E. M. DANCE
E. M. Dance, M. D. The medical practitioner whose aim is to succeed in his noble profession today must possess not only genius of mind and rare experience and skill, but an almost intuitive sympathy and native kindliness of heart. He must keep thoroughly posted in all the new methods used in the treatment of disease, and must be an earnest and zealous student, otherwise he retrogrades. For many years the medical profession of Moore county has numbered among its most eminent members physicians bearing the name of Dance, the late S. E. H. Dance, and his son. E. M. Dance, the latter of whom is now engaged in practice in Lynchburg. In practice here since 1900, Dr. Dance has won the respect and friendship of the profession, at the same time that he has made a place for himself in the esteem of his fellow-citizens, entirely by genuine merit He is a native of this city, and was born October 19, 1857, a son of Dr. S. E. H. and Miami (Berry) Dance.
Stephen Dance, the grandfather of E. M. Dance, was born in Parkersburg, Virginia, from whence he migrated to Tennessee in the early part of the nineteenth century, settling in Lincoln county. One of the circuit riding ministers of the Methodist Episcopal Church; he followed his calling for many years all over the southern and central parts of Tennessee, and was so engaged at the time of his death. He married a Miss Smith, and they became the parents of three sons and three daughters, S. E. H. being the youngest child.
S. E. H. Dance was born in Lynchburg, at that time in Lincoln county, March 31, 1834, and grew to manhood in his native locality. His education was secured at Emory, Virginia, and the medical department of the University of Louisville, where he received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1855. Here he settled down to practice his chosen profession, but at the outbreak of the struggle between the North and South, he enlisted as surgeon in Peter Turney's First Tennessee Regiment, and later acted in a like capacity in the Eighth Tennessee, John D. Anderson's regiment. On the close of his military service, he returned to Lynchburg, where he became known in subsequent years as one of the leading members of his profession and as a citizen who identified himself with all matters pertaining to the public and civic welfare. A physician of the old school, he steadfastly adhered to the ethics of his profession, and continued even into advanced years to ride horseback in making his calls. Widely known and highly respected, he gained the affection of his patients by his devotion and kindliness of heart. He became the owner of a farm and also conducted a drug store for some years. Dr. Dance was a member of the Masons, in which he had reached the Knight Templar degree, of Lincoln Lodge No. 50, of the Odd Fellows, and of the Knights of Pythias, and S. E. H. Dance Lodge of the Pythian body was named in his honor. He was a Democrat in his earlier years, but later gave his support to the Prohibition party. He died in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, March 20, 1900, widely mourned. In 1856 Dr. Dance was married to Miss Miami Berry, who was born near Lynchburg, Lincoln county, in 1840, and she passed away March 26, 1890, having survived her husband only six days. They were the parents of nine sons and one daughter, of whom six children still survive: Dr. E. M.; William, a pharmacist of Decherd; Charles, who is engaged in farming in Ramsey, New Jersey; Fannie, who is the wife of Albert Freeman, of New York; Harry, proprietor of a pharmacy at Lynchburg; and Clyde, engaged in the piano business in Denver, Colorado.
E. M. Dance acquired his preliminary education in the common schools of Moore county, and after studying for some time under the preceptorship of his father entered Vanderbilt University, from the medical department of which institution he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, in 1880. Returning to Lynchburg, he was engaged in practice here for two years, and from 1882 to 1884 carried on his practice at Wartrace, Bedford county. From 1884 to 1890 he was the proprietor of a pharmacy in Nashville, Tennessee, and he then again settled in Wartrace, where he continued until 1900. Since that year he has been practicing in Lynchburg. Dr. Dance is a close student of his profession and keeps fully abreast with the advancement that is continually being made therein. His knowledge is comprehensive and accurate and his skill is demonstrated in the excellent success which has followed his efforts in the sick-room. He possesses marked judgment and discernment in the diagnosing of disease and is peculiarly successful in anticipating the issue of complications. He observes most closely the ethics of the unwritten professional code and shows most careful courtesy to his professional brethren.
