Levi Madison's birth occurred July 1, 1822, in the State of Kentucky. His parents James and Minnie (Loyd) Madison, were also born in Kentucky, and died when our subject was quite young. He made his home with Samuel Thompson until he was fourteen years old and in 1889 went to Texas, where he lived one year and then returned. He worked at the blacksmith's trade in Shelbyville four years and then farmed one year, and then continued his trade seven years. In 1852, he purchased the Ransom Stephens farm, where he lived up to 1883. He then moved to his present place of residence. William D. W. is a son born to his union with Nancy J. Collier, which took place March 22, 1849. She was born in Bedford County, and is a daughter of William and Polly Collier. Our subject has accumulated a comfortable competency by his own unaided efforts, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a Republican, and up to the date of the late war was an old-line Whig. [The Goodspeed History of Bedford County TN, 1886]
JOHN F. MARION
John F. Marion applied for Revolutionary pension while living in Bedford County Tennessee in 1832. He was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania October 14, 1760. While living in Mecklenburg County North Carolina, he enlisted in June, 1779, in Captain William Alexander's and Captain Samuel Martin's company, Colonel William Polk's North Carolina regiment. During the battle of Eutaw Springs his horse was killed under him and he was wounded in his right leg. After ten months' service he re-enlisted in Captain James Simons company, Colonel Wade Hamptons regiment of light horse in which he served eighteen months. After the War he moved to the Moravian settlement in North Carolina where he enlisted in a regiment of North Carolina troops raised for the protection of white settlers in what was then called the Cumberland settlement, now Middle Tennessee. He moved to Williamson County Tennessee, and later to Bedford County Tennessee, where he died. [Some Tennessee Heros of the Revolution Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1975]
JAMES M. MARTIN
James M. Martin is a son of Henry and Maria (Tankersley) Martin. Henry Martin was born in North Carolina in 1802, and when young came to Tennessee and located in Bedford County, where he married Miss Tankersley, born in 1808. They were the parents of eighteen children, seven of whom are living. The mother was a member of the Christian Church, as was also the father until the last few years of his life, when he became a Universalist. He held the position of Constable six years and that of Deputy Sheriff two years. During the late war he supported the Confederacy although too old to take an active part. The mother died in 1842 and two years later Mr. Martin married Mrs. Delilah Lamb, by whom he had six children. His death occurred in 1864. James M. was born September 6, 1822, in Williamson County, and secured a practical education. At the age of twenty he began working by the month and in 1845 married Nancy McGee, who was born February 21, 1826, in North Carolina, and died in 1856, having borne one child who died. In 1857 Mr. Martin took for his second wife Mary Stanfield, and seven children blessed their union. Husband and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and he is a stanch Democrat in politics and for some eight years has held the position of magistrate and has been constable nearly four years. He owns 260 acres of land and is known to be a thrifty farmer and an honest man. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN, 1886]
Gabriel Maupin is a native Virginian, born September 7, 1810, and son of Blan and Sallie (Brown) Maupin, who were born in the "Old Dominion" in 1770 and 1772, respectively. They were married about 1790, and became the parents of five sons and five daughters, our subject being the only one living. The family came to Tennessee about 1811, and here the father died in 1829 and the mother in 1852. Our subject has followed farming from boyhood, and in early life was engaged in stock trading. He owns a farm of 500 acres on Duck River, also some valuable property near Shelbyville. His business career has made him well known throughout the county, and he is considered one of its worthy citizens. He was married, September 1, 1844, to Miss Sallie Hickerson, who was born January 2, 1820, daughter of Joseph and Nancy (Russeau) Hickerson. Mrs. Maupin died July 27, 1884, having borne these children: Nancy R., born September 5, 1846; Blan, born November 22, 1847, and died September 7, 1884; Sarah Ann, born March 10, 1849; Joseph H., born August 21, 1851; Gabriel. born September 12, 1853, and died April 15, 1879; Thomas H., born December 18, 1855; Marietta, born December 23, 1858, and Thornton P., born December 23, 1861. Mr. Maupin is a member of the Methodist Church, and is a life-long Democrat. [unknown source, added by Christine Walters]
T. S. MAYES
James Mayes was born about 1788 in Georgia and came to Tennessee in 1816. He married Polly Sparks, who was a native of Georgia, and our subject was born to them December 16, 1814. He resided on his parents' farm until twenty-one years of age and then began farming on his own responsibility, and has continued very successfully up to the present date. He served the people of his district in the capacity of constable for six years, being first elected in 1840, and in 1852 was elected to the same office for two years. Since that time he has farmed exclusively and has accumulated a good property through his own exertions. Anna Catner became his wife, January 4, 1848, and this union has resulted in ten children, seven of whom are living: Mary E. (Mrs. J. D. Blackwell); Eliza J. (Mrs. W. R. Woodard); William W.; John A.; Martha A. (Mrs. J. A. Woodard); James L. and Harriett F. Mr. Mayes is a man of great decision of character and is strictly honest and exact in his business transactions. He and Mrs. Mayes are members of the Christian Church and he supports the Democratic party. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
JIM NANCE McCORD
A Representative from Tennessee; born in Unionville, Bedford County, Tenn., March 17, 1879; attended the public schools and also had private instructors; employed as a clerk in a hardware store in 1894; engaged in selling books and stationery at Lewisburg, Tenn., 1897-1900; traveling salesman 1900-1910; editor and publisher of the Marshall Gazette, Lewisburg, Tenn., 1910; mayor of Lewisburg, Tenn., 1916-1942; auctioneer 1920-1943; member of the Marshall County Court 1915-1942; elected as a Democrat to the Seventy-eighth Congress (January 3, 1943-January 3, 1945); was not a candidate for re-nomination in 1944; elected Governor of Tennessee in 1944; reelected in 1946 for the term ending in January 1949; resumed the publishing business; member of State constitutional convention in 1953; Commissioner of Conservation, State of Tennessee, 1953-1958; delegate at large to the National Democratic Conventions in 1940 and 1956; maintained his interest in journalism; died in Nashville, Tenn., September 2, 1968; interment in Lone Oak Cemetery, Lewisburg, Tenn. [Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-2005; By United States Congress]
J. N. McCORD
Now editor and publisher of the Marshall Gazette, one of the most influential newspaper organs in Marshall county, Mr. McCord began his career as a clerk and traveling salesman, educated himself by carrying with him on the train and elsewhere the books required for a better equipment and learning, and since entering the field of journalism, has become recognized as an able writer, a successful business manager, and a man of wide influence throughout his community.
