C. B. RANEY
C. B. Raney, farmer, of Bedford County, was born June 18, 1838, son of John W. and Catharine (Rolinson) Raney. The father was a native of Virginia, born in 1806, and immigrated to this county at an early day, settling in Bedford County. He was the father of a family of eight children, six of whom lived to be grown. John W. Raney was a farmer, and was accidentally killed in 1841. He was a worthy member or the Free-Will Baptist Church. The mother is still living. Our subject grew to manhood on the farm, and in 1865 began working for himself. Previous to this he had enlisted in the Confederate Army, in the Forty-First Tennessee Regiment, and in 1861 was elected Lieutenant in the company, but gave up his position to make harmony in the ranks, and acted as Orderly Sergeant. He was again elected Lieutenant, and was soon made Second Lieutenant of the company. He was captured at Fort Donelson and carried to Camp Morton, where he remained eight months. He was then exchanged, and went back into service, and was in the battles of Vicksburg, Jackson, Raymond, Port Hudson, Corinth, Chickamauga and numerous other important battles, as his regiment was never in any important engagement without him. In 1878 he was married to Miss Victoria Campbell, and to this union two children were born: Eunice and William. In politics he is a stanch Democrat. [History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present…" Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1886]
B. F. RANSOM, SR.
Farmer; born Rutherford Co., Tenn., Dec. 14, 1819; English and Irish descent; son of Benjamin C. and Sarah (Jarratt) Ransom; paternal grandparents Richard and Cissiah (Portice) Ransom, maternal grandparents Thomas and Susannah (Thompson) Jarratt; received common school education; devoted himself to farming in early youth; all of his life has been devoted to agricultural pursuits; was a soldier in the Cherokee and Creek war (Indian) in 1838; was turnpike commissioner for state of Tenn. in 1857; married three times, first Lavonia Jordan Oct., 1848, second Maggie Fugitt Sept., 1881, third Elizabeth Slater Feb., 1883; Democrat (Regular); member Methodist church.[Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
GEORGE W. RANSOM
George W. Ransom. Numbered among the esteemed and valued citizens of Shelbyville county, is George W. Ransom, a man of sterling integrity and character, and a worthy representative of those courageous pioneers who settled in this part of Tennessee while it was yet in its infancy. A son of John Ransom, he was born on a farm lying seven miles west of Murfreesboro, Rutherford county, July 29, 1838.
The paternal grandfather, Captain Richard Ransom, was born in Isle of Wight county, North Carolina, where his father, James Ransom, who was of pure Scotch ancestry, was a life-long resident. During the Revolutionary War Richard Ransom enlisted for service as a private, and subsequently was twice promoted, first being raised to the rank of Lieutenant, and later receiving his commission as Captain. At the time of Gates' defeat, August 16, 1780, the Captain was captured by the enemy. Soon after, with ten of his companions, he escaped, and for ten days the fugitives lived upon dry corn, the first two days of the time concealing themselves in the mud, in which they buried their bodies. At the end of eleven days the little band of fugitives rejoined the Colonial forces. Captain Ransom resided in his native state until 1812, when he joined his son Benjamin in Rutherford county, Tennessee, where he subsequently resided until his death, in 1827. To him and his wife, whose maiden name was Amy Davis, nine sons and three daughters were born, John, the father of George W., being the third child in succession of birth.
John Ransom was born in Mecklenburg county, North Carolina, in December, 1792, and in 1812 accompanied his father to Rutherford county, Tennessee. Marrying a few years later, his father-in-law presented him with ninety acres of land, and in the log house which he built his children were born He was a man of great enterprise and thrift, very successful as an agriculturist, and as his means increased he bought more land and more slaves, acquiring title to thirteen hundred acres of land in Rutherford county, his home estate lying seven miles west of Shelbyville. There he lived and labored until his death, in 1849, when but fifty-six years of age, his body, as was that of his father, being buried on his home farm. He married Elizabeth Bowman, who was born in Tennessee, a daughter of Rev. John and Elizabeth Bowman, and a lineal descendant of the Duke of Orleans. She survived him, passing away in September, 1857, aged fifty-nine years. Thirteen children were born of their union, as follows: Mary; William Alexander; Richard P.; Margaret; Keziah; John R.; David; Caroline; D. Gaston; Samuel Houston; Benjamin F.; George W.; and Annie. Two of the children met death by accident when young, but all of the others grew to years of maturity. George W. is the only one now living.
