WALLACE W. LACY
A life-long resident of Bedford county, and a fine representative of its native born citizens, Wallace W. Lacy, of Shelbyville, is widely known throughout this section of the state as a trustee of the county. A son of John Lacy, he was born May 15, 1847, on a farm lying seven miles south of Shelbyville, coming on the paternal side of French ancestry. His great-grandfather Lacy, a native of France, immigrated to America in colonial days and after coming to this country dropped from his name, which was originally de Lacy, the "de." He located in Virginia, and there lived the remainder of his life. Elijah Lacy, Mr. Lacy's grandfather, was born and reared in Petersburg, Virginia. In 1810, accompanied by his wife and children, he came across the country with teams to Tennessee, being several weeks on the way. Purchasing a tract of wild land in Bedford county, he settled on it, becoming one of the brave and sturdy pioneers of his day. He erected a log house in the wilderness, when deer, wolves, bears and the other beasts of the forest were plentiful, often terrorizing the few inhabitants of the locality. On his land, which was situated seven miles south of Shelbyville, he made valuable improvements, and the log house which he erected has since been ceiled and weather boarded, and is now in good condition. He married a Miss Eckolls, who was born in Virginia, of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and to them six sons and two daughters were born, as follows: Joseph, John, Moses, Samuel, Obadiah, Robert, Elizabeth, and Elsie.
John Lacy was born in 1805, in Petersburg, Virginia, and as a child of five years came with his parents to Bedford county, where he grew to man's estate. Possessing great mechanical ability, he early became familiar with the use of tools of all kinds, and as a young man learned the trade of a boat builder, and for several years was engaged in boat building in Montgomery, Alabama. Returning to Bedford county, Tennessee, in 1844, he married, and on the land, lying near the old homestead, which he purchased, he was subsequently engaged in farming until his death, in 1849, when but forty-four years old. He married Eliza Reagor, who was born in Bedford county, a daughter of Wayne and Rebecca (Boone) Reagor, pioneers of the county. Her Grandfather Reagor came with his parents to America from Germany, and when he was a small boy the Indians killed his father and mother, and kept him as a prisoner for a long time. After his release he married a widow, a Mrs. Brock, and lived at the headwaters of Plat creek. After the death of John Lacy, his widow married for her second husband R. S. Dwiggins, owner of a large plantation five and one-half miles south of Shelbyville, where she spent her last years. Wallace W. Lacy, the special subject of this sketch, was the only child by her union with John Lacy, but by her second marriage she reared three children, as follows: Louisa, James P., and Benjamin P. Dwiggins.
Wallace W. Lacy was educated in the rural schools of his district, and well remembers the time when there were no railways in the state, his step-father having to team his pork and other surplus farm products to Mobile, the nearest market, and on his return trip bring back cotton and other needed supplies. His mother used to card, spin and weave the homespun in which she clothed her family, in common with her neighbors being well versed in the domestic art. Soon after attaining his majority, Mr. Lacy purchased a farm lying three and one-half miles from Shelbyville, and for a time devoted his energies to the tilling' of the soil. Extending his operations, he began dealing in live stock, and this occupation, in connection with auctioneering, which he has followed for a number of years, has brought him in contact with people in all parts of the county, his acquaintance being very large.
Mr. Lacy married, May 30, 1867. Sue E. Bartlett. a daughter of L. B. and Matildie (Meadows) Bartlett, and of their union five children have been born and reared, namely: Wallace W., Jr.; Ida; Nora; Nellie and Louella. Wallace W., Jr., married Betty Bearden, and has two children, Wallace and Wayne. Ida is the wife of W. M. Shearin. [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
A. L. LANDIS
1823 - 05 June 1896
Major A. L. Landis who lent his native state of Tennessee distinguished services as a Confederate soldier and as a state senator and was also a forceful business man, was a native of Bedford county, Tennessee, born in 1823 to John and Mary (Lowe) Landis. He was reared on the farm and at the age of nineteen began teaching school. After continuing in that profession five years he entered upon a business career by becoming a merchant at Shelbyville, Tennessee, where he subsequently also engaged in the pork packing business several years as a member of the firm of Barrett & Landis. He was also the proprietor of the Sylvan Cotton Mills and owned and managed a farm. At the opening the war between the states, in 1861 he espoused the cause of the South and entered its service as a member of the Seventeenth Tennessee Regiment of the Confederate Army. For some time he was a: quartermaster with the rank of major and concluded his service, one of distinction, with the latter rank. With his regiment he participated in many of the hardest fought engagements of the war, including the battles of Perryville, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge and numerous other of the middle Tennessee and Atlanta campaigns. During the last three years of the war he was in charge of and responsible for the eastern division of the quartermasters department of the Confederacy and was credited with most effective service under most trying conditions, and when to secure provisions and supplies was an almost impossible task.