J. N. McCord was born at Unionville, Bedford county, Tennessee, March 17, 1879, and represents an old and honored family of this state. His father was Thomas N. McCord, who was born in Marshall county in 1835, and died in 1889. The maiden name of his mother was Iva Steele, who was born in Bedford county in 1842/and is still living in that county. The parents were married in Bedford county in 1876, and there were seven children, J. N. and another being twins, and the second in order of birth. Three are now living. The founder of the McCord family in this section of Tennessee was Charles McCord, a native of North Carolina, who at an early date came into Tennessee and located in Williamson county, where he spent the remainder of his life as a farmer and substantial citizen. His son, the grandfather was Allan N. McCord, who was born in Williamson county, and after the formation of Marshall county, which occurred in 1835, he became a resident of Beasley of the latter county.
Thomas N. McCord, the father, was reared in Marshall county, and was for a number of years an active farmer, and for a long time served, as a trustee of Bedford county. During the war he enlisted in the Confederate army, under General N. B. Forrest, and was with that gallant cavalryman until the entrance to Memphis, at which engagement he lost a leg and was taken prisoner. Owing to his 'disability for service he was released from the Federal prison, and then returned to Bedford county, which was his home until his death. He was three times married. The maiden name of his first wife was Tabitha Hight, and their two children were Dr. W. A. McCord, now deceased, and Mrs. Alice Ezelle. After the death of his first wife, McCord married a widow, Mrs. Hoskins, and their two children were Charles T. of New Orleans, and Mary, a teacher in San Antonio, Texas. By his marriage to Iva Steele, Mr. McCord was the father of seven children, whose names follow: Price Steele McCord, deceased; Ed Cooper, the twin brother of J. N. McCord, also deceased; James Nance, whose name heads this sketch; Iva, deceased; Annie; Fannie, deceased; and Thomas N., Jr., of Fort Worth, Texas. The father was a Democrat in politics, and was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church.
Mr. J. N. McCord after attending the common schools of his native locality, at the age of eighteen became connected with a mercantile firm in Lewisburg, with whom he spent two years, and then went upon the road as a traveling salesman, an occupation which he followed for some years. After retiring from the road, in 1910, Mr. McCord bought a half interest in the Marshall Gazette, and in January, 1913, purchased the entire plant, of which he is now sole owner, and also active editor of its-news and editorial columns. The policy of the Gazette as to political affairs is in line with Independent Democracy, and the paper is issued twice a week.
In 1904 Mr. McCord married Miss Vera Kercheval, a daughter of W. K. Kercheval, who was formerly editor of the Gazette. In politics, like his paper, Mr. McCord is an Independent Democrat, and he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church. [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
DR. THOMAS CHAPMAN McCRORY
Dr. Thomas Chapman McCrory, an eminent physician, was born in Bedford County, November 13, 1834, and is the son of John and Annie (Wilson) McCrory. He is of Scotch-Irish extraction. The father was born in Mecklenburg County, N. C., February 5, 1788, and the mother in Georgia, October 11, 1791. They were married in Marshall County, Tenn., and were the parents of twelve children. The father died October 13, 1874, and the mother January 22, 1864. Our subject had the advantage of a good common school education, and afterward read medicine with Dr. Smith Bowlin. He then attended the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati and completed his studies, receiving his diploma from the Medical University at Nashville, from which institution he graduated in 1867. He enlisted in Company D, Second Tennessee Regiment, Confederate States Army, and served as Lieutenant of the regiment under Col. (now Gov.) Bate. Dr. McCrory was made assistant surgeon, but preferred a more active part and took his place in the regiment. He participated in the battle of the first Manassas, Murfreesboro, Shiloh, Chickamauga and the various battles between Chattanooga and Atlanta. He was captured during Hood's advance in Tennessee, and taken a prisoner to Fort Delaware, where he remained until Lee's surrender. Since the war he has followed his chosen profession, and has at this time a very large and lucrative practice. February 28, 1860, he wedded Miss Sallie J. Knott, daughter of Iverson Knott. This union resulted in the birth of eight children only three of whom are living: Thomas F., Eugene and Alva. The Doctor is a Democrat and a Mason. Mrs. McCrory is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]\
JOHN A. McGILL
John A. McGill is the oldest child born to William and Mary (Gardner) McGill. (For particulars of parents see sketch of William McGill). Our subject was born November 1, 1841, and had the advantage of a practical education in the common schools. When the war broke out he enlisted in the Confederate Army in the Seventeenth Tennessee, Regiment under Col. Newman, and participated in most of the battles of the war. During the battle at Drury's Bluff he was wounded, and this disabled him for service. He was given a furlough and went to Alabama, where he remained one year. He then came back to Tennessee, and in 1867 was married to Miss Mary E. Terry. To this union one child was born, viz.: Ida I., born January 23, 1870. Mr. McGill and family are consistent members of the Christian Church, and are one of the leading families of the county. [Goodspeed History of Tennessee]
Thomas B. McGill, son of W. McGill, whose sketch appears in this work, was born December 15, 1848, in Bedford County. He was reared on a farm and remained with his parents to the age of eighteen. He then engaged as a clerk in a dry goods store in Shelbyville till 1875. He then went to Nashville and clerked in a wholesale dry goods store for about a year. He then traveled in Kentucky for the Nashville Nursery one year. He then returned to Shelbyville and dealt in live-stock, etc., till 1881, when he established a mercantile trade in the Twenty-third District and secured the establishment of the post office at Singleton, and held the office in connection with his store three years. In September, 1883, he sold out and farmed for one year. In December, 1885, in connection with James B. Green, he opened the grocery and provision trade in Shelbyville, and the firm does a thriving business. He was married, June 4, 1884, to Miss Kittie Elliott, the result of this union being one son, Robert S. Mr. McGill is a member of the Christian Church, and his wife is a member of Methodist Episcopal Church South. Politically he is a Democrat. He is one of the enterprising and respected citizens of Shelbyville. [Goodspeed History of Tennessee]
William McGill, a prominent farmer and stock raiser of Bedford County, was born May 14, 1820. He is the son of James and Sallie (Parker) McGill. The father of our subject was born in Dublin, Ireland, in 1787, and at an early day immigrated with his father to the United States and settled in Virginia, where he remained several years. He then moved to Rutherford County, Tenn. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, was in the Battle of New Orleans. He was married in 1816, and was the father of several children: Nancy; William; Lucy; Elizabeth; Sallie; Priscilla and James. The father died in 1860 and the mother in 1884. Our subject was reared on the farm, educated in the country schools, and in 1840 was married to Miss Mary Gardner. Eight children were the result of this union: John A.; Sarah J.; Robert P.; Thomas B.; Franklin; Lewis Cass (who died September 28, 1874), Bedford and Tennessee. In 1874 Mr. McGill was elected trustee of Bedford County, which office he held for two terms in a very able manner. He is a member of the Christian Church, owns a fine tract of land in the Twenty-third District, and is one of the representative men of the county. [Goodspeed History of Tennessee]
