CARROLL

COUNTY

TENNESSEE



Town of Clarksburg

The city of Clarksburg, or the "Burg" as the natives call it, had its beginning as a post village around the year 1850. It was established on lands of Peter Wood. Incorporated as a city with Henry McCall as its first mayor and Andy Stewart as its first marshall. The post office was located at what is now Roans Creek and later called Clarksburg for John Clark. The postoffice was established July 8, 1847, John C. Clark postmaster.

The street lights were oil lamps on posts which were tended by the town marshall. The oldsters tell us that at one time there were five saloons here and four doctors. Kelly Clark wsa the first merchant. Merchandise was hauled from Brodies Landing (Near Parsons Decatur Co TN) on the Tennessee River. In later years after the railroad was built the merchandise was hauled from Yuma in wagons.

At one time Homer Pritchard and Milton Joyner, merchants, bought five hundred rabbits at three cents each and sold them to "Aunt Ellen" for ten cents each." Aunt Ellen was six feet four inches tall, lived in Huntingdon. SHe came in a four-horse wagon to get the rabbits.

In 1850 the city had a population of 100. Three gneeral stores, a grist mill, and a cotton gin. Among the first settlers weer the Clarks, Johnsons, McCalls and the Belews. Two docotrs that have had an influence in the area are Dr. Dudley S. Laws and Dr. H.D. McGill. Dr. Laws had an intellect of extraordinary brilliancy and was a master of all mathematical branches with a good knowledge of languages. Besides being a doctor he was trustee of Clarksburg Male and Female Academy. Edith Laws Pendergrass was the last baby he delivered. His son-in-law, Dr. R.R. Wilson began his practice here and later moved to Huntingdon.

Dollar Hill has always been associated with Clarksburg. In bad weather people always dreaded coming home because of the hill. People claim that they have backed up Dollar Hill because of the low quantity of gas in the car, this method made the climb easier. But with all the hardships it provided a place for the young people to meet on Sunday afternoon.

The people of Clarksburg have always had a great interest in education, they now have a four year high school run by a Special School District. The school is the center of all community activities. It has produced a group of graduates who have a feeling of loyalty with a strong alumni association that has been in existence for many years. W.I. Denton was principal for twenty three years. His influence for good is still strong in the community.

Since the city gave up its charter so long ago, most people do not know that it was incorporated in the early days. In 1968 a new charter was granted and it became incorporated again with J.M. Therrell as its mayor and Leon Bennett and Faye Maness as Alderman. It now had street lights, a city water system, a modern Superette, Cafe, three stores, a cotton gin, two churches, a four year high school, a feed mill, postoffice and a fabric shop. The present mayor is Jimmy McClure, alderman Jerry Cannon and Michael Todd.

Source: "Carroll County Tennessee 1781 - 1886"

Clarksburg, nine miles south of Huntingdon, is a post village which was established about the year 1850 on lands of Peter Wood. Kelly Clark was its first merchant. It has three general stores, a drug store, grist-mill, cotton-gin and about 100 inhabitants.

Source: Goodspeeds History of TN

Home