Dr. J. R. Young, whose residence is eight miles northeast of Big Sandy, was born in Stewart County, Middle Tenn., in 1836, and is a son of Elisha and Sarah (Scarborough) Young. The father was born in Dickson County, Tenn., in 1803, and was of English extraction. He was a collier by trade and in connection did farming. At the time of his marriage he was living in Stewart County, and in 1844 he moved to Decatur County, W. Tenn., where he died February, 1845. His wife was born in Stewart County, Tenn., in 1813, and died in 1877. The subject of this sketch was reared at home and received his literary education in the common schools of Stewart and Benton Counties. At the age of fourteen he started out on life's rough road for himself. He worked for some time on the farm as a day laborer. In 1856 he came to Benton County, and soon commenced the study of medicine, his preceptor being Dr. P.B. Adams. He followed the Doctor's advice for nearly a year, and in 1858 engaged in the practice of his chosen profession. October 9, 1860, he married Jane Ross, and to them were born two children: David E. and Mary Jane (Mrs. B. F. Stockdale). Mrs. Young died in 1867, and November of the following year he married Nannie Askew, who bore him seven children: William W., Sallie, Vibella, Elbert and Gilbert (twins), Walter and Flora. The Doctor lost his second wife July 20, 1885, and May 26, 1886, he married Parlee (Wyatt) Metheny. He has been a resident of Benton County since 1856, and since 1858 he has constantly practiced his profession. He has also carried on his farming interests and has 600 acres of good land. In politics the Doctor is a Democrat, and cast his first vote for Breckinridge. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Big Sandy Lodge, No.290, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, the Doctor being a member for the past thirty-eight years.