On his return to civil life Major Landis resumed his business activity and also became prominently identified with the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway Company. About 1850 Major Landis, Col. A. S. Colyar, Mr. Mike Bervus, and other public spirited citizens living between Nashville and Chattanooga, secured subscriptions and furnished money which made possible the construction of the Nashville and Chattanooga Railway, due largely to the active interest of the first two, and he greatly aided in the building and extension of its lines before and after the war. He was one of the directors of that company from its inception and served as general manager of the northwestern division of the road. In 1886 he removed to Nashville, where he established the Landis Banking Company and was thereafter engaged in the banking business until his death on June 5, 1896. Major Landis was also interested in establishing the ante-bellum state banking system in Tennessee, being a director of the Branch Bank at Shelbyville. In politics he was a stanch Democrat, and in 1880 he was elected state senator from the district composed of Bedford and Rutherford counties. He wedded Nancy Carter, who was a daughter of William and Keziah (Tannehill) Carter and who was a descendant of the old and highly respected Carter connection of Virginia. Major and Mrs. Landis were the parents of eleven children, one of whom is Abb Lowe Landis who is given individual is mentioned in this work. [Unknown source, added by Christine Walters.] **Miss Leona Landis, another child of A.L. Landis married Judge Floyd Estill 10 Nov 1885, probably in Bedford County. As of 1913 they had one child, Catherine Estill wife of Hon. Jesse Little of Chattanooga.
ABB LOWE LANDIS
Abb Lowe Landis was born in Bedford county, Tennessee, August 9, 1856, and traces the lines of his descent from the Landis family of North Carolina and from the Carter connection of Virginia. Next to the efficacy of good brains and blood in making up a man comes his environment-the circumstances surrounding the boy and the man - the influences that impell ambitious and worthy endeavors. In these directions Mr. Landis was well favored. His father was Maj. A. L. Landis, whose name also has entered worthily into the history of Tennessee as a soldier and legislator, and his mother was Nancy (Carter) Landis, a most estimable lady and the daughter of William and Keziah (Tannehill) Carter. The life and services of Major Landis are more specifically mentioned in his individual sketch appearing in this work.
The early years of Abb Lowe Landis leave no special mark for the note of the biographer. His first step in the march of life was into the University of Nashville, from which he was graduated in 1875. The following year he completed a post-graduate course at Vanderbilt University - Nashville, graduating in the spring of 1876, and he then entered upon the specific training for his profession by matriculating in the Cumberland University Law School, from which he was graduated in 1879. In the meantime, from 1876 to 1878, he was engaged in manufacturing, and in 1876 he also took up journalism, continuing identified with that profession until 1888. A Democrat in political sentiment, he actively participated in the "sky blue" political campaign of 1882, and during 1884 and 1885 as owner of the Nashville Banner he waged editorial war on the convict-lease system of Tennessee, which was followed by a legislature investigation resulting in the final abandonment of the system by the state. During his anti-lease system campaign he wrote the editorial, "The Tennessee Tewksbury," which was widely read, created intense interest in the subject of his contention, and which was an effective factor in bringing about the results so much to Tennessee's credit. This good work, however, was accomplished at a heavy cost to Mr. Landis in a financial way, for he thereby incurred the opposition of large moneyed interests that hitherto had profited by this system of cheap labor and he was finally compelled to sell the Nashville Banner, which he had taken when a losing property and had converted into a paying investment. From 1885 to 1889 he practiced law in Florida, and from 1889 to 1896 his attention was given to investments and insurance business. Since 1896 his whole activity has been in the direction of an actuary and counselor. As an actuary he has devoted his efforts to aiding provident societies of the United States and Canada to become established upon a sound financial basis. In this work he has served as actuary and counselor for more than one hundred of the largest and oldest beneficial orders in the United States and the Dominion of Canada and through public readjustment campaigns he has become well known to four millions of their members. Mr. Landis is the author of several books and pamphlets on insurance principles and practices.