Obtaining the rudiments of his education in the rural schools of his native county, George W. Ransom subsequently attended school in Salem and Shelbyville. He subsequently began life for himself as a merchant, being first located in Murfreesboro, and later in Fayetteville. In 1863 he enlisted in Company D, which was assigned to Colonel D. W. Holman's regiment, and did service under General Forrest, being with his command in its various marches and battles until the final surrender at Gainesville, Alabama, where he was allowed to keep his horse, on which he rode home. Mr. Ransom subsequently engaged in agricultural pursuits for a year in Bedford county, and then, in company with his brother, William A. Ransom, established a cotton brokerage business in Murfreesboro. In 1875, continuing in that city, Mr. Ransom embarked in the lumber business, with which he has since been identified, since 1890 having resided in Shelbyville. In the management of his affairs he has shown excellent judgment, and has met with well deserved success.
Mr. Ransom has been three times married. He married first, May 9, 1860, Elizabeth Bostick, who was born in Williamson county, Tennessee, in 1844, a daughter of James Bostick. She died in 1864, leaving two children, namely: John B. Ransom, of whom a brief sketch may be found on another page of this volume; and George Thomas Ransom, the latter in lumber business at Jackson, Tennessee. Mr. Ransom married for his second wife Margaret Buchanan, who was born in Davidson county, Tennessee, a daughter of Major John K. and Elizabeth (Harwood) Buchanan. She passed to the higher life in February, 1889, leaving eight children, namely: Samuel B.; Arthur Bowman, of whom special mention is made elsewhere in this biographical work; Lizzie Mai, wife of J. B. Frierson; Anna, who married William Gladstone Wardlaw; Marvin; James McEwen; William S.; and Margaret. The sons are all engaged in the lumber business, their operations being extensive and profitable. Mr. Ransom's third wife was Mrs. Amy (Thompson) Warren, who died in April, 1899. Reared in the Methodist Episcopal Church, Mr. Ransom has always been true to the faith of that denomination. Socially he is a member of the William Frierson Bivouac, Confederate Veterans.[A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
JOHN BOSTICK RANSOM
John Bostick Ransom, late of Nashville, was for many years one of the most prominent and esteemed business men of the city, and his death, which occurred January 5, 1910, was deeply deplored throughout the community. He was born, March 14, 1861, in Fayetteville, Tennessee, a son of George and Elizabeth (Bostick) Ransom, of whom further notice may be found elsewhere in this biographical volume. From the Nashville Banner of January 5, 1910, we quote the following brief sketch of Mr. Ransom: "Mr. John Bostick Ransom died today at 6:50 o'clock. In his death Nashville has lost one of her most progressive, charitable, and likeable citizens. He was a captain of industry; a self-made man of the strongest type to be found anywhere; and the entire community in which he has been such a factor for good is impoverished and saddened by his death, in the very prime of his manhood. He was the head of the John B. Ransom Lumber Company, probably the largest hardwood lumber company in the South. He was the son of George and Elizabeth (Bostick) Ransom, his mother being a member of one of the most prominent families of Triune, Williamson county, and of Scotch lineage, and his father of English ancestry. The Ransoms were among the first settlers of middle Tennessee, moving there from South Carolina.
"Mr. Ransom received his education in the rural schools, and at the age of seventeen went to Murfreesboro, where he later entered the lumber business. The business expanded rapidly, and in 1889 the headquarters was removed to Nashville. A few years later his brother, Arthur B. Ransom, was admitted as a partner. From a modest beginning the firm of John B. Ransom & Company has grown to enormous proportions. For the last year or two the company has handled between fifty and sixty millions feet of hard wood timber per annum, a business of something over $1,500,000, its operations extending from the Allegheny mountains to midway of the Mississippi delta.
"Mr. Ransom was a man of large affairs, and splendid executive ability. In addition to building up the largest hard wood lumber business in the South, he devoted much time to other enterprises. He was president of the Nashville Hardwood Flooring Company, of West Nashville, which is the largest and most perfectly equipped plant of its kind in the southern states. He was president of the Conasauga Lumber Company, at Conasauga, Tennessee, and of the Gayoso Lumber Company, of Memphis. He was vice-president, and a large stockholder, of the W. J. Cude Land and Lumber Company, which maintains branches at Kimmins, Tennessee, and at Cude, Mississippi. He was a director in the American National Bank, and in the Nashville Tie and Cedar Company. He was president of the Nashville Transportation Company, which operates a line of barges and tow-boats on the Cumberland river. He was president of the Tennessee Realty and Warehouse Company of Chattanooga, which owns a number of warehouses in that city.