WILLIAM J. McGILL
Manufacturer; born in Bedford County, Tenn., February 20, 1873; Scotch-Irish descent; son of R. P. and Sallie (Hix) McGill; paternal grandparents William and Mary (Gardener) McGill; maternal grandparents Joshua and Caroline (Reagor) Hix; educated Winchester Normal, Winchester, Tenn.; began business career as clerk and bookkeeper with Sylvan Cotton Mills, 1890; promoted to Secretary-Treasurer and General Manager in 1900; elected Secretary, Treasurer and General Manager of Robinson-McGill Manufacturing Company January, 1906; Vice President Robinson-McGill Carriage Company of Nashville October, 1909; married Mary Ingle June 8, 1898; is Director Sylvan Cotton Mills, Robinson-McGill Manufacture-ware Company and the Shelbyville Harness Company, all of Shelbyville; also Robinson-McGill Carriage Company and Bearden Carriage Company of Nashville, and Fayetteville Milling Company of Fayetteville; is also Director in Shelbyville Commercial Club; elder Christian Church, Shelbyville, Tenn. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
E. H. McGOWAN
E. H. McGowan was born and reared in Rutherford County, Tenn. His birth occurred September 26, 1842. At the age of nineteen he entered the Confederate service, enlisting in Company C, Twenty-third Tennessee Regiment, and served out his term of enlistment (twelve months). From that time up to 1869 he farmed, and then engaged in the merchandise business at Poplins' Cross Roads, where he has done well, from a financial standpoint. November 8, 1863, Nancy A. Crowell became his wife and the mother of nine children: Robert F.; Henry C.; William C.; Margaret J.; Nancy F.; Rebecca W.; Florence; Isabella and Eddie. Mrs. McGowan was born in 1844 and died August 30, 1885. Mr. McGowan is a Democrat and is a son of Samuel G. McGowan, who was born in Tennessee, and who married Rebecca Halts. They died, respectively, in 1853 and 1852. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN; 1886]
JOSEPH H. McGREW
Dr. Joseph H. McGrew was born February 13, 1826, in Bedford County, Tenn., being the youngest of eleven children of William McGrew. The father was a native of Kentucky, and when young went to South Carolina, where he married Nancy Goodwin. In 1811 they came to Bedford County, where they lived and died, the father being a farmer. The father's death occurred in 1852, and the mother's in 1860. Our subject was reared on a farm. When seventeen years of age he came to Shelbyville, and began the study of medicine in 1844. He attended lectures in Louisville in 1845-1846, and in Philadelphia in 1846-1847, graduating in March, 1847. He then returned to Shelbyville, and has since been engaged in the practice of medicine successfully. He was married, in 1851, to Letitia Cannon, who bore him two children: James H. and Samuel J. The wife died in 1857, and January 31, 1866, he was married to Mary B. Evans. Himself and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. He is a member of the F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. fraternities. Politically he is a firm Republican. Dr. McGrew is examining surgeon in the pension service, and ranks among the able practitioners of the county. He is now practicing with his younger son, Samuel J., who was born December 11, 1854. He (S. J.) studied medicine with his father. He attended lectures in the University of Pennsylvania, graduating in 1881, and has proven himself well-informed in his profession. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Politically he is a Republican. [Godspeed's History of TN ]
JOHN C. McLAREN
Is a Bedford County, Tennessean, born in 1819. He resided on his parent's farm until the father's death, when he took charge of the home place, and afterward fell heir to a portion of it and purchased the remainder. It consists of 270 acres, and is in a good state of cultivation. The dwelling in which he lives was erected in 1833, and was used for several years, at intervals, for public worship and school. John C. wedded Chanie A. Blythe in 1854 and Theodore D.; Mary J.; Susan C.; Charles T.; and William F. are their children. Mrs. McLaren was born in 1838, and is the daughter of Jacob and Jane (Holland) Blythe. She and her husband are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and he is a Democrat and cast his first presidential vote for James K. Polk. Subject's parents, Daniel and Susan (Ruthledge) McLaren, were born in North Carolina, and came to Tennessee when quite young. The father was an agriculturist, and served in the late War of 1812, and also in the Creek and Seminole Wars. He died in Lawrence County in 1838, and his widow married Samuel McCain, who lived but a short time. She lived a widow the remainder of her life, and died in 1882. Daniel McLaren, grandfather of our subject, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and died in Lawrence County, Tenn., in 1840. His father, Daniel McLaren, served five years in the Revolutionary War, and held rank of Major. He died in Hickman County in 1844. [The Goodspeed History of Lawrence County TN 1886]
RICHARD EWELL McLURE
Richard Ewell McLure, a member of one of the old and prominent families of Tennessee, devoted many years to the printing business, but since 1919 he has been identified with public affairs and is the present nominee for the office of county trustee of Davidson county. He was born near Shelbyville, in Bedford county, Tennessee, March 1, 1877, a son of Levi Gordon and Virginia Caroline (Vance) McLure, who were also natives of that county. The paternal grandfather, Richard Wesley McLure, was a native of Scotland and as a youth he came to the United States, locating in Bedford county, Tennessee, where his marriage occurred. Prior to the outbreak of the Civil war he engaged in the manufacture of shoes and also operated a tannery but after the restoration of peace he retired from active business pursuits, spending his remaining years on his farm in Bedford county. His son, Levi G. McLure, also followed agricultural pursuits for a time, but in the early 1880's, when thirty-five years of age, he went to Florida, where he learned the machinist's trade, later becoming an engineer, and while residing in that section of the country he made some investments which proved unprofitable. His demise occurred in 1903. The mother is now a resident of Huntsville, Alabama. She is a representative of one of the pioneer families of Tennessee, her great-grandfather having removed from North Carolina to Bedford county, this state. Richard Ewell McLure attended the public schools of Orlando, Florida, to the age of fourteen years, when he began learning the printer's trade, which he followed successfully until 1919, with the exception of a short interval. During the last twenty-two years of that period he was associated with printing firms of Nashville and from 1906 until 1919 he was employed on the composing staff of the Banner, one of the leading newspapers of the city. In 1919 he was made deputy trustee of Davidson county and in the June primary of 1922 he was nominated for the office of county trustee, the incumbent in that position at that time being A. B. Bell. Mr. McLure was elected and was inducted into office on September 1, 1922, his term of service being two years. He is well qualified to discharge the duties of the position. In 1904 Mr. McLure was married to Miss Margaret S. Anderson, a daughter of J. J. Anderson, for many years one of the leading carriage manufacturers of Nashville.
