SCHOOLS

Of

Carroll Co TN


Bethel College

Dollar School

McTyeire Training School in McKenzie

Pond Branch School

Spanish Grove School

Among the pioneer school teachers of the county were Soloman Perry, Wm. H. Province, Henry M. Bunch and Samuel Winn. In early times there were but few schools in the county, and they were supported by the subscription of the parents patronizing them, and were all of a primary character. Later as the population increased, academies were established at the villages throughout the county, and more competent teachers were employed. But all children residing at too great distance to attend such academies, and whose parents were not able to send them away to school, had but meager opportunities for obtaining an education before the inauguration of the free school system adopted since the civil war. Some statistics from the report of S. E. Tucker, the county school superintendent, for the last school year, 1886, will show the progress being made under this system. The items copied are as follows: "Scholastic population: White—male, 3,190; female, 3,129; total, 6,319. Colored—male, 1,008; female, 1,017; total, 2,025. Pupils enrolled in the schools during the year: White—male, 2,414; female, 2,214; total, 4,628. Colored—male, 648; female, 660; total, 1,308."

From the foregoing it will be seen that of the scholastic population 1,791 white children, more than one-fourth of the whole number, and 717 of the colored children, nearly one-third of the whole number, were not enrolled in the public schools. This proves that the free school system is not as yet well sustained in this county. This is probably due to the fact that there were seventeen private schools sustained in the county during the same year. Several of the small villages each sustained a good academy. Huntingdon has a high school which employs a principal and two assistant teachers. This school is run five months in the year under the free school system, and five months as a private school. The county of Carroll is fortunate in having two good colleges, both located at the town of McKenzie, viz.: Bethel College and McTyeire Institute. The former was founded at McLemoresville in 1847, and became a chartered school in 1850. Its presidents before the civil war, named in succession, were Rev. B. N. Roach, Rev. C. J. Brady, Rev. A. Freeman, D. D., and Rev. Felix Johnson, D. D. The school was suspended during the continuance of the civil war, after which Rev. B. W. McDonald, D. D., Rev. J. S. Howard, A. M., and Rev. M. Liles, were presidents until 1871, when the school was moved to McKenzie, and Rev. W. W. Hendricks, then conducting the Hendricks High School, was chosen president. He superintended the construction of the main building, consisting of eight rooms, at a cost of $7,000. Two additional rooms were joined to the main building in 1886. The whole is constructed of brick, and finished in modern architectural style. Dr. Hendricks served as president until 1882, when he was succeeded by W. B. Sherrill, who served until June 1886, when Rev. John L. Dickens was unanimously chosen to fill that office. The college has an excellent faculty, a thorough course of study, and about 200 students in attendance.


Home