N. W. HALEY
N. W. Haley is a son of E. T. and Susanna (Pratt) Haley, natives of Virginia and North Carolina, respectively. The father was born in 1770, and received a fair education. When about seventeen years of age he went to North Carolina and engaged in farming, and was there married in 1804, and became the father of these nine children: Anderson, James, Mary B., Nancy, Martha, William S., George, E. T. (Jr.), and N. W. Mr. Haley came to Tennessee in 1806, and located in Rutherford County, but in 1829 came to Bedford County, and in 1841 moved to the farm known as 'Oak Grove,' where he died March 23, 1858. He was an 1812 soldier. Mrs. Haley died March 26, 1844. Our subject was born in Bedford County February 1, 1824, and his early days were passed in laboring on his father's farm. His educational opportunities were limited, owing to his services being required at home, but by contact with business life he has gained a fair business education. He is a farmer and stock raiser, and a Democrat in his political views. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church South. [The Goodspeed History of Bedford County TN 1886]
JOHN V. HALL
John V. Hall was born March 31, 1841, in Bedford County, Tenn., and is the elder of two children born to Joshua and Margaret (Swift) Hall, both natives of Bedford County. The father was born about 1804, and died in 1854. The mother was born September 14, 1815, and is still living. Flower Swift, our subject's maternal grandfather, was a native of North Carolina, born June 3, 1787, and died in January, 1851. His wife, Catherine Swift, was also born in North Carolina, October 16, 1791, and died in 1861. The paternal grandparents of our subject were born about 1775 or 1776, in the State of North Carolina, and immigrated to Tennessee at a very early date. Our subject was reared on the farm, and remained on the same until the breaking out of the war. He then entered the Confederate service in Company F, Forty-first Tennessee Infantry, and was captured together with the entire regiment at Fort Donelson. He was taken first to Lafayette, and after remaining there about three weeks was taken to Camp Morton, Indianapolis, Ind., where they remained about seven months. They were then exchanged at Vicksburg, Miss. Mr. Hall was in but two battles in Tennessee; Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge. After these battles his regiment was ordered to Georgia and Mississippi. He was discharged at Dalton, Ga., in 1864, on account of his health. He then came home and bought a half interest in the mill property that he now owns, known as 'Hall's Mills.' In 1874 he bought the entire interest of the mill, and since that time he has operated the mill on his own responsibility. April 6, 1871, he wedded Ella F. Turrentine, of this county. She was born November 24, 1854. This union resulted in the birth of five children: William J., Emmett E., John T., Joseph E. and Sammy B. Mr. Hall was elected to the office of magistrate in the year 1871, and has served in that capacity for the last fifteen years. He is magistrate at the present time, and fills the office in an able manner. He received a comparatively good education, and is a Democrat in politics. [Source: Goodspeeds History of TN]
PAUL ESLEY HAMMACK
Paul Esley Hammack is one of the younger representatives of the Chattanooga bar. Although admitted to practice in 1917 he has not continuously followed this profession, as it was necessary to turn his attention to commercial pursuits during the World war period. Following the close of hostilities he resumed practice and is making steady advancement in his chosen life work. Mr. Hammack was born at Fort Payne, Dekalb county, Alabama, August 7, 1888, a son of Hugh Jack and Mary (Lyons) Hammack. The father was also born at Fort Payne and has always lived on the home farm of Thomas Hammack, who was one of the first settlers of northern Alabama, establishing his home near North Bend post office fifty-one miles south of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This was before the Alabama Great Southern Railroad was built and provisions had to be hauled from Rome, Georgia, over Lookout mountain, by wagon drawn by oxen and driven by negroes owned by Mr. Hammack, whose slave possessions numbered forty. Thomas Hammack and his wife, Harriet, were the parents of Hugh Jack Hammack, and the latter, reared on the old homestead, was married after attaining his majority to Miss Mary Lyons, a daughter of John and Sarah Lyons, who lived at Straw Plain, Tennessee, near Knoxville, at the time of the birth of their daughter, Mary, who removed to North Bend, now Fort Payne, Alabama, with her father and the family after the Civil war. John Lyons was a private in the Confederate army and all of his wife's brothers were members of the Federal army.
His wife, Sarah Lyons, was a descendant of the Tarver family, many of whose representatives still live in and near Knoxville, Tennessee, while the branch of the family to which Mrs. Lyons belongs became residents of Alabama. Paul E. Hammack says that is why a dyed-in-the-wool southerner is proud of his Yankee grandmother, who, though her own brothers differed from her husband in the great conflict, proved herself to be a true wife to the man she promised to love, honor and obey. In the Lyons family the lineage can be traced back to the great-grandfather, Frank Lyons of Straw Plain, Tennessee, who was the promoter of the stage line from Knoxville to Bristol and who had made the trip to Alabama overland with his son and wife. To an equally remote ancestry the lineage of the Hammack family can be traced as Thomas Hammack, the grandfather, was a son of Hugh Hammack.
It is said that the Hammack name originated by the finding of a boy baby on a ship from England bound for the coast of Georgia and that this child was Hugh Hammack, the great-grandfather of Paul E. Hammack, so named because when found he was sleeping in a hammock on the ship. Hugh Hammack became a resident of Coweta county, Georgia, and his son, Thomas Hammack, made his way to a point in Alabama, then called Big Bend post office. There he married Harriet Jack of Knox county, Tennessee, a daughter of Allen Jack, who settled at French Broad and Holston rivers. It will thus be seen that Paul E. Hammack is a representative of several of the oldest and best known southern families. Reared under the parental roof, his first teacher in the Alabama public schools was W. V. Jacoway, then in charge of the Davis school but now postmaster at Fort Payne, Alabama. Mr. Hammack began his school work when a lad of seven years. Later he was a pupil under Olena Dobbs, a daughter of Colonel Lodd Dobbs, a prominent Alabama lawyer. He attended the Dekalb county high school and at the age of seventeen years entered the North Alabama College at Fort Payne, where he pursued his studies for two years. He afterward entered the Chattanooga College of Law in 1912 under Dean Charles R. Evans and completed his course there in 1914, winning the degree of Bachelor of Law. He passed the required bar examination in 1917 and in November of that year began practice with Joseph Heber Altaffer in the News building, now the Pound building, where he remained until August, 1918, when he abandoned his practice to look after the interests of his brother, Thomas Hammack, in the Lookout Auto Supply Company, while his brother was participating in the World war in France. On his return Paul E. Hammack resumed the practice of his profession with his former partner at No. 110 E. Seventh street.