To Mr. and Mrs. McLure were born two children, one of whom survives, Margaret S. Mr. and Mrs. McLure also have an adopted daughter, Katie Rose Woods. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, South. Mr. McLure has also become well known in fraternal circles of the city, being a member of Simley Lodge, No. 90, I. O. O. F.; Iva Lodge, No. 34, K. P.; and the Woodmen of the World camp. He is a prominent Mason, belonging to Cumberland Lodge, No. 8, F. & A. M., of which he has been master; Trinity Consistory, No. 2, A. & A. S. R.; Al Menah Temple of the Mystic Shrine; and he is also a member of Tooba Grotto of the Veiled Prophets. He is likewise identified with the National Exchange Club and Typographical Union, No. 20, of which he has been president. From the age of fourteen Mr. McLure has fought life's battles unaided and the years have chronicled his growing success. His fellow townsmen attest his sterling qualities and personal worth and he has gained a wide circle of friends during the period of his residence in Nashville. [Tennessee the Volunteer State, Vol 4]
J. L. McWILLIAMS
Farmer; born in Bedford Co., Tenn., Feb. 16, 1832; Scotch-Irish descent; son of John and Mary Ann (Robinson) McWilliams; father was a farmer; received common school education; has been a farmer all of his life; has also filled positions as bookkeeper and salesman; member of F. & A.M.; Democrat; served in the Confederate army during the civil war; member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
J. M. MEADOWS
General merchant of Dresden, was born in Bedford County, Tenn., in 1834 and is a son of E. G. and Jane (Thompson) Meadows. The former was born in North Carolina, in 1813, and came to Tennessee in his youth, locating in Bedford County, where he followed farming for some time. After marrying in Rutherford and residing in Dickson County, he finally located in Weakley County, where he now resides. He became the father of eight children, all of whom are living: Caroline (wife of W. C. Hicks, who resides in Obion County); J. M., our subject; Sabrina (Mrs. Bryant James); James P.; Ann (Mrs. Thomas Hatcher); Nancy (Mrs. Benjamin Bowers); William (who resides in Fulton, Ky.); and Thomas. Their mother was born in Virginia, in 1816, and died in 1881. J. M. Meadows was educated in Dickson County, Tenn., and after attaining his twenty-first birthday, hired out as clerk in a dry goods store in Dresden, and worked for J. W. Hays & Bro. for about six years. During the late war he bought a stock of goods and began business for himself at Locust Grove (now Greenfield) Tenn., but soon came to Dresden, where he has since resided. He has followed merchandising the greater part of the time since the war, and since 1881 has been located at his present place of business. In November, 1861, he married Miss A. A. Thompson, a native of Weakley County, They have three children: Emma (Mrs. T. A. McElwrath); , Charles P. and Nettle. Mr. Meadows is an energetic and honest business man of Dresden and has been a life-long Democrat in politics. His wife and children are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. [Godspeed's History of TN 1887, Weakley Co]
JAMES W.C. MITCHELL
James W.C. Mitchell, a merchant of the Twenty-fourth District of this county, was born January 29, 1842, son of T. F. and Margaret (Binkley) Mitchell. The father was a native of North Carolina, and in early life immigrated to Alabama and settled in Huntsville, where he was married. He was the father of eleven children: Sarah A. (deceased); John (deceased); Mary; Martha; James W. C.; Joseph (deceased); Robert H.; Bates; Nancy; Logan and Elizabeth. Joseph Mitchell was killed in the Battle of Franklin and was buried at Columbia. Our subject's father is still living at the advanced age of eighty-six. James W. C. Mitchell was reared on the farm, given an education in the country schools and when in his eighteenth year entered the Confederate Army in the Thirty-seventh Tennessee Infantry; was in the battles of Perryville, Chickamauga, Atlanta, Murfreesboro, Franklin and others, and was wounded twice. After the war he came back to this county and has since that time resided here. In 1873 Miss Catharine Bomar became his wife. The results of this union were four children: Oscar L.; James W.; Bibbie B. and one not named. In 1875 Mr. Mitchell went into the mercantile business in the Twenty-fourth District, and in 1881 went into the distillery business at the same place, making about sixty-five gallons of whisky per day, and is doing a $3,000 business. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN, 1886]
ROBERT H. MITCHELL
Landowner, and foreman of Coffee County Grand Jury. Born in Bedford County on Oct. 10, 1845, of Scotch-Irish ancestry, his parents were Tarlton and Peggy Brinkly Mitchell; his father was a farmer and was born at Creedmore, N. C. His paternal grandparents were John and Sallie Johnson Mitchell of Maryland; maternal grandparents were Bob and Betsy Low Brinkley of N. C. Educated in the public schools of Bedford County, Tennessee. Member of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Mitchell is one of Middle Tennessee's pioneer citizens and, notwithstanding the fact that he is 92 years of age, is still very active looking after his farming interests which are very large. He is one of the largest landowners in Tennessee. He has been for many years and still is foreman of the Coffee County Grand Jury. His forefathers were among those who helped to settle Tennessee. He has several sons, all of whom have made wonderful successes. He is the father of eight children, all of whom are living. His wife was Minerva Carroll before their marriage in 1870. Mr. Mitchell started out life as a poor boy and by hard work and thrift is today a very wealthy man. [Prominent Tennesseans,1940]
ROBERT S. MONTGOMERY
Robert S. Montgomery was born November 30, 1829, in South Carolina, and is a son of Thomas Montgomery, who was born in 1808 and is of Irish parentage. He came to Tennessee in 1844, locating near Palmetto and in 1854 erected a dwelling-house, in which our subject now lives. Robert S. began to reside permanently in the State in 1855, and the same year engaged in merchandise business with Samuel Carpenter, continuing up to the date of the late war. After its close they again resumed business and, in 1874, T. S. Montgomery purchased Mr. Carpenter's interest, the style of the firm being then changed to Montgomery Bros. In 1885 they sold out to J. O. Montgomery, a cousin. March 13, 1855, he married Miss Susan Dysart, daughter of James P. and Leah Dysart. To Mr. and Mrs. Montgomery were born eight children: Alice E. (Mrs. J. F. Tillman); Mary (deceased); Jimmie (deceased); Thomas A.; Lillie (wife of Dr. W. C. Ransom); Denny; Gertrude Inez and Robert H. Mrs. Montgomery died April 19, 1881. He is a Republican and a strict member of the Presbyterian Church.