"Mr. Ransom was also largely interested in a large block of yellow pine timber in the state of Durango, Mexico. He took an active interest in promoting and placing on a high plane the lumber interests of the country, being a member of several associations, and, in 1908, was president of the Hardwood Manufacturers Association of the United States, the largest organization of lumbermen in the hardwood trade in America.
"Mr. Ransom had ever conducted his affairs on the highest plane, which won for him the confidence, respect, and admiration of those with whom he had business dealings, and with whom he was associated. His far-reaching popularity is more clearly realized when it is known that he was several times elected president of the Hardwood Manufacturers Association, and for a number of years had been president of the Nashville Lumbermen's Association. His splendid ability obtained recognition in many fields other than that of commerce. He was a member of the Vanderbilt Board of Trust, and of the Book Committee of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He was a member of the committee having in charge the erection of the buildings of the Hermitage Hotel; the Young Men's Christian Association; and the Young Women's Christian Association.
"Mr. Ransom's advice and judgment were eagerly sought on all occasions when large interests were involved. He was a tremendous success, having from a humble beginning accumulated a large fortune without having in any way changed his nature. He was at all times generous and charitable, giving liberally to every worthy cause within his notice. He is said to have had more friends than any other business man in Nashville.
"While Mr. Ransom was a prominent figure in lumber circles, both of this country and of Europe, he was a man of simple habits, loving home and friends, and caring little for show. He had never sought honors, but accepted many, more as a matter of duty than because he was ambitious. He was a man of broad Christianity, exemplifying in his life the truest type of manhood the country has ever known. He was a leading member of the West End Methodist Episcopal Church, and was for several years chairman of its board of stewards, being a member at the time of his death.
"Mr. Ransom was a man of deep affections, and his home life was beautiful. He was to the immediate family the soul of generosity and tender consideration. Democratic in his tastes, he disliked ostentation. He treated rich and poor, the powerful and the humble, with equal consideration, and the hospitality he extended in his home was wholesome and beautiful. Generous in the extreme, though modest in his charity, to many of the poor people of this community and others he was a kind friend and benefactor. The Old Women's Home is one of the numerous local benevolent organizations which will miss his wise counsel and benevolence. Sometime ago he endowed a memorial room in the home, and at the time of his death was chairman of the advisory board of the home, and as chairman of the building committee he directed the erection of the beautiful new home on West End avenue. He was likewise a director in the United Charities.
"Mr. Ransom married, in 1832, Miss Mary M. Perkins, daughter of Mr. D. P. Perkins, of Murfreesboro. Mrs. Ransom and four children survive. They are Mrs. Richard T. Wilson; John B. Ransom, Jr.; Mary; and Elizabeth." [A history of Tennessee and Tennesseans: the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities. By Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913]
SAMUEL KING RAYBURN
Samuel K. Rayburn was born at Beach Grove, in Bedford County, Tenn., October 15, 1812, and his parents were John and Elizabeth (Shanklin) Rayburn, both natives of Botetourt County, Va. He was reared on his father's farm, educated at the common schools; came to Alabama with his parents in 1819, and to Guntersville in 1834, where he engaged at mercantile business. With the exception of two years, he was a merchant until 1847, at which time he volunteered as a member of Capt. James M. Gee's Independent Company, and served in the Mexican War. In 1848 he returned to Guntersville; was elected Clerk of the Circuit Court in 1840, and held the office eight years. In 1857 he was elected to the State Senate. In November, 1858, he was elected President of the Tennessee & Coosa Railway Company, and held the office until 1808. In 1801, by the people of Marshall, Jackson, DeKalb and Cherokee Counties, he was elected Major-General of the militia. In 1862 he resigned, and was appointed on the staff of Governor Moore, and in the fall of the same year raised a company of volunteers, was commissioned Captain (Company B, Forty-eighth Alabama), served until compelled by sickness to resign, returned home, and in the early part of 1863 received the appointment of Deputy Collector of Revenue. He held this position until the close of the war. From 1870 to 1876 he was also County Solicitor, and for the past five or six years has acted as Justice of the Peace, and has been several times Mayor of Guntersville. He was one of the organizers of the Tennessee & Coosa Railroad, has been one of its Directors ever since, and its Secretary for the past ten years. He is one of the foremost