CARROLL

COUNTY

TENNESSEE



Town of Buena Vista

Buena Vista, about eight miles east of Huntingdon, was established about the year 1850 on lands of Thomas A. Pasture. W. P. Chambers, its first merchant, is still in the business there. It has two general stores, a cotton-gin, a Baptist Church and a good academy.
Source: Goodspeeds History of TN

The name translates from the Spanish as "good view." A battle or skirmish at a place called Buena Vista during the Mexican War may have inspired application of the name here.
Tennessee Place-names By Larry L. Miller 2001

Home