On the 19th of June, 1915, in Chattanooga, Mr. Hammack was united in marriage to Miss Maud Vera McNutt, a daughter of Square Edmond and Queen Victoria McNutt of Tullahoma, Tennessee. In the paternal line the ancestry of Mrs. Hammack is traced back to Alexander McNutt, who came from Scotland to America. His son, David McNutt, removed from Maryland to Pennsylvania and afterward became a resident of North Carolina. He was married twice and by his first wife had nine children. Her death occurred in North Carolina. He afterward wedded Rachel Kater of Welsh descent. They came to Tennessee in 1814, settling near Three Forks on the Duck river in Bedford county, there establishing their home when Jesse McNutt, the grandfather of Mrs. Hammack, was ten years of age. He was born in Orange county, North Carolina, June 21, 1805, and died April 15, 1883. He first married Rhoda Dunaway, who died in 1834. They were the parents of seven children. There were also seven children by his second wife, Phoebe Turner, and to him and his third wife, Eliza Meadows, there were also born seven children. Jesse McNutt removed from the vicinity of Knoxville to Moore county, Tennessee, and his third wife, Eliza Meadows, was a native of Moore county. She was the mother of Square Edmond McNutt, who married Queen Victoria Sanders, a daughter of William Boon and Martha (Driver) Sanders, the latter a daughter of Ben Driver, and his mother was Nancy Avaunt, and Maud Vera McNutt was also descended in the maternal line from a relative of Jack Daniel of Lynchburg. Mr. and Mrs. Hammack have become parents of two children: Mary Katherine, born January 30, 1918; and Joseph Edward, born January 11, 1921. The religious faith of the family is that of the Baptist church and Mr. Hammack belongs to the Junior Order of the United American Mechanics and also to the Improved Order of the Tribe of Ben Hur. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party and he was census enumerator for Fort Payne, Alabama, in 1910, receiving endorsement for absolute perfection in this work from the census supervisor of the state. During the World war he was helpful in the home activities such as the questionnaires and the sale of war bonds and other things which promoted the interests of the government in that hour of crisis. [Source: Tennessee the Volunteer State 1769 - 1923]
Hiram Harris, an old and prominent farmer, was born October 20,1806, in North Carolina, and is a son of James and Nancy (Thompson) Harris, both natives of North Carolina. They were married in this State, and in 1808 came to Tennessee and located in Bedford County, where they spent the remainder of their days. The father followed agricultural pursuits, and during Indian troubles he was captain of a company under Jackson. In 1863 he died, and about seven years later his widow too passed away, both living to a ripe old age. Our subject was educated in the old-time schools, and at the age of twenty-one bought a farm of his own and began his career as a free and independent farmer. In 1837 he came to Marshall County, and has made this his home ever since. In 1828 he wedded Jane P. Johnson, who was born in Davidson County, Tenn., July 3, 1807, and to them were born eleven children. Mr. Harris is a Democrat, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Protestant Church. He has a fine farm of over 200 acres. He has been a resident of this county for nearly thirty years and is a highly respected citizen. He and wife are enjoying good health and fifty-eight years of wedded life.
Hiram Harris died in Marshall Co TN 10 October 1889.
[The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
JAMES RICHARD HART
1877 - 1921
In speaking of the science of dentistry, Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes once wrote: "The dental profession has established and prolonged the reign of beauty; it has added to the charms of social intercourse, and lent perfection to the accents of eloquence; it has taken from old age its most unwelcome feature, and lengthened enjoyable human life far beyond the limits of the years when the toothless and purblind patriarch might well exclaim: 'I have no pleasure in them.'" Among the dental practitioners of Tennessee who have attained distinction in their chosen profession, which during recent years has made such rapid and pronounced advance in the elevation of standards and the perfection of scientific methods Dr. James Richard Hart, of Lynchburg, is deserving of prominent mention. Since 1908 he has been engaged in practice in his present field of endeavor, and has not only built up a representative professional business, but has firmly established himself in the confidence of the people as a progressive and public-spirited citizen.
Dr. Hart was born in District No. 22, Bedford county, Tennessee, September 28, 1877, and is a son of Jesse F. and Mattie (Petty) Hart. Derrell Hart, the grandfather of James R. Hart, came to Tennessee from North Carolina, (Derrel was actually born in Bedford TN. - It was his father Henry that came from South Carolina) and at an early date located in District No. 22, Bedford county, where he became a prominent farmer. Here he married Rachel Morris, by whom he had six sons and three daughters, and she still survives him, having reached the remarkable age of ninety-four years. Mr. Hart's death occurred in 1880 (he died 9 October 1876), when he was sixty years (58 yrs) of age. Jesse F. Hart is the seventh in order of birth of his parents children, and was born in July, 1854, in Bedford county. There he received a common school education and grew to manhood, and at the age of twenty years entered the ministry of the Baptist church, to the work of which he has since given the greater part of his time, although he is also the owner of a farm. His political views are those of the Democratic party.
He was married in Bedford county in 1874 to Miss Mattie Petty, a native of that country, who was born in 1858 and died in 1906. They became the parents of seven children, of whom six are now living, and James R. is the second oldest.
The early education of James R. Hart was secured in the public school of Bedford county, following which he took a course in the Brandon Training School at Wartrace. He then entered the mercantile field as a clerk in a dry goods store, in which capacity he spent three years, and the succeeding two years were passed in traveling through the state of Texas as a salesman. At the end of this period, returning to Tennessee he entered the dental department of Vanderbilt University where he received the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery in 1908, and at once located in Lynchburg where he continued in the enjoyment of a large practice. He has employed none of the methods of the charlatan but has confined his work strictly to the scientific lines and the success which has rewarded his efforts is but the due the appreciation of merit and ability. He is a valued member of the Tennessee Dental Association and also is connected with Camp # 379 Woodmen of the World, and S. E. H. Dance Lodge #180, Knights of Pythias. In June 1913 Dr. Hart was representative of the Grand Lodge K.P. at Ovoca, TN. His political support has always been given the Democratic candidates and principles. [Tennessee and Tennesseans by Will Hale 1913]
JOHN STEPHEN HART
1879 - 1951
Born in Moore County TN on February 25, 1879, of Scotch-Irish descent. His parents were Jesse and Mattie Petty Hart; his paternal grandparents were Derrel and Rachel (Morris) Hart. His maternal grandfather was Presley Petty. He married Lizzie Ellen Murray April 29, 1900. Educated in the public schools of Bedford County, Tennessee, he is a member of the M. W. of America. Mr. Hart was elected tax assessor in 1934 to fill the unexpired term of Leland Jordan who was appointed Postmaster. He was then re-elected in September 1935, for a full four-year term. He has filled this office with honor and efficiency. He is the father of eight children. [Prominent Tennesseans, 1940]
Joseph Hastings, born November 25, 1757 and died January 30, 1816 in Bedford County, Tennessee. Joseph Hastings for whom Hastings' Camp Ground in the Twenty-third District was named came from Orange County, North Carolina with sons, daughters and their families in 1807. Joseph's grandfather was also named Joseph. He was born in 1708 and died at a hundred years of age in North Carolina. The father of the Joseph who came to Bedford County was Henry Hastings, born 1727 in North Carolina and died May 17, 1812, and was buried at New Hope Cemetery, five miles from Hillsboro, Orange, North Carolina. His wife was Elizabeth _______, born 1740 and died July 7, 1800. The children of Joseph and Susannah Holloway Hastings were: 1) Martha, born 1779, married Thomas Sykes Cates. (Their tombstone at New Hope have "Father" T. S. Cates 1775-1843, "Mother" M. Cates 1779-1818). 2) Joseph, born November 18, 1782, married Nancy Pittman. (Tombstones at New Hope: Joseph Hastings, November 10, 1782, October 13, 1868; Nancy Hastings, August 31, 1781, September 12, 1864, age: 83 yrs & 11 days.) 3) Henry, born 1783, married Sarah Hudlow. 4) Robert, born February 7, 1785, married Jane Pittman. 5) Stephen, married Catherine Hudlow. 6) Susannah, married Samuel Pollock.