men in the upbuilding and improvement of the country, and is particularly interested in the welfare of Guntersville. March, 1840, Mr. Hay burn was married to Sarah Davenport. His only son, by this marriage, Capt. John Rayburn, was a graduate of Cumberland University; was a captain in the Ninth Alabama Infantry, commanded by Colonel Wilcox, and lost his life at Sharpsburg, Md. Sarah (Davenport) Rayburn, having died January, Mr. Rayburn, in May, 1861, was married to Mrs. Evergreen Findley, nee Rainney. She was killed in 1862 by the explosion of a shell thrown into the town of Guntersville, by the enemy. December, 1863, at Guntersville, Ala., Mr. Rayburn was married to Miss Nannie Nix, and to this union five children have been born: Bessie; John; Samuel K.; William C.; and Jennie. Mrs. Rayburn died November, 1874, and on May 1, 1880, Miss Jane Warren, of DeKalb County, this State, became the fourth Mrs. Samuel K. Rayburn. [Source: Northern Alabama Historical & Biographical by T.A. DeLand and A. Davis Smith 1888 Birmingham AL [C. Walters' note: Buried in Marshall Co AL - Guntersville City Cemetery ]
SAMUEL KING RAYBURN
Samuel King Rayburn, merchant, Major-General of militia, was born in Beach Grove, Bedford County, Tenn., October 15, 1812,(Headstone-Find-A-Grave shows birth in 1811) and died July 15, 1892, at Guntersville; son of John and Elizabeth (Shanklin) Rayburn, both natives of Botetourt. Va., the former who moved to Barren County, Ky., about 1795, and thence to Tennessee, where he settled about fifty miles from Nashville, the latter who was a daughter of Capt. John Shanklin, who served in the Revolutionary War; grandson of John and Jean (McClarin) Rayburn, the former who was a large land owner, and settled in Botetourt County, Va., near Salem, the latter who was of Scotch birth; great-grandson of Henry Rayburn and a Miss Ross, the former who emigrated to America from the north of Ireland some years before the Revolutionary War, and settled in Virginia, east of the Alleghanies, near the Roanoke River, the latter who was a native of north Ireland. He received a common school education, and in 1819 came to Alabama with his parents. In 1834 he went to Guntersville, where he engaged in the mercantile business, and with the exception of two years was in that business until 1847, when he volunteered as a member of Capt. John M. Gee's Independent company, and served in the Mexican War. He returned to Guntersille in 1848; was elected, in 1849, as clerk of the circuit court of Marshall County, which office he held for eight years; in 1857, was elected to the State senate; and in November, 1858, was elected president of the Tennessee & Coosa Railroad Company, holding that office until 1868. In 1861, at the outbreak of the War of Secession, he was elected by the people of Marshall, Jackson, DeKalb, and Cherokee Counties, major-general of militia, resigned in 1862, and was appointed on the staff of Gov. Moore. In the fall of the same year he raised a company of volunteers, was commissioned Captain of Co. B, Forty-Eighth Alabama infantry, was compelled by sickness to resign, returned home, and in the early part of 1863, was appointed deputy collector of revenue, which position he held until the close of the war. In 1866, he was appointed register in chancery, holding the office until his death; from 1870-1876, he was county solicitor; was justice of the peace; and mayor of Guntersville, several times.
He was one of the organizers of the Tennessee & Coosa Railroad, was one of its directors and for about ten years held the position of its secretary. He was a Democrat and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. Married: (1) in 1840, to Mrs. Sarah Davenport, who died in January, 1860; (2) in May, 1861, to Mrs. Evergreen (Rainney) Findley, who was killed by the explosion of a shell of the enemy at Guntersville, in 1862; (3) in December, 1863, at Guntersville, to Nannie Nix, who died November, 1874; (4) in May, 1880, to Jane Warren of DeKalb County. Children, by first marriage, 1. Capt. John Rayburn, a graduate of Cumberland University, and a Captain in the Ninth Alabama infantry, commanded by Col. Wilcox, who lost his life at Sharpsburg, Md.; by third marriage, 2. Mrs. Brooking; 3. Samuel King, Jr., b. June 21, 1876, teacher, Guntersville Academy, d. December 23, 1888; 4. John S.; 5. William C.; 6. Mrs. John D. Chandler. Last residence: Guntersville. [History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography, Volume 4 By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen, 1921]
GEORGE W. READ
George W. Read was born in Dyer County, Tenn., November 29, 1824, and is a son of Robert an Elizabeth (Gentry) Read. The father was born October 28, 1796, in Virginia, and immigrated to Tennessee about 1802. He remained in this State up to the time of his death, which occurred in December, 1883. The mother was born in 1802 and died about 1841. Our subject's educational advantages were rather limited, but, notwithstanding, he is considered a man of sound judgment and good sense. September 30, 1846, he wedded Ann E. Brooks, of Rutherford County, Tenn., and the result of this union was the birth of eleven children: Sarah E., Robert C., Mary J., Martha W., Ann E., James C., John B., William L., Lou H., Aldorla and George S. The five eldest died within ten days of each other, of scarlet fever. The tenth died in early childhood. Mr. Read has been very successful in his business transactions. He is scrupulously honest and honorable in every particular. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Democrat in politics. . [History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present…" Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1886]