In 1880 Dr. Dance was married to Miss Laura Hurd, of Lynchburg, daughter of Samuel Hurd, of Wartrace, and four children have been born to this union: Maude, who is deceased; Guy E., a professional stenographer and justice of the peace at Fort Worth, Texas; Bessie, the wife of Roy H. Parks; and Roie, a student at Martin College, Pulaski. Mr. and Mrs. Dance are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, of which he is a member of the board of stewards and superintendent of the Sunday school. He is an independent Democrat in politics, and his fraternal connection is with Lincoln Lodge No. 50, I. O. O. F. [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
I. S. DAVIDSON
I. S. Davidson, M. D., was born near Fairfield, Bedford Co., Tenn., April 25, 1816, son of Andrew D. and Sarah (Muse) Davidson, who were natives of Wales, England. The paternal grandparents of our subject were born in the "Emerald Isle." Andrew D. and his first wife came to America at an early day. During his absence from home at one time the Indians, which were very numerous at that time, seized his wife and two children, and a young man and woman living with them, and made their escape to their camp. After a long and seemingly fruitless search he found his wife, but his children were both dead, and his wife shortly afterward died from fright and exposure. Our subject assisted his father in clearing their farm, and labored under many disadvantages. His education was limited, owing to poor school facilities, at that time, but after he began earning his own living he attended school several sessions, and in this manner acquired a very good education. For over two years he was a medical student of Dr. Barkesdal, of Shelbyville, and attended lectures at Louisville, Ky., in 1841-1842. March 27, 1843, he located at Richmond, Tenn., where he successfully practiced his profession up to the present time. May 16, 1844, he wedded Martha R. Smith, daughter of Reason and Sarah Smith. To Dr. and Mrs. Davidson were born eight children, two dying in infancy and one (Barkesdal) was killed in the late war. Those living are John R., George H., Sarah A., Alice, Mary A. and Maud. Dr. Davidson has accumulated all his property since he began his practice, and deserves much credit for the same, as he started in life for himself with nothing. The family are church members. The doctor is a Democrat, and previous to the war was an old-line Whig. [The Goodspeed History of Bedford County TN 1886]
EDWIN L. DAVIS
Judge of 7th Judicial Circuit; born Bedford Co., Tenn., Feb. 5, 1876; son of M.H. and Christina (Shoffner) Davis; paternal grandfather McLin Davis, paternal grandmother Martha (Ray) Davis; maternal grandfather Michael Shoffner, maternal grandmother Sophronia (Morton) Shoffner; Welsh, English and German descent; father's occupation manufacturer, etc.; educated Webbs School, Vanderbilt University, Columbian University; graduated LL.B. Columbian University May, 1899; married Carolyn Windsor Dec. 28, 1898; member Masonic order, K. of P., M.W. of A., A.T.O. and Phi Delta Phi Frat.; Democratic nominee for Attorney-General in 1902; Democratic Elector in 1904; elected Circuit Judge in 1910; Trustee Missionary Baptist church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
ELNATHAN G. DAVIS
Elnathan G. Davis, farmer and trader in live-stock, was born in Bedford County, Tenn., on the farm where he is now living, December 29, 1825. His father, Elnathan Davis, was born in South Carolina in 1795, and in 1817 was married to Rebecca (Sivley) Davis, who was born in Tennessee in 1797. Of this union there were eight children reared to maturity. The father died August 12, 1856 in Bedford County, Tenn., and the mother November 6, 1885. Our subject received a practical education in the common schools, and has followed farming as his chief occupation. He has been married twice, the first time February 20, 1851, to Miss Mary E. Wilson, of Marshall County, Tenn. The fruits of this union were two children: John W. and Cleopatra. January 13, 1870, he took for his second wife Miss Jeffie E. Norton, daughter of H. W. Norton. To this union was born one child, Eugene G. Our subject, form physical disability, was exempt from the army, but the Davis family was represented by other members. Mr. Davis is an old-line Democrat, and a member of the I. O. O. F. He has 300 acres of as fine land as the county affords, all well cultivated, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
EWIN LAMAR DAVIS
(1876-1949) a Representative from Tennessee; born in Bedford County, Tenn., February 5, 1876; attended the public schools, Webb School, Bell Buckle, Tenn., Woolwine School, Tullahoma, Tenn., and Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn., 1895-1897; was graduated from Columbian (now George Washington) University Law School, Washington, D.C., in 1899; was admitted to the bar the same year and commenced practice in Tullahoma, Tenn.; delegate to all Democratic State conventions 1900-1910; judge of the seventh judicial circuit of Tennessee 1910-1918; chairman of the district exemption board for the middle district of Tennessee in 1917 and 1918; director of the Traders National Bank of Tullahoma 1903-1940; trustee of Tennessee College for Women 1906-1939; elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-sixth and to the six succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1919-March 3, 1933); chairman, Committee on Merchant Marine and Fisheries (Seventy-second Congress); was an unsuccessful candidate for re-nomination in 1932; member of the Federal Trade Commission from May 23, 1933, until his death, serving as chairman in 1935, 1940, and 1945; member of the American National Committee, Third World Power Conference, in 1936; died in Washington, D.C., on October 23, 1949; interment in Oakwood Cemetery, Tullahoma, Tenn. [Source: Tennessee Biographical Dictionary By Jan Onofrio]
JUDGE EWIN L. DAVIS
The subject of this sketch is judge of the seventh judicial circuit, composed of the counties of Lincoln, Moore, Coffee, Warren, Dekalb, Grundy, Van Buren, Bledsoe, and Rhea. Before entering upon his duties on the bench, he practiced law at Tullahoma. He has shown large ability both in law and in public affairs. Judge Davis' various ancestors were early pioneers, migrating from Bedford county, Tennessee, on February 5, 1876. He has resided in Coffee county since 1882, and in Tullahoma since 1885.