Joseph Hastings served as a Patriot in readiness to be called into service at a moment's notice. "Hillsboro, April 8, 1782 (Page 586, North Carolina Records).
Joseph Hastings of Orange County is hereby permitted to remain with his family until called on by me or the Commander-in-chief for the time being. He holding himself in readiness to obey such a call at a moment's notice after which he is to perform such service as shall be assigned to him, to the best of his abilities." Joseph Hastings' land was east of the New Hope Church building, some of it is still owned by Randolph Hastings, a descendant. Perhaps the New Hope in Bedford County was named for the one in North Carolina where Joseph's father, Henry was buried. Joseph Hastings was listed in the 1812 Tax List of Bedford County, Tennessee as Joseph Haistings, in Captain John McWilliams Company. Joseph, Sr., and Joseph, Jr., were both Justices of Bedford County. In 1810, Joseph Hastings purchased Lot # 10 in the Town of Shelbyville. This Lot was at corner of Holland and Deery Streets. New Hope Church, formerly Hastings Camp Ground, is located near Hastings Spring on the New Hope Road, southeast of Shelbyville, Tennessee, in the 23rd District. New Hope was a Cumberland Presbyterian Church, erected about 1821. Early ministers were: Reverands William McGee and Samuel King, Co-founder of the Cumberland Presbyterian Denomination. The present building still stands in disuse for 60 years, except on Decoration Day in May. It is plain white building with two front doors, in an isolated and peaceful rural setting. Spencer Brown and wife Partheny Pratt Brown gave additional land for New Hope Cumberland Presbyterian Church in the 23rd Civil District for $1.00. (Date not established). John Hastings gave 2 acres and 79 poles of land to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at New Hope, adjoining land sold the said church by Spencer & Parthena Pratt Brown, September 12, 1856. (This additional land seems to have included part of the cemetery on which there had been graves for many years. Ref: Information for some of this article was supplied by T. R. Marsh, Shelbyville, Tennessee and Mrs. Louise G. Brown of Columbia, Tennessee, who is working on a book on the Hastings Family, and also from a letter to the Shelbyville Times-Gazette, August 2, 1967, written by Ruth Cates Robinson, Lookout Mountain, Tennessee.) [Bedford County Historical Quarterly, Vol. 6, No. 1., Shelbyville, Tennessee. Spring 1980. Page 18-19. Contributed by Chuck Seel]
JOSEPH HASTINGS, JR.
Joseph Hastings, Jr., the son of Joseph, Sr., and Susannah Holloway, was born in Hillsboro, Orange County, North Carolina on November 18, 1782. Joseph, Hastings, Jr. married Nancy Pittman on April 9, 1800, in Orange County, North Carolina. Six children were born to this union, including Jo Harriet, who was born in 1815. Known children are: John M.; Frances lived to about 15 years old; Cynthia abt. 1812 (m. William Snowden Wallace);Nancy 4 Mar. 1808 - 12 Jan 1885 (m. Joshua Woosley); Jo Harriet abt. 1815 - after 1880 (m. William E. Woosley). He moved to the state of Tennessee in 1807, along with his father, brothers, and sisters, and all their families. He was made Justice of the Peace in 1827. This office was held by several men who were the local court of the time. The 23rd District was formed in 1836 and the elections were held at the house of Joseph Hastings, Esq. He was a school commissioner in 1841. He was quite prosperous and was able to buy up most of his father's estate, including Negroes, from the other heirs. In 1839 he bought a Negro boy named Joseph, who was about 29 years old. He paid $1,310 for him and sold him a year later for $1,410. Nancy died September 12, 1864 at the age of 83. Joseph Hastings died on October 13, 1868 at the age of 85. Both are buried at New Hope Cemetery in Bedford County, Tennessee. [Bedford County Historical Quarterly, Vol. 6, No. 1., Shelbyville, Tennessee. Spring 1980. Page 18-19. Contributed by Chuck Seel]
W. L. HAYNES
Merchant; born Moore Co., Tenn., Dec. 23, 1857; son of Emerson and Catherine (Reed) Haynes; father Baptist minister; educated in Bedford Co., Tenn.; began his career as a farmer; married Sallie C. Whittaker; Democrat; former Deputy Sheriff, Constable and City Policeman; at present he is Alderman of the city of Shelbyville, Tenn.; member of Methodist church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
W. R. HAYNES
W. R. Haynes, furniture dealer and undertake, was born June 29, 1844, in Williamson County, Tenn., being a son of R. R. and Sarah A. (Merritt) Haynes. The father was born in Rutherford County, Tenn., about 1808, was a cabinet-maker by trade and died in Williamson County, Tenn., in 1867. The mother was born about 1810 and is yet living. The subject of this sketch was reared at Triune, Williamson County, and learned his father's trade. He served throughout the war in Company F, Fourth Tennessee Cavalry and received a wound at Wartrace in a skirmish. He was in all the important battles of the southwest with Forrest's brigade. For a time he then earned his living at manual employment and then for two years he conducted a furniture and undertaking business at Triune. In October, 1872, he came to Shelbyville and opened up his business and has been very successful ever since. He was married May 31, 1876, to Mollie E. Summers, the result of this union being four children: Mary B.; Kate S.; Sadie and William R., Jr. All the family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, Mr. Haynes being a steward in the church. Politically he is a Democrat, and he is an enterprising citizen of this county. [Goodspeed History of Tennessee]
HOWARD D. HENDERSON
Howard Douglas Henderson, a member of one of the oldest and most prominent families of Tennessee, is serving as treasurer and credit manager of the firm of Henry King & Company, wholesale grocers of Murfreesboro, Tullahoma and McMinnville, which firm is allied with Tregg Dobbs & Company of Chattanooga, forming one of the largest wholesale grocery concerns of the south. He has risen to his present position of prominence in business circles of the city through industry, ability and concentrated effort. He was born near Wartrace, in Bedford county, Tennessee, August 16, 1884, a son of Albert Gallatin and Mattie (Holt) Henderson, the latter also a native of that section, while the former was born in Rutherford county, both being representatives of pioneer families of the state. The great-great-grandfather, Samuel Henderson, was a soldier of the Revolutionary war, serving as a lieutenant in Colonel Anderson's Regiment of South Carolina Militia. He was the founder of the family in Tennessee, moving to this state from Laurens county, South Carolina, in 1805. He built a log cabin in the forest, about eight miles from Murfreesboro, and near his dwelling was a landmark known as Bear Wallow, to which the animals came in large numbers to disport in the stream. In this primitive home he lived with his son and in this section the grandfather, Albert Gallatin Henderson, subsequently erected a modern two-story residence of ante-bellum days. He was one of the successful planters of the county and a man of influence in his community. For many years he served as justice of the peace, settling law suits in this section of the state and rendering decisions of the utmost fairness and impartiality. His son, Albert Gallatin Henderson, Jr., acted for many years as buyer for one of the large cotton mills of Tennessee and at the time of the outbreak of the Civil war he was but six years of age. The home of his parents was situated almost on the edge of the Murfreesboro battlefield and he witnessed many of the scenes enacted during that memorable struggle. He passed away on the 14th of January, 1920. The mother is still living, having reached the age of sixty-five years, and resides in Nashville.