T. S. MONTGOMERY
T. S. Montgomery was born March 80, 1848, in the "Palmetto State." At the age of fifteen he left home and engaged in the dry goods business, clerking for his brother Robert S. at Palmetto. He entered Union Academy at the end of eighteen months, where he remained about ten months. He then returned and remained with his brother until the war. At its close he again resumed his clerkship and at the end of two years commenced farming. From 1868 to 1874 he was in the mercantile business at Farmington, but then returned to Palmetto, and in 1885 he and his brother sold out to their cousin. Since 1882 he has served as magistrate of his district. September 27, 1866, he wedded Magie L. Hagle, daughter of Peter and Esther Hagle. They have five children: Flora Esther; T. Clarence; Ethel; Susie and Hoyle. Mr. Montgomery is a Republican and a member of the United Presbyterian Church.
CLEMENT J. MOODY
Clement J. Moody, one of Bedford County's prominent attorneys is a son of Samuel S. and Letitia (Cannon) Moody. The father was born in Henry County, Tenn. He was a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church and was a member of the general conference of 1844, when the churches divided and he adhered to the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He was one of the most eminent ministers of the church and for many years was presiding elder of this district conference. He held very prominent positions in various places. His death occurred May 7, 1868. The mother was a niece of Gov. Newton Cannon, and her father was one of the most prominent pioneers of this county, and gave the land whereon the town of Shelbyville was built. She died July 24, 1880. The subject of this sketch received a good early education, graduating at the Centre College, Kentucky, in 1865. He then read law in Shelbyville and in 1867 graduated in the law department of the Cumberland University at Lebanon, Tenn. He was then admitted to the Bedford County bar and has been justly successful in the profession, ranking among the leading criminal lawyers of the State. He was married January 18, 1881, to Miss Sally C. M. Cannon, daughter of John T. Cannon, whose sketch appears in this work. Mr. Moody and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mr. Moody is a Royal Arch Mason and Past Grand Master of the Shelbyville Lodge. Politically he is a firm Democrat, and is one of the leading spirits in his party. [Godspeed's History of TN]
GEORGE W. MOODY
Dr. George W. Moody, a leading physician of Shelbyville, was born November 5, 1848, being a son of Samuel S. Moody (see sketch of C. J. Moody). He was reared with his parents to the age of twenty-one, and had begun the study of medicine. In 1869 he graduated in the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia. He then located in Shelbyville, where he has met with justly deserved success in the practice of his profession. He was married, March 16, 1861, to Miss Georgie Strong, a native of this county. Her parents were from northern Alabama, and her mother is the daughter of Gen. Moore, of Tullahoma, Tenn. Dr. Moody's married life has been blessed in the birth of two children, viz.: Winston G. and Samuel S. Himself and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and he is steward and trustee of the same. He is a member of the Medical Society of Tennessee, a Democrat in politics, and is a worthy and highly respected citizen of the county. [Godspeed's History of TN ]
JOHN R. MOON
John R. Moon, M. D., is the eldest of seven children born to the union of Pleasant B. and Mary Ann Moon. His birth occurred November 12, 1853. He received good educational advantages, and attended the Unionville Academy. He began studying medicine when quite young, and in October, 1876, entered a medical college, from which he graduated in March, 1878. He practiced his chosen profession about three years with average success, and in May, 1882, he located in Poplin's Cross Roads, where he has since lived and established a good practice. William U., born November 26, 1877; Bertha Erie, born January 6, 1880; James P., born November 1, 1881; John R., born September 1, 1883, and Mary Myrtle, born May 29, 1885, are the children born to his union with Mattie M. Dryden, which took place May 7, 1876. Dr. Moon and wife are members in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and in his political views he is a Republican. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN, 1886]
J. L. MOORE
Senior member of the mercantile firm of Moore & Waggoner, is a prominent citizen of the city of Lynchburg who has held one of its highest offices and has enjoyed a life's career which illustrates a high order of intelligence, dignity of bearing, nobleness of purpose and a steady aim; for as a business man he has been successful, and as a public officer he has been thorough and faithful, giving satisfaction to all parties in the execution of the arduous duties of his position. Mr. Moore is a native son of Tennessee, and was born at Flat Creek, Bedford county, January 26, 1861, a son of Milton N. and Elizabeth (Shaw) Moore. The family was founded in Tennessee by the grandparents of Mr. Moore, who came from North Carolina and settled in Shelbyville, where the grandfather died shortly thereafter. Milton N. Moore was born in Bedford county, March 10, 1829, and there received his education, was reared to manhood and learned the trade of tailor, which he followed until about the time of his marriage. He enlisted from Bedford county in the Confederate army at the outbreak of hostilities between the North and South, and throughout that struggle was connected with the commissary department. In 1866, Mr. Moore came to Lynchburg, where he engaged in farming and also followed mercantile pursuits, but about 1885 moved to Tullahoma, where he entered the mercantile business and also became president of the Traders National Bank. About the year 1895 he retired from active business pursuits, and subsequently lived a quiet life until his death in 1906. He was a Democrat in his political affiliation, and his religious faith was that of the Christian church, of which his wife was also a member, and in which he acted as elder for many years. Mrs. Moore was born in that part of Lincoln county which is now included in Moore county, and was married to Mr. Moore in 1852, ten children being born to this union, of whom J. L. was the fifth in order of birth, and six of whom are now living.