Judge Davis' various ancestors were early pioneers, migrating from England, Wales and Germany in about the middle of the eighteenth century and settling in the colonies of North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Georgia. He had at least four ancestors in the Revolutionary war, to wit, Nicholas Davis, of North Carolina, whose heroism is related in Ridpath's History; Hezekiah Ray, of Cross Keys, S. C., who fought during the entire war under General Francis Marion; Martin Shoffner, a cavalryman and noted athlete, and Michael Shoffner, an infantryman, both of Orange county, North Carolina, and who fought under General Greene, and a part of the time with Steuben and Dekalb. These men or their sons settled in Bedford county, Tennessee, in the early years of the nineteenth century. John Shoffner, son of said Martin Shoffner, and a maternal grandfather of Judge Davis, came to Bedford county in 1806 in company with Newton Cannon, who afterwards became governor of the state. His ancestors were prominent citizens and their descendants are numerous and well-to-do. The Shoffner family is especially numerous, family reunions being sometimes held in which hundreds attend history and genealogy of the said family has been written and published.
The father of Judge Davis was McLin H. Davis, who was born in Bedford county in 1852 and who died in 1898 He grew to manhood on the farm of his birth and was engaged in business until the time of his death; he was a Mason and a Knight of Honor, and a prominent citizen. His father was McLin Davis, who was born in 1826, was in the Confederacy, was a prominent Bedford county farmer until his declining years, when he retired and moved to Tullahoma, where he died in 1910; he was a grandson of said Nicholas Davis, and married Martha Ray, a granddaughter of said Hezekiah Ray.
The mother of Judge Davis was Christina Shoffner, who was born in Bedford county in 1854 and who still resides at Tullahoma. She was the daughter of Michael Shoffner, a prominent citizen of Bedford county, and a granddaughter of the aforesaid John Shoffner.
Judge Davis has five brothers, to wit: Norman H. Davis, who located in Havana, Cuba, in 1902, and who is president of The Trust Co. of Cuba, and otherwise largely interested in different enterprises in that island; Paul M. Davis, of Nashville, Tennessee; Thurman J. Davis and Lamont Davis, of Tullahoma; and he also has one sister, Mrs. Henry M. Jones, of Columbia, Tennessee.
Ewin L. Davis acquired a liberal and adequate education in the noted Webb School of Bell Buckle, continued in the Wool wine School at Tullahoma, then took the literary course in Vanderbilt University at Nashville, and then received the degree of LL. B. in 1899 from the Columbian University at Washington, D. C. On being admitted to the bar he began his practice in Chattanooga, but shortly afterwards moved to Tullahoma, where he established his office and was engaged in a general practice up to the time of his election to the bench. His election as Judge of the Seventh Circuit occurred in August, 1910. His election followed the convictions of a majority of the people of this district that Mr. Davis possessed the qualities which eminently fitted him for the high position of judge. He possesses the judicial temperament, has an abundance of good common sense, and knows the law and its application thoroughly. As judge, several important cases have come before him, and among them may be mentioned the case of the State vs. Lem. Motlow involving the constitutionality of the whiskey manufacturing law (Cates 17); also the State vs. Brinkley, in which a number of questions were determined in reference to the holding of malt licenses (Cates 17); an interesting civil case was that of the Power Company vs. Webb (Reporter 15 Cates). This ease involved the right of the Electric Power Company with regard to the condemnation of land and the general privileges of eminent domain.
Judge Davis has been a prominent factor in political life for a number of years. He was Democratic nominee for attorney general of his district in 1902, but was defeated. He served as Democratic elector in 1904, and for several years was chairman of the Democratic county executive committee.
On December 28, 1898, he married Miss Carolyn Windsor, daughter of John Windsor, of Americus, Georgia. Their five children are: Windsor Davis, a student at Fitzgerald-Clark School in Tullahoma, in which school are also the two following children: Margaret Davis and Ewin Davis. His two other children are: Latham and Carolyn. Judge Davis is a member of the State Bar Association, and he and his wife are members of the Baptist church, in which he is a trustee. He is a member of Tullahoma Lodge of Masons and the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is also affiliated with the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity and the Phi Delta Phi legal fraternity. Judge Davis among his other important relations with his home city of Tullahoma is a director in the Traders' National Bank of that city. [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will Thomas Hale & Dixon L. Merritt Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
WILLIAM G. DAVIS
William G. Davis, farmer, was born in Bedford County, Tenn., November 12, 1837, son of Elnathan and Rebecca (Sivley) Davis, and of Irish-German descent. (For further particulars of parents see sketch of Elnathan G. Davis.) Our subject was reared on the farm and received a rudimentary education in the common schools. He subsequently attended Fairfield College, at Fairfield, Tenn., and October 28, 1858, he wedded Miss Mollie J. Norvell, daughter of Dr. A. S. Norvell, of Coffee County, Tenn. The fruits of this union were five children: Charles E., born October 1, 1861; Willie J., born February 13, 1864; Frank P., born July 8, 1867; Emma Smith, born November 18, 1869; and Lena Bell, born October 28, 1871. Mrs. Davis was born in Shelbyville, Bedford Co., Tenn., March 22, 1842. Her father, Dr. A S. Norvell, was born June 8, 1813, and her mother was born July 13, 1819. The former died in Coffee County, Tenn., February 29, 1876, and the latter died in the same county April 28, 1886. They were married in the year 1839. Mr. Davis has a farm of 140 acres in a fine state of cultivation. He is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.[The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
JAMES THOMAS DEAN
Born Bedford Co., Tenn., 1858; son of Payton S. and Nancy P. Dean; father's occupation farmer; received a common school education; married Mattie J. Crawford Jan., 1888; began business career as a merchant at Flat Creek, Tenn.; withdrew from mercantile business in 1882 and organized the bank of Lewisburg; was elected as cashier of the same in 1882; resigned his position and moved to Kansas City, Kan., in 1890, where he entered in the insurance business; sold out agency in 1892 and returned to Tenn.; organized the Dayton Bank and Trust Co., of which institution he is now cashier, and has been since 1894; member of the Christian church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JAMES E. DEERY
Born Shelbyville, Tenn., Sept. 22, 1852; Irish descent; son of Ross and Lou (Evans) Deery; father's occupation druggist; paternal grandparents James and Betsy (Ross) Deery; maternal grandparents Nathan and Betsy (White) Evans; educated in Tennessee; began career as a druggist; married Betsy Ross; Democrat; member of Methodist church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
An old and honored family, and a career of successful individual enterprise, is represented in the person of William Carson Deuberry of Greenfield, Weakley county. Dr. Deuberry is now in the insurance and real estate business at Greenfield, but has had a long experience as a merchant, farmer, and in the development of the lumbering industry. He is a man of fine integrity, enjoys the complete confidence of his neighbors and friends, and adds to the worthy place which the Deuberry family has occupied in Weakley county for half a century or more.