John Holt, the great-great-grandfather in the maternal line, came to Tennessee about 1810 from Orange county, North Carolina, settling about a mile west of the present site of Wartrace, and the log cabin which he built in the woods in those early days is still standing. His son, Henry Holt, inherited the home, in which he spent his later years, and during the War of 1812 he served under the famous general, Andrew Jackson, formerly the nation's chief executive. Mrs. Henderson's father, Berry D. Holt, was a successful farmer and planter, while he also took a prominent part in public affairs, holding several county offices, and prior to the Civil war he was a colonel in the state militia. Mr. Henderson is related to several of the former families of Virginia and the Carolinas, the McGuires, Loves, Harts and others. William McGuire, great-great-grandfather, fought in the Revolutionary war from Virginia and rose to the rank of Lieutenant. The Harts were a very prominent colonial family in Orange county, North Carolina. The public schools of Nashville afforded Howard D. Henderson his early educational opportunities and he afterward attended Bowen Academy, subsequently spending one year as a student at Vanderbilt University. His initial business experience was obtained in the local offices of the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad Company and for several years he remained in their employ, working in a clerical capacity. In 1907 he tendered his resignation and came to Murfreesboro as head bookkeeper and credit man for the wholesale grocery house of King-Ragland & Company. On the 1st of June, 1915, the business was reorganized and incorporated under the name of Henry King & Company and Mr. Henderson's faithful and efficient service was rewarded by promotion to the offices of treasurer and credit manager, in which capacities he has since been retained. He gives his close personal attention to every detail of the business and has labored effectively to broaden the scope of the undertaking, which has greatly prospered under his progressive administration.
Mr. Henderson was married on April 17, 1912, to Miss Mamie Weems of Shubuta, Mississippi, belonging to a pioneer family of Abbeville county, South Carolina. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson have become the parents of a daughter, Sarah. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and Mr. Henderson is serving as treasurer of the Sunday school. He is also a member of the Murfreesboro Commercial Club, the Rotary Club, the Murfreesboro Golf & Country Club and the Sons of the American Revolution. Fraternally he is identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, having membership with Murfreesboro Lodge, No. 1047. He is also prominent in Masonry, belonging to Mount Moriah Lodge, No. 18, F. & A. M.; Pythagoras Chapter, R. A. M.; Murfreesboro Commandery, No. 10, K. T.; and Al Menah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. Mr. Henderson has never feared that laborious attention to business which must precede ascendancy and throughout his business career he has been a persistent, resolute and energetic worker. The years have chronicled his steady progress and he is now numbered among the successful business men of Murfreesboro, while his individual qualities are such as have gained for him warm and enduring regard. [Source: Tennessee the Volunteer State Vol 4]
ARTHUR HENRY HICKERSON
Merchant; born near Manchester, Tenn., Feb. 14, 1885; Irish descent; son of William Thomas and Frances (Banks) Hickerson; father's occupation farming; paternal grandparents Joe and Tenn (Morton) Hickerson; maternal grandparents John M. and Marandy (Banks) Banks; educated at Fairfield, Tenn.; began career as clerk; at present he is engaged in general merchandise at Wartrace, Tenn.; married Annie Isom May 6, 1909. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
W. G. HIGHT
W. G. Hight, proprietor of the National Livery Stable, was born March 27, 1845, in Bedford County, being a son of W. G. and Naomi (Patterson) Hight, both natives of Bedford County. The father was a farmer; he was born in 1818. He was a successful farmer and trader, and was prominently connected with public affairs of the county. He died in 1881 in Arkansas, where he had moved in 1867. The mother died about 1875; now but two of the family are living in the county. Our subject was reared on a farm; at the age of twenty he married and began farming, and continued to farm till 1871. He then engaged in merchandising at Rover, Bedford Co., Tenn., till 1878, and also owned an interest in a mercantile trade at Wartrace from 1876 till 1878. He then ran a mill and stock business at Rover till 1884, when he went to Bell Buckle, and for a short time sold goods there. He then engaged in the livery business in Shelbyville, now doing an extensive trade. He also owns a farm of 140 acres and a saw-mill. He was married in 1865 to Miss Lucy J. Taylor, the result of this union being six children, five of whom are now living, viz.: Eula R., Naomi E., Mary N., William E. J., Alice (the one who died) and Nola P. Mr. Hight and family are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. He is a member of the F. & A. M. Politically he is a Democrat. He is one of the enterprising citizens of Shelbyville, and takes special interest in securing to his children good educational advantages. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
Though now to some extent retired from business activities, Thompson Hiles, a prominent citizen of Rome, yet retains enough active interests to require his presence in his office every day. Though Mr. Hiles has been identified with Northwest Georgia for a generation, he is a native of Tennessee, born in Shelbyville, January 8, 1841; son of Joseph Hiles, a farmer, born in Virginia, moved to Tennessee, and married Abilene Anthony, a native of Shelbyville. Joseph Hiles wife, Abilene Anthony, was probably also descended from a Virginia family, for so far as is known, the Southern Anthony family came from that State about the Revolutionary period.
Captain Hiles was educated in the Lynchburg, Tennessee, Academy and the University located at Shelbyville; and was just reaching manhood on the outbreak, of the War between the States. He became a soldier in the Seventeenth Tennessee Regiment, attached first to the Army of Northern Virginia, and later to the Western Armies. He served with the rank of Brevet-Captain and participated in the desperate struggles of Chickamauga, Perryville (Kentucky), Drewry's Bluff (Virginia), and the siege of Petersburg. He served through the whole war with fidelity and with credit, and is now the holder of a Confederate Medal of Honor. In 1866, Captain Hiles engaged in the dry goods business at Summerville, Georgia. A prudent, steady going, capable man, his affairs prospered; and in 1860 he moved to Rome and established the wholesale dry goods business known as the Thompson Hiles Company, which, after doing a large and prosperous business for years, he sold out in 1890. He had, however, always retained an interest at Summerville, and the firm of Thompson Hiles and Company, yet doing a large business in that town, is one of the oldest and strongest firms of the section. He also retains an interest in the Chattooga County Bank, of Summerville, in which he is a director. He has been for thirty years unbrokenly a director in the First National Bank of Rome and is recognized as one of the soundest and safest financiers of his section.
Captain Hiles has served as a member of the City Council, and one term as Mayor of the city. He is active in the work of the Methodist Church, of which he is a steward; and is affiliated with the various Masonic lodges, also with Rome Commandery No. 8 of the Knights Templar.
Captain Hiles has been twice married; first, in 1868, to Elizabeth Sturdivant, of Summerville, Georgia, a daughter of James D. and Margaret (McClure) Sturdivant. His second wife was Clalie McWilliams, of Rome, daughter of O. H. and Julia (Pope) McWilliams. Of his marriages there have been six children born. The living children of the first marriage are Mrs. Harper Hamilton; Gordon Hiles, of Atlanta; and Mrs. J. R. Moorman. The living child of the second marriage is Thompson Hiles, Junior.
Captain Hiles political sympathies have always been with the Democratic party. Ho believes that the broadening of our educational facilities is the primary need of Georgia, and he would like to see our people concentrate their energies in that direction in order that our children and our children's children may have advantages which have been denied to us, and which will qualify them to do larger things than we have been able to do.
