Bedford County TN Biographies

WILLIAM MURRY FISHER

Old House Being Moved to Nashville for Modern Home

Murry Fisher, of the Hickory Hill community has sold the big log hou se on his farm on the Hickory Hill road between that place and the Unionvi lle highway to a Nashville man who plans to use the material in the buildi ng to put up an old-time log residence in the capital city. The buildi ng is considerable over 100 years old and is built or red cedar logs -- mo st of them 27 feet long, with an ash floor of butted boards and poplar cei ling. The rafters are pegged, rather than nailed and the old house has wi thstood many storms of great intensity in its time. A feature of the o ld house is the heavy poplar doors, with hand wrought iron hinges and fixt ures. These iron fixtures are to be featured in the Nashville house. T he old house had three doors in the front part and was 60 feet long wi th an extra wide stone fireplace and chimney. This stone fireplace and ch imney is also being torn down and removed to Nashville in its entirety. This old house was the birthplace, Mr. Fisher states, of former Sheri ff Jim Williams and others of the Williams family and is known as the o ld Matt Williams home. In tearing down the old house Mr. Fisher found a number of old handpre ss printed books in the walls of an upper floor which date back to 183 8. A "Federal Calculator or Scholar's Assistant" --- a book of short cu ts to mathematical problems, with different tables of measurement of th at day by "Thomas T. Smiley --- Teacher" and published in 1838, was o ne of these books, and the most interesting. It was bound in sheep, hand s ewn and paper and ink had deteriorated very little in the one hundred yea rs of use and neglect between the walls. This book, the property of Jose ph F. Perkins, had several hand written inscriptions and dates. Among whi ch were: "Joseph F. Perkins was born April 5th, 1823- -- this April 2, 184 3, Bedford County, TN." And also "Joseph F. Perkins-- His Book--this Mar ch the 31st, 1841," the writing of which was in the studied style of the 1 840's. The name of Thomas W. Clanton is also found in the book. Another book was a copy of the "Family Christian Almanac"--- a three-ye ar almanac with a smattering of general knowledge and probably a forerunn er of the present annual "World's Almanac" of our day. The almanac, wi th an appendix "The Tennessee Almanac," was published by S. B. and G. D. J ohnson--wholesale and retail dealers in family medicines, Memphis. The app endix deals with 1850. The almanac proper was for the years 1847, 184 8, and 1849 and some very interesting data--geographical, industrial, a nd historical is to be found in the publication--data which is very illumi nating on the growth of the nation since the 1840's.
Thomas C. Fisher and William Murry Fisher Home - Copied from (The Bedford County Times) March 25, 1938

Cedar Logs of Century-Old House in Bedford To Be Used in Building Nashvil le Residence

Nearly every cedar log in Bedford County in time reaches one of the thr ee pencil factories in Shelbyville. The chance of a log or post dodging t hat destiny is about one in ten thousand. But some red cedar logs that were cut and hewn about the time Captain H unter was recruiting a company of Bedford Countians to fight in the seco nd Seminole War, will not be used to form the outer shell for pencil lead s. Rather, they will resume the roll that has been theirs for more th an a century and form the wall for an old--style log house in the capit al city of Tennessee.

Murry Fisher stopped planting potatoes on his farm in the Hickory Hi ll community this week long enough to rip off the roof and remove the weat her-boarding form a two-and-a- half story cedar log house he has sold to a Nashville man. Since the de al was handled through a third party, Fisher knows only that the purchas er is a Mr. Steele, and that he plans to erect a cedar-log residence in t he Iris City. Almost extinct as a type of architecture is the two-story, plus a comfo rtably-sized attic, log house and the razing of the Fisher structure beca me more or less an event in the Hickory Hill section near Unionville. One point of interest among residents who were acquainted with the hou se and frequently had questioned why it had stood so staunchly against win ds of violent velocity without a quiver, led to a general inspection of h ow it was put together. The conclusion was that it was "built to stand." Spikes, bars, and nail-pullers that make short work of razing a mode rn structure are rather weak weapons in an attact on rafters and joists th at are mortised and pegged. A 40- penny nail may be buried to the he ad by a few strokes of a good hammer, and it may be pulled as quickly. B ut a one-inch peg in a locked mortise yields reluctantly to any weapon.

With the exception of the shorter cuts to premit openings for doors a nd windows, most of the logs in the Fisher house are 27 feet long and seem ingly as sound as they were when put in place, well over a hundred years a go. Floors were of ash and all joists and bracings were of heavy yellow p oplar, the same material being used for the heavy doors that swung on hand hammered iron hinges. A stone fireplace and chimney are being torn down and will be rebuilt in to the Nashville home. The residence was known as the old Mat Williams home, but there is cons iderable uncertainty as to the identity of the builders. It was the birth place of Jim Williams, one- time sheriff of Bedford County, and twel ve of his brothers and sisters. "I kinda hate to see it go away from here," mused Fisher as the vertic al light of a setting sun burnished the red surface of the western walls. Copied from (The Nashville Tennessean) March 31, 1938 // By J. Percy Priest - Shelbyville, TN, March 30

Source found at Rootsweb World Connect from Robin

Back Home