William Carson Deuberry was born on a farm eight miles northwest of Florence, in Lauderdale county, Alabama, in 1861. He is a son of Thomas Deuberry, who was born in Bedford county, Tennessee, in 1812, and a grandson of William Deuberry who was born in North Carolina.
Grandfather William Deuberry was reared and married in his native state, moved across the mountains in the early days to Tennessee, and became one of the pioneers of Bedford county. He bought land near the home of Talbot Fanning, and near Duck River, and kept his residence there until about 1825. He then moved into the state of Alabama. settling in Lauderdale county, where he was once more among the early settlers. He lived there for several years in a wilderness, surrounded by Indians, and with abundance of wild game on every hand. The land which he bought he cleared up and continued as a farmer and planter there until his death. He was remarkable for his great age, and his longevity has been regularly a characteristic of the entire family. He was one hundred and one years of age when death came to him, and until to the end was active in mind and body. He reared five sons and five daughters.
Thomas Deuberry, the father of the Greenfield business man, was reared in Alabama, made the best of limited opportunities to obtain an education, and early in life bought some land in Lauderdale county. With his slaves he established himself on a large scale as a planter, and bought and sold several farms in Lauderdale county. During the war that section of Alabama was overrun by both armies, and the crops and stock were confiscated, and the fences and many of the buildings destroyed. Thus, from having been one of the most prosperous men of the county at the beginning of the war, Thomas Deuberry at its close was greatly impoverished and had little more than the bare land of his estate. In such discouraging conditions he moved to Weakley county, Tennessee, remaining one year, then went to Panola county, Mississippi, buying land near Batesville, but after a year sold out and returned to Weakley county. He rented a farm for one year at Locust Grove, and then bought a tract of timber lands in the forks of the Obion River. His was the first permanent settlement in that section below Priestly homestead. For his home he built a double log house of hewed logs, having at each end a mud and stick chimney, and there lived until he was once more firmly re-established in prosperous circumstances. He then improved his home by weather-boarding it, and changing the primitive chimneys to brick. There he lived until his death at the age of seventy-six. The maiden name of his wife was Elizabeth, Beard, who was born near Lynchburg in 1816. Her father, Abner Beard, was born in the same county, and of early English stock. Abner Beard's wife was a Miss Dobbins, whose parents were natives of Germany. Abner Beard learned the trade of wagon and carriage builder, moved to Lauderdale county, Alabama, bought land and put up a shop, and was engaged in the manufacture of wagons and in a general repairing trade until his death at the age of eighty years. His wife survived him and died at the age of ninety-one. They reared four sons and six daughters. Mrs. Thomas Deuberry died at the age of seventy-two and she reared five of her eight children, namely: Jabe, Mildred, Sally, Daniel and William Carson. The son Jabe, when eighteen years old, enlisted in an Alabama regiment for service in the Confederate army, and was taken prisoner in the battle at Port Donelson. He was sent to Chicago and died there as a prisoner of war.
William Carson Deuberry was reared to manhood in the decade of the Civil war and that of the seventies, and made the best of his educational opportunities, attending rural schools and the Magnolia Seminary. In the home he was accustomed to an atmosphere of industry and thrifty habits, and at the age of nineteen his father gave him his time and he then bought a tract of timber land near the old home. With his youth and energy he started at once to clear and improve the land and built a commodious frame house before he was married, thus providing well for his family. After his marriage he bought a sawmill and acquired considerable tracts of standing timber, and for several years was one of the extensive manufacturers of lumber in this section. In the meantime he established a store at Greenfield, in partnership with Samuel Sharp and Fred McKelvey. Afterwards he bought the interests of the other partners and continued as sole proprietor for a number of years. Since retiring from this store he has been engaged in the real estate business and handles both farm and city property.
