place was a saw and grist mill on Rock Creek, and he conducted that milling enterprise in connection with his farm. In 1870 he moved to Gibson county buying two farms west of Dyer. In 1862 he enlisted in the Forty-Seventh Regiment of Tennessee Infantry, a part of Cheatham's Division, in which he was commissioned first lieutenant and later promoted to captain of his company. He was in some of the chief battles of the war, including Shiloh, where he was carried exhausted from the field; at Perryville, Chickamauga, Dallas, Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain and at Jonesboro; he lost his life on the battlefield and was buried there. Captain Cummings married Narcissa Amanda Smiley, who was born near Belfast in Marshall county, a daughter of Hugh Barnett Smiley, a pioneer of Marshall county, who had served under General Jackson in 1812, and was afterwards in the Seminole War in Florida. Hugh Smiley married a widow, Mrs. Sarah Lowrey, whose maiden name was Endsly. After the breaking out of the war the wife of Captain Cummings took her children to her father's home in Marshall county, and lived there during the remainder of the struggle between the states, after which she returned to Gibson county. After twenty-five years a widow, she again married and spent her last days in Dyer county, where she died at the age of eighty years. She reared three children named John B. Fanny F., and Thomas Knox.
Professor Cummings as a boy attended rural schools, and afterwards was a student in Union Academy in Marshall county and the Stonewall college in Robertson county. He afterwards sought higher educational advantages in the national Normal University at Lebanon, Ohio, and in Valparaiso University at Valparaiso, Indiana He was graduated from the latter institution with the degree of A. B. in 1882, and the same school afterwards gave him the degree of Doctor of Pedagogy. Previous to his graduation he had taught several terms, and has made education his life work. His first experience as a teacher was as an assistant in Bedford county, where for two months he received ten dollars a month. Afterwards he taught in different rural schools, and after graduating first taught in the Humboldt Normal Institute for two years. He was connected with the Brazil Academy, and a number of other schools until 1900, in which year he was elected superintendent of schools for Gibson county. He has been continued in office by re-election since that time, and has introduced many improvements to increase the efficiency of the educational system in this county. In 1883, Mr. Cummings married Nettie Thomas McAfee, a daughter of William J. and Jane Catherine (Barnett) McAfee. The five children of Mr. and Mrs. Cummings are: Heber Bryce, who graduated from Yale University in 1913; Willard Holmes, a graduate of the first class from the West Tennessee Normal School, being valedictorian of his class; Adda May, a graduate of Clinton high school, Fitzgerald Training School, the Southern Cnristian College at West Point, Mississippi, and now a student in the west Tennessee Normal. James Barnett and Nettie J. both students in the Peabody High School. The family are members of the Christian church. ["A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities". By Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
CYPRUS W. CUNNINGHAM
Cyprus W. Cunningham, dealer in books, stationery, wall paper, jewelry, etc., was born in Bedford County, January 28, 1850, being one of five children of Joseph A. and Elizabeth W. (Williams) Cunningham. The father was a native of Bedford County, his father having come here from North Carolina in the very early settlement of the county. The father was a farmer; his death occurred in 1880. The mother is a descendant of Virginia parentage, is a native of this county, and is now living. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm to the age of twenty-three, receiving a common school education. He taught school and clerked in a store for two years before leaving home. He then came to Shelbyville, and purchased a one-third interest in a book store, and in 1875 became sole proprietor, In 1876 he failed, but has paid our fully, and now does a thriving business, and owns a desirable and beautiful home in Shelbyville. He now holds the appointment of deputy internal revenue collector of the Fifth Revenue District of Tennessee. He was married, March 9, 1875, to Miss Susan A. Cannon, grandniece of Gov. Newton Cannon. This union has been blessed in the birth of four children, viz: Kate T., Elizabeth, Jennie C., and Mary J. Mr. Cunningham and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the K. of H. and R. A., being a member of the Grand Lodge of the K. of H. He is a Democrat in politics, and an enterprising citizen of the county. [History of Tennessee; Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1886]
J. M. CUNNINGHAM
J. M. Cunningham,, M. D., is a native of Marshall County, Tenn., born June 17, 1849, and is the second of six children of S. D. and Elizabeth (Armstrong) Cunningham, who are now living in Marshall County. Our subject spent his early days in tilling his father's farm, remaining until eighteen years old, at which time he entered the high school at Lewisburg, then under the supervision of Calvin Dornal, and paid his own way for about three years, his father refusing to pay his tuition. He entered the Medical College of Nashville in 1871, and during the vacation in the summer of 1872 he taught school to enable him to take the course of lectures in the fall, which he did, and graduated in the spring of 1873. He began practicing his profession in April of that year at Bedford post office, seven miles west of Shelbyville, where he has successfully continued up to the present date. June 14, 1876, he married Lizzie T. Lock, daughter of James Lock. This union has resulted in six children: Vera C., Clare G. (deceased), Ewing B., Hattie S., Lillie R. (deceased) and Horace L. Dr. Cunningham is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. [History of Tennessee; Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1886]
SUMNER ARCHIBALD CUNNINGHAM
Journalist; born Bedford County, Tenn., July 21, 1843; Scotch-Irish descent; son of John Washington Campbell and Mary A. (Buchanan) Cunningham; educated at Richmond Academy, Bedford County, Tenn.; engaged in the merchandise business in early life; married Laura N. Davis November 27, 1866; he was a Confederate soldier, holding rank of Private Sergeant and Sergeant Major in the Forty-first Tennessee Regiment; founded the "Confederate Veteran" in 1893; since which time he has been owner and editor; he is a member of the Hermitage Club of Nashville, and a Cumberland Presbyterian. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
B. M. CURTISS
B. M. CURTISS is a native of Bedford County, born July 7, 1859. His father, J. H. Curtiss, was born November 12, 1803, in Connecticut, and died in August, 1866. The mother was Teresa (Moseley) Curtiss, who was born November 22, 1824, in Georgia. She is yet living. Our subject aided his mother until he was twenty-two years of age, and since that time has followed agricultural pursuits for himself, and is a prosperous farmer. In connection with his farming he carried on merchandising about three years. November 17, 1872, he wedded Sallie E. Dysart, who was born July 6, 1859, and is the mother of seven children: Alex, Nola T., R. Dennie, James R., Fannie, Polk and Tint. Mrs. Curtiss died June 3, 1886, and earnest member of the Presbyterian Church. Our subject was elected magistrate of his district in August, 1882, and has served as such up to the present date. He is a well educated man, and one who supports all enterprises for the public welfare. He is a democrat politically [History of Tennessee; Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1886]
BACK -- HOME