On August 18, 1880, Mr. Landis was happily married to Miss Mary Alma Word, (daughter of Cutbert Word) to whom were born Edwin Carter Landis (1884, died 1911) and Abbie Lucile Landis (1888).
Abb Landis was born in Bedford county, Tennessee, August 9, 1856, and his parents were Major A. L. and Nancy (Carter) Landis, the latter a representative of one of the most prominent families of Virginia. Major Landis was also a native of Bedford county and won his title by gallant service in defense of the Confederacy during the Civil war. He was an exceptionally capable business man and financier, while he also was an influential factor in legislative affairs, and his labors contributed materially to the upbuilding and development of Nashville and also of the state, which numbered him among its foremost citizens. Abb Landis was a diligent and earnest student and after finishing his public school training he entered the University of Nashville, completing his course in 1875, while in the following year he was graduated from Vanderbilt University. He then became a student in the law school of Cumberland University and won his degree in 1879. In the meantime he had become interested in manufacturing and journalism and during 1884 and 1885 owned and operated the Nashville Banner, at which time he waged a bitter warfare upon the convict-lease system. He won his cause but the victory was expensive, resulting in the loss of his paper. After selling the Banner he went to Florida, where he took up the practice of law, having charge of the legal business of a New England company which owned three hundred thousand acres of land in that state. Mr. Landis became recognized as an authority on land titles, building up a large clientele, and he was also called to public office, being elected city prosecutor upon a reform ticket, and he proceeded to clean up the town.
This was not his first connection with political affairs, however, for in 1876 he had been one of the democratic spellbinders for the Tilden-Hendricks ticket. Mr. Landis returned to the north and in 1888 he turned his attention to the purchase of municipal bonds and other securities. While engaged in that business he became deeply interested in life insurance and he devoted much study to that subject, specializing in its legal and actuarial phases. This led to his becoming interested in the fraternal societies of America and in 1892 he was called into consultation in the drafting of the first uniform bill by the National Fraternal Congress. He has aided in drafting legislation for the supervision and regulation of fraternal beneficiary societies, and bills with which he has been personally identified have been incorporated [p.284] into the laws of forty-four states. The field of his greatest activity has undoubtedly been in the rendering of direct service to individual fraternal beneficiary societies and he has been engaged in many readjustments for the largest and oldest organizations of this character in the United States and Canada, probably doing more work of this nature than all other actuaries combined. He has acted as counselor in many important readjustment cases and is now retained as consulting actuary by seventy-two fraternal beneficiary societies, while he has been employed as an actuary by two hundred and thirty-four American and Canadian associations. He has a highly specialized knowledge of the work in which he is engaged and his success in the actuarial and legal departments of insurance has been the most pronounced of any man of the present century. As counselor, amicus curiae, for the National Fraternal Congress, he recently won a notable case in the supreme court of Wisconsin. Mr. Landis has been a large contributor to fraternal society literature and from 1900 until 1904 edited the Criterion, an extremely able insurance journal.
In the latter year this publication was sold to the Fraternal Monitor, for which he was editorial writer until the increasingly large demands made upon his time by his other business interests obliged him to discontinue the work. The products of his pen have made him widely known and his books have had a large circulation. He is the author of the following publications: Friendly Societies and Fraternal Orders; Life Insurance Premiums; Analyses of Fraternal Beneficiary Societies; Life Insurance; National Fraternal Congress and Other Tables; "Fraternal Societies Defined; Digest of State Laws Regulating Fraternal Beneficiary Societies, which was published in 1922, in addition to many pamphlets and papers. His work is of the highest quality and he is regarded as an authority on matters pertaining to fraternal insurance. Mr. Landis has been admitted to practice in the United States supreme court and in the supreme courts of the District of Columbia, Florida, Tennessee, Wisconsin and other states. He has established offices in Nashville and in Washington and also maintains an office in Chicago. He is an indefatigable worker, frequently laboring until three or four o'clock in the morning, and in September, 1920, took his first vacation in forty years. He is fond of chess and checkers and his two favorite forms of diversion are games of skill and mechanical inventions. He has creative genius of a high order, is the inventor of the multiplying device in use on the Burroughs adding machine, and has recently perfected a combined nut and pipe wrench.