J. C. READ
J. C. Read was born February 3, 1859, in this State. He is the son of G. W. and Eliza (Brooks) Read. (For further particulars of parents see sketch of G. W. Read.) Our subject was reared on the farm and assisted his father until he was twenty-two years of age. In 1882 and 1883 he was sight-seeing, traveling over Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama and Kentucky. Upon returning home he engaged in agricultural pursuits and this he continued until 1885 at which time he engaged in the merchandising business at Center Grove, in partnership with his brother, W. L. Read. December 18, 1881, our subject wedded Callie J. Bullock, of this county, and to them were born three children: Richard L., Robert A. and George W. Mr. Read is an energetic and active young business man, and has the power and determination to make his mark in the world. Politically he is a Democrat. [History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present…" Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1886]
Name: Anthony Reagor - Rank: --- - State Served: ---
Born 1760, died 1824 in Bedford County, Tennessee, September 7th. He married Margaret Shook Brock December 11, 1789. Both are buried in the Shook Cemetery, Flat Creek, Bedford County, Tennessee with marked graves: A. R. 1760 - 1824 // M. R 1766-1838
Anthony Reagor, born 1760, died September 7, 1824, was one of the earliest settlers on the waters of Big Flat Creek in Bedford County, Tennessee. He married Margaret Shook Brock, born 1766, died September 18, 1838, a widowed daughter of William Shook, on December 11, 1789. He was a Tax Payer in 1812.
1. William, born August 10, 1790 in Knox County, Tennessee
2. John, born January 3, 1792 in Knox County, Tennessee
3. Mary Magdalene, born December 9, 1793, died November 22, 1856, married David Floyd, born June 19, 1786, died December 18, 1856, married 1811, had 9 children. Both are buried in the Shook Cemetery, Bedford County, Tennessee
4. Jacob, born October 10, 1795, died young
5. Anthony Wayne, born June 18, 1797, died June 8, 1846, married Rhoda Boone on December 10, 1820, buried in Boone Cemetery, Bedford County, Tennessee. Tombstone: Rhoda Boone Reagor, born November 17, 1803, died April 23, 1846.
Ref: Cemetery Records of Bedford County, Tennessee by Marsh
Ref: DAR Lineage Book
NOTE: Anthony Reagor was the first Reagor, and wife a Shook, came to Tennessee from North Carolina, and were of German descent.
Robert Reaves, a farmer and stock-raiser, of the Twenty-third District of Bedford County, was born November 14, 1833, and is the son of Isom and Rachel (Morgan) Reaves. The father was a native of North Carolina and when a young man immigrated to Bedford County, Tenn., and settled in the Twenty-third District. He was a farmer and stock-raiser, and was successful in all his undertakings. He was worth considerable property at the time of his death, which occurred January 1, 1871. He was the father of five children: Benjamin, John, Robert, Frances M. and Jane. Isom Reaves was twice married, his first wife being a Miss Chaney Coggens; three children were born to them, all dead but one, named William. Our subject was reared on the farm and received a limited education in the common schools. In 1855 Miss Martha Morgan became his wife and this union resulted in the birth of five children: Bettie F., Mary J., Robert A., Dulcenia and Emmet. Mary J. died in 1869 and Robert A. died the same year. When the war broke out our subject acted as escort to Gen. Forrest. He was under Capt. Little and participated in all the battles in which his command was engaged. He owns a fine track of land and is one of the leading citizens of the county. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
Born: 1758, died 1852 Bedford County, Tennessee, near Richmond.
Buried in the Reavis Graveyard in an unmarked grave.
David Reavis was son of Jesse who died in Surry County, North Carolina and served in the Revolution under General Francis Marion, in a Volunteer Unit.
David was twice married, raised 13 sons and 4 daughters to maturity. In 1817, he moved to Brancheville, in Bedford County, Tennessee, near Richmond and it was here he died in 1852. Six of his sons moved with him, three younger sons were born in Tennessee. Sons who came to Tennessee were: Solomon, Simon, John, Johnson, Isaac Newton and Hardy. David's last wife was Patience.
His service record is from descendents and a Reavis History, published in 1972. No proof of this service has been found by descendents applying for membership in the Sons of the American Revolution through David, but was found for his father Jesse. This in no way means that David did not serve, in fact due to his age and the fact that his father served, it is likely that David did also.