Captain Hiles has nearly reached the Biblical three score and ten. He has served his country faithfully and well, both in war and peace; and by his ability, his industry and his economy he has accumulated a competency and enjoys the esteem of the community in which more than forty years of his life have been spent. Bernard Suttler. [Source: Men of Mark in Georgia: a Complete and Elaborate History..., 1835-1913, Vol. 6; By William J. Northern ]
NOTES: Died 18 Sep 1913 in Rome GA - buried at Myrtle Hill Cemetery in Floyd Co GA
MILITARY: Captain - Company: A, 17th Tennessee
Enlisted May 16, 1861. Wounded severely at Perryville Oct. 8, 1862.
Captured in front of Petersburg, VA June 17, 1864.
Sent to Elmira, N.Y. Took Oath of Allegiance at Knoxville, TN March 23, 1865.
Listed place of residence as Bedford Co. TN.
J. H. HIX
J. H. Hix was born August 15, 1855, in Bedford County, being a son of J. L. Hix, a retired farmer, living in Shelbyville. The father was born and raised in Bedford County, as was the mother, nee Hulda Holt, also. She died in 1883. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm to the age of fifteen, when he began clerking in the grocery business. In 1880 he opened up the bar and confectionery business, which he has ever since very successfully continued. He was married, January 27, 1881, to Miss Ada Harmon, a native of Warren County, Tenn., then living in Nashville. One son, John, has been born to this union. Mr. Hix is a member of the Republican party. He has never aspired to any public office, but he does a thriving business in his line. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
WILLIAM S. HIX
William S. Hix, farmer, was born May 14, 1825, and is the son of Demarcus D. and Malinda (Stewart) Hix. The father of our subject was born in Halifax County. Va., in 1801, and when only five years of age he, with his father, immigrated to Tennessee and settled in Bedford County. He was a farmer and stock raiser, and was married when quite young. He was the father of twelve children, all of whom were reared to maturity. He died September 19, 1872, a pious member of the Primitive Baptist Church. His wife followed him April 30, 1874, and was a member of the same church. Our subject has always been a farmer, and in 1847 was married to Miss Martha A. Word, a native of Bedford County. The result of this union was twelve children, viz.: John A. (deceased), James H. (deceased), Benjamin F., Asenith M. (deceased), Demarcus D., William W., Martha W. J. (deceased), Ailsey C., Louisa F. (deceased), Mary E., Joseph J. and Lillie A. Mr. Hix owns 474 acres of land in the Twenty-third District of Bedford County, is a member of the Primitive Baptist Church and a leading citizen. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
LEMUEL RANSOM HOGAN
Minister of the gospel; born Rover, (Bedford Co) Tenn., July 22, 1875; Irish descent; son of Thomas and Delilah Hogan; father's occupation mechanic and farmer; moved to Texas in 1893; joined Presbytery in 1898; entered Patterson Institute, Hillsboro, Tex. In preparation for the ministry; educated at University, Miss., Lebanon, Tenn., and Cincinnati, O.; graduated from University of Cincinnati with A.B. degree June, 1908, after having finished in Theological Seminary of Cumberland University, Lebanon, Tenn., B.D. 1907; took post-graduate course from Lane Theological Seminary in 1908; served first pastorate Toledo, O., taking charge of same in 1907, and built Rosewood Avenue Church of that city; pastorate at McMinnville, Tenn. began Feb., 1908; married Irene Logan, daughter of Rev. G.D. Logan, July 31, 1908; member of Presbyterian church, U.S.A. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
BERRY D. HOLT
Berry D. Holt was born March 4, 1824, in Bedford County, Tenn., on a farm adjoining the one where he now resides. His father, Henry Holt, was a native of Orange County, N. C., and immigrated with his parents to Tennessee when a small boy. He was born in 1792, and married Miss Elizabeth McGuire, a native of Kentucky, who came to this State when a child, and who was of Irish descent. Henry Holt was of German descent, and a farmer by occupation. He died in 1864. The mother still survives. Our subject was educated in the country schools of his native county, and lived with his parents until reaching his majority. For a number of years after this he followed farming and trading in stock. About 1860 he began railroading as a train conductor on the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad, and on the accommodation train between Nashville and Wartrace for about fifteen years. After that, and up to the year 1885, he ran a through train between Hickman and Chattanooga, and superintended his farm. In 1885 he quit railroading on account of failing health, and now devotes his attention principally to farming. In 1848 he married Miss Lucretia Hart, a native of this county, and to them were born five children: Bettie, William T., John W., Mattie and James B. The mother of these children died May, 1863, and in 1869 their father married Mrs. Mary Roundtree, formerly Mary Kubley, a native of Switzerland. She is the mother of one child - Maggie - by her first husband, Maj. William Roundtree. Our subject was a colonel of the militia during the fifties, and during the late war, while acting as railroad conductor, his railroad was held by the Federal Army. He is one of the trustees of the Wartrace Male and Female Institute, and owns a fine farm of 290 acres. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.[The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
JAMES BERRY HOLT
Railroad agent; born at Wartrace, (Bedford Co) Tenn., July 18, 1861; English descent; son of B.D. and Lucretia (Hart) Holt; father's occupation former railroad conductor, now farmer; paternal grandparents Henry and Elizabeth (McGuire) Holt; maternal grandparents James and Sarah (Fossett) Hart; graduated at Wartrace, Tenn. June 1, 1879; reared on farm and began his business career as a telegraph operator, later became train dispatcher; now railroad agent and express agent at McMinnville, Tenn.; married Geneva B. White Oct. 26, 1899; Democrat. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JOHN M. HOLT
J. M. Holt, a farmer and stock-raiser of Green township, Nodaway county, residing on section 10. was born in Bedford county, Tennessee. May 24, 1819, and is a son of John and Elizabeth Holt. His father was a native of Ireland and his mother of North Carolina. They were married in 1815 and afterward took up their residence in Bedford county, Tennessee, where the father died. In 1815 our subject, accompanied by his mother, removed to Clay county, Missouri, and in 1855 came to Nodaway county, locating at his present home. Mr. Holt was united in marriage, on the 10th of November, 1840, to Miss Harriet J. Avers, who was born in Bedford county, Tennessee, July 19, 1823 and was a daughter of Moses and Mary Avers, natives of Georgia. Mr. and Mrs. Holt have seven children living, namely: Moses H.; Alexander; John W.; Elgiba; George; M. L. R. and A. J. They have also lost three children Mary, William J. and Phoebe J. Both the parents are members of the Christian church and Mr. Holt belongs to Quitman Lodge No. 196, A. F. & A. M. Our subject is recognized as one of the leading citizens of Green township. In 1861 he enlisted in Captain McQuittie's Company under General Price and was in the service until July. 1862. He was once arrested for treason, but was afterwards discharged. Since the war he has carried on agricultural pursuits and is now the owner of a good property in Green township, Nodaway county. He is well advanced in years and an honorable, upright life has gained him uniform respect and veneration. [A Biographical of Nodaway and Atchison Missouri; Lewis Publishing Co., 1901]
JOHN W. HOLT
John W. Holt was born February 22, 1855, in Bedford County, Tenn.; son of B. D. and Lucretia (Hart) Bolt, natives also of this county. The father is one of the prominent farmers of the county. The mother died in 1863. Our subject was educated at the Wartrace High School, and lived with and assisted his father on the farm until he was about seventeen years of age. He then took a course in the telegraphing department of the Cumberland University at Lebanon, Tenn. In 1875 he took charge of the telegraph office at McEwen, Tenn., and remained there seven months. He was then assigned the office at Johnsonville, which he declined, and in 1877 took charge of the office at Christiana and remained there three years. He then took charge of the agency of the railroad and telegraph office at McMinnville, where he remained but a short time. He then went to Nashville and entered the general bookkeeping office, where he remained eight months. He then took charge of the Western Union telegraph office at Bowling Green, Ky.; in five months he left, and in 1880 took charge of the ticket, telegraph and Southern Express office at Wartrace, where he now resides. In 1882 he married Miss Blanch Halbach, a native of Virginia, and this union was blessed by two children: Cecil R. and Herbert F. Our subject is a member of the Royal Arcanum, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
H. E. HOOVER
It is a fact which would hardly seem probable, were it not proved by irrefutable evidence, that a majority of the men who today stand at the head of the various professions and in business and financial circles entered upon their careers with few resources other than those with which they were endowed by nature. There seems to be something in the mere fact of original poverty which brings out the latent talents and develops the character of an individual, supplying him with the ambition to do and the ability to perform, where, under different circumstances, the incentive being lacking, the possessor of these rare gifts might have passed his days in mediocrity, unknowing and unknown. Texas furnishes numerous examples of those who have fairly won the oft-abused but still honorable title of "self-made man," and among them H. E. Hoover, legal practitioner of Canadian, takes prominent rank. A brief review of his career will illustrate the steps by which he has gained his high standing not alone in his profession but in the world of business as well.