On the 18th of August, 1880, Mr. Landis was united in marriage to Miss Mary Alma Word, a daughter of Captain Cuthbert and Eliza A. (Phillips) Word, natives of Bedford county, Tennessee. Her father was a veteran of the Mexican war and in the Civil war he defended the Union cause, serving with the rank of captain in both conflicts. Mr. and Mrs. Landis have had two children but lost their son, Edwin Carter Landis, who was born in 1884 and died in 1911, when twenty-seven years of age. He married Ellen Glasgow and they had one child, Mary McPheeters. Abbie Lucile, the daughter, is now the wife of Henry A. Bradshaw, a prominent attorney of Florence, Alabama. Mr. Landis reserves the right of voting according to the dictates of his judgment. In religious faith he is a Presbyterian. He is identified with the Knights of Pythias, the Royal Arcanum, the National Union, the Knights of the Maccabees and several other fraternal organizations and is a fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society, of the Fraternal Actuarial Association and of the American Statistical Association. He is a member of the Southern Society, the Order of Washington and the Order of Lafayette, all of Washington, D. C., and also of the Order of Runnymede, the Noelton Country Club and the Nashville Chamber of Commerce. He has taken cognizance of his opportunities, utilizing them to the best advantage, and has focused his energies in directions where fruition is certain. His is the record of an honorable, upright life-the record of a strong mentality, stable in purpose, quick in perception, energetic and determined in action.[Source: Tennessee the Volunteer State, Vol 4]
ABB LOWE LANDIS
Actuary and counselor; born Bedford County, Tenn., August 9, 1856; son of Absalom L. and Nancy (Carter) Landis; descended from the Landis family of North Carolina and the Carters of Virginia; graduated University of Nashville 1875, Vanderbilt University 1876, Lebanon Law School 1879; he engaged in manufacturing from 1876 to 1878, law and journalism from 1879 to 1888, investments and insurance 1889 to 1896; actuary and counselor since 1896; actively participated in the Sky Blue political campaign of 1882; as owner of the Nashville Banner waged editorial war on the convict lease system 1884-1885, which was followed by a legislative investigation, and which led to its final abandonment; author of the editorial "The Tennessee Tewksberry;" by his anti-lease system campaign he incurred the opposition of large moneyed interests and was compelled to sell the Banner, which he had taken when a losing property and turned to paying investment; practiced law in Florida in 1885-1889; as an actuary he has devoted himself to the effort of placing the provident societies in the United States and Canada upon a sound financial basis; in this work he has been actuary and counselor for seventy of the largest and oldest beneficial societies in the United States and the Dominion of Canada, and through public readjustment campaigns he has become known to four million of their members; he is author of several books and numerous pamphlets; married Mary Alma Word August 18, 1880. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
GEORGE L. LANDIS
George L. Landis, M. D., was born in Bedford County March 31, 1847, son of Bryant and Margaret (Ogilvie) Landis. His early days were spent in laboring on his father's farm and in attending the common schools. October 5, 1865, he began the study of medicine with his brother, Dr. J. A. Landis, of Kentucky, and in September, 1869, he entered the Medical University of Nashville, Tenn. He practiced a short time and continued to read under Dr. W. F. Clary, and in the fall of 1870 again entered the University of Nashville, and graduated in March of the following year. Since that time he has practiced in Marshall and Bedford Counties, and since May 7, 1883, has been a resident of Unionville, and is one of the leading physicians of the place. He attended the New York Polyclinic of Medicine and Surgery in the fall of 1885. He was married, November 4, 1875, to Mrs. Carrie Locke, and by her became the father of five children, two of whom are dead. Those living are Alice, Florence and Robbie. Since eleven years of age the Doctor has been a church member, and is now a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In politics he is a Democrat.[The Goodspeed History of Bedford County TN 1886]
JOHN T. LANDIS
Banker and broker; born Shelbyville, Bedford County, Tenn., August 4, 1866; Swiss-English descent; son of Absalom L. and Nancy (Carter) Landis; father banker, farmer and manufacturer; paternal grandparents John and Mary (Lowe) Landis; maternal grandparents William and Keziah (Tannehill) Carter; educated by private tutor; began his business career in office of manufacturing establishment in 1884; in 1886 entered banking and brokerage business; interested in early development of the telephone in Tennessee, Kentucky Mississippi and Louisiana; active in inducing investment of capital from East and North in Southern enterprises; pioneer in development of automobile business in Tennessee and pioneer advocate of good roads movement and restoration of the old Louisville and Nashville turnpike; now engaged in banking and brokerage, real estate and automobile business; married Melinda Bacon Boone December 17, 1890; member of Hermitage Club, Golf and Country Club, Cumberland Park Club, Board of Trade and Nashville Automobile Club of Nashville; Automobile Club of America, New York. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
