CARROLL

COUNTY

TENNESSEE



Town of Atwood

Atwood, four miles southwest of Trezevant and on the same railroad, was established in 1872 on lands owned by J. H. W. Cage. The first merchants of the place were W. H. Scalloin and J. J. Clark. The postoffice was established the, same year, and J. H. W. Cage was the first postmastcr. The town now contains four general stores, a cotton-gin, gristmill and saw-mill, and two churches, Methodist and Baptist, the former hay-in been established in 1859, and the latter in 1874. The village has 118 inhabitants. The Shiloh Cotton Factory was established about the year 1850, in the Ninth Civil District, by Prince, Carson & Co. who prior to the war manufactured cotton yarns. Since the war the property passed into the hands of Messrs. Cheek, Ethridge & Co. who for a number of years manufactured carpet warp. They have recently changed the business and now manufacture woolen goods entirely.

Source: Goodspeeds History of TN

Home