In 1885 Mr. Deuberry married Miss Eva Priestly, who was born in Weakley county, a daughter of John T. and Eliza (Williams) Priestly. The Priestly family is one of the most prominent in this part of Tennessee, and is given appropriate mention on other pages in the sketch of Hon. John M. Priestly. Mr. and Mrs. Deuberry have reared five children, named: Leora, Harry, Willie, Priestly and Eleanor. The two sons Carson and Paul died in infancy. Leora married Fred Foster of Marshall county; Harry married Bonnie McAdams, a daughter of T. D. and Pennie (Hillis) McAdams, and has one son, Harry, Jr.; Willie married Laura Wix of Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Deuberry worship in the Christian Church and are well known in social circles of Greenfield and vicinity. [Source: A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
Jeremiah Dial applied for Revolutionary Pension while living in Bedford County TN in 1832 when he was 76 years of age. He was born in 1756. He enlisted when he was living in S.C. and served throughout the revolution in S.C. troops. He moved to TN after the revolution and settled in Bedford County. He married Dec. 13, 1789 Nancy Anna McDaniel who survived him. She was born in 1763 and died in 1848. [Some Tennessee Heroes of the Revolution Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1975]
J. B. DICKENS
J. B. Dickens is a son of Daniel and Matilda (Putnam) Dickens, who were born in 1814. The father died October 13, 1874. The mother was drowned June 20, 1870, while crossing Duck River in a canoe. Our subject was the youngest of their eight children. He was born in Bedford County, Tenn., October 13, 1852. The names of the children are Jasper N., Andrew J., Nellie F., William C., Nancy J., Elizabeth C., Newton and or subject, who was married December 12, 1872, to Jennie Foster, who was born November 21, 1852. To them were born a family of four children: Malcolm A., born in 1873; Clara A., born in 1876; Matilda F., born in 1880, and Sarah G., born in 1884. The mother was the youngest of seven children, their names being Eliza J., Almira M. Malcolm A., Sarah G., Caldonia T., Mary A., and Jennie. Our subject has been a fairly successful financier, and is one of the few men who have made their property through their own exertions. He and wife are members of the Methodist Church, and he is a Republican. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
Henry C. Dickerson was born June 13, 1854, in Bedford County, Tenn. His father, Capt. James W. Dickerson, a native also of Bedford County, was born October 15, 1815. He married Miss Nancy Young, a native also of Bedford County, born in 1822. To this union were born nine children, of whom our subject is the sixth. Capt. James W. Dickerson, or subject's father, held several county offices, and since the war has followed agricultural pursuits, and now lives near Wartrace. The mother died October 12, 1871. Our subject was educated in the country schools, and lived with and assisted his parents on the farm until he reached his majority, when he was elected to the office of constable of his civil district, and sever four years. In 1884 he was the Democratic nominee for sheriff of his county, but was defeated by a very few votes. July 11, 1883, he was appointed deputy internal revenue collector by Col. John T. Hillsman for the Fifth Collection District of Tennessee, which office he now holds. On December 30, 1855, he married Miss Mary E. Shofner, a native of Bedford County, and a daughter of P. W. and Nancy Shofner, born January 1, 1860. He is a member of Shelbyville Lodge of F. & A. M. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject has two brothers, William J., a prominent business man of Union City, Obion Co., Tenn., and John W. Dickerson, a prominent farmer of this county. This is one of the prominent families of Bedford County. [Goodspeed History of Tennessee]
MARY JANE DICKERSON
Born Shelbyville, (Bedford Co ) Tenn., Jan. 23, 1826; daughter of Capt. William and Nancy Allen (Daniel) Stone; father was a stockman, farmer, capitalist and soldier in War of 1812; direct descendant of old Va. families; paternal grandparents William Richard and Sallie (Winnegam) Stone; maternal grandparents John and Susie (Bowrum) Daniel; her maternal grandfather was a Revolutionary war soldier; educated in Lewisburg, Tenn.; married Washington Riborn Dickerson Aug. 18, 1843; member U.D.C. of Pulaski, D.A.R. Cumberland Chapter, Nashville, Tennessee, Counsellor in Chapter of 1812, Nashville, Tenn.; housed, fed and nursed Confederate soldiers during Civil war; once interposed herself between her husband and a Federal soldier, who was endeavoring to kill him; member of Old Presbyterian church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
A. G. DINWIDDLE
Rev. A. G. Dinwiddle, D. D., was born July 13, 1840 in Montgomery County, Tenn. His father, William Dinwiddle, was born October 15, 1810 in Kentucky. He was by profession a local minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and was also a farmer. He died April 4, 1872. The mother, nee Mary Cole Alexander, was born in Kentucky, June 15, 1814, and it yet living in Montgomery County, Tenn. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm and received fair early educational advantages. He was principally education under Prof. L. E. Duke, of Chapel Hill, N. C., then conducting an academy at Asbury, Montgomery Co., Tenn. At the age of nineteen he engaged in the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and has since been so engaged. He joined the Tennessee Annual Conference in October, 1859, and was appointed junior preacher to the Wesley Circuit, where he remained one year. Thence in 1860 he was appointed junior preacher to the Dover Circuit, and at the close of that year he was ordained deacon by Bishop Early. His third year's work was on the Bellefonte Circuit in northern Alabama and on November 19, 1861, he was married to Miss Rachael Odil, of Columbia, Tenn. In 1862 he was appointed to the Trinity Station, Alabama. After the war, in 1865, he was appointed to the Sante Fe Circuit, in Maury County, Tenn. Thence, in 1866, he was appointed to the Duck River Circuit, which pastorate he held two years. In 1868 he organized the Bulleoka Institute and was appointed principal of the same, also retaining the appointment of junior preacher on the Duck River Circuit. In 1869 he was relieved of the pastoral charge and appointed to the full principalship of the Culleoka Institute which he held until May, 1870. In October following he was appointed to the Savannah District and remained there four consecutive years. He then took pastoral charge of Pulaski Station for four years. Thence he was appointed to Cedar Hill, Robertson, Co., Tenn., for one year. In 1879 he was appointed to the Lebanon Station, which he held until 1882, when he was appointed to the Murfreesboro Station, and June 7, 1885, received the honorary degree of D. D., from the Soule College of Murfreesboro. In October, 1885 he was appointed to the Shelbyville Station, where, as elsewhere, he has enjoyed great success in his work. He has a family of five children: Emma, Willie H., Mary B., Maggie L., and Frank G. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
WILLIAM HUGHES DOSS
Minister of the Gospel; born Bedford county, Tenn., Nov. 25, 1854; Welsh descent; son of William and Mariah Ann (Hughes) Doss; father's occupation minister of the gospel; graduated from Webb's School June, 1875; in early life he was a farmer; married Belle Porter May 8, 1877; member Masonic Lodge, K.P. and I.O.O.F.; Democrat; joined the Tenn. Conference, M.E. Church, South; served six years as pastor Mt. Pleasant, Tenn., two years at McMinnville, four at Lebanon, Tenn., also had pastorates in Bedford, Cheatham, Williamson, Rutherford, Davidson, Montgomery and Robinson counties, Tenn., and Cisco, Tex. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
A native of Tennessee, was born January 6, 1835, son of David and Malinda (Guest) Dryden, natives, respectively, of Tennessee and Georgia. The father was born in 1800 and was by occupation a farmer. The mother was born August 27, 1806, and is still living with our subject at the extreme old age of eighty. Our subject like the average country boy, assisted his father on the farm and attended the district school. At the age of twenty-one he began farming for himself on the farm where he is now living. September 27, 1855, he married Nancy C. Stephenson, of this county, and this union resulted in the birth of four children. William J., Martha M. B., Lucinda E. M. and David O. Mr. Dryden is a very influential man in this section of the country. He is also a man of strong religious sentiments although he is not a member of any church. Mrs. Dryden is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics, Mr. Dryden is a Republican. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
NATHANIEL L. DRYDEN
Born January 22, 1839, and is one of three children born to the union of Thomas and Mary H. (Dickson) Dryden. The father was born in Virginia in 1796, and when a youth he, with his father, immigrated to Tennessee and settled in Bedford County. He was married in 1824 and became the father of eleven children. The father and mother of out subject were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The former died in 1863 and the latter in 1876. Our subject was born in Bedford County, Tenn., and was given an education in the country schools of the day. In 1867 he wedded Miss Sarah J. Llewellyn, a native of Indiana. To this union were born eight children: Hubert E., John W., Mary L., Annie, Maggie H., David D., Thomas F. and Nathaniel L., Jr. Daniel D. died March 31, 1884. Mr. Dryden owns 373 acres of land in the Twentieth District, and deals in cattle, sheep, etc. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and a leading man in the county. The family is of Scotch-Irish descent. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
ROBERT MATHEWS DUDLEY
Among the pioneer business enterprises of Nashville is that controlled by the Gray & Dudley Company, engaged in the manufacture of stoves and saddlery and wholesale dealers in hardware. This is now the largest undertaking of the kind south of Louisville, Kentucky, and the business as it stands today is largely the outcome of the well directed efforts and carefully formulated plans of Robert Mathews Dudley, its president, whose connection therewith covers a period of forty-four years. He was born in Bedford county, Tennessee, May 20, 1858, a son of Christopher and Louise (Bandy) Dudley. He attended the public schools and the Montgomery Bell Academy of Nashville, while later he became a student at the University of Nashville. Mr. Dudley's identification with the hardware business dates from 1878, when he entered the employ of the firm of Dodd, Dudley & Lipscomb, leading merchants of this city. So rapidly did he progress in their esteem that he was admitted into the firm two years later and the firm name changed to Dudley Brothers & Lipscomb. Following the retirement of Mr. Lipscomb the style was changed to that of Dudley Brothers, under which name the business was continued until 1895, when their interests were consolidated with the firm of Gray, Fall & Company, Incorporated, at which time the present title of Gray & Dudley Company was adopted. Mr. Dudley is president of the firm, which is engaged in the manufacture of stoves and harness, and maintains a large force of traveling salesmen, shipping its products to all parts of the United States. The company is also wholesale distributors of hardware, shoes, automobile accessories, house furnishing, dry goods and notions and since 1913 has conducted a large mail order business, issuing each month an elaborate catalogue, which is sent to dealers throughout the country.
