Bedford County TN

Jenkins Chapel

Shelbyville Tennessee

Photo by Kim Shockey June 2005
At Find-A-Grave

Portrait Of Rev. Wm. Jenkins Unveiled
Sunday afternoon, August 23, 1936, there was unveiled at Jenkins Chapel, Lutheran church, located six miles east of Shelbyville the portrait of Rev. William Jenkins, the founder and first pastor of this congregation which bears his name. The congregation was founded in 1835, and was first known as Cedar Hill. This dedication service, therefore, represents the centennial celebration of the church.

The splendid portrait was painted in oils by Edwin Shofner, great grandson of Rev. Jenkins and was given by him to Jenkins Chapel. Mr. Shofner was born near Haley and at present teaches architectural drawing in Memphis. Mr. Shofner presented the portrait to the congregation with appropriate remarks about his great-grandfather, and his twin son and daughter unveiling the picture. Rev. C. H. Armstrong, pastor of Jenkins Chapel, was in charge of the service, and accepted the portrait in the name of the congregation and the church council. Part of the service was a vocal solo by Miss Catherine Shofner, of Nashville, a great great granddaughter of Rev. Jenkins.

William Jenkins was born in Frederick Town, Maryland in 1802. In 1825 he was appointed by the North Carolina Synod of the Lutheran church to minister to the Lutherans in Tennessee, located on Duck River. He preached his first sermon in the county at Crowell's Chapel in the 11th District in October of that year. Rev. Jenkins married in Bedford County, Miss Mary Euless a member of a prominent pioneer Lutheran family. William Jenkins was a strong man mentally, physically, and spiritually. He left an impress upon the life of Bedford County that the years have not yet effaced. He was a man of compelling personality, and a splendid pulpit orator. He had many chances to serve in city churches but chose to give his services to the churches of Bedford County. Rev. Jenkins was, however, well known though out the Snod. He founded Lutheran churches in many parts of this county, one of which was the First Lutheran Church of Nashville, 1859. He was accounted a man of liberal views and numbered many friends outside of his own denomination. Rev Jenkins died at his home on Thompson Creek in 1875 after serving his churches and Bedford County for fifty years.

Shelbyville Gazette - August 27, 1936, page 1

Jenkins Chapel Cemetery

Cemetery Listing

Photo by Kim Shockey June 2005/Find-A-Grave

The names and dates differ but the building looks to be the same church

Back Home