H. E. Hoover was born at Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tennessee, November 16, 1863, and is a son of H. N. and Amanda (Rankin) Hoover, natives of Tennessee. His father, a well-known farmer and merchant of Murfreesboro enlisted for service in the Confederate army during the war between the North and the South, and became captain of a company in the Twenty-first Tennessee Regiment. He was wounded first at the battle of Shiloh and in 1863 received a wound at Island No. 10 which proved mortal, his death occurring at Natchez, Mississippi. A man in the prime of life, only twenty-four years of age, he was a martyr to the Lost Cause, but left behind him a record of which his family has no reason to feel ashamed. Mr. Hoover married Amanda Rankin, who was educated, reared and married in the Big Bend State, and she still survives him and makes her home with her son at Canadian, being seventy-three years of age. Two children were born to this union: Dr. Thomas R., who was a practicing physician at Canadian until his death in 1891; and H. E.
In his youth Mr. Hoover had to be content with such educational advantages as were to be secured in the log school house in the vicinity of his mother's plantation, on which he worked faithfully during the summer months, accepting whatever opportunities presented themselves to gain more learning or to earn extra money. He first came to the Panhandle of Texas April 5, 1886, and located at Higgins, Lipscomb County, on a section of land, but not long thereafter returned to Tennessee and entered the law department of Cumberland University, Lebanon. He was graduated from that institution in the spring of 1889, and almost immediately thereafter returned to Lipscomb County, where he was engaged in practice until 1891, that year marking his advent in Canadian. The foresight which made him confident of the future of Texas and the opportunity for achieving success here has since been amply justified, for he is today known as one of the ablest legists in this part of the State. While he is essentially a professional man, he has grasped business opportunities as he has seen them, and today holds directorships in the Santa Fe Railway System, the First National Bank of Canadian, the White House Lumber Company, the Canadian Water, Light and Power Company, the Texas Bonding and Casualty Company, the Lumbermen's Brick and Cement Company of Kansas City, Missouri, and several other large and important enterprises. As a lawyer, during nearly a quarter of a century he has been connected in one capacity or another with many of the leading cases brought before the Hemphill County courts, and his high attainments have made it possible for him to be successful in the solving of numerous legal complexities. In him the law has a stanch and unwavering exponent; his devotion to his profession is evidenced in his placing his clients' interests before his own, while among his fellow practitioners he is looked up to not alone on account of his deep learning, but because of his strict observance of the unwritten ethics of his high calling.
In 1884 Mr. Hoover was married to Miss L. V. Winset, of Bedford County, Tennessee, daughter of A. M. and Mrs. Winset, both now deceased. Five children have been born to this union: Daniel B., born in Bedford County, Tennessee, in 1885, a graduate of Staunton Military Institute of Virginia and of the law department of the University of Texas, and now engaged in practice with his father at Canadian; Thomas L., born in Lipscomb, Texas, in 1890. a graduate of Canadian College, Bailey University at Waco. Texas, and the law department of the State University, a famous sprinter and all-around college athlete, and captain of the track team at Bailey; Edward, born in 1895, at Canadian, Texas, a graduate of Canadian College who entered the State University in 1913; and Louise, born in 1898, and Vashti born in 1901, both at Canadian, and both now students in Canadian College.
Mr. Hoover is a Democrat in his political views, but has not entered actively into the struggles of public life. He is interested fraternally in the Odd Fellows, being a charter member of Canadian Lodge No. 349. [A History of Texas and Texans, Vol. 4 by Francis White Johnson, 1914; transcribed by Thermun Kellar]
James Hoover was born July 29, 1814, in Rutherford County, Tenn., son of Christopher and Elizabeth (Lotspeech) Hoover. The father was born about 1776, in Germany, as also was the mother of our subject. James Hoover was the eleventh of thirteen children born to his parents. He worked on the farm until he was twenty-three years of age after which he engaged in farming for himself. He has lived in this and the two adjoining counties (Rutherford and Coffee) all his life. December 26, 1837, he was united in marriage to Susan Moore, a native of Virginia, born about 1820. This union resulted in the birth of nine children: Robert W., Clementine F., Calladona J., Martha A., Mary E., Elizabeth E., Susan O., Charles M. and Hugh L. The mother died about 1859 in the full fruition of the Christian's hope. In February, 1862, Mr. Hoover was married to M. J. Winn, of this county. This union resulted in the birth of eleven children: Alice D., Effie M., George C., Edward O., Harvey F., Cleopatra, James F., Benjamin, Nancy E., Albert A. and Anna M. Mr. Hoover was elected to the office of magistrate several years ago, but only served a short time. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and is politically a Democrat. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
GEORGE ELMER HORTON
Born Hamilton, Mich.; son of William Horton, Jr.; father was a merchant; English and German descent; educated at Hartford (Mich.) High School and Thornton Academy, Paw Paw, Mich.; graduated from latter May, 1902, University of Chattanooga M.D. April, 1908; began his career as a salesman and artist; married Daisy E.A. Selby 1891; member and medical examiner of M.W.A.; Republican; surgeon in charge of W.J. Oliver Construction Co. and Bailey & Dummary Construction Co.; stockholder in the Winchester Mining Co.; member of Christian church and elder in same at Wartrace, Tenn. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WILLIAM F. HORTON
A prominent farmer and stock raiser, residing in Pleasant Grove Township, (Coles Co IL) and an honorable representative of one of the pioneer families of the State, was born on the 31st of January, 1824, in Bradford County, Pa. His father, Isaac J. Horton, was a native of Maryland, born March 11, 1792. Early in life he left his Eastern home and removed to Pennsylvania where he engaged in farming, and where his marriage to Miss Kuthem Ferguson took place. In 1836 he resolved to emigrate to Illinois, and accordingly procured a team, and with his wife and young family started on the long overland journey.