[Ref: Reavis History, published in North Carolina in 1972
Ref: Mr. Grady W. Reavis, deceased, late of Marshall County, Tennessee]
W. M. ROBINSON
Capt. W. M. Robinson, farmer, is a son of James and Maria (Mayfield) Robinson, who was born in Williamson County, Tenn., in 1805, and Bedford County, Tenn., in 1814, respectively. They were farmers and the parents of four children. The mother died in 1838, and the following year the father moved from Bedford County to Marshall County, and in 1844 married Mrs. Anna A. Wilhoite, whose maiden name was Warner. The father was a man of fine intellect and was a teacher for many years. He was a wide-awake and successful business man, and died when only forty-one years of age. Our subject is of Irish-English descent, and was born August 30, 1831. After receiving an academical education, he, at the age of eighteen, began to make his own way in the world by merchandising and lumbering, continuing almost continuously until the present time. Mary C. Orr became his wife August 26, 1841, and eight children were born to their union seven of whom are now living. In the late war he served in Company D, Fourth Tennessee Cavalry, and arose to the rank of First Lieutenant, and was afterward commissioned Captain of his company, being on staff duty the most of the time. He owns a fine farm of 550 acres, a saw-mill in Alabama, and an interest in a store at Farmington. He is a Democrat and a man who has made life a success financially. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
WILLIAM G. RUCKER
Fire insurance agent; born Bedford Co., Tenn., Jan. 10, 1851; Irish descent; son of John W. and Sarah J. (Lowe) Rucker; father was a farmer and mechanic; educated in Bedford Co., Tenn.; began career as a farmer; married Malissa A. Jones Jan., 1872; member F. & A. M., Blue Lodge and Chapter, Shelbyville, Tenn., Knights Templar, Murfreesboro, Tenn., Council Tullahoma, Tenn., Mystic Shrine Chattanooga, Tenn.; Democrat; appointed warden of the Brushey Mountain Branch Prison Feb., 1893 under Gov. Peter Turney's administration; served as deputy sheriff 8 years, high sheriff four years; member of M. E. church, South; has been engaged in present business of fire insurance for past seven years. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
L. H. RUSS
L. H. Russ was born in Lewisburg, Tenn., March 3, 1843. His father, James Russ, was a printer and publisher. He came to Bedford County in 1847 and established a newspaper and continued to publish papers until his death in 1869. The mother was Margaret E. Laird. She died in 1857. Our subject was reared in Shelbyville and learned the printer's trade. In 1869 he, with a brother, established the Shelbyville Commercial and published that paper one year. He then engaged in the grocery business a short time. From 1870 to 1873, he was not settled in any regular business. In 1873 he established the wagon and buggy manufactory which he yet runs. He manufactures the New South wagons, buggies, carriages, etc. He has a stock of about $6,000, and does about $12,000 annual business. He was married in October, 1869, to Theodosia H. Hobbs, daughter of George W. and Sarah Hobbs, residents of this county. Five children have been born to this union, three of whom are now living: George H., James L. and Lucy E. Those who died were Harry L. and Thomas B. Mr. and Mrs. Russ are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and Mr. Russ is a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the I. O. O. F. He was one of the "boys in gray," serving in Forrest's escort from 1863 till December, 1864, when he was captured and held a prisoner till the close of the war. He was Fourth Corporal of the escort. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
ROBERT COLUMBUS RUSS
Robert Columbus Russ, editor and proprietor of the Shelbyville (Tenn.) Commercial, was born in Fayetteville, N. C., September 5, 1824, being one of twelve children - six boys and six girls - born to James and Eunice (Steeley) Russ, both natives of North Carolina; the former being born June 29, 1790, and the latter October 17, 1791, and both of whom died in Shelbyville, Tenn. Our subject's paternal grandparents were William and Hannah Russ, the former being a native of Russia, and the latter of Scotland; and his maternal grandparents were William and Lexy Steeley. Only three of the twelve children born to our subject's parents are living, viz.: our subject, his brother, A. J. Russ, and his sister, Mary Jane Fausett. Our subject set in to learn the "art preservative" in 1840 with his brother James and William L. Berry, in Fayetteville, and began editing and publishing a paper in Shelbyville in 18--, find has continued in that capacity to the present, having published eight papers altogether. Our subject was married to Euphamie M., daughter of John Crawford, at Cedar Springs, Marshall Co., Tenn., December 14, 1848, and to them have been born twelve children - six boys and six girls - all of whom have died except four boys and one girl. The Commercial is the oldest newspaper in Shelbyville, is Democratic, and wields considerable influence as a local and party paper. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