HENRY H. LANDESS
Henry L. Landess is a native of Tennessee, born July 22, 1818. He resided in Lincoln County, Tenn., until 1851, when he moved to Bedford County. He traveled considerably in Missouri and Arkansas in early life, being absent about six years. Shortly after moving to Bedford County he located on his present farm, consisting of 212 acres of fertile land, furnished with a neat cottage. December 3, 1850, he was married to Lucinda S. Hix, who was born October 6, 1832, and died July 8, 1852, leaving one child - Henry D., born in 1851 and died July 16, 1852. May 24, 1853, Mr. Landess wedded Susan C. Campbell, daughter of Alfred and Sallie (Reeves) Campbell. Mrs. Landess was born May 10, 1835, and has borne her husband the following children: Sarah M., born in 1854; Alfred G., born in 1856; George W., born in 1860; Mary F., born in 1862; Grace C., born in 1865; William G., born in 1867; Mittie M., born in 1872, and Henry H. born in 1875. Mr. Landess is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are church members. His parents, Henry and Grace (Thompson) Landess, were born in North Carolina and Kentucky in 1777 and 1778, respectively. The father moved to Kentucky in 1789, and there married our subject's mother in 1798, and became the father of thirteen children. They came to Tennessee at an early period, and died in Lincoln County in 1863 and 1801, respectively.[The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
CHARLES W. LEFTWICH
Charles W. Leftwich, although not long a resident of Bedford County, is one of the enterprising dry goods merchants of Shelbyville. He was born in Moore County, Tenn., April 16, 1850. His father, Littleberry Leftwich, was born in this State. He has been a farmer and merchant most of his lifetime, and is now conducting a mercantile trade for Charles W. at Talley, Marshall Co., Tenn. The mother died in 1854. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm. He received his education mainly in Mulberry Academy of Lincoln County, Tenn. He then taught school about four years. In 1879 he engaged in merchandising in Moore County, Tenn., and continued successfully until the spring of 1885, when he established his business at Talley, which is now conducted by his father. In December, 1885, he began his business here and has continued successfully ever since, with a stock of $10,000 or $12,000 of dry goods and notions, boot and shoes, hats and caps, clothing, etc. He was married, in 1875, to Miss Maggie Morring, of Alabama. This union has been blessed in the birth of five children, four of whom are now living, viz.: Clayton W., Thomas E., Nina P. and Littleberry. Mr. Leftwich and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Politically he has always been a Democrat.[The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
JAMES M. LENTZ
James M. Lentz was born in Bedford County February 15, 1828. His father, Benjamin Lentz, was born in 1800 in North Carolina, and immigrated to Tennessee in 1818, settling five and a half miles southwest of Shelbyville, and lived there to the date of his death, which occurred in 1878. Our subject's mother, Penelope (Bussy) Lentz, was born about 1808, and is still living. Our subject grew to manhood on the farm and received his education in the common district schools. At the age of twenty-one he went to New Orleans, and engaged in the lumber business, remaining there about six or seven years. He then engaged in the carpenter's trade, and continued this business about six or seven years, after which he began farming, and has successfully continued this occupation up to the present time. He was married, February 14, 1861, (Bedford Records 19 Feb 1861) to Elizabeth Lawell, a native of Tennessee, born April 15, 1837, and to them were born nine children: John H., Samuel J., Robert M., Ethan A., Babe, Mary L. A., Necy, Eddie E., and one died unnamed. Mr. Lentz is politically a Democrat. He is a self-made man, having accumulated his wealth by his own unaided efforts.[Goodspeed History of Tennessee]
Dr. Thomas Lipscomb, one of Bedford County's oldest and best citizens, was born in Louisa County, Va., July 22, 1808, to the marriage of William Lipscomb and Ann Day Cook, natives of Spottsylvania and Louisa Counties, Va., respectively. The father was killed by a falling tree in January, 1829, having been a farmer. The mother attained the ripe age of ninety years, and her old age was marked with great vitality. With her own hands she knit over 100 pairs of socks for the Confederate soldiers after she had passed eighty years of age. She lived nearly forty years a widow. The subject of this sketch was reared with his parents on a farm, and received a common school education. At the age of twenty-one he went to Winchester, Tenn., and began the study of medicine. Thence he attended the Medical University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, whither he proceeded and returned the most of the way on horseback. After one course of lectures he returned to Franklin County, Tenn., where his parents had moved in 1826. In 1831 he came to Shelbyville, where he has spent a lifetime in the practice of medicine, surgery and obstetrics, and