J. L. Moore received his education in the public schools of Lynchburg and Burritt College, Spencer, Tennessee. After graduating from the latter institution, he returned to Lynchburg, where he embarked in business as the proprietor of a large livery stable. He continued to be engaged in this line for the following twelve years, and then disposed of his interests to enter the mercantile trade. This he continued alone until 1907, at which time he turned his attention to farming, but again in 1912 resumed general merchandising, as a partner of Guy Waggoner. In addition to this business, which has assumed large proportions, he is the owner of a modem undertaking establishment, which is equipped with the latest conveniences known to the calling. Politically a Democrat, in August, 1910, Mr. Moore was elected mayor of Lynchburg, an office which he has continued to fill with signal ability to the present time. As the incumbent of this office he has been the means of bringing about much substantial municipal improvement, always taking an active interest in the welfare of the community and its people. Among the numerous innovations that have marked his administration was the installing of the concrete walks about the public square, and the electric lights, and in many other ways he has given his fellow-citizens a clean, progressive and business-like term of service. As a business man he has the entire confidence of his associates, and in social circles he is a general favorite with all who have come into contact with him. Mr. and Mrs. Moore are consistent members of the Christian church, and have been liberal in their support of its movements. In 1887 Mr. Moore was united in marriage with Miss Mamie Harrington, daughter of "Doc" Harrington, of Lebanon, Tennessee. They have had no children. [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will Thomas Hale & Dixon L. Merritt Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
GEORGE ALLEN MORGAN
Minister; born Bedford Co., Tenn., July 29, 1866; son of German B. and Isadora Alice (Holt) Morgan; father carpenter and farmer; paternal grandparents Moses and Elizabeth (Johnson) Morgan; maternal grandparents Jordan C. and Margaret (Wilhoit) Holt; educated Webb school, Bellbuckle, Tenn. and Vanderbilt University, graduating from latter June, 1896, with A. B. degree; a member of A. K. E. Fraternity; spent his early life on a farm; married Effie _ernor Kennedy June 12, 1901; joined the Tennessee conference (M.E. church, South) at Shelbyville, Tenn. Oct., 1897; first stationed at Lewisburg and Petersburg, serving this charge for three years; later stationed at Fayetteville for four years, then Murfreesboro for four years; now in third year of pastorate at Pulaski, Tenn.; member of Knights of Pythias; Democrat. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
ROBERT KENNETH MORGAN
Robert Kenneth Morgan, owner and principal of the Morgan School, a preparatory institution at Petersburg, is a native of Tennessee. He was born in Bedford county, on the 9th of February, 1864, a son of German Baker and Isadora Alice (Holt) Morgan, both natives of Tennessee. Robert Kenneth Morgan attended the common schools of Bedford county and subsequently entered the Webb School at Bellbuckle. In due time he enrolled in Vanderbilt University and upon the completion of his education engaged in teaching. He found educational work much to his liking and some thirty-five years ago founded the Morgan School, the purpose of which institution is to give a thorough preparatory training. He achieved success from the start and his school stands high among the institutions of its kind in the state. Some three years ago he received a private voluntary subscription of seventy thousand dollars, this money having been given for the purpose of removing the school from Fayetteville to Petersburg. The people in this community have cooperated in every way to make the school a success and Mr. Morgan is readily conceded to be one of the city's most substantial citizens. He has attained a position of prominence among the foremost educators of the south and he is a member of the state board of education and superintendent of the general educational interests of the community. On the 4th of June, 1895, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Morgan and Miss Mary Myrtle Stephenson, a native of Tennessee. To their union the following children have been born: Robert K., Jr., John G., Kathlene, Mary, Alice, Lucille, Sarah and Charles L. Mrs. Morgan is a true southern gentlewoman, possessing a charming and magnetic personality, and she is prominent in the club and social circles of Petersburg. Since attaining his majority Mr. Morgan has followed an independent course in politics, although he is partial to the democratic party. He has never sought nor desired public preferment but he is always active in civic affairs and is well informed on all important questions and issues of the day. He is and has been for many years a stanch prohibitionist and canvassed the state in the interests of prohibition. His religious faith is that of the Methodist church and he is a member of the board of stewards of the local church. Fraternally he is identified with the Knights of Pythias, and while a student at the university he became affiliated with Delta Kappa Epsilon, one of the most popular national college fraternities in the United States. Mr. Morgan is a man of genial and pleasing personality and he enjoys the confidence of his pupils and his fellow citizens. He is a well known figure in the educational and religious circles of Tennessee and this state is indeed proud to number him among her native sons. [Tennessee - The Volunteer State Vol 2]
ROBERT KENNETH MORGAN
During the ten years that the Morgan preparatory school has been in existence at Fayetteville, it has established a reputation second to no institution of its character in the state. Its president, Prof. Robert Kenneth Morgan, has for years been recognized as a leader in the ranks of Tennessee educators, and has made it the purpose of the school to dispense the benefits of a liberal education to the young men and women not only of this state but of the entire section, thus assisting to make Fayetteville as preeminent in educational matters as it is in commercial affairs. Air. Morgan is a native Tennessean, born in Bedford county, near Shelbyville, February 9, 1864, a son of Germain Baker and Alice (Holt) Morgan.
Moses Morgan, the grandfather of Robert K. Morgan, was born in North Carolina, and as a youth came to Tennessee with his parents, the family settling in Bedford county, where he spent the remainder of his life in working at the carpenter trade. He married Elizabeth Johnson, and among their children was Germain B. Morgan, who was born in Bedford county in 1832. The latter followed in his father's foot-steps, learning the trade of carpenter and subsequently becoming the proprietor of a sawmill, which he conducted for a number of years. In political matters he was a Democrat, and with his family, attended the Methodist Episcopal Church South. His death occurred in 1907. Mr. Morgan married Miss Alice Holt, who was born in Bedford county in 1842, and she still survives her husband. They had a family of three sons and five daughters, Robert K. being the second in order of birth of these children, of whom five are now living.
Robert Kenneth Morgan received his early education in the public schools of Shelbyville and the Webb schools, and then took a special course in Vanderbilt University. He entered upon his professional career as a teacher in the schools of Howell, Tennessee, and in 1903 came to Fayetteville and established the Morgan school. The character of the buildings already erected, and the plans of those to be erected during the coming year, indicate that taste, utility and permanence are to be taken into account. These include the school, a dormitory and a gymnasium, while a library and two society buildings are being erected. The physical well-being of the students has not been neglected, as indicated by the employment of competent teachers of physical culture, while the range of sciences covered by the various departments proves the broad basis on which the institution has been founded. The enrollment of pupils includes from two hundred to two hundred and twenty-five names.
Prof. Morgan has not confined his energies to the promotion of the school with which he is personally connected, but has been a friend of education and an active worker for its advancement along all lines. His activities have brought him prominently before the public, where he is generally recognized as one of the leading representatives of his calling in the state. In political matters he is a Democrat, but has not entered the public arena. He is a member of the board of stewards of the Methodist Episcopal Church South and lay leader of his district, while his fraternal connections are with Chevalier Lodge No. 22, Knights of Pythias and the D. K. E. college fraternity, of which he is a charter member.