William Russell, editor of the Bedford County Times, was born April 27, 1852, being the son of B. L. and Ermine (Clark) Russell, natives of Kentucky. The father is a retired citizen of Shelbyville, Tenn., and during active life was a merchant tailor by avocation. Mr. Russell is a practical printer, and has held positions on the following papers: The American Union, American Reserve, Commercial, Gazette, of Shelbyville, and on the Rural Sun, of Nashville, the Clarksville Tobacco Leaf, Pulaski Citizen, Fayetteville Express and Chattanooga Times. The Bedford Times was established in February 1886, and is in a flourishing condition. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
ALBERT HAYDEN RUTH
Jeweler; born Shelbyville, Tenn., Sept. 24, 1866; Scotch-Irish descent; son of John Wesley and Fannie Elizabeth (Newton) Ruth; father's occupation jeweler; paternal grandparents George Washington and Anne (Downs) Ruth; maternal grandparents James S. and Caroline (McQuiddy) Newton; educated in public and private schools Shelbyville, Tenn.; has been engaged in the jewelry business since boyhood, and is a member of the firm John W. Ruth & Sons, jewelers, Shelbyville, Tenn., business established by his paternal grandfather Geo. W. Ruth in 1822, who moved to Shelbyville from Raleigh, N. C. and was succeeded by John Wesley Ruth in 1858, when the firm became Jno. W. Ruth, and later was changed to present name, hence business has been conducted continuously and by the same family eighty-nine years; married Julia Gertrude Hammond Dec. 16, 1895; member Masonic Lodges, Blue Lodge and Chapter Mason; also member of Royal Arcanum; Treasurer of Tannehill Chapter No. 40, R. A. M. and treasurer of Corona Council No. 426 Royal Arcanum; Democrat; served several terms as City Councilman and five terms as City Treasurer; former Paymaster Capt. N. G. S. T., with title of Captain, commissioned by Gov. M.R. Patterson; member of Southern Methodist Church. [Source: Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JOHN W. RUTH
John W. Ruth, the clever and enterprising jeweler of Shelbyville, was born February 27, 1839, in Shelbyville, being a son of George W. Ruth. The father was born in Granville County, N. C., in 1799. A short time before George Washington died, when on his last Southern tour, he passed by the house where George W. Ruth was born only a short time before. He stopped and lifted the infant in his arms, and then and there it was named George Washington Ruth in remembrance of the incident and of the great man. The father came to this county in 1822. He married, lived and died here, being a jeweler by occupation. He was a very prominent citizen of the county, and for many years was a magistrate. He was mayor of Shelbyville two terms, and was identified with the public interests all his life. He was a leading member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and for many years was a steward. Politically he was a Democrat. His death occurred in August, 1858. His father was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. The mother of John W. was born in Baltimore County, Md., and came to Shelbyville when quite young. She was born in 1804 and died in 1863. The ancestry of John W. were of Scotch-Irish descent, predominating in Scotch blood. The immediate subject of this sketch was reared in Shelbyville and learned his father's trade, which has been his life time business. He is also joined by his son in the business now, the name of the firm being John W. Ruth & Son. He was elected to the office of mayor of Shelbyville in 1873, and served till 1875. In 1885 he was re-elected to the same office, and is now the incumbent. He was married, in 1865, to Miss Fannie E. Newton, who bore him three children, viz.: Albert H., Anne C. and Weakley D. Mr. Ruth and his two oldest children are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a Knight Templar Mason and a Knight of Honor. Politically he is a Democrat, but conservative in his views. He is a popular, genial and enterprising citizen of Shelbyville. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
RUTLEDGE & THOMPSON
Rutledge & Thompson, dealers in a general line of groceries and provisions in Shelbyville, do a leading business in the town. The firm is composed of John W. Rutledge, Jr., and Thomas L. Thompson. John W. Rutledge, Jr., was born July 20, 1860, being a son of John W. Rutledge, Sr. He was married, December 26, 1884, to Katie Nease, the result of this union being one son, John H. Mr. Rutledge is Captain of the Shelbyville Hook and Ladder Company and an enterprising young business man. Thomas L. Thompson was born August 4, 1850, to the marriage of Thomas Thompson and Tranquilla Stephens. Both parents were natives of Bedford County, the mother being of North Carolina ancestry. The father was a farmer and Thomas L. was reared on a farm. He was married, February 25, 1875, to Miss Eunice M. Rutledge, daughter of John W. Rutledge, Sr. Four children have been born to this union, viz.: Thomas L., Mary A., John W. and Hiram S. The firm of Rutledge & Thompson was established October 24, 1878. They were burned out October 22, 1885, and are now preparing to build a commodious brick building. They also deal in mules and fine horses. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