Mr. Dudley possesses the keen sagacity, executive force and poise necessary for the successful control of extensive interests and is thoroughly alive to the possibilities of every new avenue opened in the natural ramifications of the trade. No detail of the business is too unimportant to escape his notice, while at the same time he conducts the larger factors in his affairs with notable assurance and power. Mr. Dudley is known to the hardware trade all over the country. He was president for two terms1909-1910 of the National Hardware Association of the United States and is still a member of the advisory board. Although his extensive business interests make heavy demands upon his time, Mr. Dudley has always found opportunity to participate actively in civic affairs and has done effective service for the public good, becoming well known throughout his city as the champion of moral progress and uplift and of municipal reform and improvement. For sixteen years he has been chairman of the board of park commissioners, who are responsible for the development of Nashville's fine park system, including Centennial Park, in which the city takes especial pride. More than two hundred thousand dollars has been spent on buildings alone for this park, which is unsurpassed in beauty by any other public recreation ground in the south. Mr. Dudley also is deeply interested in religious work and has labored untiringly for the cause of Christianity as a member of the Baptist church. He is a director of its Sunday school board and for many years has taught the Business Men's Bible class, while he is also serving as chairman of the board of deacons of the church. He is likewise a member of the Baptist state executive board and a director of the Baptist & Reflector, the official organ of the church.
On the 23d of March, 1881, Mr. Dudley was united in marriage to Miss Ophelia Stephens, a daughter of Dr. J. Bunyan Stephens, a well known educator, who was for twenty years a member of the faculty of the University of Tennessee. They became the parents of five children, three of whom are deceased. Two daughters, Louise and Rebecca, were killed near Carroll, Iowa, in 1913, while en route to Colorado, a train striking the automobile in which they were riding; and a son, B. S. Dudley, passed away in 1919. The surviving children are Amelia and Robert M. Dudley, Jr. The latter is an enterprising young business man and is conducting a hardware store, which is located on Broad street, Nashville, in the building in which his father began his mercantile career. Mr. Dudley, Sr., resides at Pioneer Springs, near Nashville, where he has a model farm, on which he is raising blooded stock. He is a Knights Templar Mason and is a member of the East Nashville Golf and Country Club, the Kiwanis Club, the Hermitage Club and the Commercial Club. Out of the struggle with small opportunities he has come into a field of broad influence and usefulness and his record is that of a self-made man whose success has been won through industry and ability. He has made his influence count as a forceful factor in promoting the interests of Nashville along many lines and his name is inseparably associated with the development and upbuilding of the city. His life has been an honorable and upright one, worthy of all praise, and he is a man whom to know is to esteem and admire. [Source: "Tennessee, the volunteer state, 1769-1923", The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company; pub. 1923]
BENJAMIN F. DUGGAN
Benjamin F. Duggan, M. D., is a son of John and Sarah A. (Burroughs) Duggan, and is of Scotch English descent. The father died a few weeks before out subject was born. Benjamin F. was born January 22, 1820, on Martin County, N. C., and was apprenticed to learn the tailor's trade at the age of ten years. Six years later he began business as a journeyman, and at the age of eighteen he immigrated to Tennessee and began working at his trade at Beech Grove, and while here was ordained as itinerant minister of the Methodist Protestant Church. In 1883 he received the degree of D. D. from the college located at Westminster, Md., and was one of the commissioners that formed the basis of union of the Methodist and Methodist protestant Church in 1875-77 at Baltimore, Md., and has been a member of the general conference of his church at Baltimore in 1850; Lynchburg, Va., in 1858, and Montgomery, Ala., in 1867. About 1850 he began the study of medicine, and entered the Nashville University in the fall of 1853 and graduated in 1877, and located in Unionville. He was married, October 23, 1838, to Nancy A. Elliott, who has borne him five children: Benjamin F., Solon S., Algie A., Sarah A. and Salome J. Our subject has been successful in life, but has also met with many adversities. In December 1861, he became commander of Company A, Fifty-fifth Tennessee Infantry, and was acting colonel from February until the fall of Fort Donelson. When the regiment was organized our subject was made surgeon, and continued in the capacity until the battle of Shiloh. [Source: The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
H. C. DWIGGINS
H. C. Dwiggins was born October 8, 1844, in Alabama. His father, R. S. Dwiggins was born in this State about 1820 and died about 1880. The mother was Ann (Watkins) Dwiggins. Our subject as the eldest of two children born to their union. When about fifteen years old he began milling for his father at Shelbyville. His father built the first three steam mills ever erected in Tennessee. In the fall of 1862 he enlisted in Company D, Fourth Tennessee Calvary, and served until the close of the war. He was in several noted battles, but was not wounded or captured during service. After his return he followed the milling business for his father until 1871, when he erected a mill at Branchville, which he has conducted in connection with merchandising ever since. He was the founder of the village of Branchville, and succeeded in getting a post office in 1876. He has done much to assist in the prosperity of the county, and is a man of influence and a highly honorable gentleman. October 8, 1873, he wedded Mary Curtiss, of Richmond, Tenn. She is a daughter of James H. and Teresa Curtis, and was born in 1854. They have six children: Cassie C., Ethel E., Robbie E., Mamie L., Harry C. and one unnamed. Mr. Dwiggins is a Mason, an Odd Fellow and a Democrat. He has been school director for twelve years , and is still holding the same office. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN, 1886]