has attained eminence in his profession. He has been president of the Medical Society of Tennessee, of the Bedford County Medical Society and of the Female Institute at Shelbyville. Since entering into the practice of his profession the honorary title of M. D. has been conferred upon him by the University of Louisville and by the University of Tennessee. He has been successful financially. Since 1855 he has carried on farming. He is the president and largest stockholder of the Victor Mills, of Shelbyville, and was the president of the Branch Bank of Tennessee at Shelbyville at the opening of the war. The advancement of the schools and churches is due greatly to him. For two years he held the Shelbyville post office, the emoluments of which he allowed to the widow of a former postmaster. He is not now actively engaged in the practice, but at the age of seventy-three he successfully performed the difficult ovariotomy operation for the first time in his life. He was married, May 22, 1832, to Rebecca Stevenson, who bore him ten children, all of whom were raised. This wife died December 6, 1880, and he then wedded, October 26, 1882, Miss Mary A. Cowan. Dr. Lipscomb and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church, as was his first wife. Politically he is a Democrat, and wields large influence as a worthy citizen of the county. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
JAMES A. LOYD
The family of which James A. Loyd is a representative is one that has long been identified in one way or another with the history and fortunes of the state of Tennessee, six generations having been residents of the state thus far. Many of the name have filled high places in the public affairs of the state, and all have lived lives of usefulness in their respective communities. James A. Loyd, who is the immediate subject of this necessarily brief family review has thus far in his career lived well up to the family traditions in the way of public service and has taken his place as justice of the peace, and clerk of the circuit court, resigning the latter office during his third term to succeed his honored father as clerk and master in chancery upon the death of that gentleman. He is now discharging the duties of that office in the same efficient manner that has characterized all his business activities thus far in life.
The Loyd family is one most interesting to contemplate, but lack of space makes it impossible to more than mention the forefathers of the subject in passing. James A. Loyd is the son of Wilson G. Loyd, and was born in Archer, Marshall county, Tennessee, on March 30, 1868. His father was also born in Marshall county, his birth date being April 26, 1838 and he was the son of Alexander Loyd and the grandson of Ephraim Loyd.
Ephraim Loyd was the first of the name to settle in Tennessee, and he came here in the early part of the nineteenth century, coming from Virginia. He made his first location in the county, in the part that is now included as a part of Marshall county. He was a farmer and he was twice married. His first wife was a Miss Howell, of an old Tennessee family, and seven children were born of their union. He later in life married Miss Porter, and they reared one child. Alexander Loyd was a son of the first marriage, and he was born in Marshall county in 1813, and died in 1840. He was educated in Marshall county and learned the work of surveying, which he followed all his active business life, which was not long. He was absent in Texas with a surveying party, laying out that state, when his death occurred. He had married young, being not more than twenty-two when he was united in marriage with Miss Louisa Blackwell, of Marshall county, where she was born and reared, and she bore him two sons,-Elijah A. and Wilson G., the latter being the father of the subject. Elijah, it may be said, went to California in early life, and there established a permanent home.
Wilson G. Loyd was taken to Louisiana at the age of nine, his mother having died when he was an infant, and his father when he was about two years old. Until he reached that age he had been kept at Shelbyville, and on going to Louisiana he made his home with his uncle, until the outbreak of the Civil war. He was then twenty-three years of age. He enlisted in the Second Louisiana Regiment, taking the rank of sergeant, and saw much service throughout the war. He was wounded and captured at the Battle of Gettysburg, and at the time of Lee's surrender was returned to the Second Louisiana from the Union prison. After he was paroled in May, 1865, he came to Marshall county, where he was born and passed his earlier years, and here he met and married Victoria C. Meadows, of whom further mention will be made later. He spent two years in Louisiana after his marriage, then returned to Lewisburg. He engaged in the mercantile business at Archer, Tennessee, and also taught school in that place. In 1878 he was elected to the office of circuit clerk of Marshall county, and in that office he served for eight successive years, after which he was appointed to the post of assistant cashier of the Bank of Lewisburg, and served in that position a matter of two years. In 1888 he was appointed clerk and master in chancery by Chancellor Walter S. Bearden, and he continued in that office without interruption until his death, which took place in 1909.
