Bradley County, Tennessee
Abandoned School Sites
This school was located on the old Epperson farm on east-side of Bucks Pocket Road, one and two tenths of one mile South from the intersection of Ladd Springs and Bucks Pocket Road. The only landmark today are a few virgin trees that were in the school yard. The school was moved from and replaced the Hopedale School.
We would like to have a picture of this school, if anyone has one please notify the county host.
Big Springs School and Templeton Hill School
This school was located in the old section of Spring Place Road at the edge of the city limits of Cleveland. The site was in the North West intersection of Spring Place Road and Johnson Blvd. The school served the community for many years, in 1971 the building burned
The Templeton Hill School in Cleveland located just south of the intersection of Ocoee and Broad Street had been abandoned. The new Jr. High School had been finished and the County was given Templeton Hill School to use until they were able to finish a Jr. High Complex, located somewhere in the Waterville Community, which was named Trewhitt Jr. High School.
Waterville School (Black)
This school was located in the Waterville Community, as given by the annual report of the Superintendent of the Bradley County Schools on June 30, 1913.
This school was for black children in Charleston Tennessee. The site was on the west side of the old hwy. Eleven, a short distance north of the road that crosses the railroad near the south boarder of town and a short distance south of the Baptist Church.
Oak Grove Academy
Chartered on Dec. 16, 1837 it was completed in 1838 and opened in 1840 and closed June 3, 1861. The school reopened in 1867 and closed again in 1903. A marker west of the old Y. M. C. A on the corner of Oak Street and Central Ave. locates the site of this school.
Jr. High Schools
In 1922, Black Fox, Hopewelll, Flint Springs and
Chilcutt each had two years of High School. Starting in 1924, Tasso
had three years of High School, Zion Hill and Cedar Springs each had
one year of High School. The school at Cedar Springs was taught in
the Baptist Church.