Benton County
Tennessee
Biographies


PAVATT, Stephen Congo
Stephen Congo Pavatt (1808-1863) was a native of Sumner County who was educated and trained in law, which he practiced in Waverly and Huntingdon before moving to Camden in 1846. He served in the state House of Representatives 1833-1837, the state Senate 1851-1853, and chancellor of the Sixth Chancery District 1854-1861. He was a man who cherished the classics and was credited with naming Waverly, based on Sir Walter Scott's Waverly novels. Waverly became the county seat of Humphreys County in 1838. Pavatt was said to have been a man of great dignity of bearing and possessed unusual legal talents. The Pavatts lived for many years on their large farm at the confluence of Eagle Creek with the Tennessee River, long called Pavatt's Landing.

PARKER, J. Calvin
Farmer; born Benton Co., Tenn., March 6, 1875; son of W.R. and M.E. (Alston) Parker; received common school education; married Anna E. Robbins Sept. 3, 1893; member F. & A.M.; secretary Newport Lodge 208; Tax Assessor 1903 to 1906, Justice of Peace from 1906 to the present; Deputy Sheriff 1900 to 1902; followed Adam Garner and George Pickle, desperadoes wanted for crime and who had baffled all attempts at arrest, and finally captured them in Illinois and brought them back to trial; member M.E. church, South.
Source: Who’s Who in TN. Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler

PERKINS, Ephraim
One of Benton County's earliest settlers and an astute politician, Ephraim Perkins, acquired a large farm on Burnside Creek, about two miles north of Camden. A veteran of the War of 1812, he was chairman of the county court several times, a local land entry-taker, and a land speculator. Perkins' neighbors were Edward Gwin Hudson (1790-1836), whose descendants are still in the county, and his brother, Dawsey Philemon Hudson (1785- 1866), who was county court clerk of Humphreys County, 1810- 1836, and first circuit court clerk of Benton County, 1836-1848. He died while serving as clerk and master of chancery. About 1828 he built the county's first cotton gin on his Burnside Creek farm.
Excerpt from "Tennessee County History Series" by Jonathan K.T. Smith
From Find-A-Grave: Maintained by Sharon M. Bledsoe original created by Rick Lambert.
Cemetery notes and/or description: On a hill approximately 300 yards directly behind the home of Lanier Vick at 1595 Flatwoods Road, north of Camden on the property owned by Billy Mitchell. There are no markers in this cemetery. They were vandalized years ago. There are approximately 12 unmarked graves, with only two identified. It is believed that Ephraim (1795-3 Aug 1866) and his wife Lucinda (1802-1853) are buried here.



Home