Wilson G. Loyd was a Democrat, and a loyal and stanch supporter of the party all his days. He was president of the State Association of Confederate Veterans. He was long a member of the Christian church and an elder in that body, his wife also having membership in the same church. In public school matters in the county he was long regarded as a leader, and his whole life was one that had the most concerted regard for the betterment of the state in all its departments. On November 22, 1865, Mr. Loyd married Victoria C. Meadows, born in Marshall county, March 2, 1847, where she still resides. They became the parents of a goodly family of thirteen children, of whom it is especially worthy of mention that all have lived to reach years of usefulness and are now occupying various places of more or less importance in their numerous communities. James A. Loyd was the second born of this large family. The public schools of Lewisburg gave to James A. Loyd his early schooling, and upon finishing with the high school in this place he entered Woodbury Academy, later attending Winchester Normal. He then taught school for three years and in 1893 was appointed deputy internal revenue collector under the Cleveland administration, his division embracing nine counties in middle Tennessee. He held that office until 1697, and from then until 1900 he was engaged in the insurance business at Lewisburg where he also served as justice of the peace. In 1900 he was appointed clerk of the circuit court by Judge W. C. Houston, and was twice re-elected to the office, resigning in the year 1909 to succeed his father in the office of clerk and master of the chancery court, receiving the appointment at the hands of Chancellor Walter S. Bearden, who had also appointed his father to the office in preceding years.
In addition to the duties of his office, which he has continued to discharge with the utmost fidelity, he has also carried on an insurance business under the name of J. A. Loyd & Company, which has been successful and prosperous and a source of considerable satisfaction to Mr. Loyd.
On August 27, 1890, Mr. Loyd was married to Miss Mary K. Adams, the daughter of Robert L. Adams, of Lewisburg, who served twenty-four years as clerk of the county court and clerk and master, being succeeded in the office by Wilson G. Loyd, so that the office of clerk and master has been held almost continuously in this family since the war period. Mr. and Mrs. Loyd have five children, named as follows: Robert G.; Maisy; William H.; Elizabeth and James A. Jr. Mr. Loyd is a Democrat, true to his family and its traditions and has been chairman of the Democratic Congressional Committee for eight years. With his wife, he is a member of the Christian church. [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
Jacob Lynn, farmer, was born in Warren County, Tenn., December 23, 1827, son of Andrew J. and Isabella (Hawes) Lynn, and of English extraction. The father of our subject was born in Warren County, Tenn., in 1805, and the mother in Virginia about 1808. They were married about the year 1826, and reared a family of seven children. The father died in Coffee County, Tenn., February 13, 1850, and the mother died in Arkansas in 1865. Jacob Lynn, Sr., the grandfather of our subject, and Benjamin Stinnett, the grandfather of the last Mrs. Lynn, the wife of our subject, were both in the war of 1812, and participated in the battle of New Orleans. Our subject received a practical education in the common schools, and at the age of twenty-one he began business for himself. During the civil war he enlisted in the Twenty-third Tennessee Regiment Infantry, and served eighteen months, participating in the battle of Shiloh, and was discharged at Tupelo, Miss., on account of his age. He has been married four times. The first marriage occurred in 1847 to Miss Sarah Stroud, of Coffee County, Tenn., and resulted in the birth of one son, John A., who was a. soldier in the late war. Our subject was married the second time, October 13, 1859, to Mrs. Mary E. L. Giles, daughter of Noble L. Majors. Of this alliance there were two children, one son and one daughter, named, respectively, Joseph T. and Louise Jane. Mrs. Lynn was born July 4, 1820, and died in the same county October 15, 1876. Mr. Lynn was married the third time, September 14, 1877, to Mrs. Mary A. Moses, a native of Tennessee, born March 2, 1882, and died January 26, 1884. His last marriage occurred April 23, 1885, in Bedford County, Tenn., to Miss Rebecca Hill, daughter of Jacob Hill. This lady was born November 24, 1841. Mr. Lynn is a Democrat, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church. [Goodspeed's History of Tennessee]
BACK -- HOME