The roads were rough, and in many places almost impassable, and there were vast stretches of lonely prairie to be traversed before their destination should be reached. The Black Hawk War had been successfully closed a few years previously, but fear still lurked in the hearts of many white settlers, and they frequently shivered with dread at the thought of Indian atrocities, which had been committed so recently on the Western frontier. But the little band arrived safely, worn by the wearisome journey, but in good health and prepared to encounter the perils and privations of pioneer life. They entered land in Coles County, but resided in Edgar County until the spring of 1837, when they settled in Pleasant Grove Township, where they passed the remainder of their lives.
To Isaac Horton and his wife a family of eight children were born, all of whom, with one exception, grew to maturity. Their record is as follows: Mary Ann, the wife of Jesse Beals; Amanda, the wife of Oliver Beals; Isaac died Aug. 23, 1850 while crossing the plains on his way to California; Richard and William (twins); Ruthem, the wife of Mr. Gray, a resident of Randolph County, N. C.; Miner, deceased, served as a soldier in the 5th Illinois Cavalry; Richard was a soldier in the 5th Illinois Cavalry, and died at Jefferson Barracks, Mo., in 1863. Isaac Horton was a Democrat in politics, but his wife belonged to a Whig family, and was so imbued with the doctrines of that party that all of her sons concurred with her political opinions, rather than those of their father. They were members of the Presbyterian church. The father died June 9, 1863, and his wife, who was born Aug. 10, 1795, died Aug. 1, 1859.
William Horton was reared on his father's farm, and although the advantages for education were limited in the pioneer days, be gained a practical education, which has served him through life. Feb. 1, 1849, he was married to Miss Emeline Dryden the daughter of William and Abigail (Henderson) Dryden. Mrs. Horton was born Sept. 15, 1821, in Bedford County, Tenn., and was ten years of age when she came with her parents to Coles County, in 1831.
After his marriage Mr. Horton entered land in Cumberland County, and was there engaged in farming twelve years. He then returned to Coles County, and settled on the homestead, where he has since resided. His farm contains over 200 acres of valuable, well improved land. Mr. and Mrs. Horton had a family of seven children, four of whom died in childhood. One daughter, the wife of Lewis McGinnis, died leaving two little girls. The names of those living are. Mary, who became the wife of Lewis McGinnis, her deceased sister's husband, and William D.
Mr. Horton was formerly a Republican. He is not actively interested in politics, and does not aspire to any political position. He is interested in the temperance cause, and is now a Prohibitionist. He possesses excellent business qualifications, and was one of the first engaged in the manufacture of molasses from sorghum in Coles County, carrying on an extensive business in that line. He is an Elder in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and is an earnest worker, both in the church and Sunday-school. [Portrait and Biographical Album of Coles County, Ill: 1887]
CLAUDE VENABLE HOUSTON
No family in Bedford county is descended from lines of more clearly traced and exceptional lineage than is that to which Claude Venable Houston belongs. Its progenitors were known in the South' two hundred years ago. Prom Switzerland in 1837 came a representative of one of its lines. He was Martin Pfeiffer, or Phifer, as the name has been spelled during all the later generations of the family. Martin Phifer (who had been born in the Swiss country on October 18, 1720), after landing in America lived for a time in Pennsylvania. Thereafter he removed to Mecklenburg county, North Carolina, where he settled on Cold Water Creek, four miles from the present site of Concord. There he purchased land, engaged in farming and lived until his decease on January 18, 1791. His wife was Margaret Blackwelder, who had been born in Holland on October 29, 1722, and who, it is said, had come to America on the same ship as that which carried Martin Phifer to these shores. She outlived him by a dozen years, her demise occurring on January 13, 1803. The monuments erected to their memory are still to be found, with their inscriptions, in the Phifer cemetery, three miles from Concord, North Carolina. Their son, Caleb Phifer, (born April 8, 1749, at Cold Water) was a planter on property given him by his father five miles west of Concord, and became prominent in public affairs. He was the first senator elected from his district in 1793 and was continued in office by re-election until 1801, inclusive, filling the office with honor and distinction. He lived until July 3, 1811, and there is a widely established tradition that he served as a Colonel in the Revolutionary army; the title Colonel is engraved on his memorial stone. His wife was Barbara Fullenwider, who was born at a location on the Yadkin river, in Rowan county, in 1754. She survived him several years and was placed beside him in the historic Phifer cemetery. It was their daughter, Sarah Phifer, in whose marriage the Phifer family was united with that of Houston. William Houston, of Mecklenburg county, North Carolina, was a practicing physician. After their marriage they settled on land which had been given to Sarah Phifer Houston by her father, and there they remained for a number of years. They were successful in a material way and acquired a fortune. In later life they removed to Bedford county, thus founding here one of the most prominent families of this vicinity, and here they spent their last days. Their son, Caleb Phifer Houston, who also came here in 1830, had married Miss Jane I. Worke. They settled on land, inherited from Caleb Phifer, in this region. Caleb Phifer Houston became prominent as Major of the State Militia. He was also the first commissioner of the Murfreesboro, Shelbyville and Nashville turnpike. In his family there were nine children: William C.; Robert W.; Caleb P. Jr.; James; Mary; Sallie; John S.; Joseph B. and Blanche. Of these, Caleb Junior and the two youngest are deceased. The second, Robert Worke Houston, has become well known as the owner and producer of fine breeds of stock, particularly of blooded horses.
Mrs. Robert W. Houston, nee Blanche Venable, is a native of Tennessee, in which state both she and her husband were educated. Mrs. Houston is a graduate of the Mary Sharp College of Winchester, Tennessee, and is a musician of rare accomplishment in both local and instrumental performance. She is widely known to the public in general, as well as to members of the musical profession. Blanche Venable Houston was a descendant of the French Huguenots. Her father was an ambassador to Central America under President Buchanan.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert W. Houston are the parents of two sons and one daughter. The elder son is Claude Venable Houston, who is the special subject of this genealogical and biographical account. The second son, Robert W., Jr., is a Nashville chemist and druggist, a recognized authority in subjects pertaining to his business and science. He with his wife, nee Jeanie Martin, makes his home in the capital city. Miss Corinne Houston, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert W. Houston, Sr., is a young lady who has inherited her mother's enviable musical gifts and who is also extensively known as an artist of great ability. Her last art teacher was a favorite pupil of the famous Beechwood artist. Carl Brenner, and Kenyon Cox, art critic, of New York, besides having studied under other good teachers. Her forte is portraiture and miniature work and she has taken several prizes and premiums at the fairs and exhibitions on all kinds of art work, such as place cards, souvenirs, etc.
Claude Venable Houston was born in Bedford county on December 31, 1866. His educational development was carried on during the formative years of his youth in the public schools of this community. He elected to follow the same vocation as that in which his father has secured such excellent results and in which he has made such an unusual success, both financially and otherwise. Similarly devoting all his time to the production of high-bred horses and other stock, Claude Venable Houston now shares his father's superior reputation as a stock-breeder. Like the elder Houston, he too is considered a most reliable authority on all points relating to this line of agricultural occupation. He held a commission as First Lieutenant, Co. C, National Guards, State of Tennessee, under Governor Buchanan, in 1891.