HENRY CLAY DYER
Henry C. Dyer was born October 25, 1844, and is the son of William H. and Harriet (Brown) Dyer. The father was born in Bedford County in 1817. He was a farmer and stock raiser and a successful man in business. He was the father of seven children, four of which are living: James H., Mary J., Henry C. and Emily. Mrs. Harriet Dyer died in 1856, and in 1874 Mr. Dyer was married the second time Mr. Dyer was a member of the Missionary Baptist church, and died October 1, 1880. Our subject was born in Bedford County, and education in the common schools. His first employment was farming, and this, in connection with stock-raising, he has always followed. In 1871 he was united in marriage to Miss Eliza Evans, daughter of Nathan Evans of this county and one child as blessed their union, Mary B. Mr. Dyer owns 705 acres of good land, and is a leading farmer of the county. He and wife are worthy members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
HENRY CLAY DYER - A Shelbyville banker and owner of large landed and other property interests in Bedford county, the late Mr. Dyer was a life-long resident of this county and with his family did much to continue the honorable history and accomplishments of the Dyer family in this section of Tennessee since pioneer days.
Henry Clay Dyer was born on a farm eight miles southwest of Shelbyville in Bedford county, October 25, 1845, and died at Shelbyville, March 20, 1913. His father was William Harvey Dyer, born on the same farm in 1818 and grandfather was William Dyer, who was born in North Carolina and came over the mountains to Tennessee, first locating in White county and in 1817 coming to Bedford county. He bought land near what is now the Richmond & Petersburg Pike, and his first home was a log cabin built in the midst of the woods. With his household he had started the clearing of his farm and in the midst of this pioneer labor his life came to an end, only a few months after his settlement there. His widow was left with eight children to care for and she with remarkable thrift and energy kept the family together until they were grown and she continued to occupy the old home until her death at the age of eighty-four years. Her children were Joseph, Gibson, Elizabeth, Samuel, Esther, James, John and William H.
William Harvey Dyer, the father, was reared in the pioneer scenes which prevailed in Bedford county during the decades of the twenties and thirties, and as soon as old enough began assisting his older brothers on the farm. When he was grown to manhood he formed a partnership with his brother, Samuel, and bought the interests of the other heirs in the home farm. This partnership between the brothers was exceptional, both in its duration and in the strength of mutual attachment. They engaged in farming together for forty years, at the end of which time they divided their possessions. The father remained on the farm and was a very successful man, having added to his original estate at different times, until finally he was the owner of twelve hundred acres of land. His death occurred in 1880 and his brother, Samuel, had passed away the previous year when aged about seventy. Samuel had never married and, at his death, he willed his estate to his brother, William H., and children. William H. Dyer married Harriet Brown, who was born in Bedford county, a daughter of James and Sarah (Crump) Brown, both pioneer settlers of Bedford county. Mrs. Dyer died in 1855 and left six children, namely: Harrison, Josephine, Henry Clay, Eugenia, Daniel and Emily. One daughter named Rowena died at the age of two years. [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans : the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will Thomas Hale & Dixon L. Merritt Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
JAMES H. DYER
James H. Dyer, son of William and Harriet (Brown) Dyer, was born April 8, 1841, in Bedford County. He received a good, practical education in the schools of the county and followed agricultural pursuits. In 1872 he was married to Miss Belle Arnold, who bore him seven children: Annie H., James H., Thomas, Roy, Grace B., Harry and Ernest G. Harry died April 26, 1873, and Ernest G. died June 4, 1880. Mrs. Dyer is the daughter of Thomas and Nancy A. Arnold. Mr. Dyer owns 600 acres of fine land in the Twentieth District of Bedford County. He is respected as a man of sound judgment and good sense. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and is one of the leading farmers and stock raisers of the county. His farm is well adapted in the raising of corn, wheat, hay and clover. [Goodspeed's History of Tennessee]
John Dysart Sr., applied for revolutionary pension while living in Bedford County, Tennessee, August 2, 1832. He was born in Chester County Pa, Dec. 25, 1849. He enlisted while residing on Muddy Creek, Burke County, N. C. in 1776, 1777, 1779, 1780 and 1781. He served under the following officers: Captains William Moore, Robert Patton and Samuel Woods, Col McDowell. He was in the battle of King's Mountain. He was referred to as John Dysart, Sr. His father, James Dysart, and his brother, William Dysart, were killed Yadkin River when Gen. Davidson was killed. He died in Bedford County Tenn. Sept., 10, 1842 [Some Tennessee Heros of the Revolution Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1975]
BACK -- HOME