Jo. G. Hudson, merchant of Camden Tenn., and a native of Kentucky was born near Glasgow, Ky., September 7, 1837, son of James G. and Margaret (Stayton) Hudson, natives respectively of Tennessee and Kentucky. The father spent the greater part of his life in Henry County, Tenn., removing to this county in 1859, and followed farming near Camden until his death in February, 1885. Jo. G. was raised on the farm and received a limited education. In 1861 he enlisted in Company C, Fifth Regiment Tennessee Confederate Infantry, serving as private and noncommissioned officer in the late war until the surrender. After the war he followed farming until 1880 when in March he came to Camden and engaged in the saloon business. In March, 1881, he engaged in the dry goods, grocery and general merchandise business, in which he has continued to the present time under the firm name of J. G. Hudson & Co. July 9, 1886, his store was made the Agricultural Wheel store of Camden. Mr. Hudson has been very successful in his business adventures, carrying a large and select stock of goods, and controls a large trade in the city and county especially among the members of the Agricultural Wheel. In 1867 he married Elmira N. Bell, who died in 1876. They had two children both deceased. On April 15, 1884, he married Mrs. Mary (Barfield) Wyly of Humphreys County, and by this union had one child, John James. Mr. Hudson is independent in politics. He is a Master Mason, a member of the K of H., and is justly recognized as one among the enterprising and successful business men of Camden.