SULPHUR SPRINGS

Benton County
Tennessee


In the early 1900's it was with great anticipation that a great gathering of many local communities would meet at Sulphur Springs on Easter Sunday for visiting, fellowship, preaching and singing. Easter bonnets worn by the ladies and knee britches by the young men were in evidence wherever you looked in the large gathering. Water was always flowing out from the many springs Some say there are seven different types of water. They are: free stone, white sulphur, hard water, black sulphur, salt, coppers and alum waters flowing in abundance. However, that producing sulphur was most outstanding and consequently the spring waters came to be known as "The Sulphur Springs".

Water was carried by bucket and drunk by the youngsters attending the Sulphur Creek School nearby. The water was and is rampant with a smell similar to that of rotten eggs. The use and popularity of the springs has greatly waned in recent years. The land and springs are now owned by Westvaco Corp.

There are those that recall the tale of the Indians as they were forced to leave this area of the county. As they made their way on the deadly "Trail of Tears" it was heard during a conversation among elderly women as one ancient lady was telling of the Indians making camp at the bottom of a very steep hill, how that on the morning of departure from the camp, there was one old Indian squaw who no longer could keep up, so some braves departed up the hollow and returned without her. The steep hills and valleys are still there. In fact some natives say that the hill is so steep they have to look up their chimneys to see if their cows are coming home to be milked.

Benton County History

Home