Carter County was founded in 1796. It was named in honor of Landon Carter, who was treasurer of the Washington Hamilton Districts; speaker of the first State of Franklin Senate, later becoming its secretary of state; also lieutenant colonel of the Washington District Militia.
Carter is one of the extreme eastern counties of the State, and is very mountainous, having only a small proportion of arable land, lying along the streams, which is generally very fertile. Elizabethton is the county seat and has a population of 362. Other towns are, Hampton and Carter's Depot. The Watauga, Doe and Buffalo rivers are navigable in favorable stages. The water power in Carter county is excellent. The timber is abundant, consisting of white pine, oak, hickory, poplar, hemlock,
chestnut and many other varieties. The minerals are iron, lead, silver, and manganese. Considerable iron was formerly made in the county, but the furnaces are now out of blast in consequence of litigation. The principal agriealtural products are
corn, wheat, oats, rye, buckwheat and potatoes. There are two woolen mills at Elizabethton, which is situated at the junction of the Doe and Watauga rivers, and is reached by the Western North Carolina Railroad. The East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Railroad passes through the county. The principal religious denominations are Methodists and Baptists.