ALBERT P. RYALL
Albert P. Ryall, M. D., son of Thomas C. and Elizabeth (Scudder) Ryall, was born March 30, 1840. His father was a native of New Jersey, born in April, 1809. Eight children were born to him, viz.: Johnston S., Albert P., Walter S., Thomas, Henry C., Elizabeth R. (deceased), Juliet S. and William (deceased). Mrs. Elizabeth Ryall died in August, 1856. She was a worthy member of the Episcopal Church. Thomas C. Ryall, our subject's father, had the advantage of a good education, and in early life began the study of law. He entered the law school at Trenton, N. J., and graduated from that institution. He then began the practice of law at Freeholm, N. J., but remained there but a short time, as his health was failing. He then traveled extensively in South America, and is now living in Bedford County, and is one of its most highly respected citizens. Our subject had the advantage of a good education in Shelbyville, and in 1860 began the study of medicine. The war coming on broke into his studies, as he enlisted in the Confederate Army in the Twenty-sixth Tennessee Regiment, and was assistant surgeon of that regiment, which position he held thirteen months. He was then assigned surgeon in the hospital at Montgomery. Ala., where he remained ten months. From there he went to Columbus, Ga., in the same capacity. After the war he returned to his county, and in 1865 entered the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, graduating with honors from that institution in 1867. He then went to Augustine, Fla., and began the practice of medicine. At the end of two years be came to Bedford County, and has been practicing his profession here ever since. He has an extensive practice, and is one of the progressive and leading men of the county. He now owns a finely improved farm of 400 acres, find him quite successful in a financial sense. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
THOMAS C. RYALL, SR.
Thomas C. Ryall, Sr., a prominent retired citizen of Bedford County, was born April 19, 1809, in Trenton N. J., his parents being natives of New Jersey, and of English descent. He read law and at the age of twenty-one began the practice of that profession, which he continued in New Jersey for five or six years. He then, on account of his health, accepted an offer from Post Capt. David Deacon, United States Navy, who was ordered to command of the United States Frigate "Brandywine," to accompany him on a cruise three years to the Pacific Coast. In this expedition he served as Captain's Clerk, Judge Advocate on court martial and officiated pro tempore as Secretary to Com. Wadsworth, the Commander of the squadron. On his return, in reward for his services, he was presented with a written request signed by all the officers of the squadron to the proper authorities, to procure a partnership in the naval service, but in New Jersey he met Miss Elizabeth Scudder, of Nashville, and granddaughter of Dr. John Scudder, the famous East Indian missionary. He soon came to Nashville and married her. He has ever since lived in Tennessee and followed farming until about 1880, when, on account of his age, he retired from active business life. He owns about 800 acres of land and a very fine fruit orchard. Mr. Ryall's married life was blessed in the births of nine children; six of whom are living, viz.: Johnston S., a farmer and merchant in Alabama; Dr. A. P. Ryall, a physician, of this county; Walter, growing oranges in Florida; Thomas C., merchandise broker, of Shelbyville; Henry C., lumberman, of Shelbyville; and Juliet, wife of Brom R. Whitthorne, Cashier of the National Bank of Shelbyville. Mrs. Ryall departed this life August 13, 1857. Politically, Mr. Ryall was a Whig, but is now a Democrat. He is now one of the prominent and highly respected citizens of the county. [Goodspeed's History of Tennessee]
THOMAS C. RYALL, JR.
Thomas C. Ryall, Jr., son of Thomas C. Ryall, Sr., was born October 5, 1843, in Bedford County. He was reared on a farm. At the age of sixteen he enlisted in the Forty-first Tennessee Regiment in the late war. He was in the service about three years, making his escape from Camp Morton prison, Indianapolis, Ind. He then returned home and remained for three or four years. He then lived in Alabama for about three years, engaged in farming and merchandising. He then returned to Shelbyville, where he has been engaged in merchandising and the brokerage business. His main line of brokerage is in tobacco. He was married, January 11, 1881, to Miss Mattie Baldwin, of Canton, Miss., the fruit of this union being one daughter - Ellie. Politically he is a Democrat, and, as are the other members of the family, he is highly respected for his enterprise. [The Goodspeed History of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford, Marshall TN 1886]
BACK -- HOME