In social and fraternal affiliation, Claude V. Houston is a popular member of both the Knights of Pythias and the Fraternal Order of Maccabees. In church interest, although his father and other members of the family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, Mr. Houston is affiliated with the Presbyterian division of orthodox churches. He is a popular member of society wherever he goes and a characteristic representative of the distinguished family to which he belongs. [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
Syd Houston, mayor of Wartrace, was born January 18, 1850, in Bedford County, Tenn. His father, C. P. Houston, was a native of North Carolina, born in 1809, and immigrated to this State when about twenty years of age. Here he married Miss Jane Worke, who was also a native of North Carolina. To this union nine children were born, of whom our subject is the sixth. The parents of our subject are still living and his father is one of the leading farmers of the county. Our subject lived with his parents until he was sixteen years old, and then went to Shelbyville and clerked in the store of his brother, C. P. Houston, Jr. He attended school at this place for three years and then taught school for twenty months. He then read medicine and took a full course of lectures in Louisville, Ky. In April, 1878, he opened a drug store in Wartrace, where he still continues the business, and has a large and successful trade. In 1881 he married Miss Lilian Shealey, a native of Georgia. Our subject is a member of the K. of H., and is serving his first term as mayor of Wartrace. In politics he is a stanch Republican. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
WILLIAM CANNON HOUSTON
Hon. W.C. Houston, of the firm of Jones & Houston, attorneys at law, residing at Woodbury, Tenn., is a native of Bedford County, having been born there March 17, 1852. He is the son of William and Elizabeth Clay (Morgan) Houston. The former was a native of Iredell County, N.C., born in 1821, and came to Tennessee about 1835. He located in Bedford County, where he lived the rest of his days. He was a planter and a very successful business man. His death occurred in March, 1853. His wife was born in Rutherford County, March 10, 1822. She was first married to Newton Clark, of Bedford County, whom she survived; afterward married William Houston, and sometime after his death married Benjamin Fugett, of Cannon County, who is now deceased. The subject of this sketch received his education mostly at Woodbury. At the age of twenty-two he took charge of the Woodbury Press, and continued editor and proprietor two years. In 1876 he was chosen representative in the Legislature from Cannon and Coffee Counties. On his retirement from this position he devoted himself to his farm and to the study of the law until 1879, when he was admitted to the bar. In 1880 he was again elected to the Legislature, and in 1882 he was again re-elected. At the session which convened in 1883 he was appointed chairman of the committee on finance.
While occupying his seat in the Legislature he took a very active and prominent part in the settlement of the State debt question. From 1882 to 1884 he was a member of the State Democratic executive committee. In November, 1878, he was married to Miss Lura Kittrell, daughter of Maj. M.B. Kittrell, of Rutherford County. She is a native of Wilson County, and was born March 22, 1859. By their marriage they have two sons: Frank, born July 4, 1882, and William, born March 19, 1884. Mr. Houston has a half-sister, formerly Hattie Clark, now wife of Hon. William Barton; and also half-brother, Simpson Fugitt, both of whom are residents of Cannon County. The law firm of Jones & Houston was formed in 1886, and is universally considered the strongest in the county, both members being men of high honor and marked ability. Mr. Houston is an ardent and enthusiastic Democrat, and both himself and his wife are members of the Christian Church. [Source: Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887]
EPHREAM SHARP HUFFMAN
Live stock breeder and dairy farmer; born Bedford Co., Tenn., Nov. 21, 1867; Dutch descent; son of John Peter and Margaret Jane (Anthony) Huffman; father's occupation farming; paternal grandparents John and Polly (Cortner) Huffman; maternal grandparents Adam and Sallie (Sharp) Anthony; educated public schools and Winchester (Tenn.) Normal; graduated from University of Ky. in 1888; began his career as a farmer; married Jimmie Mullins in 1893. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
GEORGE C. HUFFMAN
George C. Huffman, farmer, born April 13, 1830, in Bedford County, Tenn., son of John and Mary (Cortner) Huffman, natives of North Carolina. The father was born in 1800 and moved to Tennessee in 1819. He was of German descent and one of the best farmers of the county. He died in 1877, and his wife preceded him in 1875. Our subject received the rudiments of his education in the county schools, and subsequently at Fairfield. He began teaching at the age of twenty-one and taught two sessions. He then bought a farm near where he is at present living. In 1858 he married Miss Eliza Phillips, a native of Bedford County, and the fruits of this union were Mary A.; Mattie J.; Sallie A.; Thomas L. and Alice, all living. The eldest, Mary A., is now Mrs. William Bennett, and they reside in California. He owns a large farm of 480 acres of as good land as lies in the county. It is in a most excellent state of cultivation and is known as Adams' Bottom. He has most excellent buildings, well located, and his house, lawn and premises are kept in a neat and tasteful manner. He is of the Cumberland Presbyterian faith and his wife is a member of that church. In politics he is a Democrat. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
T. L. HUFFMAN
Farmer; born Normandy, Tenn.; German descent; son of G.C. and Eliza J. (Phillips) Huffman; father farmer; educated Winchester, Tenn. and Lexington, Ky. and graduated 1886 and 1890; began farming in early life; married Emma Jarrell, 1900; member F. & A.M.; member Presbyterian church, U.S.A.; interested in farming and banking. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JAMES B. HUNTER
James B. Hunter, farmer and teacher, of Bedford County, Tenn., is a son of E. W. Hunter, who was born in North Carolina, and came to Tennessee with his father when a mere lad. He was married in 1880 to Susanna Wilson, and by her is the father of six children: Sarah M.; Robert P.; Emily; Margaret M.; Thomas H. M. and J. B. Mrs. Hunter's death occurred in 1848, and in 1849 Mr. Hunter wedded Margaret B. Jones, and to them were born three children, only one of whom is living. Mr. Hunter died in 1876 at his residence in Marshall County. James B. Hunter was born April 27, 1838, and was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He began teaching when quite young, and then clerked in a dry goods store until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he enlisted in Company F, Seventeenth Tennessee Infantry. He was Lieutenant of his company and acted about half the time as adjutant of the regiment. In 1862, when the army was reorganized; he enlisted in the Twenty-second Tennessee Cavalry and was captured near Montgomery, Ala. He was a participant in the battles of Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Franklin and numerous lesser engagements. At the close of the war he returned home and in 1867 was married to Mary C. Cooper, who bore him the following family of children: Ida L., Sarah E., Frank W. and Charles P. Mr. Hunter resides near Bell Buckle, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. [Goodspeed's History of Tennessee]
J. D. HUTTON
Banker; born Shelbyville, Tenn., May 11, 1857; Scotch-Irish descent; son of J.P. and Frances M. (Clark) Hutton; father's occupation farming; paternal grandparents John and Margaret (Davidson) Hutton; maternal grandparents Robert C. and Margaret (Harris) Clark; educated in the public schools of Shelbyville, Tenn.; began his career as a clerk in dry goods store, afterwards became a clothing merchant, later entered the banking business, in which he has continued for past 25 years; married Annie Violet Lane May 8, 1889; Democrat; member of Presbyterian church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
BACK -- HOME