In 1895, Prof. Morgan was married to Miss Myrtle Stevenson, of Howell, and seven children have been born to this union: Kenneth, John, Kathaleen, Mary, Alice, Lucille and Charles L. [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will Thomas Hale & Dixon L. Merritt Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
Q. E. MORTON
Q. E. Morton was born September 25, 1835, in Bedford County, Tenn., and is the son of Jacob and Annie (Fisher) Morton. The father was born February 17, 1787, in North Carolina, immigrated to Tennessee about 1814, and engaged in the blacksmith trade. He was the first alderman of Shelbyville. The mother was also a native of North Carolina, and her marriage to Jacob Morton, September 12, 1815, resulted in the birth of fourteen children. Our subject grew to manhood on the farm, and at the age of twenty began farming for himself, and this he continued very successfully up to the time of the late war. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate Army, in the Twenty-third Tennessee Infantry, remaining but thirteen months in the regular service, when he was appointed sutler of his regiment. He was soon captured, and upon being released returned home and engaged in agricultural pursuits, which he has continued up to the present time. Previous to the war, in 1855, he wedded Nancy M. Jackson, of this county. To them were born seven children: John J.; Martha E., wife of E. C. Barnes; Mark J., a practicing physician of Center Grove, who was born September 8, 1864, and graduated from the medical department of the State University, of Nashville. Prior to entering the university he had studied medicine for three years. He has at present quite a good practice, which is constantly increasing. The fourth child of our subject is Q. Emmet; sixth, Rufus H., seventh Nannie R. and eighth James L. Mr. Morton is a Republican, and he and wife are members of the Primitive Baptist Church. He was elected magistrate in 1882, and this office he filled in a highly satisfactory manner. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN, 1886]
SAMUEL THOMAS MORTON
Editor and publisher; born Shelbyville, Tenn., Feb. 4, 1855; son of Samuel S. and Pauline C. (Royster) Morton; father tailor; educated Shelbyville, Tenn.; in early life was a printer and merchant; married Mollie E. Birdwell Feb., 1892; Democrat; served as election commissioner under Gov. McMillan; member M.E. Church, South. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
EDWARD A. MOSELEY, JR.
Edward A. Moseley, Jr., JR., farmer, is a son of Thomas G. and Mary T. (Sikes) Moseley, and was born in Bedford County, Tenn., February 17, 1850, of English and Welsh descent. The father was born in Limestone County, Ala., December 13, 1824, and was married December 16, 1846. To them were born nine children. Thomas G. Moseley served in the commissary department of the Confederate Army under Maj. James F. Cummings. He served one term in the Confederate Legislature of Tennessee as a member of the House of Representatives. He was a member of the Senate in the Thirty-ninth General Assembly representing Bedford and Rutherford Counties. He was a Henry Clay Whig prior to the war but has been fully identified with the Democratic party since that time. Our subject's early days were spent on a farm and in attending the common schools, after which he took a business and commercial course in Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College at Nashville, Tenn. June 80, 1869, he wedded Miss Mattie Thomas, born August 12, 1852, daughter of William Thomas, born in 1807 and died in 1861, and Jane (McCrary) Thomas, born in 1816 and died in 1882. To them were born the following interesting family: Jesse T. L. P., Mary S., Maggie E., Janie T., Carrie Drue, Mattie Louise and Bessie. Mr. Moseley is a Democrat and a member of the Masonic fraternity. He and wife and three eldest daughters belong to the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Moseley is the owner of 200 acres of land, and the most of his attention is given to raising Norman and Clydesdale horses, of which he has many fine specimens. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN, 1886]
HENRY G. MOSS
Supervisor of Fenton Township (1885), was born Jan. 14, 1826 Bedford Co., Term., near the city of Nashville. His father, William Moss, was a native of Tennessee, and married Rachel Bratton, who was born in Virginia. His parents came in the first year of his life to Illinois, moving according to the primitive fashion of those times with horses and a pioneer wagon. They settled seven miles northwest of Jacksonville, in Morgan Co., Ill., where they were among the first permanent settlers. The father bought a tract of wild land from the Government, built a log-house, and settled to add his iota to the development of the common wealth of Illinois. The senior Moss died there May 8, 1876, aged 82 years. His wife's death preceded his nearly 30 years, as she died in 1848. Their family record is one of the most remarkable, their children numbering 17, and all were living at the time of the birth of the youngest.
Mr. Moss is the eighth in order of birth, and he passed his youth in the midst of pioneer conditions, which allowed little latitude save for labor and privation. The first important event in his life was his leap into matrimony. His marriage to Elizabeth Eads took place Nov. 19, 1851. She was born in Madison, Ind. They settled in Union Grove Township in 1853, taking possession of a portion of un-improved land, on which they began to make the usual efforts to reclaim a farm. They sold the property in 1855, and bought a farm on which some improvements had been made. It was located on section 8, and the family were its occupants until 1867. In that year they again sold, and bought 400 acres of land on sections 9 and 4 in the township of Fenton. Since his removal to the farm on which he now resides he has been chiefly interested in stock fanning. In 1881 he was elected Supervisor, and has been successively re-elected since. Following is the record of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Moss: Emily C. is the wife of Sidney C. Covert, of Sterling; Alice E. married Millard F. Austin, of Cloud Co., Kan.; Lydia M. is Mrs. M. D. Allen, of Fenton Township; Eliza B. is the wife of A. F. Pinkley, and they reside in Nebraska; Charles N. is the next in order; George. H. is a farmer in Cloud Co., Kan.; Carrie E., who married E. A. Sikes, and Nellie J. are the youngest. Mr. Moss is one of the substantial citizens of Fenton Township, and he enjoys the confidence and esteem of his fellow townsmen. [Portrait and Biographical album of Whiteside County, Illinois; 1885]
ALBERT F. MULLINS
Liveryman; born Shelbyville, Tenn., June 2, 1874; son of James M. and Lettie (Beavers) Mullins; father miller; educated at Shelbyville, Tenn.; reared on farm and entered grocery business in 1892, later engaged in the lumber business for some time and held position as fireman on N.C. & St. L. R.R. about three years, has been engaged in present business for two years; married Irene Shoffner Aug. 1, 1893; member M.W. of A., I.O.O.F. and Masons; Republican; member of Lutheran church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
1807 - 1873
James Mullins, a Representative from Tennessee; born in Bedford County, Tenn., September 15, 1807; completed preparatory studies; apprenticed to the millwright's trade; colonel of the State militia in 1831; sheriff of Bedford County 1840-1846; compelled to flee from his home in 1862 on account of his loyalty to the Union; during the Civil War served in the Union Army 1862-1864; member of the State house of representatives, 1865-1867; elected as a Republican to the Fortieth Congress (March 4, 1867-March 3, 1869); died in Shelbyville, Bedford County, Tenn., June 26, 1873; interment in the Arnold Graveyard, about nine miles northeast of Shelbyville. [unknown source, added by Christine Walters]
GEORGE P. MUSE
George P. Muse, farmer, was born in Bedford County, Tenn., January 29, 1844, and is the son of Orville and Malinda M. (Ross) Muse. His father was born in Virginia November 13, 1806, and his mother was born in South Carolina April 26, 1809. The Muse family are among the early settlers of the State, coming here when Tennessee was but a wilderness. Our subject lives on a farm adjoining the one his grandfather settled on after immigrating to this State. Our subject is the sixth in a family of ten children born to his parents. He was reared on the farm and received a fair practical education. He enlisted in the Second Regiment Tennessee Infantry, Confederate States Army, under Col. (now Gov.) Bate, at the youthful age of sixteen, and served throughout the entire war. He participated in the battles of first Manassas, Shiloh and Richmond, Ky. He was severely wounded in the latter engagement, captured and paroled within the Federal lines. After recovering sufficiently he was taken to Camp Douglas, where he was held three months and then exchanged. He then joined his regiment in Tennessee. After this he was clerk in Cleburne's commissary department, and was again captured while retreating from Dalton. He was held in Rock Island, Ill., until near the close of the war. Since the war our subject has served the public fourteen years; six years in the capacity of constable, four years as sheriff and four years as deputy-sheriff. November 8, 1866, he wedded Miss Mary J. Wright, of Bedford County, Tenn., and the daughter of Whitfield Wright. Their children are seven in number - four sons and three daughters. Mr. Muse has a fine farm of 110 acres, and he is a Democrat, an Odd Fellow, a Knight of Honor and a Royal Arcanum. Mrs. Muse and one son are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.[Goodspeed's History of Tennessee]
WILL J. MUSE
Will J. Muse, clerk of the County Court of Bedford County, was born December 5, 1844, near Shelbyville. The Muse family originated in the United States from two brothers, James and George Muse, who came from England to North Carolina. George went to Virginia and James remained in North Carolina. Our subject is a descendant of the latter. The father of Will J. was Jo C. Muse, and the mother was Mary A. Muse, the parents being cousins. The father was a farmer and mechanic, and was identified with the public interests of this county. The maternal grandfather, John T. Muse, was, when quite young, among the first settlers of this State. He was an able minister of the Missionary Baptist Church, and founded the first church of that denomination in this county. He died suddenly while in the preparation of a sermon, having eloquently preached away a lifetime. Will J. was reared on a farm and had limited educational advantages. At the age of seventeen he entered Company B, of Turney's First Tennessee and served throughout the war. He was promoted from a private to the captaincy of his company. He received eleven wounds, three of which were very serious. Returning from the army he attended school three years and taught one year. For three years he then clerked in a store. Subsequently he and a brother engaged in merchandising till 1882. He was elected to his office in August, 1882, and has filled it with general satisfaction to his constituents. He was married in 1872 to Nannie Russell, the results of this union being two children: Henry Kirk White and Georgie Awa. Both Mr. Muse and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. In politics he is a firm Democrat. [History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present..." Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1886]
IRA E. MYERS
Ira Myers of Nora Township, (Jo Daviess County Illinois) occupies a position among the best elements of his people, and lives upon the old homestead, his father's farm, where he was reared, and which, with the exception of two years, has been his lifelong abiding place. He was at an early age made familiar with agricultural pursuits, and chose this as his life occupation. Of late he has given considerable attention to stock-raising, breeding fine horses - Clydesdales and Hambletonians - and exhibiting some of the best specimens of the equine race to be found in this section.
Our subject, the fifth child of his parents, was born in Nora Township, June 5, 1861, and is the son of E. X. and Nancy (Garver) Myers, who were both natives of Huntingdon County, Pa. They were reared to years of maturity, and married in their native county, and upon removing thence settled, about 1855 in Nora Township, this county. The father constructed a valuable farm from a tract of uncultivated land, and occupied it until the spring of 1880. Then selling out he returned to the old homestead, in Huntingdon County, Pa., where he now lives.
The mother of our subject died at her home in Nora Township, Jan. 21, 1877. The elder Myers was subsequently married to her sister, Harriet, who is now with her husband in Pennsylvania. Of the first marriage there were born nine children, his sons and three daughters, Ira K. being the fifth child. Of the second marriage there were two children. About 1881 he left the farm, and going into Brown County, Kan., sojourned there two years, engaged in agricultural pursuits. Then returning to the old homestead, has since remained here.
This property fell to our subject by purchase, in the fall of 1884, and comprises 120 acres of carefully cultivated land, with modern farm buildings. Mr. Myers, on the 29th of November, 1881, was married, at Waddam's Grove, Stephenson County, to Miss Maggie K. Hunt. This lady was born in Bedford County, Tenn. March 28, 1865, and became the mother of four sons: Elmer X.; Arthur K.; Willis K.; and Charles H. She was the daughter of Andrew and Angeline (Kimsey) Hunt, natives of Tennessee. The father died June 5, 1867, in Tennessee, and the mother resides with her son-in-law, the subject of this sketch. The second child died when seven months old. Mr. Myers met with his first great affection in the loss of his estimable wife, whose death occurred July 19, 1888. She was a lady greatly beloved, a devoted wife and mother, and her name is held in tender remembrance by her husband and a large circle of friends.
Conscientious and faithful in the discharge of every duty she was uniformly charitable and kind, and an active member of the English Lutheran Church. Mr. Myers, in the spring of 1888, was elected Justice of the Peace for four years. Politically, he is an earnest supporter of Republican principles, and has been quite prominent in local affairs, serving as a member of the Republican Township Committee, and having considerable influence in the councils of his party of this section. Socially, he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, and in the fall of 1888 was chosen as their delegate to the Head Camp at Des Moines, Iowa. Although still under thirty years of age he has made his mark in his community, and it is predicted that in due time he will become one of its leading men. [Portrait and Biographicals of JoDaviess Co IL; Chapman Brothers Publishing, 1889]
BACK -- HOME